So, what do you guys think?
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pondering a post-Christian America

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 am

The fact that only ultr conservatives were spoken of means nothing.
I looked at the report... I don't see any particular "shrinking". Just a shifting away from some denominations.
It tells me that people are tired of certain churches telling them that someone is bad. There was a slight rise in "NRM"s, New Religious Movements, but, imo, not a significant downturn in Christian.
There was a significant rise in the "None" and "DK/Refused" categories.
But, you can't take a survey of 54,000 people in limited area and expect to get a real number.
Show me numbers by state, or even region. I never put much stock in those polls that don't say anything about where they did their survey.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:03 am

To establish the foundations of tyranny of the majority, you must have a clear mandate as to what right thought constitutes. As long as the only points of agreement are on the extremes of behavior, our laws only limit what almost all would agree is outrageous; theft, rape, murder.

When there is overwhelming majority agreement as to right thought, then the law is used to enforce it. Strong majority brings censorship, thought crimes, and reeducation camps; it is to be feared. In the presence of a mandate for one true belief, you get the Taliban, the Inquisition, the KGB.

America is losing that majority? Good. The House of UnAmerican Activity, the Patriot Act, these are tools of a tyranical majority. Inspired by fear mongering, and given into the hands of zelots, they are the tools of evil. Take away that majority, and the rights of citizens to think, speak, and act reguardless of their race, faith, sexual orientation or political philosophy become equal.

If you were to offer me the chance to make Asatru the state religion in my own country, I would die before I permitted it. It matters not whose thoughts are deemed "right thoughts"; once a mandate exists for enforcing "right thoughts" we are all fitted for slave chains.
John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by OmarKhayyam on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm

There was an essay in AT some weeks ago that advanced just this proposition, though a little more political. The argument was that Obama is the 1st “post-Christian” president. And by that the author meant that Obama was not raised in a Christian home or even in America for most of his formative years. That he is the first president to lack an appreciation of our history and especially our Christian past. That he was not anti-Christian so much as simply ignorant.

The author finds this very disturbing. He doesn’t see any vast anti-Christian or anti-religion crusade so much as beguine neglect of our traditions and casual concern for our values. In his view if Obama has 8 years “to ignore America’s past and its core values” the nation will not be the same – ever again. That the 1st post Christian president will also be the first fully secular one. And the first president ever to see American as just one of — rather than apart from and superior to — the other nations of the world.
OmarKhayyam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top