Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 am

The higher waist isn't the problem especially since it isn't in (according to the younger librarians and all my daughters) for women to wear their shirts tucked in, especially with a belt! Don't do that, it looks like you are stuck in the 80s - or is that early 90s? Mom jeans have the narrow at the ankles look. It makes the widest part, the butt. Get straight or boot cut legs and for goodness sakes get them plenty long. Chicos has jeans that look great on women. And by the way, these are on sale for $19.99.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 am

I've never seen anything called "mom jeans"...
I prefer a high waist because I am long waisted.

Low riding jeans are the reason so many people ruin their look with "muffin tops" bulging over the tops of their jeans.
Kweer... There is no such store here. Also, my husband wore 32x34 jeans when we met, and his pants fit fine. They weren't baggy, and looked quite nice. You're not ever going to convince me that you are "that" hard to fit.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:24 am

What they call Mom Jeans I call comfortable jeans

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 am

tmarie64 wrote:I've never seen anything called "mom jeans"...

The Urban Dictionary has apt descriptions and even a picture:

"Often seen on the 40+ crowd, mom jeans are too high, too tight, tapered
leg jeans which manage to showcase any bodily flaw the wearer has.
Possible outcomes: The butt will be compressed so it doesn't stick out,
it will instead be pushed to the sides, making it look far wider than
it actually is......

High waisted jeans with a tapered leg. Nobody looks good in these type
of jeans. They make your thighs, hips, and belly look much bigger than
they actually are.

A lot of women in their 40s tend to only buy these type of pants
for a reason the baffles me. If you own a pair of Mom Jeans, you should
burn them right away.

Of course, guys are wearing them too. Obama himself wore them.

tmarie64 wrote:
Also, my husband wore 32x34 jeans when we met, and his pants fit fine. They weren't baggy, and looked quite nice.

That's the point. Tall thin guys shouldn't do baggy clothes. However, if you look at the clothes commonly targeted to middle aged guys, they tend toward bagginess. Things like 'relaxed fit' with extra room in the waist, etc, are cut for middle aged spread. And let's face it, they cut those clothes for the majority body type in that age range. Check the obesity statistics for our country if you have any doubts about that. Guys who don't have middle aged spread, really shouldn't wear those clothes if they are tall and thin, unless they just don't care how badly it looks.

Last edited by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 am

I don't know about tight, I always wear loose jeans but I like the higher in the waist, I get cold

Also I have been wearing that style of jeans since I was 13 years old

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:34 am

It's fascinating to read all this

I only have a few criteria when picking jeans, or anything else.

Does it fit. Is it comfortable. Does it stink.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:36 am

Here's the real deal on mom jeans, but we've all seen this in real life:

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:39 am

gillyflower wrote:And by the way, these are on sale for $19.99.

Those are HAWT jeans!

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:19 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:It's fascinating to read all this

I only have a few criteria when picking jeans, or anything else.

Does it fit. Is it comfortable. Does it stink.
excellent criteria

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:32 pm

The thing is the hawt jeans from Chicos are very comfortable. There is not bulge over the top of the jean. The fabric gives a little too, giving when you move. You CAN have stylish jeans that look good on you and are comfortable too.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:51 pm

You know, I wasn't sure exactly what we were talking about when we started talking about "Mom Jeans." But to me, jeans are jeans. They are comfortable pants I am not afraid to get dirty, or afraid will rip. Beyond that, I don't care. Never saw jeans as particularly fashionable anyway.

If I want fashion, I will wear a pretty dress.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm

In my not so humble opinion. Jeans killed fashion. They are not fashionable at all. I wear them because they are comfortable. Nothing more.

You are right SG Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 pm

I don't get this thing called fashion myself.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Again in my opinion, fashion is just some businesses way of getting people to buy new clothes every year.
But I have never been fashionable, so I could be wrong Wink

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:48 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I wear the same shirt/pants combo every day for a week or so before washing it. Black dresspants. As long as you wear some form underwear (and preferably change it) odor's not a problem for clean people. Ballsweat naturally has a musky smell and whatever touches it DOES have to be washed. Hence undergarmets are a good thing. I do customer service so while that can be stressful it doesn't involve marathon running.

