The music of paganism. . . as I come out of christianity

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The music of paganism. . . as I come out of christianity

Post by DeavonReye on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I was on Youtube, this afternoon, and found a lot of various chants ("goddess" chant, "earth is my mother" chant, "Elemental" chant, etc). Coming out of christianity, having gone to a mega church, with all the instruments and modern style, . . . it got me wondering how strong music is in paganism. The chants are nice, but I'm guessing that there isn't a huge thrust for "worship music".

What is your thoughts on this?

Thanks.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: The music of paganism. . . as I come out of christianity

Post by John T Mainer on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Our music was pagan long before the thin veneer of Christianity was placed over it. The fact that devotional music from the Christian era tends to suck is simply the result of their success in eliminating the vibrant cultures that Pagan Europe knew.

Most of our faiths include celebratory music, but in Asatru we don't really do a lot of worship music. Faith is a part of life, and music is born of life. To separate the sacred from normal life is to separate the music from the life that birthed it, weakening both.

Christian music is so.......dead boring. Wiccan chants born from the English 18th century are.......still pretty boring. Love the pioneers and what they did, but they sprang from a culture that had beaten joy and creativity out of sacred music, and it really showed.

You find more Pagan spirit in March of Cambreadth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrnF844_ww than some of the Goddess chants. Some of the Pan chants almost recaptured the wild power that burns in the blood of the folk, but most of the early stuff is still too pasteurized to touch to power of the gods.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:00 pm

Several of the Pagans I've known simply used Celtic stuff, vocals or instrumentals either one.

Until she became trite, a lot of them liked Enya, too.

As John says, who needs specialized music for celebrating being alive? I've felt holier cranking up Janis Joplin, The Beatles or The Doors than I ever felt listening to churchy music.

And when it comes right down to it, the best music for worship is a stream bouncing over a rocky bed, raindrops dripping from branches, the honk of geese flying overhead, a wolf's howl in the distance on a moonlit night...
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Clannad is good; Enya I like only in measured doses.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Because of my background, I have to approach topics based upon it, . . . .even if it is the wrong way to look at it in the pagan type religions. Why I bring up the "worship music", is beause it is used to "adore god/jesus", . . . but then in paganism, maybe there isn't a "need" for a deity to expect the adoration of us humans.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Joan Baez is a religious experience for me.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Because of my background, I have to approach topics based upon it, . . . .even if it is the wrong way to look at it in the pagan type religions. Why I bring up the "worship music", is beause it is used to "adore god/jesus", . . . but then in paganism, maybe there isn't a "need" for a deity to expect the adoration of us humans.

There's a lot of variation among Pagans, so it's difficult to make pronouncements about "what Pagans believe/do."

However, I think it's fair to say that the majority regard their deities as friends more than stern parents who expect certain duties to be performed and will become angry if their worshippers don't do that. Just as you'd show respect and honor to much-loved friends, you do that to your deities as well, which is part of the reason why I said that celebrating being alive is probably more important to the Pagans I know.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am

Hmmm. . . Yes, I can see that. I see "the desire/requirement of being worshipped" as a selfish pretentiousness that isn't very advanced. And the idea of "a parent" is oh so true. It's like someone needing a parent figure to keep them in line. I don't want to get sidetracked.......

So, anyway, I can see what you're saying. Thank you for posting, Dot!
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:48 am

Slight digression here since this book isn't about Pagan music. It's a very good overview of Paganism, however, recommended to me some years ago by hubby who's Pagan.

Entitled Pagan Gods For Today's Man: A Beginner's Guide. It covers far more than merely summarizing the nature and role of each deity within Paganism. Basically, it encompasses a male Pagan's role within the worship context as well as how a man relates to women from a Pagan standpoint, including dealing with the fact that a good many Pagan deities are feminine.

Here's the link to it on Amazon: Book sold here

This might be of interest and use to you since you're moving toward "freaky faiths," Very Happy Deavon.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:59 pm

LOL. . . . . Thanks, Dot. . . I'll check that out.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by giertruidis on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Check out Gabrielle Roth. Her stuff is designed and a dance /prayer. ie sweating your prayers.
Gabrielle Roth

giertruidis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top