Post by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:00 pm

Who gardens and what do you grow?

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you grow?

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Pot!

Kidding...

I planted a veggie garden at work this year (since our hotel theme is 'going green') and let our customers munch the food. It was fun. We had tomatoes, purple and yellow wax beans, and all kinds of sweet and hot peppers.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:59 pm

KITTY GRASS
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Potatoes, onions, tomatoes, strawberries, black berries, and rhubarb.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 pm

RHUBARB YUMMMM
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:36 pm

We moved into an apartment a year ago this month, so I've felt the absence of flowerbeds, a yard and the sizable compost pile I used to have.

My trashcan compost system is doing fairly well, but it is much more difficult to balance, partially since I was accustomed to a somewhat drier climate. Now, I'm having to add a lot of dry material whereas formerly I had to water my compost every so often. But I've a 30-gallon trashcan about 2/3 full of not-so-bad compost that should do good things next season. All our raw produce scraps and an occasional eggshell go into one of two small lidded plastic containers, stacked one atop the other. When the top one is full, it goes to the bottom, and the bottom one gets dumped into the big trashcan to finish breaking down. That one then becomes the top can which catches the veggie and fruit scraps.

I have a lot of flowering plants in containers and a dozen strawberry plants that have done fairly well. So, the container garden inventory includes:

Across from our front door--

--The aforementioned strawberry plants, half in a strawberry jar and the rest in a two-tiered clay pot setup. Didn't produce very much, though. Don't think I'll mess with them next year.
--Mandevilla, aka Brazilian jasmine, gorgeous bright red trumpet-shaped flowers and dark green leaves threatening to take over a 6' high trellis by now
--Some foliage plant...(forget what it's called) that has deep green leaves with red veins in the planter with the mandevilla. The red veins complement the mandevilla flowers really nicely, and that was just pure luck. I was wandering around a garden center and happened to spot the stuff. It's thriving and fills the rest of the planter really attractively.
--Common geraniums, ranging from a very pale pink with coral centers to baby pink to rose pink
--A cheapo wicker basket full of lavender. I scrounge thrift and craft stores for inexpensive baskets and use those for planters sometimes.

On our back patio--
--English ivy which has filled out a wrought-iron topiary cone nicely and will provide some greenery through the winter (which you do not want to grow anywhere but in a pot! That stuff will take over otherwise, and it can kill a tree if it gets going on one.)
--Fan flower, a really pretty lavender flower that does look like an open fan
--Columbine which I started from seed, so it won't bloom until next spring
--Lamium, basically grown for its appealing mint green heart-shaped leaves. It did have some spindly mauve blooms but they don't look like much.
--Three pots of standard yellow and purple pansies that I grew from seed, sometimes called "Johnny jump-ups."
--A beat-up wicker basket that had deep purple violas ringing some fuchsia vinca. I should have replaced the violas in early summer. They didn't do well when it got hot.
--Rose-red double impatiens in a pretty filigreed gray planter. Their dark green leaves and ruffled blooms look somewhat like miniature roses.
--Then, a long rectangular wood planter with 3 varieties of parsley, chives rosemary, thyme and sage alongside a pot of basil. These didn't do well, so I'll not attempt herb growing next year. Too much shade anywhere that I can set a planter. It figures. The yard of our house was largely shaded, so could I get an apartment with direct sun? Of course not!

There's a semi-circular sweep of woodchip ground cover off one corner of the patio which looked really bare, so I stuck eight rose pink single impatiens plants in it and lined the front of the area with about a dozen Dusty Miller. Looked pretty good in the spring, but I needed to crowd the impatiens more or prune them some. A few got very spindly.

There...that's my little garden, but we have a membership to the Missouri Botanical Garden to feed my need for a real garden. If you ever come to St. Louis, DO go there. It is spectacular.

Oh, and indoors, I've my four "friggin' varlet" babies, Delilah, Maeve, Carlotta and Lavinia. Delilah has deep-blue edged white ruffled blooms, Maeve's are well...umm...mauve, Carlotta's deep rose pink and Lavinia is a dwarf violet with maroon blooms.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:53 pm

I have a container garden too. This year I had a tomato plant (looked like hel but did produce), lavender, basil, thyme, marjoram, sage, parsley (the soon to be Monarch butterflies ate it all one night), mint, chives, aloe and oregano. Plus some flowers.

I am a whiz with violets probably because I forget to water them. For some reason they bloom and grow like crazy for me.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:52 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Pot!

Kidding...

I planted a veggie garden at work this year (since our hotel theme is 'going green') and let our customers munch the food. It was fun. We had tomatoes, purple and yellow wax beans, and all kinds of sweet and hot peppers.
Tiger you beastie, (To the first line) Razz

Although our neighbour got busted earlier this year for just that.

This year, we were very lazy I am embarrassed to admit, we got Sage, basil, some cherry tomatoes, a few other herbs, and garlic, onions not much else. We did try Brussels sprouts, but the snails and slugs got to them. I have a plan for next year though.

We were successful at ground nuts but will wait to harvest for another year.

But the chrysanthemum that I thought was dead for two years came back this year and is about to bloom.
And my black walnut is thriving, almost four feet tall. Has anyone ever touched walnut leaves? they smell like lemon. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KittyKaz on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:20 am

I have my orchids and assorted flower/decorative plants in a hothouse in the back, and rotate them into the house as they bloom.

My roommate has a lovely collection of molds, fungi, and uh .. things .. he grows in cups and plates in his room. Thankfully, he keeps his door closed too.
KittyKaz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Has anyone tried the Topsy Turvy planter for tomatoes that supposedly is the greatest gardening thing since sliced bread hit the planet?

I noticed there was one hanging above the balcony of an apartment near ours but don't know the people living there. I hesitated to knock on their door and demand to know if it was producing tomatoes or not as an introduction.

They took it down a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing it didn't do much.

Just curious as I haven't anyplace that gets enough sun to grow tomatoes.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:36 pm

One of my friends has the topsy turvy tomato grower - she really likes it.

I grow weeds really well. Weeds and ground squirrels.

Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:02 pm

I gave my mother one of those topsy turvy things once, and it failed miserably....and my mother is an amazing gardener! I grew pretty much nothing this year. Though I did plant a hosta that did amazingly well. My hubby finally moved the wood pile that he had dumped on my old flower garden, and has promised to build me a raised bed so I can attempt veggies next year.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ottr on Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:55 pm

This year ... Tomato’s, carrots, leaf lettuce, various peppers (early fall frost killed um, darnit) strawberries (late spring frost threw these guys off too), rhubarb, and dill.
I take the kids out hunting for wild blueberries around our property as well. We don’t get too many, enough for pancakes and muffins though when they‘re ripe. That is, if we beat the birds to the thick patches.
It’s pretty sandy soil here so it’s been hit and miss. Some stuff takes, some stuff ends up looking rather pathetic and we won’t bother with it the next year.
Ottr

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:42 am

All I've ever heard about the topsy turvy is complaints. No one likes it. We sold them at Lowe's and roughly 100 of them have been returned.

I haven't had a garden here because it would have to be above ground. Rented lot, no tiller... So, I thought I couldn't have one. UNTIL.... I read in the paper the other day... I can take a plastic bag of top soil, poke holes, for drainage, in the bottom, lay it on the ground, slice it open, and plant in it. Of course, I can't plant deep rooting plants, but I'll be able to plant a few things.

Of course, I'm gonna have to be vigilant to make sure the cats don't think I've installed a deluxe, easy to use litter box in the yard... lol!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:08 am

tmarie64 wrote:All I've ever heard about the topsy turvy is complaints. No one likes it. We sold them at Lowe's and roughly 100 of them have been returned.

Thanks, Tina and others replying. Yeah, the reviews of it on Amazon were overwhelmingly negative. I thought when I saw one out of the package for display in Target that there wouldn't be anywhere near enough room for the roots. I didn't think about how heavy the thing would be when you watered it, but apparently, that's a significant problem.

I haven't had a garden here because it would have to be above ground. Rented lot, no tiller...

Unless you don't feel you could turn up any soil for gardening, Mel Bartholomew's square foot gardening would work. His book by that title shows that you can grow an amazing amount of veggies on only a 4' x 4' plot that's divided into 1-foot squares. Great exercise forking up a plot that size! As I recall, he recommends two such plots for a family of four if you want to produce very many veggies but that one such plot will easily supply two people. You mulch it enough that all you need for watering is a bucket and dipper of some kind.

So, I thought I couldn't have one. UNTIL.... I read in the paper the other day... I can take a plastic bag of top soil, poke holes, for drainage, in the bottom, lay it on the ground, slice it open, and plant in it. Of course, I can't plant deep rooting plants, but I'll be able to plant a few things.

You can grow quite a lot of veggies in containers, which is essentially what you'd be doing with the topsoil bag anyway. I got a book on that from Amazon and was excited about trying it until I discovered that our apartment is situated in such a way that the only area where I could put that many containers doesn't get enough sun to grow veggies.

Of course, I'm gonna have to be vigilant to make sure the cats don't think I've installed a deluxe, easy to use litter box in the yard... lol!

Yeah, that could be a definite problem. I'd be wary of trying that, too, since cats often regard indoor plant pots as a "Make-Your-Own-Litterbox."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:11 am

tmarie64 wrote:All I've ever heard about the topsy turvy is complaints. No one likes it. We sold them at Lowe's and roughly 100 of them have been returned.

I haven't had a garden here because it would have to be above ground. Rented lot, no tiller... So, I thought I couldn't have one. UNTIL.... I read in the paper the other day... I can take a plastic bag of top soil, poke holes, for drainage, in the bottom, lay it on the ground, slice it open, and plant in it. Of course, I can't plant deep rooting plants, but I'll be able to plant a few things.

you would do better with container gardening
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 am

Yes, I did great this summer with containers, and it is very easy, but then I concentrated on herbs that I use for cooking. Next year I'm going to raise a lot more veggies, I think.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 am

mom teaches container gardening at several local community centers and libraries-including proper soil/ fertilizer ratios; how container gardens control weeds and for the advanced-how to jury rig an irrigation system to your containers
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:40 am

A friend of mine did that - the irrigation system for his container garden - and I grew more envious as the summer went on. I chose self watering containers this year (I'd had a few the year before) and I have mixed feeling about it now. The tomatoes did not like it much it seemed to me. Ask your mom about them, if you would. I may do better next year with a mix of containers. Does she have a web site?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:00 am

The book I mentioned previously that I got from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/McGee-Stuckeys-Bountiful-Container-Vegetables/dp/0761116230/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255355739&sr=8-1

had how-to's for setting up such a system, I think.

It was a terrific book...very specific about size of container, watering and fertilizing requirements for various veggies and some fruits.

Oh, well...guess it's my destiny to live in housing that's largely shaded. First the house where we used to live, now the apartment.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks! That looks like exactly what I need. I am very fortunate that I get lots of sun and have a good sized patio, too.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:24 am

But I'd have to buy containers... The bags of topsoil are $1.39, before my employee discount.
Then, when the gardening is done, I'd have to take up the containers and store them. The bag way.. I pick'em up, and toss'em in the recycling bins at our local grocery store.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:27 pm

tmarie64 wrote:But I'd have to buy containers... The bags of topsoil are $1.39, before my employee discount.

True. Good thing I don't have an employee discount there. I gave away about four dozen good-sized boxes full of books when we moved, courtesy of having worked at Borders. Gives you a hint of how many pots and planters I'd be buying on that discount, huh?

Then, when the gardening is done, I'd have to take up the containers and store them.

Nope, not necessarily. I've a few large ones (2' square and a bit higher than that) that I'm leaving where they are across from our front door and on our patio. One or two are a new double-walled eco-style that the label claimed will get through the winter in our zone without cracking or breaking. I'm wrapping those anyway for insurance. You can use those cheapo painter's plastic dropcloths wrapped around several times and taped or tied and wrap smaller pots with bubble wrap.

I've some clay pots that sat outside year round in Kansas and never even cracked, although where we used to live was at the northern edge of the next zone south from where we are now. Dunno how that might work here with its being slightly further north, so I'm insulating all that I'm leaving outside over the winter until I get a more precise sense of what pots need that and which don't.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:59 pm

gillyflower wrote:A friend of mine did that - the irrigation system for his container garden - and I grew more envious as the summer went on. I chose self watering containers this year (I'd had a few the year before) and I have mixed feeling about it now. The tomatoes did not like it much it seemed to me. Ask your mom about them, if you would. I may do better next year with a mix of containers. Does she have a web site?

mom doesn't even do e-mail; but i will ask her about self-watering
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Dot... you forget... I live in a trailer park.
Never leave anything outside that is not chained and/or locked.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top