Wrestling thread

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Wrestling thread

Post by Ebon on Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Gah, I just had a long message eaten!

You missed AJ Vs Jeff Hardy (non-title, Jeff won a great match) and teh debut of RVD.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 pm

Is RVD playing a face or heel role? Hopefully I'll be able to get my DirecTV hooked up before too much longer so I can watch the programs.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:42 am

So far, RVD is playing face. Albeit that's mainly because the fans blew the roof off for him. He also accidently turned up at Impact 24-hours early and then was honest enough to effectively say "Yeah, I was high when I took down the message". Since it's only pot and he never works high, most are willing to forgive him for his private vices.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Ebon wrote:So far, RVD is playing face. Albeit that's mainly because the fans blew the roof off for him. He also accidently turned up at Impact 24-hours early and then was honest enough to effectively say "Yeah, I was high when I took down the message". Since it's only pot and he never works high, most are willing to forgive him for his private vices.
I'd love to see Jeff Hardy and RVD team up. That would be one hell of a tag team. A match between them and the Guns, Generation Me, or Beer Money would be awesome. Have you any information about Samoa Joe. I haven't heard anything since he was "kidnapped" at the end of Impact about a month ago. He's the perfect challenger for AJ's belt unless they give it to Jeff or RVD as part of a signing agreement. I also have no idea what happened to Lashley. I haven't heard anything about him since Sleazy E. "fired" him.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:32 am

You actually missed that on Monday. Jeff/RVD vs. Beer Money and, although rushed, it was damn good (would have been awesome with a bit more time).

Joe seems to have disappeared right now. I don't know if he's having contract problems or what but he wasn't on Monday's show at all and hasn't been seen in weeks. Lashley is out for the moment. Essentially, it got to be too hard to work around his MMA career/training so, for the time being, they went their seperate ways.

Currently, Abyss is AJ's main challenger. AJ is trying to be Flair v2.0 while Abyss is aping Hogan. The whole thing is so stupid as to make me want to personally injure whoever's booking this crap.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:34 am

Couple of news bits:
- Warrior posted on his blog that he turned down an introduction to WWE's Hall of Fame (which he did). He said he turned it down because the career bio of him portrayed him as unprofessional, a bad worker and borderline insane (which he was) and in that case, why would they want to induct him? (Very good question, I'm not sure why the offer was made either).

- Bill Goldberg is talking about getting back into the wrestling business. Regardless of what we think of his ability, Goldberg remains a solid drawing card and TNA could really use that (albeit, they probably couldn't afford his fee).

- Apparently, even Vince hasn't decided on a winner for the Michaels/'Taker match at 'Mania yet. Given that Shawn would like to become a "special attractions only" performer and 'Taker is in need of a hip replacement and some time to heal, the streak vs. career match really could go either way.

- Under current plans, Jim Ross will not be a part of the WM broadcast although that could (and probably will) change.

- This year's Hall of Fame inductions: Gorgeous George Wagner, Maurice "Mad Dog" Vachon, Antonio Inoki, Stu Hart, Ted DiBiase Sr, Wendi Richter and Bob Uecker. Richter is an odd choice but probably included for her part in the "Rock N' Wrestling Connection". Uecker is just mystifying as his small parts in WM 3 & 4 didn't really amount to much.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am

What qualifies Warrior for the Hall of Fame? The guy used to blow up on his way to the ring and he had no idea how to wrestle. His mental state has always been questionable at best, but I guess he got the invitation because, like Hogan, he put asses in the seats.

Goldberg is negotiating with the WWE and wants to bring in Charger linebacker Shawn Merriman as his tag team partner.

Obviously Vince knows nothing about wrestling talent despite a lifetime in the business. How can a sportscaster like Bob Uecker be in the Hall of Fame and Lou Thesz not be?
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:06 am

I have no idea why Warrior was even nominated. Even his drawing power is dubious. He had a good two-year run on the undercard, then he won the word title, the fans saw through him and he never drew flies after that.

Goldberg actually is a draw. He's not a great worker and his motivation is highly questionable but he really does sell tickets and lots of them.

The Hall of Fame seems to be based on Vince's personal feelings. In the past, he's inducted both Baron von Rashke and Johnny Rodz, two obscure undercard talents. On the other hand, we could both come up with a list of talents who should be in the HoF like Lou Thesz and Bruno Samartino (Bruno would probably refuse to turn up for the induction, as would Randy Savage who should also be in there). Jake Roberts and Rick Rude should be in there too.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:28 am

News bites:
- Chris Kanyon passed away on April 2nd at the age of 40. Cause of death is undetermined as yet but appears to have been suicide by overdose. In addition to his well-known troubles with various promotions (some relating to his homosexuality), Kanyon suffered from bipolar disorder which may well have played a major part in his apparent suicide.

- Chris Daniels has officially parted company with TNA. No indications yet on any reasons.

- As you may well have seen, Jack Swagger won WrestleMania's Money In The Bank match. He cashed in his shot and claimed the Heavyweight title at Tueday's Smackdown taping. While Swagger certainly has the talent, he's been booked as an opening match loser for the last year so I question whether he'll be able to recover quickly enough to make his title reign worthwhile.

- Al Snow worked for TNA at the promotion's most recent TV taping. No word yet on whether he's been offered a contract.

- Rey Mysterio is saying he will retire in three years. Wrestling retirements being what they are, take that for what it's worth...

- There are no plans for the return of the Mr. MacMahon character. As the character span out of the Montreal Screwjob, the feeling is that Bret Hart's revenge for that betrayal at WrestleMania is the perfect opportunity to retire the character.

- The Nastys are officially done with TNA due to their fitness, attitude and age.

- Jeff Hardy and Shannon Moore are apparently trying to talk Matt Hardy into jumping to TNA in the near-future.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Ebon wrote:News bites:
- Chris Kanyon passed away on April 2nd at the age of 40. Cause of death is undetermined as yet but appears to have been suicide by overdose. In addition to his well-known troubles with various promotions (some relating to his homosexuality), Kanyon suffered from bipolar disorder which may well have played a major part in his apparent suicide.
I'm sorry to hear about Chris Kanyon's passing. I remember him as a talented individual who never got a decent push.

Ebon wrote:- Chris Daniels has officially parted company with TNA. No indications yet on any reasons.
I don't blame Chris at all. This guy has a world of talent, but many of the gimmicks he was forced into never gave him an opportunity to showcase that talent. He did a great jod as Curry Man and Suicide (when Kaz wasn't playing Suicide). I don't know where he will go because he may be too small for the WWE. Vince like huge workers even if they have no apparent talent.

Ebon wrote:- As you may well have seen, Jack Swagger won WrestleMania's Money In The Bank match. He cashed in his shot and claimed the Heavyweight title at Tueday's Smackdown taping. While Swagger certainly has the talent, he's been booked as an opening match loser for the last year so I question whether he'll be able to recover quickly enough to make his title reign worthwhile.
I'd like to see Swagger get a serious push as he is extremely talented. Since Vince is pushing an actual wrestler, maybe Shelton Benjamin may still have a chance. If not I'd love to see him go to TNA.

Ebon wrote:- Al Snow worked for TNA at the promotion's most recent TV taping. No word yet on whether he's been offered a contract.
I know that Snow and Mick Foley are really close, so Hogan may be doing Mick a favor by using Al. He does have talent, and I loved his head gimmick in ECW.

Ebon wrote:- Rey Mysterio is saying he will retire in three years. Wrestling retirements being what they are, take that for what it's worth...
If Rey does retire, he will be missed.

Ebon wrote:- There are no plans for the return of the Mr. MacMahon character. As the character span out of the Montreal Screwjob, the feeling is that Bret Hart's revenge for that betrayal at WrestleMania is the perfect opportunity to retire the character.
The question is will Vince's ego allow him to stay out of the spotlight?

Ebon wrote:- The Nastys are officially done with TNA due to their fitness, attitude and age.
I'm sure the only reason they were there in the first place was because of their friendship with Hogan. The question before the house is, how long will it be before Ed Leslie shows up?

Ebon wrote:- Jeff Hardy and Shannon Moore are apparently trying to talk Matt Hardy into jumping to TNA in the near-future.
That would be a coup for TNA
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 am

TPaine wrote: I'm sorry to hear about Chris Kanyon's passing. I remember him as a talented individual who never got a decent push.

Pretty much my recollection too. Mark Madden described him as a top-flight worker and trainer but a mediocre speaker. Everyone else says he was a damn good guy when he was taking his meds but impossible to be around when he was off them. The ruling of suicide by overdose has now been confirmed. Here's hoping the poor guy gets the peace in death he was so obviously missing in life.

I don't blame Chris at all. This guy has a world of talent, but many of the gimmicks he was forced into never gave him an opportunity to showcase that talent. He did a great job as Curry Man and Suicide (when Kaz wasn't playing Suicide). I don't know where he will go because he may be too small for the WWE. Vince like huge workers even if they have no apparent talent.

First stop for Daniels is ROH, who love working with him. The Curry Man persona is over in Japan so he can make a living there too.

I'd like to see Swagger get a serious push as he is extremely talented. Since Vince is pushing an actual wrestler, maybe Shelton Benjamin may still have a chance. If not I'd love to see him go to TNA.

Interestingly, Swagger had a cute little exchange with Shelton on Smackdown. It'll probably go nowhere but raised a few eyebrows all the same. A cocky, bullying Swagger against plucky underdog Shelton program has all sorts of potential. One way of doing things would be, in the draft in a few weeks, to re-organise things so that RAW is the home of traditional MacMahon style "sports entertainment" while positioning Smackdown as the more "pure wrestling" show.

I'm sure the only reason they were there in the first place was because of their friendship with Hogan. The question before the house is, how long will it be before Ed Leslie shows up?

Ugh! Don't tempt fate.

That would be a coup for TNA

Probably be good for Matt too. He's done pretty much everything he can in WWE (short of a title run which he's too small for). In TNA, he can have money feuds with everyone from Jarrett to Anderson, he's of a size where he can work both X and heavyweight divisions as a single while tagging with his brother or lifelong friend Moore (or both, in a Freebirds-style team) whenever the mood takes them.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

News:
- Former NWA and AWA champion Gene Kinski passed away yesterday at the age of 81. While always sad to lose a legend, he was elderly and it was clearly his time to go. Let's at least give thanks that he lived a long, full and mostly healthy life.

- TNA officials are reportedly concerned about the wellbeing of Jeff Hardy. They cite his vague and sometimes incomprehensible promos, sloppy ring work and erratic behaviour. I hate to say it in light of his pending drug trial but, as wrestling's most obvious space cadet, a short jail term might actually be in Jeff's best interests. At the least, the guy has obvious drug problems and needs to either get clean or get professional help to do so. Oh, and he accidently concussed Kevin Nash during a recent cage match by missing the swanton and landing on Nash's head.

- The release of Chris Daniels from TNA is apparently down to Eric Bischoff who didn't like Daniels or see anything in him. And again, we wonder if Bisch knows a damn thing about talent...

- TNA's backstage soap opera continues. Jeff Jarrett and Karen Angle recently got engaged. And now, Kurt has gotten engaged to 24-yr old actress Giovanna Yannotti.

- Dixie Carter recently commented that TNA is working on two new shows. No other details yet but, assuming someone sane reschedules Impact so they stop getting massacred in the ratings every week, that could be something worthwhile. When they're not committing suicide by going head-to-head with RAW, Impact has a built-in audience of around a 1.0 which is a touch over a million viewers. That's a decent base to build further shows on.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Ebon wrote:News:
- Former NWA and AWA champion Gene Kinski passed away yesterday at the age of 81. While always sad to lose a legend, he was elderly and it was clearly his time to go. Let's at least give thanks that he lived a long, full and mostly healthy life.
I remember Gene as a tough Canadian brawler who was Lou Thesz's choice to win the NWA tile when Lou was ready to retire after his last title reign in the '60s. Kiniski was a performer, not a wrestler, but like Harley Race he always tried his best to make it look real and please the fans. He'll be missed.

Ebon wrote:- TNA officials are reportedly concerned about the wellbeing of Jeff Hardy. They cite his vague and sometimes incomprehensible promos, sloppy ring work and erratic behaviour. I hate to say it in light of his pending drug trial but, as wrestling's most obvious space cadet, a short jail term might actually be in Jeff's best interests. At the least, the guy has obvious drug problems and needs to either get clean or get professional help to do so. Oh, and he accidently concussed Kevin Nash during a recent cage match by missing the swanton and landing on Nash's head.
Jeff needs to get his head straight, but I'm not sure prison is the answer. It could actually make things worse.

Ebon wrote:- The release of Chris Daniels from TNA is apparently down to Eric Bischoff who didn't like Daniels or see anything in him. And again, we wonder if Bisch knows a damn thing about talent...
Someone actually thought Sleazy E did know a damn thing about talent? Isn't this the guy that fired Steve Austin via. Fed Ex because he didn't believe Steve would ever become anything in the business? Isn't he the one who thought "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer and the KISS Demon would be the biggest things to ever hit pro wrestling?

Ebon wrote:- TNA's backstage soap opera continues. Jeff Jarrett and Karen Angle recently got engaged. And now, Kurt has gotten engaged to 24-yr old actress Giovanna Yannotti.
This almost cries for a JJ/Kurt feud, so guess what you won't see.

Ebon wrote:- Dixie Carter recently commented that TNA is working on two new shows. No other details yet but, assuming someone sane reschedules Impact so they stop getting massacred in the ratings every week, that could be something worthwhile. When they're not committing suicide by going head-to-head with RAW, Impact has a built-in audience of around a 1.0 which is a touch over a million viewers. That's a decent base to build further shows on.
IMO they have the talent to compete with Raw. What they don't have is the booking. As long as Hogan and Sleazy E continue to push their over the hill "4-life" buddies Hall, Nash, and Waltman while ignoring the real talent on the roster they'll continue to get clobbered in the ratings. They have an hour that doesn't go head to head with Raw. Use it to showcase the talent and speed of the X division. At about 5 minutes to nine start a 20 to 30 minute main even 5 star match with your top workers like Angle, AJ, Joe, Pope, RVD, and Devon Wolfe. Look what Paul Heyman did with no real talent on the roster and almost no money. He scared the hell out of both the WWF and WCW.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm

TV is back, and I totally enjoyed TNA tonight. Fairly good opening for tonights show with AJ doing a decent heel promo, then being joined by RVD and Jeff Hardy. Hogan comes out to say that Van Dam and Hardy will have a match and the winner will have a title match with Styles. AJ tewlls Hogan he won't be able to compete by Sacrifice, and Hogan tells him he never mentioned Sacrifice. AJ smiles, the Hogan tells him the match won't be at Sacrifice, it will be tonight. AJ goes ballistic and stomps off.

Match 1: Daffney & ODB vs. The Beautiful People for the tag belts: This was a fair Knockouts match, nothing special. Rating *1/2

Backstage Flair insists he wants a Team Flair Team Hogan rematch. Sleazy E. agrees it will be Sting, Desmond Wolfe, & Beer Money vs. Jarrett, Abyss, Rob Terry, and a wrestler to be named later.

Match 2: RVD vs. Jeff Hardy: Given the fact that these two were in a great match last night at Lockdown, the two put on an excellent match despite both still hurting. TNA was smart to have the match overlap the start of Raw as this one would be hard to turn away from. The match went 12:00 minutes of chaotic action with both performers giving it all. In the end, Jeff missed a Swanton, and RVD countered with a Five Star Frog Splash for the win, Rating ***1/2

Match 3: Team Flair vs. Team Hogan: JJ starts with Sting. Much of the action takes place out of the ring, with Sting finally pinning Jarrett after 5 minutes giving Team Flair the advantage. (It always goes that way. When will they learn that the fans realize that?) Next in is Desmond Wolfe. He beats on Jarrett for the two minute advantage then Rob Terry comes to even the odds. Terry is ripped, but is not by any means a main-event talent. Since RVD & Hardy had already had a match, they had to find someone, I guess. Robert Roode and Abyss came in during the break, and joined the battle, but we know that nothing matters until everyone is in the match. James Storm is next for the heels and gives them the advantage until the final member of Team Hogan arrives. Who will it be? Ed Leslie? NO!! It's Samoa Joe back from the kidnapping TNA must have forgotten they had booked. Joe looked great. He was wearing his original gear and playing his original character. Joe pins Roode with a musclebuster. Rating ***

Match 4: RVD vs. AJ Styles for the TNA Championship: The two have 8 minutes, and I wish they had more time, but I also realize that this is Van Dam's 4th match in 2 days, so I doubt hew could actually go for much longer. The two go back and forth putting on a great show. RVD hit a Rolling Thunder for a near pin at 6:00 minuted, and AJ followed with a Figure 4. Styles tried a springboard which Fan Dam turned into a powerbomb followed by a Five Star Frog Splash and the clean win at the 8:00 mark. Rob Van Dam is the new TNA Heavyweight Champion! Rating: ***1/2 If the two were both rested and had more time this could easily have been a 5* match.

Great live show.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 am

TPaine wrote: Someone actually thought Sleazy E did know a damn thing about talent? Isn't this the guy that fired Steve Austin via. Fed Ex because he didn't believe Steve would ever become anything in the business? Isn't he the one who thought "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer and the KISS Demon would be the biggest things to ever hit pro wrestling?

In fairness to Bisch, "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer was a hangover from the Jim Herd admin. The rest are on him though.

This almost cries for a JJ/Kurt feud, so guess what you won't see.

I can kinda see why they'd want to avoid it though, given the potential for wounded feelings or lost tempers.

IMO they have the talent to compete with Raw. What they don't have is the booking. As long as Hogan and Sleazy E continue to push their over the hill "4-life" buddies Hall, Nash, and Waltman while ignoring the real talent on the roster they'll continue to get clobbered in the ratings. They have an hour that doesn't go head to head with Raw. Use it to showcase the talent and speed of the X division. At about 5 minutes to nine start a 20 to 30 minute main even 5 star match with your top workers like Angle, AJ, Joe, Pope, RVD, and Devon Wolfe. Look what Paul Heyman did with no real talent on the roster and almost no money. He scared the hell out of both the WWF and WCW.

True but Paulie was more willing to experiment with a distinctly different product. His style of promoting was distinctly different from what the big two were doing at the time and he garnered an audience because of that (which even Bischoff, who hates Paulie, admits was smart). With TNA seemingly committed to copying WWE, I don't see that happening.

Speaking of which, TNA management are apparently "supremely confident" (their words) that they will soon sign Jim Ross, Paulie Heyman and Tommy Dreamer. Tommy is entirely possible, especially if TNA offers him a spot on the booking squad and he's got some decent ideas so they could do a lot worse. JR is extremely unlikely and I doubt TNA could afford his fee anyway. Paulie is a possible, especially if Tommy signs but given that A) he and Bisch loathe each other and B) he doesn't seem to have any desire to get back into wrestling, I doubt it.

Of course, the real coup there, and the one which would do TNA no end of good, is Paulie. Even with some limits imposed on him (i.e. no New Jack), he's still the most creative mind in wrestling and still the master of showing workers in a flattering light. Given that TNA's main problem is their booking and given the talent he'd have available to work with, Dixie should be doing everything possible to sign him.

I'm also really looking forward to the inevitible RVD/Styles rematch. Give them 15-20 minutes and those two could easily turn out one hell of a match.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 pm

Ebon wrote:In fairness to Bisch, "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer was a hangover from the Jim Herd admin. The rest are on him though.
And let us not forget letting Russo put the belt on David Arquette which guaranteed the death of WCW which was on life support after the innumerable incarnations of the nWo. Speaking of Russo, why the hell is he still with TNA? Can't they find a real writer?

Ebon wrote:I can kinda see why they'd want to avoid it though, given the potential for wounded feelings or lost tempers.
Yet legit heat is the best heat there is.

Ebon wrote:True but Paulie was more willing to experiment with a distinctly different product. His style of promoting was distinctly different from what the big two were doing at the time and he garnered an audience because of that (which even Bischoff, who hates Paulie, admits was smart). With TNA seemingly committed to copying WWE, I don't see that happening.

Speaking of which, TNA management are apparently "supremely confident" (their words) that they will soon sign Jim Ross, Paulie Heyman and Tommy Dreamer. Tommy is entirely possible, especially if TNA offers him a spot on the booking squad and he's got some decent ideas so they could do a lot worse. JR is extremely unlikely and I doubt TNA could afford his fee anyway. Paulie is a possible, especially if Tommy signs but given that A) he and Bisch loathe each other and B) he doesn't seem to have any desire to get back into wrestling, I doubt it.

Of course, the real coup there, and the one which would do TNA no end of good, is Paulie. Even with some limits imposed on him (i.e. no New Jack), he's still the most creative mind in wrestling and still the master of showing workers in a flattering light. Given that TNA's main problem is their booking and given the talent he'd have available to work with, Dixie should be doing everything possible to sign him.
Everyone knows that Dreamer is the ultimate company man. If he went to TNA other wrestlers would start to wonder what is so bad up north that Dreamer would walk away. I don't think they need Ross. From what I here he can be a real asshole behind the scenes. Paul E. would be a major coup. Give him the book and the writing job, and he will make the absolute best out of the entire roster. If it takes firing Bischoff, Dixie should still do it. Even when ECW workers weren't getting their paychecks because Paul E. was broke, they still loved him. He could do more with a bunch of mid-carders than the majors could do with main eventers.

Ebon wrote:I'm also really looking forward to the inevitible RVD/Styles rematch. Give them 15-20 minutes and those two could easily turn out one hell of a match.
Hell, give 'em 60 minutes. I remember the awesome hour-long Flair/Steamboat and Flair/Sting matches from the early days of WCW. Some of TNA's talent could go for 60 and make matches that would be remembered for decades.

BTW, I saw the movie The Wrestler a couple of nights ago. It was an excellent movie, and Mickey Rourke was exceptional in it. It seemed to me that some of that movie was loosely based on Jake Robert's life. The question is, did Randy die at the end after delivering the final Ram Jam? The again, was Tony Soprano whacked when the screen went to black? I guess we'll never know.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:09 am

TPaine wrote: Speaking of Russo, why the hell is he still with TNA? Can't they find a real writer?

Your guess is as good as mine. I can only assume he has a cast-iron contract which demands they pay him despite not using any of his ideas.

Paul E. would be a major coup. Give him the book and the writing job, and he will make the absolute best out of the entire roster. If it takes firing Bischoff, Dixie should still do it. Even when ECW workers weren't getting their paychecks because Paul E. was broke, they still loved him. He could do more with a bunch of mid-carders than the majors could do with main eventers.

Couldn't agree more. Paulie managed to make ECW a credible threat to the big two despite zero budget and a roster of mid-carders (to begin with, anyway). Can you imagine what he could do with TNA's decent budget and strong roster?

Hell, give 'em 60 minutes. I remember the awesome hour-long Flair/Steamboat and Flair/Sting matches from the early days of WCW. Some of TNA's talent could go for 60 and make matches that would be remembered for decades.

The art of doing the 60-minute broadway seems to have been lost these days.

BTW, I saw the movie The Wrestler a couple of nights ago. It was an excellent movie, and Mickey Rourke was exceptional in it. It seemed to me that some of that movie was loosely based on Jake Robert's life. The question is, did Randy die at the end after delivering the final Ram Jam? The again, was Tony Soprano whacked when the screen went to black? I guess we'll never know.

When the scene was filmed (at an ROH show), Randy hit his finish and made the pin but never got up again. In editing, it was cut down to what you see because emotionally, that was the high point, that was Randy The Ram's emotional conclusion. High on the ropes, winning the match, about to put away his villainous rival, nothing would ever equal that moment so Randy dived off the ropes and into legend, anything after that would be an anticlimax.

Speaking of anticlimactic, WWE released 7 workers today with possibly more to come. Those released are:
- Mike Knox (no great loss)
- Mickie James (as a decent worker, she always has the option of TNA or the Japanese leagues. She also has a blossaming country music career. She'll be fine).
- Katie Lea Burchill (again, decent worker who'd fit n well in TNA or Japan).
- Kung Fu Naki (great worker, awful gimmick)
- Jimmy Wang Yang (ditto)
- Slam Master J (needs another couple of years on the indie scene)
- Shelton Benjamin ("Mr Benjamin, TNA on line 1". Given his talent and explosive style, expect him to be in TNA the second his no-compete expires).
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:18 pm

Ebon wrote:Couldn't agree more. Paulie managed to make ECW a credible threat to the big two despite zero budget and a roster of mid-carders (to begin with, anyway). Can you imagine what he could do with TNA's decent budget and strong roster?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe put Vince out of business? How much would he be worth to TNA? If he would agree to sign if Bischoff got fired and Dixie would kiss his ass (or anything else in that general area) on national TV, she should do it.

Ebon wrote:The art of doing the 60-minute broadway seems to have been lost these days.
Possibly because there are never very many workers who could go that long. The cardio conditioning isn't there any more, but I think AJ could do it, Joe could do it, RVD might be able to depending on how much happy weed he's smoked recently, other possibilities could be the Guns or Generation Me.

Ebon wrote:Speaking of anticlimactic, WWE released 7 workers today with possibly more to come. Those released are:
- Mike Knox (no great loss)
Agreed
Ebon wrote:- Mickie James (as a decent worker, she always has the option of TNA or the Japanese leagues. She also has a blossaming country music career. She'll be fine).
She would help a suddenly weak Knockouts group
Ebon wrote:- Katie Lea Burchill (again, decent worker who'd fit n well in TNA or Japan).
ditto. Never given a real chance up North.
Ebon wrote:- Kung Fu Naki (great worker, awful gimmick)
They could be an X-Division tag team to chalange the Guns and Generation Me. A great fit!
Ebon wrote:- Slam Master J (needs another couple of years on the indie scene)
He's Terry Gordy's son. I'd root for him just for that reason. He could develop into another X-Division worker
Ebon wrote:- Shelton Benjamin ("Mr Benjamin, TNA on line 1". Given his talent and explosive style, expect him to be in TNA the second his no-compete expires).
If he doesn't follow his friend Brock Lesner into MMA I think he's a given for TNA.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:23 am

TPaine wrote: Possibly because there are never very many workers who could go that long. The cardio conditioning isn't there any more, but I think AJ could do it, Joe could do it, RVD might be able to depending on how much happy weed he's smoked recently, other possibilities could be the Guns or Generation Me.

Joe has done it several times (including twice with CM Punk alone). RVD's matchs with Jerry Lynn used to habitually go 40 minutes or more. Granted, that was a decade ago but he doesn't seem to be noticeably less fit now. AJ had several 60-minute matchs with Chris Daniels only a couple of years ago, Angle did it not that long ago too (although given his deteriorating health, he might struggle these days).

Ebon wrote:- Mickie James (as a decent worker, she always has the option of TNA or the Japanese leagues. She also has a blossaming country music career. She'll be fine).
She would help a suddenly weak Knockouts group

Given the insulting "Piggy James" storyline that WWE chose to do recently, I have a little vision that the Beautiful People try the same thing (totally in character for them) and she just flattens them.

Ebon wrote:- Kung Fu Naki (great worker, awful gimmick)
They could be an X-Division tag team to chalange the Guns and Generation Me. A great fit!

We really need that X-Division tag title

Shelton can write his own ticket. Assuming he doesn't give MMA a try (and he might), any wrestling promotion on earth would be happy to hire him. I can easily see him knocking up cracking matches with AJ Styles, either of the Guns, RVD, Frank Kazarian and Desmond Wolfe and we've already seen a Shelton/Angle match that blew everyone away.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Also out: Sho Funaki. Apparently, Matt Hardy and Carlito are both on thin ice as well. Since TNA is a little low on full-time tag teams right now, they could do a lot worse than a Hardy Boyz reunion if Matt gets released or bringing in Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas as a team.

Also: TNA is back up to a 1.0 in head-to-head competition. Could just be a weak week on WWE's part though.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Ebon wrote:Also out: Sho Funaki. Apparently, Matt Hardy and Carlito are both on thin ice as well. Since TNA is a little low on full-time tag teams right now, they could do a lot worse than a Hardy Boyz reunion if Matt gets released or bringing in Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas as a team.
I thought the TNA tag team roster was better than what the WWE has. Who does the WWE have that can compete with the Guns, Generation Me, Beer Money, and 3D? Also, it looks like Jesse Neal and Shannon Moore will be teaming. Add the Hardy Boyz and Funaki and Yang and the division would be awesome. I'd use Shelton as a main event star. He's one of the few that could carry a 60 minute match.

Ebon wrote:Also: TNA is back up to a 1.0 in head-to-head competition. Could just be a weak week on WWE's part though.
One problem I see with TNA on Monday nights is that they're live one week and tape the following week. Since so many spoilers are on the web, fans can decide in advance if the show will be worth watching.

I can't figure out the HOF ring angle. What HOF are they talking about? If it's the Professional Hall of Fame and Museum in Schenectady, NY it may have some value. If it's the WWE Hall of Fame it's a farce. The WWE has inducted such outstanding wrestlers as Arnold Skaaland, Barron Mikel Scicluna, Bob Uecker, Howard Finkel, Johnny Rodz, Pete Rose, and Willian "the Fridge" Perry but not Lou Thesz, Ed "Strangler" Lewis, Mildred Burke, Verne Gagne, Johnny Valentine, Bob Backlund, or Frank Gotch. Note to Hogan: Give Flair's ring to someone who could actually beat him in a contest. I think that would limit your choices to Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:32 pm

TPaine wrote: I thought the TNA tag team roster was better than what the WWE has.

It is but could still use a few more regular teams. The WWE doesn't really have a tag division anymore.

Who does the WWE have that can compete with the Guns, Generation Me, Beer Money, and 3D? Also, it looks like Jesse Neal and Shannon Moore will be teaming. Add the Hardy Boyz and Funaki and Yang and the division would be awesome. I'd use Shelton as a main event star. He's one of the few that could carry a 60 minute match.

RVD is now the champ and I'd be willing to wager that RVD and Shelton could have a kick-ass feud. Of course, that would probably require Shelton being a hell at least initially (since it's virtually impossible to make RVD a heel) but that's no bad thing. If booked correctly, you could do Shelton as the supremely arrogant heel who then goes out and proves how much better he is, kind of similar to Curt Hennig's "Mr. Perfect" character but less tongue-in-cheek.

One problem I see with TNA on Monday nights is that they're live one week and tape the following week. Since so many spoilers are on the web, fans can decide in advance if the show will be worth watching.

True but also encourages TNA to put on damn good shows every week (which they should be able to do with their roster).

I can't figure out the HOF ring angle. What HOF are they talking about? If it's the Professional Hall of Fame and Museum in Schenectady, NY it may have some value. If it's the WWE Hall of Fame it's a farce. The WWE has inducted such outstanding wrestlers as Arnold Skaaland, Barron Mikel Scicluna, Bob Uecker, Howard Finkel, Johnny Rodz, Pete Rose, and Willian "the Fridge" Perry but not Lou Thesz, Ed "Strangler" Lewis, Mildred Burke, Verne Gagne, Johnny Valentine, Bob Backlund, or Frank Gotch. Note to Hogan: Give Flair's ring to someone who could actually beat him in a contest. I think that would limit your choices to Kurt Angle and Samoa Joe.

It's referring to the WWE HoF and yeah, it's pretty much a joke. Vince's HoF was only started initially as a way to memorialise Andre the Giant (which is not to say that Andre doesn't deserve to be in any wrestling HoF) and entry has long been dictated by Vince's personal feelings rather than any actual merit. The fact that Vince wanted to induct The Anabolic Warrior pretty much says it all.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 am

WWE draft update:
To RAW
Edge
Chris Jericho
John Morrison
Hart Dynasty (all three)
R-Truth
Ezekial Jackson
Goldust
Great Khali (with Singh)
JTG

Thoughts: The move of Edge and Jericho pretty much kills Smackdown's current title picture. Morrison is on the way up; he has the skills, he just needs to lose that outdated gimmick and turn heel. The Hart Dynasty are another group on their way up, moving them to RAW to back up Uncle Bret makes perfect sense. R-Truth is a waste under his current gimmick; Ron Killings could be a worthwhile mid-carder but the gimmick is killing him. Jackson is version 2.0 of Matt Morgan: Great body but little else. Goldust is an opening match comedy act and as long as the bookers remember that, he's fine. Khali was a waste on Smackdown and will be a waste on RAW. Ditto JTG.

To Smackdown
Big Show
Kofi Kingston
Christian
MVP
Cody Rhodes
Chavo Guerrero
Chris Masters
Hornswoggle
Kelly Kelly
Rosa Mendes

Thoughts: Show can be useful if used in a limited way, his teams with Jericho and Miz have been fun to watch. Kingston has a ton of potential if he could only catch an even break. Christian has the talent to main event if Vince didn't hate him. Despite showing some promise, MVP seems to have stalled due to being ignored by the booking monkeys and an ill-advised face turn. Cody Rhodes has promise but needs a few years seasoning in the mid-card. Chavo is, sadly, never going to reach the heights he did in conjuction with his late uncle. Chris Masters is the epitome of style over substance; he has a great physique but he's the black hole of talent. I don't know why Hornswoggle is still employed; I'm sure he's a nice guy backstage but hardly an important part of the product. Kelly and Mendes have shown me precisely nothing so far and I don't expect that to change.

On the whole, pretty lop-sided in favour of RAW. Smackdown's big picks are Kingston and Christian, both of whom could easily top-line given the opportunity.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Just a couple of notes.
The Triple H injury is a work. He has landed the staring role in two WWE films Killing Karma and Chaperone. I wonder how that happened?
Also Sting speaks out on why he never joined the WWE, Link
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:53 am

Gee, I wonder... The Sting vid is mildly interesting but pretty much what I expected: He didn't want to go through re-establishing himself and didn't trust Vince not to bury him (rightly so).
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top