Why I am glad I am not a Christian

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why I am glad I am not a Christian

Post by Feinics on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:48 pm

I'l be honest folks i've had pretty much no exposure to fundementalist Christianity cept for what I come across online.This is something that completely surprised me when I first came across
it, I'm from the small backward country where a mixed marraige was if ya
married a protestant, and America was the tolerent country were people
of diff erent races religions and cultures lived side by side!

Albeit I'm from a generation that was born into the time the Catholic church lost it's influence over Irish society but even so the extremism of some Christians that seems to taken for granted over yer side of the pond is quite an alien concept to myself and most Irish people.

The bloke that sometimes stands in the street and shouts
bible verses and such through his megaphone is seen
by most people as bein a bit nuts. I spotted a billboard
with a chrisitian message on the bus one day it and it was
the first i'd ever seen.

A single man was handing out leaflets in town at the gay pride parade this year,the usual its a sin burning in hell stuff. I learnt of this from two friends who are both christian, one from a partiularily religious family.Both were shocked and appalled that someone would do this.

We don't get people calling to the door proselytizing.
Cept for the odd jehovah witness, who are always
very polite and considerate about taking up your time. We had our first mormons this year and they weren't Irish,I believe they were American.

Myself and my friends were friends with a guy for years before discovering he was a born again, he definitely didn't fit our preconceived notions about that and to this day I've never heard
him talk about religion.

The christians I interact with on a daily basis tend to be tolerent folks
who would shocked as I often am by the experiences I hear from my American friends.
Guess what im trying to say is that my pre conceptions
of Christians are for the most part good ones tho if
I was being told I'm going to hell on a daily basis that might be different.

I'm writing this on my boyfriends computer and his keyboard is
broken,so writing about Christianity when the c button doesn't work and I've to copy/paste in every time I need to have a space,is alot of
hassle So even if nothing I've written is of value please,for the love of god please appreciate the effort
Feinics

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Note to TPaine: Try adding to your No Soliciting sign what we had on ours when we were homeowners. Below the "No Soliciting," I added, "We do not do business, make donations or discuss religion at our front door."

A mere "No Soliciting" didn't work for us either. The addition of the qualifiers did most of the time. When I discerned that the person at the door either couldn't read or didn't want to believe we meant what the sign said, I simply tapped the sign and closed the door in their face.
Dot, there are times, I have to admit, that when some of these proselytizers refuse to honor a No Soliciting sign, I do enjoy inviting them in, then asking them questions. For instance if they reply yes to the question, "Do you believe that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God?" I'll ask them why then the stories of the birth of Jesus in Matthew and Luke disagree in almost every particular including when he was born and his genealogy. Or possibly, why is the story in John about the woman taken in adultery not found in the oldest, most reliable manuscripts of John's gospel. Usually they can't wait to leave, in a hurry.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Feinics- I thought it was valuable. It's really interesting to me to hear of people's experiences in other parts of the world (and especially Ireland!)

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:27 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Feinics- I thought it was valuable. It's really interesting to me to hear of people's experiences in other parts of the world (and especially Ireland!)
I agree with TED, Feinics. I enjoy learning about various customs in other countries. Thanks for your considerable effort given the lack of a working C.
For future reference, Christian can be written Xian, if you need to save a lot of cut and pasting.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:30 pm

I would have said Krishtun. Very Happy

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:58 am

To be honest, I just wish I could have heard all that from Feinics, verbal (if she has an Irish accent, that is).
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 pm

*sighs* me too.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top