Lakshmis elephant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lakshmis elephant

Post by maya3 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:54 pm

I went to the Ashram yesterday and bought a new and beatuful Murti of Lakshmi, she has a tiny little elephant by her foot sitting similarly to Ganesha´s rat.
Do you know what this signifies, is it actully supposed to be Ganesha by her foot?
In any case she is beautiful, large in white wood and lots of very well done details. She looks lifelike.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Re: Lakshmis elephant

Post by Metis on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 pm

maya3 wrote:I went to the Ashram yesterday and bought a new and beatuful Murti of Lakshmi, she has a tiny little elephant by her foot sitting similarly to Ganesha´s rat.
Maya

Gee, I had a dream like that but I think it was right after I drank too much.
Metis

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Wow, you dreamt of Ganesha and Lakshmi, that is very auspicuous drunk or not

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 am

hee hee

I suspect Metis is referring more to having dreamt of elephants, likely lots of pink ones, rather than of anything so symbolic as Lakshmi or Ganesh.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 am

Hug2 Oh, poor maya! Gettin picked on so early this AM? Dot? I did not think of the Pink Elephant reference either. Evidentally I need more than 1 cup of coffee?
I hear that elephants & statues of elephants bring prosperity, maya. Not to diss your religion. But I have always enjoyed looking, visiting, & learning about this giant creature. The family ties, the inner heart & the mourning of the souls upon passing.
I had a gorgeous elephant statue complete w stand. Adorned with jewels at the top of the head. When we moved this time, I had forgot her. On return to old house the new tennant had thrown it away, it was broke into a million pieces! Blow Up
My problem is: I carry around this anger toward that person & the act delivered upon the statue. I think about the elephant quite often. I don't know how to let this anger go. Yes the elephant statue is materialistic, & I didn't treat it as a charm, nor was I prideful that I owned an elephant statue. It was beautiful in my eyes, & I enjoyed it.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am

Oh, that's awful, Willow!

I understand that feeling. I have several beautiful things that belonged to loved ones now long gone. I'd be crushed for some time if any of those things were to be left behind accidentally.

I'm a triple-Scorp, so I tend to get far too attached to things that represent home for me, including beautiful decorative objects. I can certainly understand your anger at the destruction of your much-loved elephant statue.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Metis on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm

maya3 wrote:Wow, you dreamt of Ganesha and Lakshmi, that is very auspicuous drunk or not

Maya

Maya, I hope you didn't take offense to what I wrote because I was only joking-- or at least trying to. However, it was much later I realized that one might interpret what I was doing was making fun at the expense of Hinduism-- I wasn't.

I apologize for not putting two and two together quicker.
Metis

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Metis wrote:
maya3 wrote:Wow, you dreamt of Ganesha and Lakshmi, that is very auspicuous drunk or not

Maya

Maya, I hope you didn't take offense to what I wrote because I was only joking-- or at least trying to. However, it was much later I realized that one might interpret what I was doing was making fun at the expense of Hinduism-- I wasn't.

I just thought you were being a smartass. Nothing wrong with smartasses.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Metis wrote:

Maya

Oh no, not at all.
I figured you were joking, but really if you really dreamt of Ganesha or Lakshmi that would be very auscipous!

But no offense taken. Thanks for asking though.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Hug2 Oh, poor maya! Gettin picked on so early this AM? Dot? I did not think of the Pink Elephant reference either. Evidentally I need more than 1 cup of coffee?
I hear that elephants & statues of elephants bring prosperity, maya. Not to diss your religion. But I have always enjoyed looking, visiting, & learning about this giant creature. The family ties, the inner heart & the mourning of the souls upon passing.
I had a gorgeous elephant statue complete w stand. Adorned with jewels at the top of the head. When we moved this time, I had forgot her. On return to old house the new tennant had thrown it away, it was broke into a million pieces! Blow Up
My problem is: I carry around this anger toward that person & the act delivered upon the statue. I think about the elephant quite often. I don't know how to let this anger go. Yes the elephant statue is materialistic, & I didn't treat it as a charm, nor was I prideful that I owned an elephant statue. It was beautiful in my eyes, & I enjoyed it.

I love elephants too. I'm not sure how you thought I might think you were dissing my religion?
I'm sure you havent.

So sorry that you lost your elephant.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

I know very little of Hindu, I must apologize. Is the elephant a symbol of prosperity? If so, why? Duh, I should read up about this. Very Happy
Some westerners view it as a "good luck"symbol.
I view the elephant as a creature of great heartfelt emotion.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 am

Willow,
No need to apologize.
The elephant, actually not elephants in general, but the deity Ganesh who is Shiva's and Parvatis son with an elephannt head. ( Shiva his sons head off by mistake and found an elephant head to replace it, it's all symbolic from our mythology)
He is the remover of obstacles and yes also bestower of luck.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Very Happy Thank you!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:55 pm

I collect elephants as well; but I think it has something to do with the letter R that you see beside my candidates names
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 am

Hysterical Dave, your so " throwed off"!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top