Intro

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Intro

Post by P_Synthesis on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi, I'm new. Pleased to meet you all.

The short version: I study transpersonal psychology, practice Hermetics (Franz Bardon) and have some experience with OBE and energy work. I take it quite seriously = couple of hours work per day mostly.

I studied with the late great Glenn Morris (ninjutsu/kundalini meditation master) a decade ago, that was what got me into all this. I have no religion but I do read into religions and spiritual systems in general. Other things I'm studying at the moment include ecology, economics and karezza (= form of western sacred sexuality). I was born Jewish and went the full Bar Mitzvah but nothing since.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to getting to know you all better. Very Happy

PSynth

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Re: Intro

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

A pleasure in return, PS.

I hope you'll find hanging out here as much fun--and addictive--as I do.

Largely a-religious myself, although agnostic would be the more precise term.

Hubby's ethnically Jewish also, from the Midwood area of Brooklyn. Religiously speaking, his experience parallels yours to some extent although he considers himself Pagan.

Welcome to the madhouse! cyclops
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Thankyou kindly. Any particular form of ceremonial magick your practice, whilst we're both online?

I nearly considered myself pagan once, I kind of fit the bill. Just... not quite. Smile

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:11 pm

To be truthful, I'm what a long ago AOL friend of mine referred to as largely a "lapse mage." < sheepish grin >

Outside of that, I work mostly within the context of Crowley's Thelema, although I'd have to say that I've not made much more progress in its study over the years since I first encountered it than dabbling a bit and intellectualizing somewhat more.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you better.

I'm Wiccan, since we are mentioning such things.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 pm

If I may say so, impressive mix of approaches in this place! And all able to talk about their stuff articulately by the look, this makes me feel very at home. It seems rather rare on the net.

Also, although I haven't known many Thelemites or Wiccans, I am certainly very comfy with both Winnie the Pooh and Marcus Aurelius. Smile

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:42 pm

P_Synthesis wrote:If I may say so, impressive mix of approaches in this place! And all able to talk about their stuff articulately by the look, this makes me feel very at home. It seems rather rare on the net.

There's some reason for that since the majority of us here are fugitives from one or the other of two spiritual forums, a good many of both. Quite a lot of us came here by invitation from someone we knew from those other areas.

Now, that's not to say that this forum is at all exclusive. That's simply how it came into being. As a result, people tended to invite others they knew to be openminded and capable of disagreeing without rancor, generally speaking. You will, however, find no shortage of strong personalities hereabouts. We seem to be able to discourse with civility the majority of the time, blissfully.

Also, although I haven't known many Thelemites or Wiccans, I am certainly very comfy with both Winnie the Pooh and Marcus Aurelius. Smile

Eeyore's my idol...and you reminded me that my copy of the Meditations has been languishing on my bedside "nest" for far too long. Wink
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Welcome.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Fáilte!

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks to everyone.

DoNotInOz wrote:There's some reason for that since the majority of us here are fugitives from one or the other of two spiritual forums, a good many of both.

Oh, ok, interesting! Where are people from?

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 am

B-net and something called the corner, where many brawls took place. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:13 am

Welcome!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 am

gillyflower wrote:B-net and something called the corner, where many brawls took place. Smile

Quite so, Gilly, although one might reasonably have called a good many virtual knockdown-drag outs.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:33 am

lol!

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

The night I resigned membership in the Corner, the fray was so hot and heavy that the mods couldn't keep up with the pace of postings.

Finally, one told me later, they simply endeavored to warn the posters of the more inflammatory comments and removed those. The board was logging additional postings that rapidly.

This forum is a whole lot more enjoyable...unless you like a firestorm to alleviate ennui, that is.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:29 am

As you know, I was a mod over there. I quit because I had profession issues with the fellow who owned the board over there. As in I didn't believe that he was conducting himself professionally.

Yes, I am well aware that there are others who disagree on that point, but that is why I left. There were things going on that violated my personal ethics.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 am

Wow. Sounds kind of ghastly. I don't see much sign of that kind of thing here.

Has that other place continued in the same way? Sometimes being on the net is like driving, brings up unexpressed rage.

The nearest I ever had to that was on a Taoist board I was on years back. There was some sort of split in the ranks and the fighting and namecalling were just laughable. You also were not allowed to let things go, nobody could ever let it drop. Today the place appears to be a ghost town.

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 pm

It was a matter of nepotism where the forum's owner was concerned. He would have busted any of us in a trice for saying things as inflammatory as the person who drove me away was doing. Said person was a relative, and it became clear that being family trumped forum rules any day for the owner.

We work pretty hard over here to keep a civil atmosphere and have been almost entirely successful, IMO. It's certainly a more pleasant place to hang out and socialize or get into a complex discussion, whatever my pleasure at a given time.

In part, I suspect that's due to not many hardcore types wandering in or not sticking around when they find that flamewars are going to get doused rather quickly.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi P_Synthesis! Welcome aboard!!! Welcome!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 am

Well thanks DNIOz for the rundown, let's all be thankful we've left our various net battlegrounds behind us I guess.

Beribee thanks, and I love your description of your religion!

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:38 am

I'm a little late jumping on the welcome wagon here, but ... Welcome!
Ottr

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am

Not late at all, and I appreciate it. I've met heathens before and found them very interesting folks.

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:12 pm

P_Synthesis wrote:
Has that other place continued in the same way? Sometimes being on the net is like driving, brings up unexpressed rage.

We express ours. Very Happy

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:34 pm

lol ok

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:33 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
P_Synthesis wrote:

We express ours. Very Happy

Weeelll, not quite that graphically in R/L, I don't. I'd hate like hell to have to replace my computer.

We do seem to make ample use of the emoticon collection, however. Laughing bounce cyclops
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top