Eve's diary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Eve's diary

Post by Daldianus on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:10 am

Has anyone read Mark Twain's beautiful Eve's diary?

SATURDAY.—I am almost a whole day old, now. I arrived yesterday. That is as it seems to me. And it must be so, for if there was a day-before-yesterday I was not there when it happened, or I should remember it. It could be, of course, that it did happen, and that I was not noticing. Very well; I will be very watchful now, and if any day-before-yesterdays happen I will make a note of it. It will be best to start right and not let the record get confused, for some instinct tells me that these details are going to be important to the historian some day. For I feel like an experiment, I feel exactly like an experiment; it would be impossible for a person to feel more like an experiment than I do, and so I am coming to feel convinced that that is what I AM—an experiment; just an experiment, and nothing more.

You can read it online here (with illustrations) or download here as an e-book (for free, without illustrations though).

Mark Twain was such a genius.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Re: Eve's diary

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:43 pm

He was an excellent writer and a great wit.

He saw people use their religious beliefs for ill, and called people on it -- in a brilliant way.

But while some of his writings seem non-theistic, other writings talked about God. I suppose, great as he was, he was still only a simple human, who struggled to work out his salvation just like the rest of us.

I suppose I wonder what point your post has other than celebrating the wit of one of America's greatest writers. (my 8th grader just finished a report on Tom Sawyer, and is moving on to Huckleberry Finn... so the post does have amusing timing for me)

Peace.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:49 pm

Have u downloaded the story and read it?

I had no precise intent. just wanted to share Smile

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Yes I did - it's a very cool link

Look, here's you and me Celsus:

Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Aw, yes! Hehe. I actually didn't notice the money when I first looked at it!

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Actually, Twain was quite non-religious for nearly his entire life.

The story of Tom Sawyer's trading off colored tickets given in Sunday School for memorizing Bible verses until Tom had enough to collect the New Testament awarded for having memorized a substantial number of verses is somewhat autobiographical.

Twain became very much opposed to Christianity in particular after his beloved eldest daughter Suzy got interested in Christian Science and died in her early twenties of spinal meningitis (not that her interest in Christian Science had any connection with her manner of death since there was nothing much that could be done for that disease then.) His book Christian Science is a witty and scathing denunciation of that faith. Suzy's death was followed not many years later by the sudden death of his next older daughter Jean, an epileptic.

Add to those the death of Twain's beloved wife Livy, who was somewhat younger than he, and Twain spent his last years lamenting what he regarded as the pernicious influence of religion.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Yea, his life experiences to not speak well of Mary Baker Eddy's teachings.

http://www.classicreader.com/book/1286/2/

(His book "Christian Science")
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Mary Baker Eddy's own experience doesn't attest much to the effectiveness of her dogma. If I recall correctly, it was kidney failure that led to her using morphine regularly near the end of her life. Fervent Christian Scientists, like Mormons, ordinarily won't even drink beverages containing caffeine.

To be fair, however, it is true that a Christian Scientist is not forbidden to consult a medical doctor if s/he feels it necessary. One is expected, of course, to use prayer and a practitioner's aid first, but if all such usual healing methods seem ineffective, consulting a doctor is permissible.

I recall my ex-husband's surprise once when we were visiting his mother. She mentioned having recently gone to a doctor for the first time in her life at about age 65 when an infected wound wouldn't heal.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top