Dumbassed Christian statement of the day. Concerning attraction to women...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dumbassed Christian statement of the day. Concerning attraction to women...

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Chokmah wrote:Telling someone to, "Put on the mind of Christ" is a pejorative and says more about the person saying it than anything else. I really wouldn't think about it another minute (..now I may say to the person who said it, "Have you ever tried putting on the mind of Christ?").

I've gotta agree with Chokmah on this one.

The fact that this woman told you you needed to do that AND read your Bible sounds to me like a variant of "Get right with God."

How doing either was supposed to put you in a frame of mind whereby the woman you weren't at all attracted to became appealing is anybody's guess. Perhaps as was suggested above, that you would be so suffused with godly intent that you'd ultimately marry her as your "Christian duty" was the implication, which makes me cringe just thinking about it. Then again, she may have had in mind that old saw that there are things more important in a potential mate than mere physical attraction... but in this case, still a profoundly icky thought.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:56 am

Yeah, I wonder how many people even know what they're saying when they say "have the mind of Christ". Does that mean that you will require everyone to believe, love, and worship you, or you either torture them for the rest of their life or kill them on the spot (eternal hell or annihilation)?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am

Sounds to me as if you're in a frame of mind to appreciate Mark Twain's Letters To the Earth, Deavon, if you've not already read it. He skewers the more nonsensical Christian dogmas mercilessly.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:32 am

No, I have not read that. I should pick up a copy of it at the library. Thanks for the info.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 am

I've not read it either DOT; excellent suggestion! (What a wit that guy had!!!)

MC, that explains so much; you have a very generous spirit.

(TED: )
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 am

DeavonReye wrote:
Chokmah wrote:My questions is, "What exactly is THE mind of Christ?"

I mean, after reading the Bible with all kinds of denominations and Xians, I would be more confused then ever about what Christ was supposedly thinking. Some have Christ as a loving god, others have him as a racist, others have him as a warrior out for revenge, some have him as a sacrifice for our sins, others say he 'paid the price', Christ is a loving shepherd, Christ is an angry god, Christ is gonna getch ya, Christ is gonna love ya, Christ has already picked the winners and the losers before they are born.. it goes on and on. Xian theology is totally confusing at this point and the myriad denominations make it even more confusing.

And this is the VERY point of why I can no longer believe that the Bible is "all inspired and innerrant". If it actually WERE, . . . there would be only ONE denomination, ONE thought, ONE direction. There obviously isn't. The reasoning is simple. The book is man made and quite vague.

it couldn't be as simple as people are different and need different groups for various stages of their life?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 am

DeavonReye wrote:Yeah, I wonder how many people even know what they're saying when they say "have the mind of Christ". Does that mean that you will require everyone to believe, love, and worship you, or you either torture them for the rest of their life or kill them on the spot (eternal hell or annihilation)?

nope they are paraphrasing Paul: let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus-who being in the form of God... humbled himself... and became obedient unto death

its about humility and a servant's spirit
you can't be a KING; until you first learn to serve
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Dave when the going gets tough, the tough appear! You are so totally cool, my friend!

Deavon? Did you get what Dave was saying?

I love the different groups for different stages of their life. Spirit is so ready to engage us in different seasons! So many want to be Christ like/ or Christ minded but yet they flounder at the smallest act of love. I hope I am following you correctly, right Dave?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm

Ooops! Silly Dot! It's Letters FROM the Earth...I thought that "to" sounded peculiar.

I'm not sure if his Mysterious Stranger pieces are in that collection or not, but those are equally dark.

Anyone familiar with the tenets of Christian Science will appreciate his book of that name which demolishes it. He was NOT fond of Mary Baker Eddy. But then, she essentially stole the mental healing techniques that she tarted up with a bunch of King James references and turned into Science and Health With Key To the Scriptures, the so-called textbook of Christian Science.

