I may be done at my current fundi church... "music related"

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I may be done at my current fundi church... "music related"

Post by TPaine on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Just in case you may be interested, here's a You Tube clip of Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Beck performing Layla. The only one who does any real moving around is Page. Link Then again there's the person who I believe was the greatest guitarist of all time. He was a left-handed genius from Seattle and he died way too young. Link

I'll try to get back on topic in my next post.

Last edited by TPaine on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

gillyflower wrote:Sometimes, when we are conflicted about a place and whether we need to move on, the universe gives us quick boot to the rump to get us out the door because obviously, we aren't getting the subtle approach. Just saying. It really won't surprise me to find that this opens up much more satisfying opportunities for you, Deavon. It just has that feel to it.

I agree Gilly.

And like Tina, I couldn't have stayed supporting a gig I couldn't support. I know I've harped on that before but it just goes against what little principles I do have.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:28 pm

I'll look up those videos, TPaine, thanks! *edited* Okay, I looked at them. Yeah, some movement, . . . but also sums of money going to the musicians. Being paid would make me get my grove on!

TED, . . . there were times when I felt the hypocricy of my being there, but I made certain I never acted like "Mr. Super Christian". I would sing the words of the song because it was required, . . . . hence the feelings of hypocricy. I guess I don't have to worry about that anymore.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Well I never called you a hypocrite, Deavon.. I just remember how agonizing it was when I was trapped in the fundy baptist churches once I stopped believing in that.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Yeah, . . . there were many times when an "eye roll" wasn't sufficient in how I reacted to the message, but I had to sit and listen. It's bitter sweet, to be honest. I enjoyed playing the music and even talking with some of the people, having something that verged upon "a social life" (of which I really don't have one). I have lost SO much, in my life, and I feel like this is yet another loss.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 pm

No, I wouldn't call you a hypocrite. You were helping. You didn't agree, yet you stayed and helped anyway.
As I said... You are a better person than I.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Thanks!
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:59 pm

I agree with TMarie.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:20 am

Yep, MC, it takes a LOT of control to stick with something like that. Esp. when there are fundamental ideological disagreements. I don't have that kind of control.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:55 am

It was difficult. But I laid aside my discomfort because I cared about helping out those in the music department. They had just opened up another location (a smaller church of 1,500 or so), and because of that, they were short handed. . . . . and I was one of the few bassists that could play the songs well enough to be in the main sanctuary. I was going to continue in my discomfort, for their sake, . . . . but just couldn't continue the apparent hypocricy in my mind by doing something that wasn't me, . . . . the "rock n roll movements". But also, he was wanting me to be more involved when playing for the slow songs. . . . . ."closing my eyes and being more worshipful". That was a level of TRUE hypocricy that I was unable to do for them. It wasn't in me to do it.

Now that I am free from that life. . . . I hope to be able to find what is for me. I hope that whomever is good for me (Spirit) will help me find him/her.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:59 pm

I hate it when people interfere with other people's religious moments. Just because he thought you closing your eyes is more worshipful doesn't make it so for you. This is a very personal thing. Do I need to come up there and kick this guy's ass? I would really love telling this guy off!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:03 am

At bottom, Deavon, I think this was something that would have occurred eventually anyway unless you yourself had finally had enough and quit. You've been saying for some time that you were staying with this church mostly out of a feeling of obligation and familiarity despite having little sympathy anymore with its theology.

Our body language oftentimes expresses our true feelings, so perhaps yours revealed more than you were aware, and this is what led to your being directed to appear more into the music you were playing.

Difficult though this is for you at the moment, I think possibly you'll come to regard it as having done you a favor.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:15 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I hate it when people interfere with other people's religious moments. Just because he thought you closing your eyes is more worshipful doesn't make it so for you. This is a very personal thing. Do I need to come up there and kick this guy's ass? I would really love telling this guy off!

LOL . . . . yeah, . . . come on over! LOL
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am

DotNotInOz wrote:At bottom, Deavon, I think this was something that would have occurred eventually anyway unless you yourself had finally had enough and quit. You've been saying for some time that you were staying with this church mostly out of a feeling of obligation and familiarity despite having little sympathy anymore with its theology.

Our body language oftentimes expresses our true feelings, so perhaps yours revealed more than you were aware, and this is what led to your being directed to appear more into the music you were playing.

Difficult though this is for you at the moment, I think possibly you'll come to regard it as having done you a favor.

What you say is true. Eventually, I would have had to step down on my own convictions. As for "not moving", I've never been one that moved when I played. I personally feel that, for me, it is too much "focus on me". If I'm moving around, then more eyes may be on me. . . whether it's people thinking it "looks cool", . . . or others who say, "boy he looks stupid doing that". So, I just preferred to do my part, musically, . . . and didn't feel "my stage presence" as being important.

But yeah, knowing what I know now, . . . not being able to be what that church represents and holds doctrinally, I will probably be better off in the long run. I will just miss some of the people.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:36 pm

Jesus did the 'rock star bobble' when he gave the Sermon on the Mount... that it what really swayed the people.
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top