I beg to differ. This might work for some people, but it would definitely not work for hubby. He has a desk job and leaves his desk rarely but still comes home smelling decidedly "manly" after a day's work despite showering every morning, using an anti-perspirant, and wearing underwear.

It depends on a person's body chemistry, what you eat, and the extent to which you sweat whether or not you could wear clothes daily and launder them only once weekly.

Ah... the benefits of being (mostly) testosterone-free... Laughing

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:You know, I had not thought about it since I have not been camping in a while, but has anyone ever notice that pants (jeans) get stiff if not washed occasionally.

Two weeks camping made very stiff jeans.

Or was that just my oddity??

They do- here we have a joke about it, we say "Those pants look like they can stand up by themselves" if they look really dirty.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:55 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Again in my opinion, fashion is just some businesses way of getting people to buy new clothes every year.
But I have never been fashionable, so I could be wrong

For me it is about buying clothes that fit correctly, but paying prices lower than Wal-mart, where possible. The problem is the baggy look seems to have overtaken almost everything, so finding slim-fit clothes isn't always simple, although, I only focus on certain labels now, that I know do the slim fit thing.

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:03 pm

I have nothing to with fashion and I know it. However, being tall, thin, and male, they do not make jeans - or most any pants - to fit.

I buy all my clothes from 70s retro stores that sell genuine vintage clothes. For two reasons...first, I like it, and secondly, the 70s were the last time men were commonly tall and thin. Now they're Big and Tall. The only shirt and pants I've ever bought that fit without intense tailoring came from before the 80s. It's just the size of our society these days. I have a 31-32 inch waist and need a 34 length. Shirts made for men are also impossible to find that fit from this era.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Yay for tailoring! One size never fits everyone, that's why one tailors the clothes to suit the person and the shoes they are going to wear. You will know that your clothes look sharp on you.

When I was young I loved fashion and liked to be at the cutting edge. I've been through many stages with fashion, fondly remembering such me-eras as the Laura Ashley period. Ah for pretty feminine dresses! And the mountain era or Merrells and cords and wool sweaters.

My daughters have refused to let me slump into not caring and I'm glad of that. Their form of high praise is calling me a hip mom. I like pretty clothes. Smile

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:50 pm

gillyflower wrote:The thing is the hawt jeans from Chicos are very comfortable. There is not bulge over the top of the jean. The fabric gives a little too, giving when you move. You CAN have stylish jeans that look good on you and are comfortable too.

As far as I'm concerned, those would be about the only things Chicos sells that I'd consider wearing. I think the bulk of their patterned clothing is garish.

I tend to Santa Fe style things myself...broomstick skirts and such. I hate most conventional women's clothing although I have a few pieces in case I need to look boring and predictable somewhere.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:01 pm

This fall is a better season for Chicos, I think, but really the jeans are good and it is a good place to pick up interesting things to add to outfits from the sale rack. Dressing all in Chicos, or any place else for that matter? Too predictable, too matchy-matchy.

The western look is a nice one but doesn't fit in well here in the South where I am. I've got a Santa Fe flavored jacket I've worn half to death, but this year it doesn't really go with the rest of my clothes. I've found as I've moved around that different areas favor different looks for women's clothing just as they do for houses.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Shocked
Wow, I really must live a boring life, or in a broom closet, all this talk about clothes!

Women? Men?
No balls, but pussy's, Sweaty balls or free ballin
To buy & when not to buy,
Where to shop & where not,
To wear, or what not to wear,
To wash or not to wash!
These are the questions & answers of YSN on Oct 1st 2009.
So mote it be.

Question pale

Hysterical
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:32 pm

oh my gosh, Willow, Some of that I was pretending not to notice

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:59 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:
Wow, I really must live a boring life, or in a broom closet, all this talk about clothes!

Women? Men?
No balls, but pussy's, Sweaty balls or free ballin
To buy & when not to buy,
Where to shop & where not,
To wear, or what not to wear,
To wash or not to wash!
These are the questions & answers of YSN on Oct 1st 2009.
So mote it be.

And so it is.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top