What is really meant by "made in his image", anyway?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is really meant by "made in his image", anyway?

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:41 pm

I was pondering the ideology. Soneone had used this as a discussion point when talking about how "God is hurt when we sin". I responded that if "God can be hurt by our action, then he can't be omnipotent". It would mean that God had a weakness. Also, I said that the person was "placing human emotional characteristics on God, which are not provable anyway". So, thus began my ponderings...

We have heard it said many times, that "we are created in God's image", but because someone wrote that we are, . . . does that make it completely true? And just how COULD we be made in any TRUE "image" of a God?

I don't see how you can say that everyone is. I know I'm not. There are many things that the Bible said that God called for that I would never, . .. nor would most people, if they were honest with themselves. The problem is, when it seems "holy", people are eager to jump on the "made in his image" bandwagon, but when other questionable things are brought up, the response is, "oh, that was for another time", "we can't know the mind of God", "who are we to question God", etc. Those are, of course, ways to attempt a rationalization of actions that the person stating these things wouldn't ever actually do.

Knowing that I would not do many things that are SAID to have been stated by God, . . . such an argument is of no value to me anymore. I am free of such ways of thinking.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Re: What is really meant by "made in his image", anyway?

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:07 pm

That's one reason why I'm into occultism.

The philosophy that I am responsible for myself and how I live my life works for me. There's no "savior" to play scapegoat when I screw up, no accompanying fiction that my weaknesses and mistakes are already forgiven.

Instead, I am obligated to consider the possible consequences as best I can before choosing to act and must deal with the results however they play out.

In short, I'm not attempting to answer your question because I think the concept is a ridiculous one for many of the reasons you identified.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:05 am

we are complex

and are shadows of the greater complexity of the Divine
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:36 pm

I think that people make God in their own image, and not the other way around.
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 am

And while we're at it: How can anything, or anyone, be the visible image of an invisible God?

But people just seem to like statements like that. Even though they don't understand them or though they make no sense. For some mysterious reason they consider such random statements comforting ...

And I agree with Chok. We have made the Gods in our image.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:05 am

Celsus wrote:And while we're at it: How can anything, or anyone, be the visible image of an invisible God?

But people just seem to like statements like that. Even though they don't understand them or though they make no sense. For some mysterious reason they consider such random statements comforting ...

And I agree with Chok. We have made the Gods in our image.

or it means some other than what you think -it's clear fro reading other passages in the OT that for most of the history of Israel they interpreted that man has the power to effect his environment in way reminiscent of God

we trinitarians believe man was created triune: physical, spiritual and a mind that connects the two
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 am

I've come to the place where I do not see "his image" that we're supposed to be "made in" as anything physical. I believe it was moreso the characteristics. And that is where I can not see myself as the OT God's image. Not with all that was demanded of the people. . . . all the horrible things done. I would never do such things!
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top