The mentality of "banning"

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The mentality of "banning"

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:26 pm

When they start banning smoking etc. in your own home or vehicle they've gone way too far.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bette The Red on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Way too far. Sticks never work anyway.

I'm a very happy ex-smoker, having smoked a pack and a half a day for 35 years before moving on. I'm healthier and stronger and more attractive than I've been in 20 years. I used hypnosis combined with reading a book. PM me if you're interested. Otherwise, you're right. Smoking is probably what caused my Mom to have her big stroke that put her in a wheelchair, and I happily bring her a cigarette every week when I visit. Why would I stop her last little pleasure? (Now, it's a challenge trying to remember how old the cigs are so that I can buy another pack before I damn-near kill her...)

Bette The Red

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Don't worry, unless they get wet, they'll stay good for a while.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 pm

I never smoked cigarettes - I'm allergic to all the 'other' shit they put in them. Once in a while I enjoy loose tobacco though. Like everything else, I guess, it affects some people quite poorly and some people's health not at all. For all intensive purposes, tobacco is a drug, but I have a hard time putting tobacco and cocaine on a desk and saying it's the same concept. I guess what we're seeing now is the rah-rahs against smoking the same way we saw the rah-rahs pushing cigs in print and custom for the last hundred years.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bette The Red on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Unfortunately, TED, there's a school of thought that believes that nicotine addiction is the root of most addiction today. I have to say, I'd never felt that growly stomach pang in quite the same way as when I took those first few puffs as 13 or so.

Bette The Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:59 pm

I only ever smoked when I was drinking

are we sure that alcohol addiction is not the gateway to all others?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Caffeine was the gateway for me.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:43 pm

With a fairly nonaddictive brain chemistry I can't say I understand....except for the caffeine.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 pm

I think that the discussion of different areas and their relative crime rates detracts from the real issue. I know that people are tired of talking about guns, and really, I am one of them.

All I'm going to say, is for the five hundredth time, it is not about need.

I'm in a bit of a bind really. I see stupid people, who do stupid things, every day. Part of me just wants to take over their life and say, "you aren't responsible enough, let me do it." The other part of me says that it is their life, they should be able to screw it up for themselves.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:47 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I'm in a bit of a bind really. I see stupid people, who do stupid things, every day. Part of me just wants to take over their life and say, "you aren't responsible enough, let me do it." The other part of me says that it is their life, they should be able to screw it up for themselves.

all

Yes, and when they DO screw it up for themselves, they should have to deal with the consequences themselves.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 pm

And what about when their stupidity injures or kills an innocent person? (Drunk, drugged, and distracted drivers, I'm looking at YOU.)
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:40 pm

but not completely people like all and myself are often paid to fix other peoples messes in our respective ways

and if all lived in the big city; then he would be removing golf balls from cavities, repairing digits from cleaning loaded guns as well as dealing with the obese and starved that "did the damage to them selves"
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:53 pm

"removing golf balls from cavitites..." I'm... not even going to ask, I KNOW I'll regret it!
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:59 pm

people want to experiment and see what will fit in what
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:49 am

I asked you not to explain!
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 am

Beribee wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I'm in a bit of a bind really. I see stupid people, who do stupid things, every day. Part of me just wants to take over their life and say, "you aren't responsible enough, let me do it." The other part of me says that it is their life, they should be able to screw it up for themselves.

all

Yes, and when they DO screw it up for themselves, they should have to deal with the consequences themselves.

Yes!

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:30 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Beribee wrote:

all

Yes!

all

I would usually agree, except that it is often other people they screw things up for more than/instead of themselves.
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 am

How?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:18 am

addicts and drunks often effect their lovedones in negative way more than they do themselves
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:28 am

And we see how well banning has worked in those situations.

Really, we are kind of stuck.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:50 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:And we see how well banning has worked in those situations.

actually the informal banning of societal disapproval is about as effective as anything-its just very slow acting
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Only in isolated areas.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Davelaw wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:And we see how well banning has worked in those situations.

actually the informal banning of societal disapproval is about as effective as anything-its just very slow acting

Yes, that, and if someone still cares about their families the effect their actions have on their loved ones can be very powerful.

And I wasn't really advocating banning so much as stating a fact of the matter...you can't throw a rock in a pond and expect the ripples not to spread. Our actions can and often will impact others, whatever our intentions.
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:
Davelaw wrote:

Yes, that, and if someone still cares about their families the effect their actions have on their loved ones can be very powerful.

And I wasn't really advocating banning so much as stating a fact of the matter...you can't throw a rock in a pond and expect the ripples not to spread. Our actions can and often will impact others, whatever our intentions.

All of our actions have consequences, foreseen, and unforeseen. I am more of the opinion that people should want to behave in accordance with this understanding, than they need to be forced to do so. That is all I have been saying.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top