Dan Halloran

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dan Halloran

Post by WarriorPrincessDanu on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:47 pm

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/republicans-win-2-council-races-in-queens/?scp=4&sq=dan%20halloran&st=cse

Thoughts?

WarriorPrincessDanu

Back to top Go down

Re: Dan Halloran

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:23 pm

About what? That Halloran is identified as a neo-Pagan? That NYC politics are operating much as usual with mean-spirited attacks from both parties?

Personally, I don't see why any voter needs to care what a candidate's religion (or lack thereof) may be. Do you give a damn whether or not your mail carrier or dentist goes to church? Hell, no. You care whether or not s/he does the job well.

Politics ought to be the same, IMO.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincessDanu on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:40 pm

What immediately stuck me about this situation was that, so far as I can tell, the voters did look past the religion of the candidates and focused on the issues. Had I lived there, I probably would have voted for Halloran, not because he's Pagan, but because he had lived in the community his whole life and had a vested interest in it, and would therefore be most likely to support issues I would support. What I see here is the truimph of voting based on issues and the ability of the candidate to do their job. Had a similar scenario happened where I live (Texas) Halloran likely would not have won because of the knee-jerk reaction that many people down here have to Paganism.

WarriorPrincessDanu

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 pm

WarriorPrincessDanu wrote:Had a similar scenario happened where I live (Texas) Halloran likely would not have won because of the knee-jerk reaction that many people down here have to Paganism.

True enough.

New Yorkers on the whole are remarkably indifferent to what people's race or religion may be. Probably largely due to the fact that there are so many different races and religions there that a different one from your own is not nearly such a big deal as it is in Texas or Kansas where I grew up. I didn't even meet a Jew until I was an adult. If there were any in the college I attended, I never met them or heard of them either one.

My husband's Jewish and grew up in Brooklyn. I asked him once if he felt he'd ever been discriminated against for his religion. He said sure he had when his parents would find out he was seeing someone who wasn't Jewish. affraid
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 pm

I was pleased the whole situation turned out the way it did. Don't get me wrong; I disagree with just about everything on Halloran's platform, but honestly, if that had been in my area, I wouldn't be able to vote for one or the other. I don't agree with Halloran's politics, but worse still, I don't believe in Kim's tactics.
I believe that Kim got exactly what he deserved for taking such a cheap shot, and I was glad to see that here, the issues seemed more important than someone getting yanked out of the broom closets.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 pm

It would be interesting to know if Hallorans religion was a boon, bane or banal, too bad there are no exit polls on the issue.

We'll have to speculate on that one. Still, a Pagan has been elected into a public office, this means something.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:23 pm

Incidentally, I came across this article / news clip

Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincessDanu on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 am

I have also heard reports (although I'm not sure if they're true or not) that he is the first openly Pagan candidate to win an election in America.

WarriorPrincessDanu

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:47 am

I really don't care about a candidates religion, as long as he/she does what is best for the people in his/her district. I see from Gorm's article, the MEDIA, is hot on the religion topic, dumbasses. Ya know the MEDIA is to blame for a lot of crap that they stir up. Just print or show the facts, nothing more nothing less. I don't care about commentaries, or editorials, I have my own mind, thank you very much.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 am

Can anyone tell me the difference between Theodism and Asaratu?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 am

Theodism, aside from its desire to reconstruct the religious practices of the Germanic/ Anglo-Saxon cultures, also bases their organizational structure on a more hierarchical one than do Asatruar's, and may also focus on learning specific languages as well. Accordingly some Theodish practitioners do not consider themselves (or their religion) a variant of Asatru, but a separate religion altogether.

Gorm_Sionnach

Back to top Go down

Post by WarriorPrincessDanu on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:18 am

As I understand it, Theodism also tends to focus more on the southern Germanic cultures that were settled on the main continent of Europe, rather than cultures from Iceland or the Scandanavian peninsula.

WarriorPrincessDanu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:36 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:I really don't care about a candidates religion, as long as he/she does what is best for the people in his/her district. I see from Gorm's article, the MEDIA, is hot on the religion topic, dumbasses. Ya know the MEDIA is to blame for a lot of crap that they stir up. Just print or show the facts, nothing more nothing less. I don't care about commentaries, or editorials, I have my own mind, thank you very much.
If the media never mentioned religion at all. it would all quiet down, even for fanatics, who might end up thinking they won, but of course would not really know.
The media stirs a lot of crap up that has no importance what so ever.

Now it is more like all the news that's not fit to print.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm

So many newspapers and tv and radio stations have been bought up by huge corporations that I have to wonder if we have anything much passing for in-depth inquiry by journalists anymore.

I think it's likely that only small independent magazines such as The Progressive are at liberty to get anywhere close to the truth.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum