What Exacty did Jesus Fix?

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Exacty did Jesus Fix?

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:59 pm

It is funny, I had a horrendous childhood, never want to go back, One thing I always felt like I only had 1% of the information as a child. Of course, no one explains anything. And I always needed details.

I look back and think, I could have changed this, and I could have changed that. And boy my life would have been different and perhaps better, maybe more prosperous.

Then I look at what other things might have changed as well.
Who else life might have been different, better or worse for what changes I would have made. Then I wonder if I would have changed much at all.
And I count myself lucky, my Mother at least was a reasonable person. But there are things I wish I had told her when I was five or six, And even as a teenager.

I don't know. Complicated.

Deavon I am sorry you feel some of your life was wasted within your religion. Perhaps there are good things that have come out of it that have not been recognized yet.

Yes Tiger, I would have behaved differently, (I hope) with the knowledge I have now. So even if outward didn't change much, perhaps inward would have and I could have handled things better

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:20 pm

I think everyone realizes hindsight is so much better, but as the Buddhists teach we have to try not to focus on that and focus on the 'now' instead.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:23 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I think everyone realizes hindsight is so much better, but as the Buddhists teach we have to try not to focus on that and focus on the 'now' instead.
So true. I have become a much more live in the now kind of person.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Many times I have wondered the same thing. . . . if I had been a different person, if I had influenced others more positively, some people's lives may have been better. My best friend and I have known one another for 16 or so years, . . . and we probably should have gotten married, . . . but I wasn't the man I should have been then. She's married now to a guy who she kinda cares about, but doesn't REALLY like, . . . almost left him a few times, did things that she regrets, . . . and I wonder if I had been a better man back then, and we had married, how much better of a life she would have today.

But yes, we can't turn back time. Unfortunately.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:32 pm

DeavonReye wrote:I've had those same thoughts as well. . . . . . . and when I do, there's a sort of heaviness as I know my future would have been different, had my youth not been wasted on a silly religion. . . . and I would have also prepared more. . . . but that's for another topic.

Never, NEVER, NEVER regret your past. It took every bit of your life experiences to turn you in to what you are today. Now, for my money, there isn't one single solitary poster here that I would have a problem calling friend. All of the hurt, the aches, the heaviness you feel at times, the ups and downs has created some pretty damned awesome people that I thoroughly enjoy having conversations with.

Don't regret the past. Relish them and know that in spite of whatever you think of your past, you each and every one turned out OK.

(takes a deep breath, climbs down off of soap box and sits quietly in the corner.)
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:37 pm

((((((((((John5180))))))))

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:36 pm

john5180 wrote:Never, NEVER, NEVER regret your past. It took every bit of your life experiences to turn you in to what you are today. Now, for my money, there isn't one single solitary poster here that I would have a problem calling friend. All of the hurt, the aches, the heaviness you feel at times, the ups and downs has created some pretty damned awesome people that I thoroughly enjoy having conversations with.

Don't regret the past. Relish them and know that in spite of whatever you think of your past, you each and every one turned out OK.
It is the storms as well as the sunny days that helps us grow....

(takes a deep breath, climbs down off of soap box and sits quietly in the corner.)[/quote]
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:33 pm

John's advice is wise.

However, I'd add one proviso. As long as we look back on things we wish we could have done differently and use them as a reminder to be more conscious when making decisions now, then I think such reflection can be helpful. If, however, we are primarily feeling regret and guilt for not having done better then, it's only torturing ourselves needlessly.

The bottom line is that experience is the toughest teacher. She gives the test and then the lesson.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:18 am

DotNotInOz wrote:John's advice is wise.

However, I'd add one proviso. As long as we look back on things we wish we could have done differently and use them as a reminder to be more conscious when making decisions now, then I think such reflection can be helpful. If, however, we are primarily feeling regret and guilt for not having done better then, it's only torturing ourselves needlessly.

Oh absolutely! What some consider major gaffs, if looked at as a learning tool, rather than a huge blunder and excuse to throw one's self a pity part that can last a lifetime, the person always comes out better, and stronger on the other side.

DotNotInOz wrote:The bottom line is that experience is the toughest teacher. She gives the test and then the lesson.

Truth spoken here! And remember; I never said forget the past, or avoid recalling it to avoid future pit falls. I said never regret the past.

I believe it took every thing I ever did, good or bad, to get me to where I am today. There are some who may think even still that my growth is stunted; and there may even be some truth to that. But imagine the me that could be here today had I not seen those mistakes and taken note.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:29 am

One thing about "remembering/regretting the past". . . . It would never be certain that, if you could change the past, your future would BE better, utlimately. The saying, "hindsight is 20/20",. . . . . it may often be the case that "hindsight is blind", just as much as the future is. If I took that left turn at Albequerque, . . . I could easily have been exactly where I am, right now, today. Maybe in a worse place. Maybe better, . . . but the point is made.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:11 pm

I think there is something to the belief that those who seem to have more than their share of misfortune and suffering have chosen those circumstances in order to progress faster on a spiritual level. I'm speaking here in light of a belief in reincarnation and that the soul chooses before birth what family will best set learning the spiritual lesson for that lifetime in motion.

However, I believe that the choices we make as we go through life also contribute to that learning. Thus, someone who seems to have happiness elude them may have chosen to learn a lesson that involves emotional suffering.

Which is not to say that attempting to keep a hopeful outlook isn't helpful. It is on a number of levels.

I believe the best question when faced with dispiriting circumstances is "Okay, so what can I learn from this?" Not that I've always been able to figure that out myself by any means.

As the old saying goes, "If you're still here, you've got more to learn."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:15 pm

That's all true, Deavon. But "what if's" don't pay the rent. I'm a firm believer in the thought of nothing happening by accident. I'm also a firm believer in "what don't kill us makes us stronger."

Had you made that left turn in Albuquerque everything you say is true..... you could be exactly the same, worse or even better. But you didn't in that point in your life. And that act now belongs to history. At least now, when faced with a similar situation, you'll be in a better position to make the turn and profit by it.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:I think there is something to the belief that those who seem to have more than their share of misfortune and suffering have chosen those circumstances in order to progress faster on a spiritual level. I'm speaking here in light of a belief in reincarnation and that the soul chooses before birth what family will best set learning the spiritual lesson for that lifetime in motion.

However, I believe that the choices we make as we go through life also contribute to that learning. Thus, someone who seems to have happiness elude them may have chosen to learn a lesson that involves emotional suffering.

Which is not to say that attempting to keep a hopeful outlook isn't helpful. It is on a number of levels.

I believe the best question when faced with dispiriting circumstances is "Okay, so what can I learn from this?" Not that I've always been able to figure that out myself by any means.

I like that notion too.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:07 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:I think there is something to the belief that those who seem to have more than their share of misfortune and suffering have chosen those circumstances in order to progress faster on a spiritual level. I'm speaking here in light of a belief in reincarnation and that the soul chooses before birth what family will best set learning the spiritual lesson for that lifetime in motion.

'Remember it's no fun, to be the chosen one.'

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:15 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:'Remember it's no fun, to be the chosen one.'

Are you saying that people who have had bad experiences in their lives got the short straw? I'm afraid I don't get the point here.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:47 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:

'Remember it's no fun, to be the chosen one.'

Yep. Just ask these guys.

I mean, if it weren't for their sidekicks to keep them grounded, they very likely could have ended up like another Chosen One:

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I think, from my experience, it certainly feels that way. I also think that we're the better for it in the end of it all. It may not be "fun" but it serves the higher purpose. I think some people don't understand why they got the bad experiences until it's all over.

One of the better Christian hymns I recall is Farther Along; Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder why it should be thus all the day long? While there are others living about us, never molested though in the wrong. Farther along we'll know all about it, Farther along we'll understand why- Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine. We'll understand it, all by and by.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Isn't there some sort of "karmic bandade/cure" for someone who has experienced bad experience after bad experience, AND manages to keep him/herself from self destruction? Surely someone wouldn't be given bad luck for all their life.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:48 pm

In New Thought, the Christ is the way around karma. Everyone is subject to karmic debt but the Christ is a way to bypass karmic debt. That's our concept of salvation. It's a little involved.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:23 pm

DeavonReye wrote:Isn't there some sort of "karmic bandade/cure" for someone who has experienced bad experience after bad experience, AND manages to keep him/herself from self destruction? Surely someone wouldn't be given bad luck for all their life.

Good points, Deavon.

It's important to remember, though, that everyone's life has at least SOME happy moments. I'm not talking about some kind of predestined lifetime full of horrible experiences one after the other.

An important understanding of belief in rebirth is that the soul's past lives have undoubtedly included ones where the person lived well and accomplished much that reappears later in a "bad luck" lifetime as talents and gifts that help to ease the burdens of a life that appears to be very difficult to other people.

And the person isn't "given bad luck." Remember that as long as we live we're making choices every moment about how we're going to regard what's happening to us and what we'll try to do about it. Any single choice might be the start of a whole different direction for a life.

Let's say as a for-instance one soul has been working very hard at spiritual lessons over the course of several lifetimes and chooses in this one to be born to a solidly middle-class couple who want children very much and provide a good upbringing. This situation might make for a relatively uneventful lifetime, particularly if the person grows up to live reasonably happily much as the parents did.

On the other hand, a soul wanting accelerated spiritual learning might choose to be born into an extremely wealthy family and become a trust-fund "baby" who never needs to hold a job. You might say, "Well, what's so unfortunate about THAT situation?" However, from the point of view of the soul, this might be a very challenging situation with all sorts of spiritual temptations that the person must resist, needing to live modestly while giving large bequests to charitable causes perhaps in order to progress spiritually. Rather difficult to accomplish in those circumstances for most people, wouldn't you agree?

It's important to remember that these examples are somewhat over-simplified to make a point. There are influences from various past lives working in combination with the chosen spiritual lesson. A person would have to be much wiser and far more insightful than I to be able to look at the circumstances of someone's life and say, "Oh, well, here's what this person chose to learn, and this is what s/he's accomplishing spiritually in this lifetime."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Interesting video, sg.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:33 pm

There are fangirls and TV junkies among you.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:32 pm

What Dot's saying is even - gasp - biblical.

Now as Jesus was passing by, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who committed the sin that caused him to be born blind, this man or his parents?” Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but he was born blind so that the acts of God may be revealed through what happens to him.

Just for reference. Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Yep, TED, that's probably the most commonly cited passage supporting belief in rebirth and karma. It's also the most obvious reference to it, I think.

Not that you knew that, of course. < sassy wink >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top