Tech Lust

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tech Lust

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:18 pm

So does anyone intend to buy the new iPad?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Tech Lust

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Nope, I only favor tech that supports open programming
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm

gillyflower wrote:So does anyone intend to buy the new iPad?

I wouldn't own an Ipod if I hadn't won one in a contest a few years ago. Razz

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 pm

I own several of their products and I'm very, very happy with them. Of course, I must wrangle with Microsoft products all day + old computers + the public. It is not a pretty combination. When I come home I want something that just works and I have had excellent luck with Apple. If I traveled a lot, the new iPad would be perfect. As it is, I'd like one but I'm not so sure I'd use it very much.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 pm

I work with apple at work!

I have pcs at home.

I want this machine! I actually would settle for any mac at the house, but this one has a price tag I can think about affording.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:47 am

I doubt it.

From what hubby told me about it, it does a lot of what my iPhone can do, only the iPad is bigger. Bigger could be an advantage for my aging eyes, but that's about it.

Hubby mentioned it as being useful for reading books since you can view an entire page at once rather than having to scroll or auto-scroll so much.

However, I don't really like to read books on such devices. Dammit! I want to sniff that incomparable fresh new book or funky library odor as I turn the pages savoring both the reading and the tactile experience of a real damned BOOK.

I've gotta admit, however, that it's useful not having to wait eternally at the doctor's or dentist's office without something good to read when I can get out my iPhone and have a choice of over 200 complete texts of literary classics. Geez, that's a sizable library for a lot of people.

So, I'll probably get one ultimately. I'm thinking about how I maintained for a few years that I didn't need a microwave to heat up leftovers. Umm...yeah.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm

I don't have an iphone. So I am not duplicating any technology.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I want this machine! I actually would settle for any mac at the house, but this one has a price tag I can think about affording.

You realize you can get a Mini for the same price as the iPad? We love our Minis.

I've had no interest in an iPod or and iPhone. I'm considering an iPad, though I won't dream of getting one until a couple of generations of development are in the can.

I see complaints about it not having a camera or a phone--I don't want another phone or camera. It appears some of the models will have GPS, which makes it a navigation aid when traveling someplace new (or much of anywhere for my wife). The ebook capabilities--with a screen large enough to be useful--interest me, as it doesn't use only a proprietary format. I also don't care about it not having Flash. None of the criticisms I've read have seemed significant to me, so I expect I may want one before long.

I'd rather have an actual Apple netbook that will run all of my desktop apps while being smaller than standard notebooks. It doesn't appear as if Apple will produce any, though.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't need that. I have a desktop model I vastly prefer to a laptop (it is becoming dated so that might be my purchase) and I got a laptop a while back, thinking I'd use it more than I do. I need something that I can use to write with when out at Writer's group, for example. The iPad would work perfectly for me, but the laptop is paid for. Smile When it gets replaced I'll go to an iPad or something like it.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:57 pm

I want a netbook because my work has taken me away from home for a night or two each week on a regular basis; the next job I land may do the same. When I'm in a motel room somewhere, I'm not getting email and the like. More importantly, I'm not able to work on any projects due to the lack of a computer.

I don't want a full-sized laptop because it's too big to store easily in my bag and I'm not carrying an extra bag just for a laptop. A netbook is a good size, though, as it's small enough to get packed easily and the screen is large enough for me to use.

The iPad interests me because it's a good size for travel and I can at least take care of online stuff while away from home. The ebook reading--on a screen large enough for me to bother with--is attractive, too. I still won't be able to compose music because it won't run my scoring app. It would be much closer to what I want than anything else available, though, so I'm interested.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 pm

AutumnalTone wrote:I see complaints about it not having a camera or a phone--I don't want another phone or camera. It appears some of the models will have GPS, which makes it a navigation aid when traveling someplace new (or much of anywhere for my wife).

Don't count on its being a reliable GPS unless that feature is significantly improved. Hubby has a 3G iPhone with GPS, and the GPS sucks mightily. It frequently doesn't identify our current location closer than 5-10 miles from where we know we are and could be useless if we tried to rely on it when lost. Some help a planned route is when it starts from a point six or seven miles from where you are that you can't get to easily, which we've had happen! We bought a Magellan which is much better.

Our iPhones STILL won't route us onto the stretch of a local interstate that was closed for a couple of years until late fall of this past year. Who knows why, but we'd lived here for several months before the iPhone quit trying to get us to take the closed segment--the most direct route between us and several places in St. Louis proper--and wouldn't route us another way. Now, we'll likely go several more months until the iPhone gets it into its wee electronic mind that the road is open.

Alll but useless oftentimes, especially if you're in an unfamiliar place.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm

But then, come to think of it, no GPS is consistently reliable. You are still well advised to have backup maps, which we found to be the case on a trip not long ago. We were trying to get a route around an unexpectedly closed highway and could NOT get the Magellan to re-route us anywhere but through an area that looked decidedly unsafe. We finally had to dig out the good ol' fashioned map and figure out a way to backtrack to another route that would get us eventually to the highway we wanted.

The fine print on the Magellan's manual advises that the user should not rely on it but rather use your own knowledge of what areas are unsafe and ignore the routing as necessary. Big help when you're traveling far from home and don't know the city.

