Personal attacks by christians, when you don't believe?

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Personal attacks by christians, when you don't believe?

Post by DeavonReye on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:08 am

I'm on another forum, a Christian one, . . . and I always am amazed that, when I don't agree with their position, I am attacked personally. I find it funny that, because a person doesn't automatically agree with a position that has NO evidence, and requires you to have faith in THEIR beliefs, . . . when you don't, then you are "just here to cause trouble".

It seems like such tactics are amongst the weakest debating tactics ever!
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: Personal attacks by christians, when you don't believe?

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:24 am

It is the weakest debate tactic, it comes from those who are weak in their faith, but it also sounds like they are uneducated in their faith, which is a shame.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:49 am

Many who are there to convert are not interested in debating and have no debating skills-they are there to show you the LIGHT and are dumbfounded when you don't see it.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 am

I had not thought about that Dave, it makes sense.

And yet it doesn't (although I am sure you are correct)

Being on a "Christian only" forum is a pretty bizarre venue to seek converts to Christianity, At least to me....but what do I know ?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:57 am

You are no longer seeking converts to Christianity ; but to your particular TM brand of Christianity

its not good enough to believe; you have to believe the WAY I believe
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:03 pm

AH I see, thanks

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:17 pm

Every group does this btw. Go on to a Muslim board or a Jewish board... the same thing happens. It even happens here.

Ask an innocent question of the wrong person (and then be prepared for personal attacks and ad hominems. It often occurs amongst those who are 'professional victims').
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:55 pm

Chok's right. It happens everywhere. I have been insulted for being Christian. I've seen members of this very forum make snide remarks about Christians, never caring that ALL of us are not that way.
It's not just religion either. Go to the Family and Parenting thread in b'net and look at how "I'm better than everyone else" Shi is on the "wrong crowd" thread.
She as much as says that parents who don't homeschool their kids are lazy and have their priorities wrong. She also says that public schooled kids are the wrong crowd for her kid.
It happens anywhere that people feel strongly about something.

This also brings up a point for me... Why would you go to a Christian only forum if you're not Christian? Or why would anyone go to ANY forum that says for christian/jewish/pagan only if you have no interest whatsoever in the topic? That's just asking for an attack. It does make sense that they would be suspicious of someone who is, obviously, not involved in the basis of the forum.
I see Christians going to pagan forums, solely to convert or cause trouble.
I have seen men go to rape survivor forums solely to cause pain to the survivors, and I know a woman who did this because her brother was convicted of rape and she was mad at all women who ever claimed to be raped.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:33 pm

Chokmah wrote:Every group does this btw. Go on to a Muslim board or a Jewish board... the same thing happens. It even happens here.

Ask an innocent question of the wrong person (and then be prepared for personal attacks and ad hominems. It often occurs amongst those who are 'professional victims').

It also occurs among otherwise good, sincere people who are just damned tired of people showing up on their forum to tweak them about the "silly" things they believe or attempt to persuade them that their beliefs are illogical and ridiculous.

The worst possible time to hang out on the forum of a religion that you once believed in is after you realize you no longer can believe its essential doctrines. Been there, did that...and it was neither nice nor kind.

Find other ways to deal with your anger and feelings of betrayal if either motivates you to hang out on such a forum. If you can't enter into the talk sincerely and fervently, you don't belong there.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm

tmarie64 wrote:
This also brings up a point for me... Why would you go to a Christian only forum if you're not Christian? Or why would anyone go to ANY forum that says for christian/jewish/pagan only if you have no interest whatsoever in the topic? That's just asking for an attack. It does make sense that they would be suspicious of someone who is, obviously, not involved in the basis of the forum.
I have seen men go to rape survivor forums solely to cause pain to the survivors, and I know a woman who did this because her brother was convicted of rape and she was mad at all women who ever claimed to be raped.

I thought Deavon was a Christian, just extremely non-traditional.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:37 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I thought Deavon was a Christian, just extremely non-traditional.
SO did I, perhaps a confused one but still a Christian. which is why he was asking questions on a Christian only forum

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:09 pm

tmarie64 wrote:
It's not just non-Christians that have problems on such forums, on some of them it's people who are, as Dave said, not the right kind of Christian™️. I have lurked, but never posted on some Christian sites and have seen people criticized, insulted, and told to leave because they were not "real" Christians™️. They were Roman Catholics (comments included the Pope is the anti-christ or demon worshipers), United Church of Christ (comments included communists or homo lovers), and Mormons (comments included cultists or polygamists).
All some of the people on some of these sites want there are those who drink the same kind of Kool-Aid they do. Anyone who objects to the bitter-almond odor is not welcome.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 pm

In fairness, humans are groupers and it's not exclusive to Christianity. It's that way in politics (no matter what party) and I don't know any religion that doesn't have REALs, REAL pagans, REAL buddhists, REAL muslims, REAL jews, REAL UU's, and with races, like REAL blacks or REAL whites or REAL asians, classes of people, etc. I've talked about REAL hippies before. And then you have REAL wal-mart shoppers, REAL poor people, REAL wealthy people, REAL photographers, REAL authors, REAL painters, ... ahh.

