The Pope and Hinduism

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Pope and Hinduism

Post by maya3 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:54 am

I was excited and happy to read this.... at first, until I got to the last part where they had to add that Jesus is the only way.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Holy+see%27s+message+to+Hindus+on+feast+of+Diwali-a0111848993

This would have been a good opportunity for dialogue but by the last statement they ruined it in my opinion.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Re: The Pope and Hinduism

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you feel ruined it, but the last portion is simply the website's editor quoting Vatican II's restatement of the classic Catholic position (admittedly more than somewhat patronizing) that while there is truth and goodness to some extent in other faiths, only the Catholics have "The One True Church."

That wasn't part of the letter drafted by Archbishop Fitzgerald, dated 2003.

In other words, the editor is using the letter as an example of the regrettable tendency of Catholic clergy to come across as appreciative when what they mean at bottom is, "So nice of you to exercise some Christian virtues. Now, if only you'd sense enough to see that we have the whole truth and you don't."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

No I don´t think you misunderstood, that is exactly what I mean, only I didn´t realize that it was by an Archbishop and that it was the editor who added that stuff at the end.

You are also right about the patronizing part!

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:31 pm

That it would be written by an archbishop on the Pope's behalf is customary. Kind of like a press statement issued by the President's press secretary. The Pope doesn't bother writing that kind of PR stuff himself ordinarily...and that's all that such a letter is, just PR.

My mom converted to Catholicism when my parents married, and she had some very "un-Catholic" ideas still. One of those was that Catholics weren't being at all sincere saying such nice things to people of other faiths when what they really believed was that all those other people were going to hell for not being Catholics. She encouraged me to chalk it up as one of those "polite lies" people often feel obliged to tell when they know that saying what they really think would be nasty or cruel.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

"Jesus is the only way" is a basic tenant of Christianity; give on that and you have compromised a basic tenant of the faith. Dialog can only go so far.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Exactly, Dave.

It really would be too much to ask any orthodox Christian denomination to depart from the core belief that Jesus is all.

So, while I regard the tone of such letters as patronizing, I know from having heard or read that sort of thing numerous times that the intent is to recognize the good in other faiths and that the offer to work together despite doctrinal differences is quite sincere.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:24 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:That it would be written by an archbishop on the Pope's behalf is customary. Kind of like a press statement issued by the President's press secretary. The Pope doesn't bother writing that kind of PR stuff himself ordinarily...and that's all that such a letter is, just PR.

My mom converted to Catholicism when my parents married, and she had some very "un-Catholic" ideas still. One of those was that Catholics weren't being at all sincere saying such nice things to people of other faiths when what they really believed was that all those other people were going to hell for not being Catholics. She encouraged me to chalk it up as one of those "polite lies" people often feel obliged to tell when they know that saying what they really think would be nasty or cruel.

We are all guilty of that now and then, it´s hard to be really honest.

I just wish that if they are patronizing or add something at the end (even though in this case it was the editor) that indirectly criticizes my religion I rather they wouldn´t say anything.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Very Happy You go Maya3! My mom always taught me "If you have NOTHING nice to say, don't say ANYTHING at all." Laughing When my kids were in CCD about 5th grade they would bring the "List" home about all the "Protestant" religions with yrs, founders & reasons of why they broke away from the Catholic church. At the bottom of the page was written "We are the one true church." I would usually sign my name saying that the kids & I read it, & then dutifully scratch through the one true church sentence, to my childrens horror. affraid
Hysterical Then we would get into a throw down debate about the ONE TRUE CHURCH.

The last child that brought me this "List" home, I just tore it up.

Hippie I don't know but years ago, back in the day, or maybe our diocese didn't get the memo, but WE never learned such garbage.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 pm

Willow,

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:46 pm

When I was dating this guy back in my teens, his mother got all PO'd at me for explaining my protestant faith to his 10-11 year old little brother. I was shocked....the kid asked me about being baptised, and being raised Baptist, I explained how it was different from the Catholic baptism! Amazing!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:57 am

Beribee wrote:When I was dating this guy back in my teens, his mother got all PO'd at me for explaining my protestant faith to his 10-11 year old little brother. I was shocked....the kid asked me about being baptised, and being raised Baptist, I explained how it was different from the Catholic baptism! Amazing!

Oh, not at all amazing to someone raised Catholic back in the years before Vatican II (prior to the early 1960's).

A good many Catholics, particularly lifelong ones, regarded learning about other religions as an "occasion of sin," the fancy term for a situation that could tempt a person to wrongdoing. Just as you were supposed to avoid any circumstance that might lead you into temptation, such people believed you ought to refrain from trying to learn about other faiths, which could lead to your leaving the Catholic church.

That didn't mean you couldn't attend a wedding, funeral, festival or such at other churches. You could learn enough not to do something dumb and offensive while there, but that was all. Go to the event and nothing more...the less contact with "nons" the better.

Some of my dad's relatives (the Catholic side of the family, mom converted when they married) wouldn't go to anything Protestant other than the very rare wedding or funeral. They lived in a largely Catholic area and avoided associating with Protestants generally.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Very Happy Dot is so very right, gang!
I had it a little easier, for my mother was Catholic, my father Lutheran. My mother was my Grandmother's (2d eldest daughter)
But this is why when I talk about visiting the Greek Catholic Church after the statues left the Roman Catholic church...yes we did sneak in & none of the parents or teachers, nuns or priests knew of it, & we never spoke of it to them. Was it wrong? A sin? Sacrilegious? Disrespectful to either church? My Nana didn't seem to think so...I wonder if it could have anything to do that her 3d eldest daughter married a Greek Catholic?
Or did it boil down to that she didn't give a shit about the inter mingling of the religions? Hysterical
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Metis on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:29 pm

My father (Lutheran) told me he'd kick my ass, to use his rather colorful language, if I ever got caught in a Catholic church, and he meant it. So, I married a Catholic and we've been attending mass together now for over 42 years. He changed over time, and when I eventually converted to Judaism a bit over a dozen years ago, he was quite accepting and actually came to and enjoyed the services. If that old Army guy could change, there's hope for everyone!
Metis

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:10 am

Metis,

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down