Sadly, Twain's final years were not very happy, since two of his three daughters died unexpectedly and his wife preceded him in death as well despite being somewhat younger than he.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I must honestly say that I don't really follow it. I understand that people have stages of life. What I'm saying is that there are various denominations that hold to a certain "truth", and have biblical passages to back up their statements. Another denomination will have a different (sometimes opposite) view on that subject, and have verses to back up THEIR claims/statements. What I'm saying is that, if the book was divinely inspired, . . . and if God isn't the author of confusion, . . . there wouldn't be the ability for two opposing denominations being able to fight amongst eachother.

As for "being a servent" as to what "having the mind of Christ" is all about, . . . that truly isn't THE mind of Christ, but at best, only a small fragment.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:47 pm

Deavon? Your almost there, hon! It doesn't matter you denomination, what does matter, that reading the Bible for you makes sense to you when you read it, within spirit. Most denominations broke away from each other, because people read things in the bible, or within the man made degrees differently. Its like anything else, you get what you put into it! Some people read words, & quote scripture, but in their heart they don't have a clue!
Example: Ever go to a church service about the camel passing threw the eye of a needle easier than a rich man can gain entrance into heaven? And the sermon be about How the church needs money?" See? Thats NOT what the parable is about, is it?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:14 pm

I guess I'm looking at the more "fundamental" statements that differ amongst the groups. How someone "is saved", where "the damned go", etc.

But yeah, I believe it is a matter of those people having certain presuppositions and then many verses can be used to make the claim.

For ME, though, when I read something, and see it as a work of man, rather than any deity, and my spirit agrees with my thought, what does that say about that when others will claim divine inspiration or even dictation (at the extreme)? For instance, those verse laying out the destruction of people groups by the envading Hebrews on their way to "the promised land". True, no one will ever be able to truthfully claim that "they are absolutely right", . . . me included, . . . . . . . .and I guess that's why I feel less likely to, and have the ability to, agree with the "biblical inerrantist/literalist".

What a crazy ball we all live on, huh?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

what does the commission of the Hebrew peoples have to do with "inerrancy"?
inerrancy is the belief that all the Doctrine found in scripture is perfect and God -given

and I'm a literalist-because how else can read everyone's Holy Book? if there is not an objective standard there is no means for comparison

if Krishna wasn't really telling Arjuna to kill his cousins in Battle and Saul wasn't told By Elohim to kill the Amalekites it all becomes wishy washy gibberesh that means whatever you want it to mean-IMHO
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Well, if what you speak of is true, Dave, . . . then I certainly have a problem, within my spirit, with having the desire to either "love" or "worship" such a deity who askes such things (that and many other things). However, I appreciate your input. I doubt we'll agree, but thanks for what you offer.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Since someone mentioned Mark Twain, I thought I'd add this:
"If I were to construct a God I would furnish Him with some way and qualities and characteristics which the Present lacks. He would not stoop to ask for any man's compliments, praises, flatteries; and He would be far above exacting them. I would have Him as self-respecting as the better sort of man in these regards. He would not be a merchant, a trader. He would not buy these things. He would not sell, or offer to sell, temporary benefits of the joys of eternity for the product called worship. I would have Him as dignified as the better sort of man in this regard.
He would value no love but the love born of kindnesses conferred; not that born of benevolences contracted for. Repentance in a man's heart for a wrong done would cancel and annul that sin; and no verbal prayers for forgiveness be required or desired or expected of that man.
In His Bible there would be no Unforgiveable Sin. He would recognize in Himself the Author and Inventor of Sin and Author and Inventor of the Vehicle and Appliances for its commission; and would place the whole responsibility where it would of right belong: upon Himself, the only Sinner.
He would not be a jealous God -- a trait so small that even men despise it in each other.
He would not boast.
He would keep private His admirations of Himself; He would regard self-praise as unbecoming the dignity of his position.
He would not have the spirit of vengeance in His heart. Then it would not issue from His lips.
There would not be any hell -- except the one we live in from the cradle to the grave.
There would not be any heaven -- the kind described in the world's Bibles.
He would spend some of His eternities in trying to forgive Himself for making man unhappy when he could have made him happy with the same effort and he would spend the rest of them in studying astronomy." -- Mark Twain, Notebook
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Deavon, have you read The Shack by Wm. Paul Young? I just finished it, and found that it settled my spirit. Granted, it is just one man's opinion of what a conversation with God would be like, but I found it to be one of the best books I've ever read. Who knows, it might help you.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 am

Willowcreek70633 wrote: Deavon? Your almost there, hon! It doesn't matter you denomination, what does matter, that reading the Bible for you makes sense to you when you read it, within spirit. Most denominations broke away from each other, because people read things in the bible, or within the man made degrees differently. Its like anything else, you get what you put into it! Some people read words, & quote scripture, but in their heart they don't have a clue!
Example: Ever go to a church service about the camel passing threw the eye of a needle easier than a rich man can gain entrance into heaven? And the sermon be about How the church needs money?" See? Thats NOT what the parable is about, is it?

I think Deavon is right on the mark here. As I understand the OP, some woman told him to look at some girl with "the mind of Christ" and then ask her out..... marry her and raise a passel of good little Christian kids to honor the glory of god. And as Deavon pointed out, he can't wrap his mind around this silly assed statement. I don't honestly think anyone can. Hell, I can think of some drop dead gorgeous women who were complete turnoffs for some reason or other.

I've heard you say this too many times "the heart wants what the heart wants." It has to do with what an individual finds attractive..... not what "the mind of Christ" is trying to plant into your skull bucket.

From what I gather, Deavon is looking for a date that he won't have to walk on a leash. I can't say that I blame him either. I can just about guarantee that if your mustache had been thicker than mine, we'd never have gone on the first date either.

Now so far as the bible's inerrancy is concerned, regardless of what mind you read it in, Christ's or your own, there's a lot of errancy to be found. Granted there are stories in the bible to make you ponder the morals..... I'll give you that. However, if you read Aesop's Fables, you'll find that they too offer morals to ponder on. And if one reads religious texts from the other available religions, you'll find the same virtuous qualities there as well. This does not make one inspirational book greater than the other.

To make the claim that one is better than the other is absurd; and to tell someone who is looking for a date to "read the bible" then ask a girl out he has no interest in at all is even more so. If I were in that position, I'd want to inspect the dowry, and the goats had best not have any resemblance to the girl in question.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:54 am

"Some people are just so spiritually minded that they are no earthly good." That's a phrase that really works in this case. The absurdity of her statement was great. My lack of listening was even greater.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:55 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
DeavonReye wrote:Yeah, . . . it seems like those who suggest such things believe that they've already arrived. It nearly caused me to spill the beans with them (they don't know of my "fall away from grace" yet).

If I end up never finding a girlfriend, . . . it will be because I can't accept what I can PERSONALLY get. You know, "the law of supply and demand" can be a bitch.

Just as an FYI, . . . I don't expect to find someone with "model looks". Just enough attraction to where I would have the desire to want to kiss them. I don't think that's too much to ask! And if Christians are all about "God not going against someone's 'free will'", then how would my lunch mate's suggestion help? Sometimes I wonder if SOME Christians know what it means to promote a contradiction?

If you want, one of these days I'll show up at your front door, go to church with you, and then try to climb down your throat before the service, during the sermon, and as we walk out of church. That should get people talking about you.

Then again, I am not sure how my husband would take it. Explaining to him I was doing you a favor probably wouldn't go over very well.

You are so very kind and helpful ...
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:50 pm

john5180 wrote:
From what I gather, Deavon is looking for a date that he won't have to walk on a leash. I can't say that I blame him either. I can just about guarantee that if your mustache had been thicker than mine, we'd never have gone on the first date either.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:32 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
john5180 wrote:

Well?! Whistle2 Wasn't it?! Question
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 am

Yep.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:02 am

Thanx for that bit of reassurance, Deavon. I was beginning to believe I was misreading your OP.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top