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

(For those of you that need a warm and fuzzy moment: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/williams/rabbit/rabbit.html )

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Okay, my bad if I'm mistaken about Deavon's religious status. I thought he was moving away from being Christian.

Perhaps I have him confused with someone else.

Otherwise, agreed that if you aren't the approved "flavor" of Christian, you aren't "really" a Christian according to a good many such people.

I'd often like to ask those types, "You don't say? Let's see. The man upon whose life and teachings your religion is founded hung out with Samaritans, lepers and adulterers. His apostles were a bunch of humble fishermen.

"Somehow, I have a feeling he'd have been less quick to label and condemn than you are. Ya think?"
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm

We need Deavon to come back and clarify, as far as I am concerned what ever he is is just fine. I don't even care if he is a "real"

I do think he may be pulling away from Christianity, but my impression was that he was generally sincere in asking questions on that forum and was insulted for questioning

I could be wrong.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:42 pm

Oh, I wasn't saying anyone is or is not christian. I just wonder why anyone goes to any forum on any topic if they are not interested.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:52 am

Hi everyone. Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I truthfully go on in an attempt to have someone address my questions . . . .those things that no longer are congruent with how I used to believe. I still go to a Christian church, a quite fundamentalist one at that, . . . but have been increasingly troubled by the doctrines and have been on this Christian forum in an attempt to hopefully find someone who would make a comment that would make me really think (one that points to Christianity and it's doctrines as true). Up until now, these things have not been addressed satisfactorily. Every once in a while, I have an agreement with one of them, but it is because they make a statement that closely fits with what I've come to believe.

I feel like I'm about to the place where this "christian coil is about to be shed". My faith is nearly gone, and attempting to discover where I COULD be in error is hampered by the personal attacks.

I know that eventually this site will be the only place where I come to seek a spiritual path. Obviously, with the spiritual diversity here, it is a better place to be, anyway.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 am

And what ever you decide and what ever path you find, Deavon you will always be accepted here my friend

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:20 am

MaineCaptain, . . .you're like, one of my favorite persons on the internet.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Thank you so much Deavon, that means a lot to me, it really does.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Thank YOU! . . . . . And you're very welcome.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Sorry if I was a bit too directive earlier, but I was under the impression...rather mistaken, I just learned...that you'd pretty much given up the whole Christian thing and mostly still went to your church out of an understandable hesitancy to give up all familiar things-religious.

Probably too much projection involved in my reaction.

Anyway, if your experience is similar to that which many of us who once were Christians have had, you'll gradually find your way to beliefs that make sense for you.

Have you tried one of the more liberal Christian churches? One of those might make a good transition or perhaps may be what you need. United Methodist or United Church of Christ...possibly Quakers?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:51 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Sorry if I was a bit too directive earlier, but I was under the impression...rather mistaken, I just learned...that you'd pretty much given up the whole Christian thing and mostly still went to your church out of an understandable hesitancy to give up all familiar things-religious.

Probably too much projection involved in my reaction.

Anyway, if your experience is similar to that which many of us who once were Christians have had, you'll gradually find your way to beliefs that make sense for you.

Have you tried one of the more liberal Christian churches? One of those might make a good transition or perhaps may be what you need. United Methodist or United Church of Christ...possibly Quakers?

Deavon. I quite agree with Dot. I myself have found my own Spiritual Path. Each of us have to follow our own path. For some that's the Christian path. For others their path may be through a differet Religion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 pm

TPaine wrote:
tmarie64 wrote:
It's not just non-Christians that have problems on such forums, on some of them it's people who are, as Dave said, not the right kind of Christian™️. I have lurked, but never posted on some Christian sites and have seen people criticized, insulted, and told to leave because they were not "real" Christians™️. They were Roman Catholics (comments included the Pope is the anti-christ or demon worshipers), United Church of Christ (comments included communists or homo lovers), and Mormons (comments included cultists or polygamists).
All some of the people on some of these sites want there are those who drink the same kind of Kool-Aid they do. Anyone who objects to the bitter-almond odor is not welcome.

TPaine. I confess that I'm one of those who don't see the Mormons as a Christian Faith & do see them as a Cult. I've always said this was based on my own experiences from when I was a member of the Mormon Faith. From when I was a Ordained Elder in the Melchizedak Priesthood & based on the teachings of the Priesthood & Church.

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:16 pm

I didn't realize you were a Mormon, Warlord. I don't really have a lot of experience with them.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top