Which Guitatist Was Better?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Guitatist Was Better?

Post by TPaine on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:00 pm

There is little argument that Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton were among the greatest guitarists ever, but which one do you believe was better? Do you have another candidate to put above them on the list? To be fair, take into consideration the advances in electronic technology which could give more recent performers an unfair advantage.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Guitatist Was Better?

Post by AutumnalTone on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Any judgement as to what guitarist is/was the best ever, I think, lies wholly within the realm of personal preferences. The same applies to comparisons of two great guitarists.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 am

Django Reinhardt
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 am

Duane Eddy, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins. I know they're all before you youngsters time.

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 am

warlordofks wrote:Duane Eddy, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins. I know they're all before you youngsters time.
Thanks for the compliment. I may be the youngest 63-year-old in the world. I remember all three, and would definitely have to put Atkins in the group because he played an acoustic, and could make it sound like two different guitars. I liked Duane Eddy and Ray Clarke but don't think they were on a level with Hendricks and Clapton. Given the total difference in style it would be hard to compare Atkins with the rockers, but IMO on shear ability I'd put him with Hendricks and Clapton.

Davelaw wrote:Django Reinhardt
There's no question about Reinhardt's talent. Again, he used an accoustic guitar. Maybe we should set up two classes. One for acoustic and one for electrics.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorrin on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Historically I believe Hendrix had a larger impact on the course of guitar usage in music. I think Hendrix had a better imagination. However I believe Clapton was better technically. I also agree the judgment is subjective. I personally think Muddy Waters and those old acoustic blues players were the best overall players. Technically great with awesome freelance skills.
Vorrin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:34 pm

The guitarist I would most like to have played with is Freddie Green, Basie's long-time guitarist. He only played rhythm, though, avoiding soloing. He also played jazz and never fronted a band, so most folks have no clue who he is.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Of the two, I pick Hendrix. I think he had more influence, was more creative and, personally, I prefer his music.

That said, my pick for best ever is Brian May. Listen to Queen's collected works and you can hear that the man can do it all. From hard rock (in, for example, "Liar"), to mainstream rock (much of Queen's eighties output), to jazz (the "Jazz" album), to flamenco ("Innuendo"), to somehow making an electric guitar sound like a banjo ("'44", "All Good Friends"). Hendrix had a bigger influence (on May himself as he's often said) and Clapton is better thought of but in my opinion, there isn't anybody who can match May for both technique and versatility.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by P_Synthesis on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Picking between those two would be like trying to decide whether you liked your right hand or your left hand better.

I'd put anyone mentioned so far on my list, but my tastes are pretty eclectic... to pick my faves it wouldn't be less than a list of 100. Rolling Eyes

P_Synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Ebon wrote:Of the two, I pick Hendrix. I think he had more influence, was more creative and, personally, I prefer his music.

That said, my pick for best ever is Brian May. Listen to Queen's collected works and you can hear that the man can do it all. From hard rock (in, for example, "Liar"), to mainstream rock (much of Queen's eighties output), to jazz (the "Jazz" album), to flamenco ("Innuendo"), to somehow making an electric guitar sound like a banjo ("'44", "All Good Friends"). Hendrix had a bigger influence (on May himself as he's often said) and Clapton is better thought of but in my opinion, there isn't anybody who can match May for both technique and versatility.

Brian May FTW!
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Both great picks. I'd have to go with Hendricks though. He seemed to expand music creating things that didn't exist before while Clapton more filled out the boundaries that he was in.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm just trying to decide if I want to go see Jeff Beck at HOB in April
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:45 pm

Davelaw wrote:I'm just trying to decide if I want to go see Jeff Beck at HOB in April
I would, Dave. Beck is a legend, and one of the 3 great guitarists that played for the Yardbirds.
Clapton 10/63 - 2/65
Beck 3/65 - 11/66
Page 11/66 until the group became Led Zeppelin

Here's a link to Beck, Page, and Clapton together playing Stairway to Heaven: Link

Last edited by TPaine on Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a link)
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:01 pm

And I forgot to add the link of their doing Layla: Link
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mal5252 on Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi ,

imo Eric Clapton and George Harrison were amongst the greatest guitar players.

Mal
Mal5252

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum