Wrestling thread

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wrestling thread

Post by Ebon on Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:39 am

I strongly suspect Bisch and Hogan were given some degree of control over hiring & firing when they came aboard (how much is open to question) and so, that power couldn't legitimatly be given 100% to Paulie, especially given that Paulie and Bisch hate each other like poison and have never made any secret of it. In other words, TNA painted themselves into a corner.

With regard to Sting: I think that is the right move. That's not to short Sting who was in credible shape and gave it his best try but he was also very expensive and, with the best will in the world, his best days were behind him. TNA needs to be focusing on young talent (yeah, I know).

News:
- Kat Waters, who you might remember (but probably not) as Katie Lea Burchill has signed with TNA. Thank goodness for that. She's both very talented and easy on the eyes and should fit in nicely.

- Matt Hardy has finally convinced WWE to release him after trying his damnedest to get fired for the last three months. Lord knows what he'll do now but he seems happy about it.

- As you've probably seen, "They" turned out to be Fortune, Hogan and Bisch. *sigh* Ever wonder why we still bother?
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:21 pm

Most reports say that the TNA Turning Point PPV was terrible. The only really good match was the Motor City Machine Guns vs. Team 3D. Most of the other matches went to a no decision or a screw job ending. It's becoming obvious that Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are terrible bookers. It's time for Dixie Carter to fire Russo, Sleazy E, and Hogan and bring in Paul Heyman and give him total control or booking.

"Jackson James" the referee in the Hardy vs. Morgan main event at Turning Point is actually Garrett Bischoff, Eric's son. Why does the blatant nepotism not surprise me?

At the iMPACT tapings for Thursday night's show, the company plugged that following the show fans could get their pictures taken with Jeff Hardy for $25. When the time came, Hardy cut a heel promo and walked off, forcing the company to refund the money. Several kids were crying. Way to go Eric, you really know how to piss off your fan base. Given enough time you will take TNA to the same place you took WCW - right into the toilet.

It looks like Doug Williams will be making a face turn. Hopefully, when Desmond Wolfe returns from his medical problems they will turn him face as well. Both are far too talented to have to win by "cheating" which is what heels do.

Finally, a couple of WWE comments. I never liked Michael Cole as an announcer, and now that he has become a heel he grates on me even more. I miss J.R. believe it or not. I wish they would replace Cole with Joey Styles.

Wade Barrett is quite talented, but IMO the Nexus faction comes across as gang-bangers and by having them be successful the WWE is sending the wrong message to their younger fans.

Given the rather ridiculous campaign add Vince did for Linda on last weeks RAW, I'm wondering if he plans a return to TV. If so it could be a way to end the Cena/Nexus angle. At Survivor Series have Cena appear to call the match in Barrett's favor, but at the end have him make a three count on Barrett giving Orton the match. The lights blink and Cole goes to the computer, "And I quote. John Cena disobeyed orders and is therefore fired. Your career is finally finished, Cena." At that point Vince's music hits and he walks out and says that he is the Chairman of the Board of the WWE, and he makes the rules. Cena is not fired but the General Manager is. At that point Cole hangs his head and walks to the back Vince then introduces Todd Grisham as the new play-by-play announcer. I know, it's just wishful thinking.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:25 pm

TPaine wrote:[color=darkblue]Most reports say that the TNA Turning Point PPV was terrible. The only really good match was the Motor City Machine Guns vs. Team 3D. Most of the other matches went to a no decision or a screw job ending. It's becoming obvious that Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff are terrible bookers. It's time for Dixie Carter to fire Russo, Sleazy E, and Hogan and bring in Paul Heyman and give him total control or booking.

It wasn't quite that bad. Jay Lethal vs. Robbie E (Rob Eckos doing a "Jersey Shore" gimmick) was well worth the time. Mickie James and Tara had a hell of a match until a lame DQ finish. MCMG/Team 3D was excellent and the best match 3D have had in years. Dreamer/RVD was lousy although it's not clear how much of that was because Tommy suffered a nasty broken wrist. The "you're fired" match was a mixed bag. Abyss/Pope was a terrible clash of styles. Jarrett/Joe was ok but had a lousy finish and Morgan/Hardy was atrocious, mainly due to Morgan.

The main problem, as it was with late WCW, was that the matches got consistently worse as you went up the card. Dreamer's broken wrist couldn't have been predicted, of course, but in his condition, he shouldn't have been on the card anyway and while I've somewhat revised my opinion of Morgan (as the muscle-bound enforcer to Fortune, he's worth his pay), he shouldn't be anywhere near the main event.

"Jackson James" the referee in the Hardy vs. Morgan main event at Turning Point is actually Garrett Bischoff, Eric's son. Why does the blatant nepotism not surprise me?

Because it's wrestling and neoptism is par for the course?

At the iMPACT tapings for Thursday night's show, the company plugged that following the show fans could get their pictures taken with Jeff Hardy for $25. When the time came, Hardy cut a heel promo and walked off, forcing the company to refund the money. Several kids were crying. Way to go Eric, you really know how to piss off your fan base. Given enough time you will take TNA to the same place you took WCW - right into the toilet.

Yeah, that was weird. I think turning Hardy was kinda dumb anyway. Like him or not, Hardy was one of the few big-league babyfaces TNA had and shifted massive amounts of merchandise (and TNA could really use the money). His face character hadn't gotten stale so I'm baffled as to what the need was to turn him.

It looks like Doug Williams will be making a face turn. Hopefully, when Desmond Wolfe returns from his medical problems they will turn him face as well. Both are far too talented to have to win by "cheating" which is what heels do.

I rather like Wolfe's ultra-aggressive heel character. Of course, what he could do is rip off the early Mr Perfect character: Win matches clean, like a face, but be so overbearingly arrogant about it that fans boo you anyway. Also, I want to see Williams vs. Wolfe.

Finally, a couple of WWE comments. I never liked Michael Cole as an announcer, and now that he has become a heel he grates on me even more. I miss J.R. believe it or not. I wish they would replace Cole with Joey Styles.

Agreed on Cole lately. As a face, he was mediocre, neither terrible nor great, just something you mostly ignore. His heel character annoys the piss out of me.

Wade Barrett is quite talented, but IMO the Nexus faction comes across as gang-bangers and by having them be successful the WWE is sending the wrong message to their younger fans.

I think the major mistake with Nexus was making them a gang at all. Barrett has some talent but he's still a few years away from being convincingly able to main-event. Justin Gabriel has some talent as well. But bringing them in as a gang automatically makes them the focus of the show and quite apart from their message to the TV-PG audience, most of them don't have the talent or training to carry it.

Given the rather ridiculous campaign add Vince did for Linda on last weeks RAW, I'm wondering if he plans a return to TV. If so it could be a way to end the Cena/Nexus angle. At Survivor Series have Cena appear to call the match in Barrett's favor, but at the end have him make a three count on Barrett giving Orton the match. The lights blink and Cole goes to the computer, "And I quote. John Cena disobeyed orders and is therefore fired. Your career is finally finished, Cena." At that point Vince's music hits and he walks out and says that he is the Chairman of the Board of the WWE, and he makes the rules. Cena is not fired but the General Manager is. At that point Cole hangs his head and walks to the back Vince then introduces Todd Grisham as the new play-by-play announcer. I know, it's just wishful thinking.

If the monkeys had any idea where the GM Vista storyline is heading, that might be an interesting way to finish it.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 am

Ebon wrote:
It wasn't quite that bad. Jay Lethal vs. Robbie E (Rob Eckos doing a "Jersey Shore" gimmick) was well worth the time. Mickie James and Tara had a hell of a match until a lame DQ finish. MCMG/Team 3D was excellent and the best match 3D have had in years. Dreamer/RVD was lousy although it's not clear how much of that was because Tommy suffered a nasty broken wrist. The "you're fired" match was a mixed bag. Abyss/Pope was a terrible clash of styles. Jarrett/Joe was ok but had a lousy finish and Morgan/Hardy was atrocious, mainly due to Morgan.
I guess my main problem with the Robbie E/Lethal match is their giving Eckos the belt after being on the roster for only about a month. I remember a time when a worker had to earn his spot. I guess I put it alongside of WWE giving the belt to Sheamus. Much as I used to love ECW, the guys are over the hill now. Sabu and Raven are gone and Rhino turned heel. Maybe they're ready to kill the angle.

Ebon wrote:The main problem, as it was with late WCW, was that the matches got consistently worse as you went up the card. Dreamer's broken wrist couldn't have been predicted, of course, but in his condition, he shouldn't have been on the card anyway and while I've somewhat revised my opinion of Morgan (as the muscle-bound enforcer to Fortune, he's worth his pay), he shouldn't be anywhere near the main event.
I agree on the need to build the match quality throughout the card, but Turning Point was, IMO, badly booked. As you said too many of the matches had conflicting styles or wrestlers who were either past their peak (EV2) or never had a peak (Morgan). To a degree, however, I understand why they used Morgan in the main event. The feud they're building is Ken Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy but Ken's concussion kept him from appearing. If they had booked the match with Pope, Williams, or RVD it would have started a new feud and knocked Anderson down the list. Besides William's face turn won't actually happen until next week. Once Ken is back they can move Morgan into another feud, possibly with Rob Terry in curtain jerker matches.

Ebon wrote:Because it's wrestling and neoptism is par for the course?
Sad, but true.

Ebon wrote:Yeah, that was weird. I think turning Hardy was kinda dumb anyway. Like him or not, Hardy was one of the few big-league babyfaces TNA had and shifted massive amounts of merchandise (and TNA could really use the money). His face character hadn't gotten stale so I'm baffled as to what the need was to turn him.
It seems that Sleazy E and Hogan are trying to redo the Hollywood Hogan turn in WCW. You have to admit ir was one hell of a swerve. No one saw it coming. With Hardy, Wolfe, AJ, and Kaz all on the heel side they have a lot of talented workers as bad guys. I like to see the good technical guys on the face side, but that's just me.

Ebon wrote:Agreed on Cole lately. As a face, he was mediocre, neither terrible nor great, just something you mostly ignore. His heel character annoys the piss out of me.
I'm tempted to start watching RAW with the volume turned off.

Ebon wrote:I think the major mistake with Nexus was making them a gang at all. Barrett has some talent but he's still a few years away from being convincingly able to main-event. Justin Gabriel has some talent as well. But bringing them in as a gang automatically makes them the focus of the show and quite apart from their message to the TV-PG audience, most of them don't have the talent or training to carry it.
Agreed, but it seems to be the way both companies are headed.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Luke Gallows and Jillian Hall have both been released by the WWE.

Ken Anderson will be kept out of action until 2011 due to his concussion, and Desmond Wolfe should be back in action soon.

The Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that Sting and perhaps Kevin Nash will be re-signed by TNA. The plan is for Sting to be the "A-list" baby-face taking on the Immortals.

Here is a link to an out-of-character interview with Wade Barrett.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:47 am

Hall is no great loss but I'm surprised to see Gallows go. About a dozen developmental workers have also been cut.

TNA is obviously playing it safe with Anderson's concussion which is a surprisingly reassuring turn of events. Not sure what happened with Wolfe but the sooner he's back, the better.

Unless they're willing to take big wage cuts, I'm unsure of the wisdom of re-signing Nash and Sting. Nash is in his fifties with a heart condition and was never more than passable in his prime. Sting, while still a decent worker, is slowing down and isn't capable of wrestling very often. Moreover, the lead face to oppose the Immortals should be either a homegrown TNA name (say, Joe) or a coalition (off the top of my head, Angle, Joe, the MCMGs, Red and the Pope).

More importantly, haven't we seen this angle before several times? I'm aware that there are only seven stories but there's an infinite number of ways to tell them

Power Slam picked up the interview with Barrett. Interesting but largely what you'd expect.

With regard to Rob Eckos/Robbie E: I'm willing to let his sudden ascension slide on the grounds that pop-culture gimmicks like this rarely have much shelf life. When "Jersey Shore" inevitibly goes off the boil in a few months, his character will need changing so it's important to get the most out of the gimmick while you still can.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:04 pm

The person behind the Matt Morgan push in TNA is Ric Flair. He sees "great potential" in Morgan and is working with him before every iMPACT! taping.

The WWE also released Shad Gaspard who was half of the Cryme Tyme tag team.

Chris Long, 33, who wrestled for Lucha Libre USA as "Solid," was shot and killed while working as bouncer at a DeKalb County, GA strip club. He is survived by his wife and two children.
Link

I'm interested in seeing how the WWE resolves the Cena angle. Since his merchandise is the top seller in the company, I can't see them keeping him off TV or turning him heel. That would leave having Vince overturn the "general manager" or having Barrett decide to force Cena into staying in Nexus in order to continue to humiliate him. That could set up a Barrett/Cena main event for Wrestlemania.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:11 pm

And, to add to the parade of depressing news, Gran naniwa died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 33.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Ebon wrote:And, to add to the parade of depressing news, Gran naniwa died of a heart attack yesterday at the age of 33.
IWRG star Higo de Cien Caras (Ignacio Jimenez) was shot and killed while sitting in a car outside a house in Mexico Sunday night. He is the second luchador (the first being LL-USA star Solid) murdered in the past week. Requiescat in pace.

It looks like the WWE is planning to dust off the old Dusty Rhodes/Midnight Rider and Hulk Hogan/Mr. America gimmick with John Cena wearing a mask and calling himself Juan Cena, his Mexican "cousin." Apparently he will be in fatal four-way matches against Wade Barrett, Miz, and Randy Orton throughout December. How lame can it get?
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 am

And about a bazillion guys have done the Yellow Dog gimmick too. This is pretty much what I expect from WWE these days.

Paulie Heyman is working on his autobiography. Scheduled for next summer and has the working title of "The Heyman Hustle". That will probably be a must-read.

Dustin "Golddust" Rhodes is also finishing up his autobiography. Apparently shocking in it's honesty, that has the working title of "Cross Rhodes".

Joey Styles's contract has expired but he's expected to sign a new one in the near future.

Management are apparently very pleased with CM Punk's work as colour man on commentry.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 pm

MVP was granted his release from the WWE last Thursday. The question is, where he will go. It could be Japan, TNA, ROH. Following his release he wrote, "No need for alarm. I did not get fired. I asked for & received my release. I felt it was time to go international & freshen things up." on his Twitter page.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:39 pm

I suspect TNA will be interested. MVP's style doesn't really fit what Japan looks for in it's gaijin workers.

ODB is talking retirement.

Samoa Joe's contract with TNA has expired. He's working on a per-show deal until a new contract can be worked out.

Results from Final Resolution last night (here be SPOILERS so countdown ahead...)

Beer Money gets a win over Ink Inc. Match was a decent opener but nothing special. Neal is improving.

Falls Count Anywhere: Tara pins Mickie James. Good, intense match but a bit short.

X Title: Robbie E beats Jay Lethal by DQ. Finish is that Cookie tossed her hairspray to Eckos, Lethal intercepted and used it on Eckos, ref caught him and called the DQ. I would imagine that will lead to a match next month with Lethal getting the X title back. Pop-culture gimmicks rarely have much shelf life.

First Blood: RVD beats Rhino. Which idiot booked this? The stip really didn't help RVD in a match that was already a style clash. Rob wins with a Van Terminator and a REALLY obvious blade job from Rhino.

TV title: Doug Williams pins AJ Styles. Great match. Really good mixture of Styles's high-flying and Williams's mat-based technical style which meshed together into a smooth back-and-forth match with occasional explosive flurries. Williams finally wins by using the Styles Clash on AJ.

Tag-title, Full Metal Mayhem: Motor-City Machineguns take a win over Generation Me. Match was a little sloppy in places, probably because of the gimmick because when they didn't bother with the props, the two teams meshed well.

Casket Match, Pope Vs Abyss: Less of a style clash than it could have been but still noticeable. Match was ok but nothing special. Abyss wins by chokeslamming Pope into teh casket.

Submission Match, Jeff Jarrett / Samoa Joe: Joe takes it. Weird finish to this one. It looked like Jeff was going to win with an ankle-pick but according to these results, Joe takes it.

Title, Jeff Hardy Vs Matt Morgan: Hardy takes another victory. Match was pure "meh". According to backstage rumour, Jeff was under the influence of something prior to the match.

So, another PPV and the same problems. The talent largely performed to the best of their abilities and in some places (Williams/Styles, parts of MCMG/GenMe), the results were first rate but the booking was awful. First off, every single match was either a title match or a gimmick match. That's massively overbooked. Secondly, Hardy shouldn't have been in the ring. Wrestling is a dangerous enough occupation when you're clean and sober. Thirdly, RVD/Rhino and Jarrett/Joe do not have compatible styles and should not be booked together.

I dread to think how TNA's workers feel at this point because they have a tremendous level of talent and when the booking crew back up and let them work, they routinely tear the house down.

Oh, Shark Boy made a couple of cameos and got popped every time. Why is this guy not getting more TV time? OK, he's a mid-card (at best) comedy character but it's an original gimmick, he can work a decent match and he's already over so where's the harm in featuring him a little more?
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Ebon wrote:I suspect TNA will be interested. MVP's style doesn't really fit what Japan looks for in it's gaijin workers.
I'm surprised that TNA hasn't picked up Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas. They would strengthen and already excellent tag team division. I'd love to see them feud with Beer Money.

Ebon wrote:ODB is talking retirement.
The promoter in Wisconsin, Dave Herro, said ODB did not tease retirement at his show. Did you know she managed the Miz in OVH back in 2006?

Ebon wrote:Samoa Joe's contract with TNA has expired. He's working on a per-show deal until a new contract can be worked out.
Reports are that Joe signed a new contract before the PPV. It is not known whether it was a long-term or short-term deal.

Ebon wrote:Beer Money gets a win over Ink Inc. Match was a decent opener but nothing special. Neal is improving.
Along with the Usos, Ink Inc would be the top team in WWE.

Ebon wrote:Falls Count Anywhere: Tara pins Mickie James. Good, intense match but a bit short.
I heard it was a brawl, not a match - very little wrestling

Ebon wrote:X Title: Robbie E beats Jay Lethal by DQ. Finish is that Cookie tossed her hairspray to Eckos, Lethal intercepted and used it on Eckos, ref caught him and called the DQ. I would imagine that will lead to a match next month with Lethal getting the X title back. Pop-culture gimmicks rarely have much shelf life.
The gimmick of the valet giving the heel something to spray in the babyface's eyes is totally predictable but Lethal intercepting it sounds like a decent swerve. It would have been better if the ref hadn't caught him.

Ebon wrote:First Blood: RVD beats Rhino. Which idiot booked this? The stip really didn't help RVD in a match that was already a style clash. Rob wins with a Van Terminator and a REALLY obvious blade job from Rhino.
A Rhino/RVD feud makes absolutely no sense.

Ebon wrote:TV title: Doug Williams pins AJ Styles. Great match. Really good mixture of Styles's high-flying and Williams's mat-based technical style which meshed together into a smooth back-and-forth match with occasional explosive flurries. Williams finally wins by using the Styles Clash on AJ.
This could develop into a great feud!

Ebon wrote:Tag-title, Full Metal Mayhem: Motor-City Machineguns take a win over Generation Me. Match was a little sloppy in places, probably because of the gimmick because when they didn't bother with the props, the two teams meshed well.
Both teams are too talented to waste in gimmick matches. Put the four of them in the ring and let them do their thing.

Ebon wrote:Casket Match, Pope Vs Abyss: Less of a style clash than it could have been but still noticeable. Match was ok but nothing special. Abyss wins by chokeslamming Pope into teh casket.
The casket gimmick made sense with Taker and Kane, but not with Abyss and Pope. An Abyss/Matt Morgan feud makes more sense to me.

Ebon wrote:Submission Match, Jeff Jarrett / Samoa Joe: Joe takes it. Weird finish to this one. It looked like Jeff was going to win with an ankle-pick but according to these results, Joe takes it.
According to the TNA site, Joe submitted after Gunner and Murphy interfered.

Ebon wrote:Title, Jeff Hardy Vs Matt Morgan: Hardy takes another victory. Match was pure "meh". According to backstage rumour, Jeff was under the influence of something prior to the match.
From what I've seen, Morgan is starting to improve. Hopefully he'll actually reach his potential. I'm beginning to wonder about Jeff Hardy. It's beginning to look like he has some serious "issues" lately since he appeared to be "hammered" before the PPV. It was bad enough that TNA thought about pulling him from the card. He is due in court Wednesday.

Ebon wrote:So, another PPV and the same problems. The talent largely performed to the best of their abilities and in some places (Williams/Styles, parts of MCMG/GenMe), the results were first rate but the booking was awful. First off, every single match was either a title match or a gimmick match. That's massively overbooked. Secondly, Hardy shouldn't have been in the ring. Wrestling is a dangerous enough occupation when you're clean and sober. Thirdly, RVD/Rhino and Jarrett/Joe do not have compatible styles and should not be booked together.
You expect good booking from Vince Russo and Sleazy E? Bischoff's ego demands he play an important role every week, and Russo is known for his over-the-top booking and his compulsion to swerve the smark sites. Further, both seem more interested in pushing feuds based on personality rather than in-ring compatibility. They don't seem to remember that the marquee says "wrestling."

Ebon wrote:I dread to think how TNA's workers feel at this point because they have a tremendous level of talent and when the booking crew back up and let them work, they routinely tear the house down.
The PW Torch reports that the talent is frustrated with the production team due to the lack of accountability after a poor job at the PPV. I would agree that they should also be upset about the overuse of gimmicks and poor matchmaking by the bookers, but that is nothing new.

Ebon wrote:Oh, Shark Boy made a couple of cameos and got popped every time. Why is this guy not getting more TV time? OK, he's a mid-card (at best) comedy character but it's an original gimmick, he can work a decent match and he's already over so where's the harm in featuring him a little more?
I love his Stone Cold impersonation, but they are having trouble finding TV time for all the workers they have now. That will get worse since London Brawling (Desmond Wolfe & Brutus Magnus) are due to return at any time.

Finally, a couple of news items. The 7' wrestler who appeared with Tyson Kidd on RAW is Jackson Andrews (Steve Slocum) who is currently working with Florida Championship Wrestling. TNA has vacated the Knockouts Tag Championshp and released co-champion Hamada
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 am

TPaine wrote: I'm surprised that TNA hasn't picked up Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas. They would strengthen and already excellent tag team division. I'd love to see them feud with Beer Money.

I'm somewhat surprised by that as well. If ROH can afford them, you know their asking price is reasonable so I hope this is just some technicality and they'll turn up in TNA before long. I want to see a MCMG/Benjamin & Haas match.

The promoter in Wisconsin, Dave Herro, said ODB did not tease retirement at his show. Did you know she managed the Miz in OVH back in 2006?

I didn't, no.

Reports are that Joe signed a new contract before the PPV. It is not known whether it was a long-term or short-term deal.

Good news. TNA cannot afford to lose Joe.

Along with the Usos, Ink Inc would be the top team in WWE.

Which says everything about TNA's approach to tag wrestling.

I heard it was a brawl, not a match - very little wrestling

True but it was a bloody good brawl. They had a cage match on Impact which I'm told was pretty good but Tara suffered a minor elbow injury in the process and will be out 3-4 weeks.

The gimmick of the valet giving the heel something to spray in the babyface's eyes is totally predictable but Lethal intercepting it sounds like a decent swerve. It would have been better if the ref hadn't caught him.

Maybe but I get the impression that was mainly to spin the feud out for another month rather than hot-potatoing the title between the two of them.

A Rhino/RVD feud makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed. The two tried their best but their styles don't mesh well.

This could develop into a great feud!

I really hope so. The two easily had match of the night and the humiliation tactic of using AJ's finish on him makes me think that it will continue (a humiliated AJ coming back for revenge). I could certainly stand to watch those two duke it out for a while longer.

Both teams are too talented to waste in gimmick matches. Put the four of them in the ring and let them do their thing.

Pretty much my feelings. I tend to think gimmick matches should be used sparingly, either to cover for weak performers or as the blow-off to a long-running heated feud. Now, if MCMG and GenMe had been in a violent feud for six months before finally blowing it off with, say, an Ultimate X match, I'd be fine with that.

The casket gimmick made sense with Taker and Kane, but not with Abyss and Pope. An Abyss/Matt Morgan feud makes more sense to me.

Good idea. Their styles are far more compatible. I presume the casket match bit is an extension of Abyss's ridiculous feud with Sting.

According to the TNA site, Joe submitted after Gunner and Murphy interfered.

My bad, turns out my report had a typo. Still, I'm not sure of the wisdom of a Jarrett submission win over the "Samoan Submission Machine".

From what I've seen, Morgan is starting to improve. Hopefully he'll actually reach his potential. I'm beginning to wonder about Jeff Hardy. It's beginning to look like he has some serious "issues" lately since he appeared to be "hammered" before the PPV. It was bad enough that TNA thought about pulling him from the card. He is due in court Wednesday.

From the POV of a performer, I wouldn't want to be in the ring with someone who was "impaired". The guys I worked with back when I was using had every right to complain that I was dangerous and Hardy is the same way. Wrestling is too dangerous a business to be done by someone who is not fully in control of their faculties. I like Hardy but between his well-documented drug problems, turning up to the show loaded on something and that video where he insulted and claimed to have "made" CM Punk (credit for which should go to Raven, if anyone), one has to wonder if Jeff should be in the wrestling business right now.

You expect good booking from Vince Russo and Sleazy E?

Expect? No, but I'm always hoping to be pleasently surprised.

I love his Stone Cold impersonation, but they are having trouble finding TV time for all the workers they have now. That will get worse since London Brawling (Desmond Wolfe & Brutus Magnus) are due to return at any time.

Which really points out the problem here: TNA only has two hours a week (three, if you count Explosion), it employs more talent than it can effectively use and Hogan/Bisch routinely use up a quarter of that TV time. I understand the need to have an authority figure on the shows but Jim Cornette did much the same job in five or ten minutes per show (and was a damn sight more entertaining). TNA is not WWE. WWE fans might be ok with having long promos opening and closing the show and long strylines about the backstage balance of power but TNA fans are wrestling fans. They want good, well-constructed matches with just enough storyline to support the matches and no more. Jim Cornette (and I use him as an example because he did the job well) comes out, announces the matches, dispenses a couple of wisecracks and that's enough for most TNA fans but they don't want, and you and I don't want, long storylines about politics, long promos of Bisch metaphorically stroking himself and attempts to re-enact storylines WCW already beat into the ground fifteen years ago.

Finally, a couple of news items. The 7' wrestler who appeared with Tyson Kidd on RAW is Jackson Andrews (Steve Slocum) who is currently working with Florida Championship Wrestling. TNA has vacated the Knockouts Tag Championshp and released co-champion Hamada

Hamada was talented, relatively cheap, co-operative and fun to watch so why does her release not surprise me? TNA's talent management is rapidly going from "nonsensical" to "self-destructive".

Also news: Dustin "Golddust" Rhodes is out for 5-6 months. Season 4 of NXT has started, Byron Saxton and Johnny Curtis show some promise.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 pm

I just saw an interview with Chris Nowinski in MSNBC. I'm sure you know that he was forced to retire from the WWE in 2003 due to post-concussion syndrome. He now president of an organization named Sports Legacy Institute the goal of which is to solve the concussion problem in sports and the military. Their website is here. He was the one to asked the police and coroner to do a brain exam on Chris Benoit.

One thing I really approved of with the TNA booking was the idea of having Matt Morgan speak about the concussion problem in wrestling. I doubt that Vince would ever consider doing something like that.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top