Could you do it?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Could you do it?

Post by maya3 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 am

Is this the story where the devil and God are having a contest to see who has the most power. And God keeps asking Abraham to do one thing after the other so he can show the devil how devoted he is?

Isn't this to be taken metaphorically? If you do then what does it mean exactly?

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:02 am

maya3 wrote:Is this the story where the devil and God are having a contest to see who has the most power. And God keeps asking Abraham to do one thing after the other so he can show the devil how devoted he is?

Isn't this to be taken metaphorically? If you do then what does it mean exactly?

Maya

Actually Maya if memory serves me right, the Devil isn't involved in this story at all. It's simply a test of Abraham's devotion to be sure he's the one capable of carrying the message of God to humanity.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:02 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
maya3 wrote:Is this the story where the devil and God are having a contest to see who has the most power. And God keeps asking Abraham to do one thing after the other so he can show the devil how devoted he is?

Maya

Actually Maya if memory serves me right, the Devil isn't involved in this story at all. It's simply a test of Abraham's devotion to be sure he's the one capable of carrying the message of God to humanity.

Like any one of us would *trust* a guy who's willing to murder his own child?
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:05 am

Well duh, he's obviously the best there is. Help

Morning Kitty.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:05 am

Thanks TED,

WMDkitty, I know it does not make sense.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Well duh, he's obviously the best there is. Help

Morning Kitty.

Can't be! I haven't gone to bed yet!

::checks clock::

Well, there goes another night's rest...
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:08 am

Yes, it is morning. I'm blessed with a crowd of stupid people today, but it's the full moon, so nothing unusual.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Yes, it is morning. I'm blessed with a crowd of stupid people today, but it's the full moon, so nothing unusual.

Time to make some tea, I guess, and get used to the idea of being awake.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 am

You know, since the story of Abraham is Jewish, I have to wonder what the Midrash has to say about it.
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HailToTheSquirrel on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm

I'll tell ya what I could do. It is my belief that beliefs are bad things. As are principles. If someone came up to me today and said "be a Christian" I'd say, no thanks.

But if they added the words "or these guys will shoot you". Then I'd respond with "Praise be the spirit is in me!"

And if one day I walked outside to find we lost a war and a Chinese general said in Chinese I'd respond with learning Chinese.

And if an alien came in and said "anal probe?" I'd say, "no thank you."

But if it said "ANAL PROBE!" I'd say "can ya buy me a drink first?"

And if it said "ANAL PROBE OR DIE" then of course "ok, have a party little gray guy."

See the point is we all have to have our limits.

HailToTheSquirrel

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:53 pm

We saw that in Ireland with the Catholic/Protestant wars. "Be protestant!" No! "Be protestant or we cut off your head!" Okay!

Praise Jesus.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum