Pagan Lifestyle

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Pagan Lifestyle

Post by john5180 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:10 pm

john5180 wrote:Dot... this old fart figures that the highest form of paying respect to someone who has passed over, or a young couple getting married and starting a new page in their lives, (or any other social event held without a rod/reel, or deer stand) is to care enough for a shower, and more than casual attire.

DotNotInOz wrote:[Hoo, boyee! I'm getting some really disturbing images of John out deer hunting in his best suit, tie, long-sleeved white dress shirt and his daddy's cufflinks. affraid

Bow LMAO! Actually, I leave the cuff links at home... Don't want nothing too shiny to distract the deer.

DotNotInOz wrote:I think it says something that schools are finding that students behave better and get better grades overall when the school requires them to wear uniforms or has a strict dress code that is rigorously enforced.

Back in the day.... (Getting back to the old fart thing) My middle school principle required slacks and button casual shirts. Every Wednesday was dress up day. The young ladies wore dresses, the gents something with a tie.... No jeans allowed or tees allowed. The discipline problems so prevalent in middle schools when testosterone is boiling was pretty much non existent on those Wednesdays. And because of the dress code this principle enforced, the deportment even on the other four days was less than the average. I went to middle school in the early 60's. In fact I was in the 7th grade when JFK was shot. Hair cuts then for us boys was similar to the haircut style of the military, and if we were so disposed with facial hair, we were expected to be clean shaved. That in itself says a lot.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:12 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Every year @ church we do the Gospel According to Nordstrom.

While at first it seems like appearance, it's about how you make other people feel.

The Gospel According to Nordstrom

“The congregation sat hushed, unusually attentive even for a church in which they were accustomed to hearing powerful preaching. There had been speculation all week due to the sign in front of the imposing structure that proclaimed a sermon on the unlikely theme of “The Gospel According to Nordstrom.” Although members of this prosperous flock were no strangers to the Nordstrom in their neighborhood, they couldn’t imagine what this mecca of merchandising had to do with Gospel principles.

“The homilist, Reverend Carolyn Crawford, skillfully evoked the luxurious and bustling atmosphere of a Nordstrom store during the holidays. She recounted the sights of abundant decorations; the sounds of holiday music expertly performed by an elegant tuxedoed piano player; the aromas of potpourri and expensive perfume; the crowds of shoppers laden with parcels. This shared reverie was jarred, however, when Reverend Crawford introduced an improbable character to the scene; a bag lady clad in torn filthy clothes.

“Convinced that this visitor’s presence would be as unwelcome as it was incongruous, Reverend Crawford followed the bag lady through the store with the intent of intervening with security and softening the blow to the woman’s dignity when she was asked to leave. The Reverend’s original interest in this visitor, who presented such a stark contrast to the gracious abundance of the store, changed to incredulity. No one attempted to stop the bag lady as she entered the elegant and pricey Special Occasions Department. Instead, she was greeted warmly by a smartly attired saleswoman.

“Reverend Crawford, eavesdropping from the adjoining fitting room, was astonished at the salesperson’s solicitous responses to the customer. When the customer asked to try on evening dresses, the salesperson brought in gown after gown for the customer’s discriminating inspection. With infinite patience, the salesperson evaluated which were the most flattering and appropriate. When the bag lady left the fitting room, her head was held high and there was a light in her eye. She had been treated like a valuable human being.

“When questioned about her actions by Reverend Crawford, the Nordstrom saleswoman replied, ‘This is what we are here for: to serve and to be kind.’ Reverend Crawford was moved by this act of dignity exhibited in, of all places a department store. In addressing her congregation, she asked, ‘Could we say the same thing about ourselves as church goers? That we’re here to serve and to be kind?’

“The sermon’s message spread far beyond the walls of the church that Sunday morning. The congregation carried the story to friends and associates. The New York Times highlighted the incident and that it had been memorialized in a church reputed for the quality of its preaching. Demand for the sermon was so great that the church eventually sold audiotape copies. Employees in Southern California Nordstrom stores were both humbled and challenged as they listened to the tape. Everyone agreed that the incident represented Nordstrom at its best. This story related in the sermon raised not only customer expectations but also store personnel’s self-expectations. in a culture that asked employees to give their best to customers under all circumstances, the definition of best had just been raised.”

Great story.... Reminds me of angels in disguise....
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:50 pm

I guess conditioning has a lot to do with it; being younger I grew up in a look-however-you-want generation (be an individual, stand out!) so if I were to try and be a part of a military or similar institution where they demanded short hair on men or snappy dress I would feel like I fell through the rabbit hole and start screaming 'fascism!'

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I guess conditioning has a lot to do with it; being younger I grew up in a look-however-you-want generation (be an individual, stand out!) so if I were to try and be a part of a military or similar institution where they demanded short hair on men or snappy dress I would feel like I fell through the rabbit hole and start screaming 'fascism!'

Well, never having the opportunity to "be an individual" or "stand out" I can't comment one way or the other. I will say this, however; I retire in June, 2011. At that time, I fully intend to individually stand out and see how it feels. I'm letting what hair I have remaining go, and tossing my shaving razor.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Tynkerbelle on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:26 am

I think I agree a lot with Willowcreek I think my religion and lifestyle are very parallel. I am very nature based so things I do revolve around respecting nature, like picking trash up as I walk around outside whether its my home or a parking lot. I eat all natural not only for health reasons but because personally I find it disrespectful to mother earth to eat processed, chemically loaded food. I prefer free range food opposed to those from an unnatural slaughter house. I love to grow my own veggies and fruit because I like to watch nature grow and I love organically grown produce. I try not to wish bad things on people cause I believe in karma but also because I feel its wrong. I am an advocate for many organizations that fight for people, animals and nature because I feel that we are all apart of one and in fighting for them I am fighting for myself. I try to leave as little of a carbon footprint as possible because I respect nature and I feel its the right thing to do. I know a lot of these things are generic as far as religion goes but I feel that it walks hand in hand with my pagan beliefs.
Tynkerbelle

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Since I am alone much of the time, I don't think I can stand out Razz. How ever my practise is nature base, entirely. I am a vegetarian as well.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:05 pm

I'm a first level vegetarian.

I only eat animals that only eat plants....

Wink
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:13 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I'm a first level vegetarian.

Wink
Then you wouldn't enjoy alligator AT ALL!!!!! LMAO!

Although I have nothing against those who for whatever the reason for keeps a vegetarian lifestyle, I do not share that belief. One thing I do not do is kill simply for the pleasure of killing a wild dumb beast. I eat what I kill, and rest assured, that the animal is respected for the sacrifice, and given due reverence.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 am

john5180 wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I'm a first level vegetarian.

Wink
Then you wouldn't enjoy alligator AT ALL!!!!! LMAO!

Although I have nothing against those who for whatever the reason for keeps a vegetarian lifestyle, I do not share that belief. One thing I do not do is kill simply for the pleasure of killing a wild dumb beast. I eat what I kill, and rest assured, that the animal is respected for the sacrifice, and given due reverence.
Shocked Laughing

Luckily I'm in Nebraska, so it doesn't come up very often. We don't have a lot of alligators running around here....

I too have nothing against vegetarians. It's, "evangelical vegans" I have a problem with.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:07 pm

"evangelical vegans" yes they scare me too. radicals of any stripe scare.

And you people are naughty,

"I'm a first level vegetarian.

I only eat animals that only eat plants...." Naughty naught.....

"Alligator" Yikes really naughty people around here NoNo

Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:16 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:"evangelical vegans" yes they scare me too. radicals of any stripe scare.

And you people are naughty,

"I'm a first level vegetarian.

I only eat animals that only eat plants...." Naughty naught.....

"Alligator" Yikes really naughty people around here NoNo

Smile

Twisted Evil
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Evil Grin
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 pm

All motile life feeds on death, as does much of the sessile life. I am an omnivore, making efficient use of the energy sources around me. I kill what I eat when I can, but honestly buy it much of the time. I give thanks for what I take, take no more than I must, but take great pleasure in the consumption of juicy, crunchy, tasty life forms, be they standing plant or running animal.

Those animals that have taken a crack at me seem to function along the same lines, just not as effectively.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I got attacked by a cow once.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Really? We had an attack duck when I was young.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Long Horns hate bright light at dark and will charge them to make them go away.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 pm

And you got between one and the light?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:59 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Long Horns hate bright light at dark and will charge them to make them go away.
What were you doing at UT-Austin? (Texas Longhorns)
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 pm

We were in the Ouichita Mountains in southern Oklahoma, near Meers. Dave, if you ever have occasion to be in Lawton, run over to Meers. It is a tiny town that was once a post office, but is now a fantastic burger joint. You heard me, the town is a burger joint. Anyway, we were camping and the hubby wanted to go for a walk. After dark. In a state park where people released long horns and bison to graze. You have to cross cattle guards just to get into the park. So we were walking, and he flashes his flashlight in the eyes of a long horn, who took exception. So we ran. And got lost. And there were long horns everywhere. Took us an hour to find our campsite again. And now I have cow fear.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:08 pm

I've only been to Lawton; once. The presiding Judge said he didn't want any Texas lawyers coming and taking cases from the locals.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Well, you should go get the finest burger Oklahoma has to offer. And fried green tomatoes. And fried okra. And fried peaches. Hell! You name it, they'll fry it up!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I got attacked by a cow once.
Humph..... Wink Poor cow probably just wanted you to milk her.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm

gillyflower wrote:Really? We had an attack duck when I was young.
Ducks and geese usually make good watch dogs. We had a goose that I swear hated kids... She'd attack any kid that went into the yard. LMAO!
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:55 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Well, you should go get the finest burger Oklahoma has to offer. And fried green tomatoes. And fried okra. And fried peaches. Hell! You name it, they'll fry it up!
How about long horn steaks? Suspect
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Actually, yes.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down