Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:03 pm

A number of men come into the library who smell bad, summer or winter. In the summer they sweat and stink and don't wash, in the winter they don't bath or don't wash their clothes and stink. Dressing for the weather doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Fewer women come in who smell bad. I have a feeling that the men who stink don't smell themselves.

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:07 pm

gillyflower wrote:I have a feeling that the men who stink don't smell themselves.

Well you already know the cause of that, as you stated:

gillyflower wrote:
In the summer they sweat and stink and don't wash

Bathing=GOOD

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 pm

I just don't believe it would be possible for most people NEVER to launder jeans.

I can wear a pair of jeans daily for a couple of weeks, and then mine start to smell not-so-good. I can walk vigorously for a mile or so and barely break a sweat in all but the hottest weather...never have sweat much at all.

Hubby showers thoroughly every morning, sometimes again when he gets home. The man's a furnace and sweats far more than I do.

I'm just thankful he doesn't have to wear suits or similarly dressy clothing to work. Our drycleaning bill would be outrageous!
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:I just don't believe it would be possible for most people NEVER to launder jeans.

I can wear a pair of jeans daily for a couple of weeks, and then mine start to smell not-so-good.

I don't wear the same pair of jeans every day. I probably have ten pair that I rotate, but given summer has just passed, I have hardly worn them at all, except in the evenings or in air-conditioning during the day.

DotNotInOz wrote:
I can walk vigorously for a mile or so and barely break a sweat in all but the hottest weather...never have sweat much at all.

I go up and down a mountain every other day and intentionally do this between 2-3 PM, at the hottest part of the day. (I LOVE it at 90+ degrees!) I would NEVER do that in jeans, particularly given all of my jeans are slim cuts.

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Again, the people can be perfectly clean but their clothes smell and they don't seem to realize it. People leave their outer clothing (or bags of clothing) at desks and the area reeks. Washing (or the cleaners) is good for bodies and for any clothing you wear. If it doesn't last as long as unwashed clothing does, go to the thrift stores and buy another pair of jeans for a couple of dollars. You may not be able to tell that your clothes are mildewed, musty, smell like smoke, campfires, urine, feces, wet dog, or unwashed bodies but other people aren't so lucky.

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 pm

gillyflower wrote:Again, the people can be perfectly clean but their clothes smell and they don't seem to realize it.

Sure you realize it, in the same way you know a dish rag or bath towel needs to be washed. If it smells, you notice. I am sorry you have to work with homeless people who don't bathe. However, your experiences with them tell you nothing at all of whether there is an odor to my unwashed jeans or not. You are free to ASSUME there is some correlation, but in the end, it is still an assumption, because you've no basis in fact for the assumption, but are merely guessing.

Don't take my word about not washing jeans, why not read the reasoning for yourself?

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Gr, I lost my post. I'll do it again.

I wear the same shirt/pants combo every day for a week or so before washing it. Black dresspants. As long as you wear some form underwear (and preferably change it) odor's not a problem for clean people. Ballsweat naturally has a musky smell and whatever touches it DOES have to be washed. Hence undergarmets are a good thing. I do customer service so while that can be stressful it doesn't involve marathon running.

I'm allergic to deodorant so I powder down in baking soda under the arms each morning. It keeps any odor from happening all day, lasts longer than any deodorant I could find back when I could wear it. The negative side effect is that I trail fairy dust behind me all day. My being 'dusty' is a running joke but I tell the coworkers they can put with dust or bad BO, your choice. Very Happy And no, with baking soda and showering daily, even my shirts don't have to be washed but once a week or so after wearing them 16 hours each day 7 days in a row.

As for the other tips...those are great too. Drying racks, great. Washing clothes in cold water, great.

_________________
"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
avatar
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 pm

The real issue for me in this is, so much of our waste as a society, comes from the 'throw away' mentality we have. We wash everything in hot water, then burn it up in the dryer. The clothes get worn out as quickly as possible, which means they must be replaced that much sooner. The elastic in underwear gets burnt to a crisp and t-shirts look completely beaten after 6 months of this.

I buy clothes which are either fitted to my body, or tailored to fit if needed. Sure ten bucks is cheap for a fitted t-shirt. However, when the fit is perfect, I don't want to have to give that t-shirt up any sooner than necessary. I do not want the color to fade. I do not want the t-shirt to look beat down any sooner than necessary.

