Intro

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Intro

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:45 pm

It's on the same level as the Undead series.

http://www.amazon.com/Undead-Unwed-Queen-Betsy-Book/dp/042519485X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264380296&sr=1-1

Goofy and mindless. Good for a brain dead read. No sparkly vampires.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Bought the first one. Thought it was for twits. Fairly crappy writing and a completely obvious plot.

I miss working at Borders. The last few years I was there I worked on the shelving team and mostly shelved the "genre" section--sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, mystery and romance.

Played hell with our budget even with the full-time employee giftcard each month plus discount, but then, we both consider bookbuying a necessity and not a luxury.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:56 pm

Full time employees get a monthly giftcard?!? I may have to change careers.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Well, it wasn't quite as great a deal as it sounds. You got a $25 giftcard, but it was taxable income that largely meant you were "paid" it and Borders got the money right back. You didn't have the option to say, "Naw, gimme the 25 bucks instead."

A few people I worked with saved the cards from month to month and gave them as Christmas or birthday gifts.

Mine hit my pocket, bounced and landed in a register drawer almost as soon as I got it.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:10 am

P_Synthesis wrote:
warlordofks wrote:I'm a former Second Grade Sunday School Teacher, former Lay Youth Minister in two different denominations, & a ex-Elder in the Melchezedak Priesthood of the Mormon Religion.

Sounds like quite a pile of experience to exchange for a late-blooming agnosticism there, warlord! You've got me curious what prompted it, if it's ok to ask... don't worry if not, but I'd love the next level of detail on why someone would change in that way (goes for anyone else too if you like). Not that on-t for my own intro thread perhaps, well maybe it is actually.

Dot wrote:Not unless Alex got a better picture on rockavision than I did. It was a real hassle having to crawl up on the roof of the cave to jiggle the antenna every so often.

Oh I believe ya Dot, but I actually didn't mean it must have been nice watching TV forming, I meant it must have been nice watching the Himalayas forming. Just trying to go with Warlord's joke there; if he was there when the dinosaurs died he must've been there when the Himalayas formed.

This may be the kind of humour that only English people get. confused

Now, we get several hundred channels, pay-per-view and on-demand movies, and I frequently can't find anything I really want to watch. Nothing like excess to induce ennui, I guess.

Ack, TV to me is a joke these days, human corruption on a plate. We'll soon need the local communities we exchanged for it, as well... I try to do stuff to bring that back. But I don't watch much if at all... it's just disinformation trying to whip up one's worst aspects from what I can see. US tv seems worst...

Since I'm basicly puter illiterate, & proud of it, I don't know how to just separate one part of a post in order to answer that part. But P_Synthesis, It would distract from this thread too much to go into detail about why I left & all of the reasons. You can e-mail me & I'll be more than happy to give you more info. Most of the people here from the other sites have already heard most of it over the last nine years. As you can see I have a warped sense of humor.

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 am

As you can see I have a warped sense of humor.

Best kind mate, best kind.

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 am

My friends haven't any other.

If you aren't at least a wee bit warped, you'll never be able to tolerate me, that's certain. < sassy wink & grin >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 am

P_Synthesis wrote:Oops... came back to this after replying on the other thread and too late to modify.

As I mentioned there, I don't see the main point of Gnosticism as duality within nature -- if you do, that's obviously not a theme Truman.

But what I do know is big in Gnosticism is the idea that the physical world is not merely in some sense 'less real' -- it's also deliberately designed to be an illusion, a trap, a fake. That was what I found compellingly presented in Truman. Throughout Gnosticism there is a huge 'conspiracy theory' angle, in which you find the world presented as prison whose facade maintains our disempowerment within it by beguiling us with falsehood. That's the particular emphasis in Truman that brought it towards Gnosticism for me. Not that all Gnosticism went that far, but plenty did IIRC.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to agree with the idea that 'our world isn't real, and we should be striving for the real one' -- I think all worlds are real... so the film doesn't represent my own spiritual impulses, but it does represent that mindset real compellingly I thought, as well as making that neat join to the idea of reality TV and its replacement of our local lived and physical reality with something fake. Yeah good film.

Ah ha, I gotcha. Yeah, I can see that. I also found it neat the producer considered Truman's world to be "the true world, and it's you on the outside who lives in a prison".

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Sitting at home right now, watching season 1 episodes of Supernatural. Looking at cute boys' butts. Come to think of it, there are quite a few cute girls' butts on there, too.

That show's been coming on TNT some mornings at work and I've caught it twice now...pretty good.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:42 am

P_Synthesis wrote:

As I mentioned there, I don't see the main point of Gnosticism as duality within nature -- if you do, that's obviously not a theme Truman.

I was thinking Hans Jonas' quote ""The cardinal feature of gnostic thought is the radical dualism that governs the relation of God and world, and correspondingly that of man and world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnosticism#Dualism_and_monism

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:27 am

I get what you're saying but this isn't fundamentally a duality of good/evil within nature for me.

Well that wiki article doesn't quite hit it on the nub for me personally. The key about the different kinds of duality is not their 'mitigatedness' or otherwise, to me, but their direction -- basically, vertical, horizontal or both.

Horizontal duality would be Manichean = "on this plane there is a struggle for good and evil." But the key gnostic dualism for me is vertical -- it simply posits a fundamental distinction between 'here' and 'somewhere else', such that they are in some way opposite, or relate primarily through polarity in that way, good/evil being only one possible polarity and spirit/matter is another -- that is the Truman duality. You could believe in both horizontal and vertical... to me they are really too oversimplified anyhow. But that's where I was going with that.

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top