Let the Holidays/Festivities Begin!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Let the Holidays/Festivities Begin!

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:58 am

Thanksgiving starts off the America's celebrations. What are your feelings about the up and coming Holidays/Festivities? Your thoughts of the beginnings to the present day festivities? Do you enjoy this season of celebration? How do you or your loved ones celebrate? Any customs may it be spiritual, family or cultural? Do you go out & join in, or stay home? What activities do you enjoy this season? Memories of past celebrations?
This thread is intended for us all to keep each other updated w our own activities through out the Season! To enjoy each others reads, to connect across the miles, understand each other, enjoy each others friendships, & as always to respect each other.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Re: Let the Holidays/Festivities Begin!

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:25 am

Very Happy We have finally finished our fall cleaning complete w washing down walls, cleaning carpets, setting out season trinkets, shopping for this weeks food fest! The house is gleaming w beauty, she is warm & inviting ready to be closed up for fall/winter! Group Hug

Our DIL called from Shreveport this past Friday & asked if she could come down & celebrate Thanksgiving w us this year. I invited her parents also! Before her & Dave were married we all got together one Thanksgiving & enjoyed ourselves emensley! bounce
Youngest son called last night to see what WE were doing for Thanksgiving. (Shhh his girlfiend is spending this week out of state. He KNOWS us NOW!) LMAO!
Bought a Smithfield honey ham to remember our daughter living in VA! Love
Middle son is home here & going to help out w the cooking! Clap
So let the festivities begin! Disco
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am

I sure do wish you would visit my house! My house is dirty and messy and I have company coming, two daughters and their husbands/fiances. Must clean! We are going out for T-giving Dinner, although I did offer to cook. There is a lovely buffet on the river, a tradition, to go to then I think New Moon, a trip to the movies, as per requests.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I love the holidays. I wish there were holiday parties to go to, not big giant things just little gatherings. I miss that from my childhood.

I don't know enough people so I usually end up staying home.

I still love this time of year

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:58 pm

I work in retail. We have had our Xmas crap set up since October 1. I have to work Black Friday, when every stupid, cheap, chintzy asshole within 1000 miles will come in a bitch and whine about prices.
I'll just be glad when it's all over. Greedy people have ruined Xmas for me.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm a bit frustrated. The unemployment isn't allowing me to fix a grand feast to share with folks, nor travel anywhere to share a grand feast, nor do much of anything interesting. I do have a load of sweet taters and a ham, though, so we'll do just fine for victuals on Thursday.

The drum corps has been invited to perform on Friday at a Salvation Army kettle. We do a couple of gigs each year, so playing a kettle isn't unusual. This one, however, is a big deal. Bass Pro has never allowed the SA to place a kettle. This year, for that one day only, Bass Pro will host a kettle. It can only be manned by some insurance company execs (whom, I guess, were instrumental in getting the kettle placed) and special performers--no run-of-the-mill bell ringers allowed.

So, if we can get enough folks to show up and play, we'll get worked into the lineup. Usually, I'm running rehearsal for the rest of the corps when most of the brass is playing at a kettle site, so I don't get to play. If we can get the bodies to play this Friday, I'll be there playing a snare and rocking the joint. Heh. I've almost finished an arrangement of the Drum Carol (Little Drummer Boy).
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

Question Wow, what happened to my "yesterday eves post?" Suspect
Did I forget to send it? Sleep Oh well I've slept since then!

Anyways it went something like this. "Thank you for all of your reads, interesting, & honest!" Lets continue our jaunt through the festivities shall we?

Gilly you lucky lady, out & about for the big T day with the ones you love! Sounds like a fun time, dinner & a movie? No headaches, no clean up! A tradition at our house is, movie day is on Christmas Day! Our middle son said he's sending John & I to view the new movie "Sherlock Holmes" w Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, & Rachel McAdams!

Maine, so sweet a thought! Come on down, we'll have a gathering of our own! I understand completely. Had a chance for those wonderful small parties couple of yrs ago when a friend of John's & I took us through the French Quarter in New Orleans to a bunch of her friends that owned their shops & we ate, drank, & were very merry after making our rounds!

TMarie, girl you are too too honest! Hysterical Are you sure we're not twins? The only thing that kept me afloat while working w the public in retail was always smile, always laugh, & always wish someone "Happy Holidays". It really throws them for a loop! My birthday is Dec 22 so I know I always have something to look forward too, while everyone else is stressing out!

