Literal, inerrant Bible?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Literal, inerrant Bible?

Post by gillyflower on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:20 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=9388754

Here is the link. Hm, very interesting. Wikipedia says that the dating doesn't support it, the link to the IAA site doesn't say anything at all except what Alexandre thinks it might be and that it was of the Roman period. The only dates they have is for the Mamluk period which is 1250 to 1517.

http://www.antiquities.org.il/Dig_Item_eng.asp?id=1310

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:41 pm

I appreciate Dave's acknowledgment that the statements he made for which I requested source backup are based upon speculation.

The fact of the matter is that while claiming that its major doctrines are absolute unassailable truth, Christianity has no hard evidence that any of the primary figures--Jesus, Mary or Joseph--ever existed.

I think it highly likely that the first Christians never thought they had but rather that the stories of this savior-deity were combinations of bits and pieces of legends of various ancient savior-deities with a few spins connecting the result to ancient Hebrew prophecies to lend it all an aura of authenticity.

We know that Matthew and Luke borrowed heavily from Mark and frequently put their own twists upon various stories which can be seen by comparing passages that are somewhat similar.

Great literature, yes, but has it any factual basis at all? So far, I would have to say that we simply don't know and likely never shall. Odd basis indeed for a faith that claims to be absolutely true.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm

But weren't the Romans and the Greeks the same? I know we are speculating here but didn't some of them think that all the myths about Hercules and Hercules himself had to be true because the places in the myths existed? And some didn't believe that, were aware that just because a place was mentioned in a myth, it did not mean that the people or the things that happened in the myth had been proven.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top