Letterman blackmailed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Letterman blackmailed

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 pm

I gotta admit I'm really tired of celebrities being forced since the Imus thing to go on the air and apologize for or attempt to explain past behavior come back to haunt them.

I have mixed feelings about the paranoia anymore which immediately assumes all employee-boss relationships constitute sexual harrassment. While I certainly understand that the dynamics with someone like Letterman are fraught with danger for the employee, when did we get the idea that the employee is necessarily a victim in these instances??? I can envision women on the staff of a tv show figuring that boinking the star was a helluva perk. (Not a particularly smart thing to do but possibly regarded by them as "trophy sex.")

While I certainly agree that it would be refreshing if talk show hosts and other show business people who've risen to celebrity status would use better judgment than to initiate sexual relationships with their underlings, I still have to wonder if a good many such aren't stretching the definition of sexual harrassment.

Your thoughts?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Letterman blackmailed

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:49 pm

It's only consentual until they realize there can be money/fame to be made...

I'm sick of it too, and I'm sick of 'the public' (or the media) making men out to be the 'bad guys' and women out to be 'victims'. In my experience, drunk frat boys aside, women are far more manipulative than men in and out of bed and there's a reason I gave them up.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:11 pm

Dot I agree, now perhaps Letterman could have used more discretion, but honestly. I really do not see anything wrong here, if it happened before he got married, and it is none of my business, anyway if it happened after. That is between him and his wife.

Unless there is proof in this case of any harassment. I don't care what Letterman does, just as long as I do not have to watch.

I think men and women are equal on the bad behaviour scale. I do not think women are worse, but neither are men.
Bad people are bad people regardless of what sex they are. IMO

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:40 pm

Why does the media think it's my business what Letterman does in his private time?? I think it's awesome that they got the guy trying to blackmail him though!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:02 am

Evil or Very Mad The celebrity scene & the "stars" that the public make into Icons, is such a waste of my time. Really, its gotten to the point with me, that when I click on the tube, its old movies or its PBS!
John & I find ourselves looking up on the internet, old character actors, or people of interest to see whose still living, damn, they're THAT old? OR wow, didn't know they passed back in 2004! I didn't know that!
(This must be a sign of aging?) Suspect
As far as Letterman, I really never watched him, cause I really didn't like him! There's a lot of crazies out there, & some of them have hit the silver screen & the boob tube also!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:30 pm

I still miss Johnny Carson

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Yeah, me too, MC. Carson was terrific. He could have me cracking up with one roll of his eyes or lift of an eyebrow.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:39 pm

I don't give a shit if Letterman boinked some of the women on his staff. That's between him, them and his girlfriend (wife? Didn't they marry a while back?). If there was an amount of sexual harassment/expolitation, that's different but not all boss/employee relationships do (in fact, I'd wager that the majority don't).

And yes, I'd imagine a fair few staffers try and shag the boss. Either because they're attracted to them or because they feel it would help their position. That happens in every business (fairly reliable gossip in the wrestling industry has it that one Eighties world champion only got the title due to his relationship with the booker) and it happens all the time.

It's just sex. So long as everyone knows the situation going in and everyone's pfront about their motives, who cares?
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:45 pm

I love how everyone is focusing on Letterman having sex, which is legal and consensual. No one seems to be focusing on the dirty little blackmailer.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:20 pm

As I understand it, the blackmailer has been arrested and will be going to jail. Which is as it should be.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I hope they throw away the key with the blackmailer. scum that's all he is.

I did not focus on Letterman and his sex life, but on his honesty. He admitted it all, I may not like him, but I did appreciate that. For one, Because IMO it will make the story go away faster.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:20 pm

President Clinton almost got impeached for denying sexual relations with an aide. His reputation and legacy remains tainted with the public focus on the denial.

Prime Minister Trudeau got caught coming out of Barbra Streisand's hotel room in the wee hours of the morning. When asked if he was having an affair with her, both she and he simply replied "Yes". The story died, he is remembered for his work on the Constitution, for the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and his bedroom antics inspire only the occasional smile remembering when we were lead by men who could raise a pole, not simply pander to them.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:43 pm

John T Mainer wrote:President Clinton almost got impeached for denying sexual relations with an aide. His reputation and legacy remains tainted with the public focus on the denial.

Well, yes, and that both were so tainted was due primarily to a bunch of rightwingers who sought to make a huge issue of it all when the majority of the country was beyond satisfied with how he was performing as president.

But for the sanctimonious among us, I think most Americans would rather never have heard about Lewinsky. It's not as if the president's job involves his being some kind of moral paragon...unlike the various ministers and priests who've notably failed to live up to the moral standards they preach so fervently.

There's much to be said, IMO, for the days when the press in this country quietly agreed not to report presidential affairs since Americans are prone to get so scandalized about things that are really none of our business as long as the president does the job acceptably.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:37 pm

John T Mainer wrote:President Clinton almost got impeached for denying sexual relations with an aide. His reputation and legacy remains tainted with the public focus on the denial.

Prime Minister Trudeau got caught coming out of Barbra Streisand's hotel room in the wee hours of the morning. When asked if he was having an affair with her, both she and he simply replied "Yes". The story died, he is remembered for his work on the Constitution, for the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and his bedroom antics inspire only the occasional smile remembering when we were lead by men who could raise a pole, not simply pander to them.
That is exactly it, if there is something, it is not worth denying it. Own up to it and it will fade away much faster. At least if it is not illegal.

edit to add: if Pres. Clinton had not denied it, we might not have had to hear the details, and I really did NOT want the details

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum