Argh, brainfart!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Argh, brainfart!

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Someone help... In magic, what is the term for a spirit being created from your own psychic resources for a specific purpose? Innerpoint and I had some conversations about this. I cannot remember what it's called.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Argh, brainfart!

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Elementals.

Behold the hour-long google hunt.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Is what your referring to what some people refer to as thought forms or am I getting confuzzled?
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm obviously not an expert on this Laughing I was referring to creating Elementals - http://www.spiritual.com.au/articles/witchcraft/elemental-magick.htm

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:48 am

Ah ok, I'm obviously no expert on this either, just wanted to clarify as in most but not all cases where I've heard elementals being discussed it was in reference to sylphs, undines etc... and thought forms to refer to what yer talking about. I can gets confused especially when it comes to the occult and paganism when people use similar terminology but can often hold a different meaning for word then the next person.
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am

You're both correct, Feinics. The term refers to natural elementals, fairly simple straightforward beings such as sylphs, and also to magickian-created beings devoted to a specific purpose and otherwise having little functionality. In my magickal context, the term is often used to refer to the basic elements, too--air, fire, water, etc.

Thought form as I've usually heard the term more often means a being accidentally created, usually by someone who isn't fully aware of what they're doing (which is what happened to me some years ago when I saw a hulking black form in one corner of the bedroom that was darker than the darkened room which immediately vanished when I wished it to.) Or it can also mean the creation of a spirit form that is experimental and not intended to perform any function unlike the elemental created for a specific purpose. When creating a thought form, you're essentially just practicing or toying around if you are aware that you're manipulating energy.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Thanks for clarifying that dot!

So would it be correct to say the difference between thought form and elemental in this case would be intent?
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 am

Feinics wrote:So would it be correct to say the difference between thought form and elemental in this case would be intent?

Pretty much. An elemental is formed for a specific purpose and ordinarily can't do much if anything else, so it's very intentional. A thought form is somewhat less so since it can be accidentally created as was my hulking dark blob. Even though a thought form can be purposefully created such as when a magickian is working with energy manipulation, there's not as focused or definite an intent involved. Oftentimes, a thought form will simply exist, unable to do anything. Except perhaps scare the crap outta ya as mine did me until I realized that it wasn't reaching to snatch my soul to hell but was simply there. Wink So, I tried dissolving it, thinking it might be a thought form created when I wasn't fully awake, and it vanished.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Feinics on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:37 am

If ya wouldn't mind me picking yer brains further on this, how would one recognise, as you did with yer blob, that something is a thought form they've created themselves and not something else? In general sense, I don't want to pry into yer personal experiences.
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:00 am

Oh, I don't mind your asking about my "wee hulking blob." Some years ago, I might've soon after I figured out that I'd manifested it myself without realizing I was doing so and was somewhat displeased about losing control to the extent that I created something to scare myself thoroughly.

There are probably more sophisticated tests than what I did, simply trying to dissolve it. But once I began calming down when I saw that it wasn't doing anything but lurking in the corner, it occurred to me that it might simply be a thought form. The simplest test is to try dissolving whatever-it-is.

Also, I'd been working with energy manipulation and wasn't as adept at installing safeguards or using protectives as I am now since I was still learning then what I could do along those lines. I lay down for a nap one afternoon in our bedroom which had room darkening shades so that the room was fairly dark even though it was a sunny summer day. I'm very nearsighted so another clue that this might be a thought form was that I could see it clearly even though I hadn't put on my glasses. And it felt oddly personal as if a manifestation of my own fear.

I actually don't know what I'd have done if it hadn't vanished, I was that ignorant and careless. So, possibly my subconscious sought to teach me a lesson about what can happen when you don't use appropriate caution when working with such things.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:02 pm

I recall that Max Long's Huna system worked with thought forms, explaining that they can be formed unintentionally and intentionally. I no longer have the books, so I can't offer up the details. Think what he described as deliberate thought forms are what you call elementals?
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:03 pm

I would assume so, SC. Wouldn't you?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by hexpainter on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Egregore or Watchers.

Quite fun... but you must give them very specific tasks with very specific endings or you'll get a poltergeist type entity running amuck!
hexpainter

http://www.hexpainter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top