Seventh, yep yep yep, understand the pickle your in, but most of the time less is more! With me not working this yr trust me, we feel the crunch, but I traded out for something much more enriching. Taking care of my MIL! (I'm hearing that a lot of wives wouldn't do that this day & age). Shocked Atleast you can get out & join in the festivities on Friday while doing something that is dear to you! Just think you won't be in the Black Friday rat race you'll be a spectator! BTW, one of my favorite songs is the Little Drummer Boy!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Well we've got most of our Christmas shopping done early this year. Before Thanksgiving. We didn't want to fight the crowds this year. I love this time of the year except for the maniac shoppers. And now I can relax & enjoy time with my family & friends.

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:16 pm

Surprised Christmas shopping? Wow, I'm impressed. I keep saying each yr, I'll shop early! Christmas shopping for me has always been: I do that on my birthday, gets me out, & I enjoy the day doing things for my loved ones ALONE! We never put up the tree until after my oldest sons birthday on Dec 13th. Kids grow up, people change, I guess everything has its season doesn't it? bounce
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:28 pm

santa So trees are up? Lights are lit? Wreaths hung? Getting into shopping, making treats or gifts? Getting ready for all the holidays? Come on "fess up"! Whose ready & whose not? Whose celebrating? Whose not?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Walsung1of9 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 am

My faith calls for a tree, and the senior I assist helped me put together the tree and topped it with the star. The star is really cool--It looks like the Northern Lights. You can really zone out if you stare at it too long. Good thing I found some Asatru Chants. So, if I'm sitting in the ez chair with a couple of small dogs in my lap, eyes half closed, looking up chanting about Valhalla, you'll know I've been staring at that "hippie star" too long.
Walsung1of9

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:25 am

I am going the cheesy non-Wiccan route this year as far as decorating is concerned and that's that. I bought a little fake table top tree that is pre-lit, put out the menorah and can't find a place in this house for my peace stocking holders - oh, wait, I think I put them on the stairs last year. I'll do that again. We are exchanging homemade gifts this year. I want to make fudge but have requests to get the genealogy done or a cookbook instead. I'm having company for Winter Solstice and jokingly call my winter celebration Saturnalia or Winter Holidays because I celebrate Solstice, and anything else my kids/friends want to celebrate. It just kind of laps over numerous days like Saturnalia does. It's all good!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:06 pm

To me it doesn't matter what you call this time of the year. What matters most is that this is a time to express Love.

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:18 pm

I live with the Grinch, so it is all I can do to get the tree up and get prezzies for everyone.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Walsung1of9 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:01 am

I've canned 4 cases of jams, jellies, squishes, and spreads. I've made batches and batches of marshmellow squares.

Gonna have a happy solstice whether anyone else in this house does or not çause it's my birthday and I'm gonna be happy.

Oh, and I'm gonna put a special toast of something on my altar for a special Wanderer, Lord of Ravens, Horses and Wolves...
Walsung1of9

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:53 am

I love Christmas decorations and load the house usually even though hubby and I don't do the Christmas thing other than giving gifts to a few relatives.

As does Gilly, we also put up a menorah since hubby's Jewish. That's a tradition I began for us to honor our respective religious upbringings. I load the menorah with candles and set it near the manger scene that my family got when I was about eight-years-old. Every year after that, putting up the manger scene was my job, so when my dad died ten years ago, the creche was one of the things from my childhood home that I wanted.

I rather miss the big family gatherings we had when I was growing up. We usually spent Thanksgiving with one set of grandparents and then Christmas Day with the other, alternating each year. Christmas Eve was just my immediate family unwrapping gifts usually, although sometimes my only aunt and uncle on my mom's side of the family joined us or we went to their home. The grandparents who didn't get us for Christmas that year saved our gifts for New Year's when we'd show up. Although, sometimes we'd have a midday meal with one set of grandparents and then drive to the other for leftovers in the evening since they only lived about 30 miles distant from each other.

My dad's family were pretty simple farm folk, but Grandma was immensely proud of the china that one of my uncles had sent her from Japan during WW II, so she always used it for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The holidays with the other set of grandparents were more elaborate as that grandmother had grown up in a well-to-do family and typically set the table with her china, crystal and sterling silver. That's where I learned to use a salad plate and fork and a bread and butter plate with butter knife. Even when my sister and I and our second cousins were small, Grandmother (and she was always called that, never Grandma) would put some odd pieces of real china on the kids' tables so that we had festive dinnerware, too.

It wasn't at all unusual for there to be thirty people at either gathering, although the numbers lessened somewhat as my grandmothers and other relatives got older.

I used to hate having to be on my best behavior at those big gatherings. Now, I miss the big feasts and fun we had.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:14 am

It's kind of sad that big families aren't the norm anymore, when it comes to the big family celebrations. Both of my parents had 5 brothers and sisters but in my generation the cousins only had one or two children each and the same with my children's generation. When my branch of the family gets together, it is a much smaller gathering than the ones I experienced as a child.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Part of the reason why we had such large family gatherings was that a number of my parents' aunts and uncles were living when I was a kid. Very few relatives on either side of the family died before age 70, most living to be 80 or more. Three or four of my great-grandparents lived to be 100.

You're right that it makes a difference that people of our generation began having significantly fewer children. My dad had eleven siblings. One was a nun, two never married, one had no children and two died in World War II, or the extended family might have been larger still. As it was, I had 18 first cousins.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 pm

We never had large family celebrations. Partly because my fathers family all lived in Chicago & my Mother's family all lived in New York City. While we never knew where or which State or City we would be living in at any one time. So us kids never developed close friendships with others. There was even one year where we lived in eight different States. As well as lived in a cave out in Giant Rock, Calif. I guess this is why having a stable place to live & having a relationship with my Daughter, my Son-In-Law & my Grandkids is so important to me. I want them to have what I never had. I want them to know that they're Loved & Cared about.

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:44 am

Yep, you grew up in somewhat different circumstances than I did, Alex. My parents changed houses a few times before I was four but after that moved into the house where I grew up and they lived until their deaths about forty years later.

We were approximately 30 miles from each set of grandparents so often visited one set one Sunday and the other the next. While we didn't often visit my parents' various aunts and uncles who lived nearby, I had a fairly large extended family that I got to know while growing up.

I didn't appreciate what a legacy that was when I was a kid, but now I realize that it was.

Oops! I just realized that I omitted two cousins whose family was estranged for most of my childhood. So, I actually had twenty first cousins on dad's side of the family.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:22 am

I grew up moving a great deal, as Alex did although we never lived in a cave. I met but didn't know my grandparents and other relatives and I never did get to know the relatives on my father's side. I got to know my mother's relatives as an adult. Since my parents were quite old when they had me, my children were young when they died. And then we moved around a great deal - 16 times in 22 years, I counted once - which is why, like Alex, my daughters are so close to each other and me. I used to envy people like you, Dot, but there are plusses to moving too.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Oh, yeah, definitely there are advantages to moving often.

For example, I was both excited and terrified when it came time to go to college because I had no experience adjusting to new places and making new friends.

And even though I've put a positive spin on the family legacy here, I spent a lot more time than I wished having to be well-mannered and ladylike, not to mention polite to relatives I didn't like.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:28 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I live with the Grinch, so it is all I can do to get the tree up and get prezzies for everyone.
I so sorry you got a grinch.

I managed to get a little four foot tree in my window,

Funny thing is, I said to myself a couple of weeks ago, I would love a four foot tree in the window. And we were cleaning out a tent, (We have those portable garage tents in our yard) and found my cedar chest. What was in it???

A four foot Christmas tree, decorated already from when I took it down about five or six years ago. I completely forgot I had it, and would not have known where to look, I think I was guided to it again.

It is a bit squished, but looks really cute. I love it!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 pm

Don't get me wrong about this time of the year. I enjoy it. I'm not your so called typical male. I'm not afraid to show my emotions, to wear my heart on my sleeves, to give hugs, tell others how much I Love them & cry during sad or bad times. In short I'm just a overgrown child.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

warlordofks wrote:Don't get me wrong about this time of the year. I enjoy it. I'm not your so called typical male. I'm not afraid to show my emotions, to wear my heart on my sleeves, to give hugs, tell others how much I Love them & cry during sad or bad times. In short I'm just a overgrown child.
That is why we love you

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top