When I heard about the elderly couple who were stranded by their GPS on a service road and snowbound shortly after Christmas, I thought, "Yep, I can see how that happened."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm

That's why you have to use common sense as well as GPS. Look at road signs. Stuff like that. Use the brain inside your head as much as the GPS on your phone. When the hubby and I disagree with the GPS, we follow our own instincts. Never has let us down yet.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm in a newish neighborhood and it is just been recently that it pops up on some GPS services. I must admit that I have used the iPhone's GPS and been very happy with it, especially when I was walking around in NYC. The benefit of having apps that direct me to the closest ATMs or groceries or subway station not to mention Starbucks with its all important restroom, has been really nice.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 pm

And those are the only iPhone location apps that we've found work pretty well the majority of the time. Even then, it's sometimes directed us to "nearby" things that we know aren't as close as it claims.

Perhaps your area is more compatible with the iPhone, Gilly, and it just doesn't like St. Louis. Who the hell knows?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 pm

Nope. I'm very happy being puter illiterate. Even my cell phone is low brow. Just receives & sends calls. Don't need these newfangled devices.

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 pm

LOL I've volunteered to teach seniors (they are the ones who ask all the time) email and computer classes. I don't know if I'll be doing it but I know there is a big need.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
Don't count on its being a reliable GPS unless that feature is significantly improved.

The report I saw indicated the models having the GPS would have AGPS systems much better than the iPhone GPS system. We certainly won't know until the actual units appear on the market, so I'm having to consider it without having any specific models available to find out the exact specs.

I know one of the largest problems with many GPS units has nothing to do with the chips. It has to do with the maps that are used in conjunction with the service. The maps are wonky and give directions onto roads that aren't actually roads and the like or simply link specific GPS coordinates to the wrong spot. An accurate map is more important for driving directions than a pinpoint GPS location.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:43 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
Perhaps your area is more compatible with the iPhone, Gilly, and it just doesn't like St. Louis. Who the hell knows?

That's not the GPS chip--that's the map database being accessed. The chip is likely able to pinpoint your location to within a few meters. If the maps are screwed--such as not removing closed roads or showing them when the reopen--then it doesn't matter how well the chip works.

I'm much more likely to use the system to find out where I am and then call up a map online to plot my own route. Or buy a paper map and plot a course that way. My wife would be more likely to use a turn-by-turn route provided by a GPS-enabled unit; that would be a rare occurrence.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 am

AutumnalTone wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:

That's not the GPS chip--that's the map database being accessed. The chip is likely able to pinpoint your location to within a few meters.

Hmmmm...so why then (since you obviously know far more about how these devices work than I do) would the GPS locator show that we're not where we know we are? It's done that sometimes, too. Is it just that the locator and the map aren't corresponding properly? We've had it show our location at the intersection of two streets that we know are a mile or more from where we actually are. Fortunately, that hasn't happened when we really needed to find out where the hell we might be, but it would certainly be frustrating if it did.

If the maps are screwed--such as not removing closed roads or showing them when the reopen--then it doesn't matter how well the chip works.

Yeah, I was basically being a whiner about this.

I'm sure it would take a good while to change such things in their database. There would have to be tons of road closings and openings all over the U.S. Just seemed weird that it took months to get this one changed when it's a major east-west interstate across St. Louis although primarily used by us locals. Since it's secondary to I-70 or I-44 for thru travelers, that may explain why it took so long for the change to show up.

I'm the map freak of the two of us, so hubby usually drives when we're headed somewhere unfamiliar in the metro area. I get to watch the GPS or iPhone and grab our trusty AAA city map if need be. He has an uncanny sense of direction but can't read a map as quickly and easily as I can.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:10 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Is it just that the locator and the map aren't corresponding properly? We've had it show our location at the intersection of two streets that we know are a mile or more from where we actually are. Fortunately, that hasn't happened when we really needed to find out where the hell we might be, but it would certainly be frustrating if it did.

Usually. Even the worst of the GPS chips these days are accurate to within much less than a mile.

All maps can have problems with timely updates. I was delivering a truck over-the-road one time and picked out a route in my brand-spanking new map book. One highway on my route was also brand-spanking new--and incomplete. It only went part of the way to the next highway I was looking for. I had to then hop off it and take some county roads to a state highway to get to the next major highway. I learned from the locals that the new highway wasn't schedule to be complete for several more months, so its inclusion on the map was a wee bit premature.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I must've cursed myself complaining about the locator.

Damned if I wasn't at a mall not far from home a few hours ago and decided to see what would be the best route to a store I wanted to get to but had been to just once previously. (We've lived here for only about a year and a half and still don't know our way around terribly well.)

The thing said my position was around three or four miles east-southeast of where I was!

I said "Screw it!" and headed for home which was the best choice anyway, or I'm sure I'd have spent lots more money. So, maybe I should be more grateful that the thing sucks as much as it does...Hubby is, I bet.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun May 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Hubby finally talked me into his ordering a new toy...Think Geek's magic wand programmable tv remote.

I kid you not, the thing really DOES work! I hate to admit it, but it is so completely cool that it's well worth the $89.99 it costs just in coolness alone.

Last night when we were watching Dr. Who, he'd flick his wrist and switch to another channel during commercials or swivel the wand a bit to mute the commercial. I was just staring open-mouthed, it is so very cool!

Here's a link to the Geek site which includes a short video that shows a guy using the wand.

Beyond cool magic wand remote

I've taken to referring to hubby as Mr. Ollivander when he opens the very nice storage box and removes the wand from its red silk-lined nest. Laughing
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top