It is even more difficult when it comes to pants, of any type. 34" length is not that common of a length to find. When I finally do find pants long enough to fit, I would rather hold onto them as long as possible, because sometimes it is HELL trying to find more pants in 34" lengths. I have shopped 8 hours in a day and come up empty handed, and that has been the norm rather than the exception for as long as I can remember. Since I NEVER pay retail (as in $178 for Tahari cords), it's all the more difficult to find the length I wear.

So no, I can't afford to waste the clothes I DO actually find which DO actually fit. It's not the money I can't afford, but the TIME I must invest to find what actually fits. That's why I would much rather PRESERVE those clothes with a perfect fit, than tire myself out trying to replace them.


Last edited by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 4 times in total

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:35 pm

I do agree that a normally clean people (those who wash and change their undergarments ) can get away with wearing the outer clothing for much longer without any odour.

I have one really bad habit though, that requires me to wear dark pants. I use my leg as a table (only for coffee), and if not careful, have the ring from the coffee cup right above my knee.

Of course the furniture is safe, but it does require, that I do launder my pants, (Largely jeans) more often.
Yes I admit it, I am weird. And it is a terrible habit.

But I do use gentle soap and cold water.


Last edited by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:33 pm

HappyKweer wrote:
gillyflower wrote:Again, the people can be perfectly clean but their clothes smell and they don't seem to realize it.

Sure you realize it, in the same way you know a dish rag or bath towel needs to be washed. If it smells, you notice. I am sorry you have to work with homeless people who don't bathe. However, your experiences with them tell you nothing at all of whether there is an odor to my unwashed jeans or not. You are free to ASSUME there is some correlation, but in the end, it is still an assumption, because you've no basis in fact for the assumption, but are merely guessing.

Don't take my word about not washing jeans, why not read the reasoning for yourself?

I lived in the mountains for many years and a lot of the young hippies and the refugees from the sixties didn't wash their clothes there either. They weren't homeless. I know their clothes smelled because I smelled their clothes, not so often did I smell them. They washed their bodies but they were a lot more casual about washing their clothes. They didn't seem to realize when the mountain damp had given their clothing a mildew odor or whatever (smoke, dirt) and often thought putting on scent masked the odor too.

I don't know if your clothes smell and could care less if they do since you aren't likely to be in the same room I am. It isn't personal. I'm just saying that it is obvious to other people sometimes when it isn't obvious to the person who is familiar with the smell of their clothes. If on the other hand you are able to wear clothes that haven't been washed and the clothes don't smell like it, great. That goes for MC and TED too.

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:10 pm

I think it's like what I call "sheep dip syndrome" with women who've worn one perfume for so long that they can't smell it anymore without spraying half a bottle on themselves.

Seems like false economy to me to avoid washing clothes simply to try to make them last longer. A person may think they don't smell, but as you say, Gilly, it could well be a case of "everyone but you" notices.

You can get some really nice clothes on clearance racks even at Wal-Mart. I needed some "fatter Dot" jeans and shorts this summer and picked up several pair for $5-$9 each. Plenty good enough for working around the house.
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 pm

I will totally agree that many times stanky people don't realize they stank. They'd have to grow accustomed to it just to survive. Seen a lot of it too!

_________________
"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
avatar
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:21 pm

Giggles, Yes I am paranoid about smell, no it is not pathological but I think about it regularly, So I make sure I am clean.

I also try not to bathe in perfume
but I guarantee nothing

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:37 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I wear the same shirt/pants combo every day for a week or so before washing it. Black dresspants. As long as you wear some form underwear (and preferably change it) odor's not a problem for clean people. Ballsweat naturally has a musky smell and whatever touches it DOES have to be washed. Hence undergarmets are a good thing. I do customer service so while that can be stressful it doesn't involve marathon running.

I beg to differ. This might work for some people, but it would definitely not work for hubby. He has a desk job and leaves his desk rarely but still comes home smelling decidedly "manly" after a day's work despite showering every morning, using an anti-perspirant, and wearing underwear.

It depends on a person's body chemistry, what you eat, and the extent to which you sweat whether or not you could wear clothes daily and launder them only once weekly.
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:51 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
Seems like false economy to me to avoid washing clothes simply to try to make them last longer.

HA! You try to find pants with 34 inch lengths and get back to me. Sure that size is common in Levis, but that doesn't mean you can actually find the size in stores.

DotNotInOz wrote:
You can get some really nice clothes on clearance racks even at Wal-Mart.

I won't even look at their clothes. The handful of people I know who have purchased clothes at Walmart all complained they fell apart in 3 months time with regular washing.

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I find clothes in 34 length. My husband wears a 34 length. He is 6'4" tall, and we wash his clothes regularly.
We have to go to Big and Tall, but we find them.

That being said.... Jeans don't "have" to be washed every time they are worn. My husband wears dress pants and shirts to work. He wears his jeans a grand total of maybe 3 or 4 hours a night and on weekends. He does not sweat.

THAT being said... Kweer... buy woolite and WASH THOSE CLOTHES! If you are willing to pay ten bucks for a lousy t-shirt, you can cough up money for Woolite or Oxy-clean. We have to pay at least 30 bucks for a dress shirt for my husband. We use Oxyclean and his shirts will last him almost a year. He is a department director in a Catholic hospital, he can't wear faded clothes to work. Buy Oxyclean and wash your clothes.

_________________
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
— Dr. Seuss
avatar
tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : Richmond, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Dot... No, tall men, tall women, and anyone who wants clothes to last more than 2 months cannot find "pretty nice" anything (but underpants and socks) at Walmart.

_________________
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
— Dr. Seuss
avatar
tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : Richmond, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:37 pm

You know, I had not thought about it since I have not been camping in a while, but has anyone ever notice that pants (jeans) get stiff if not washed occasionally.

Two weeks camping made very stiff jeans.

Or was that just my oddity??

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:52 pm

That's pretty interesting, MC! I'll be interested in hearing if other people's jeans get stiff after two weeks. Do you think that the ones that aren't camping but just wearing get stiff too?

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:23 pm

Good question, I have never worn them with out washing that long, except when camping, so I do not have an intelligent answer.
I may have to give it a try, if I ever vacation by myself. Don't want to frighten anyone with my old dirty self

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm

tmarie64 wrote:
We have to go to Big and Tall, but we find them.

Big and Tall doesn't work for me. I am tall, but slim. I need the right fit. In other words, the clothes should drape within an inch of the body. Anything looser and the clothes look like sails hanging on a mast. Levis are my staple jeans, in slim straight and low boot cut. They KNOW how to cut the denim for my body type.

tmarie64 wrote:
THAT being said... Kweer... buy woolite and WASH THOSE CLOTHES!

I do, except for jeans and only then in the case of spills.

tmarie64 wrote:
If you are willing to pay ten bucks for a lousy t-shirt,

You wouldn't say that if you saw the fit. I intentionally avoid wearing these particularly t-shirts sometimes, because I would rather shop in peace.

tmarie64 wrote:
you can cough up money for Woolite or Oxy-clean.

Shout is my friend.

tmarie64 wrote:
We have to pay at least 30 bucks for a dress shirt for my husband.

Don't walk, but RUN to the nearest Filene's basement, assuming one is near you. $78 Kenneth Cole dress shirts can be had for $13.99!

(BTW, I always make it a point to read your posts on the abortion boards at the old place. Good stuff!)


Last edited by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:You know, I had not thought about it since I have not been camping in a while, but has anyone ever notice that pants (jeans) get stiff if not washed occasionally.

Two weeks camping made very stiff jeans.

Levis, Calvins and Kenneth Cole stay soft like butter plus all three know how to cut the fabric for thin guys. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have washed the Kenneth Cole jeans since I bought them. (Was that in June?) The indigo color is as deep as the day I bought them, but I have only worn them maybe three times for short periods of time. They are downright DANGEROUS to wear in public with a fitted T, although the Levis bring more comments on the caboose!

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by HappyKweer on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:09 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Dot... No, tall men, tall women, and anyone who wants clothes to last more than 2 months cannot find "pretty nice" anything (but underpants and socks) at Walmart.

Didn't mom jeans begin at Wal-mart?



What could possibly be more flattering than a waistline set that high?

HappyKweer

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-09-14
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:28 am

tmarie64 wrote:Dot... No, tall men, tall women, and anyone who wants clothes to last more than 2 months cannot find "pretty nice" anything (but underpants and socks) at Walmart.

I beg to differ. I've bought quite a lot of very good, inexpensive clothing at either Sam's or Wal-Mart. We've gotten a few things that didn't hold together for long but not many. If you haven't much money and need more assurance of durability, you scrounge the racks at Goodwill or upscale thrift shops such as Junior League's for the better labels.

I think it's obvious that anyone with special requirements like extra length pants could scarcely find suitable clothing at Wal-Mart.
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:46 am

HappyKweer wrote:

Didn't mom jeans begin at Wal-mart?...

What could possibly be more flattering than a waistline set that high?

High-waisted jeans are much more flattering on anyone, male or female, heavy in the hips and thighs. Drop the waistline much at all and you simply draw attention to a "blubber butt."

Few adults are built like you, HK.
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: Energy/Money Saving Hints...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum