Bulbs and Europe

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by Beribee on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:52 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Must resist urge to debate gun control and derail yet another thread.....aargh!

Ok, I'm better now. Wink

*scratches the bear's tummy* There, there now, all, it'll be okay!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:59 am

Surprised My goodness! We went from light bulbs (really I thought it was Holland's tulips), to price & demand, to America leading the "green way", to gun bands, prohibition, & cleaner engines, now VW's! Candles were in there somewhere... but I'll keep my comments to myself only to say History does repeat itself!
Anyways to answer your question gillyflower! About Americans should lead the way to a greener, cleaner future for Mother Earth. Well really I think we do, & have...to the rest of the world (especially Europe) we are fondly called "The throw away nation." Really, if it doesn't work, or suit our pocketbooks, or fancy, we get rid of it quickly (not efficiently). Just like the light bulbs, or batteries, how many of us here "properly dispose of light bulbs, batteries, medications, tires, used car oil, etc"? Come on America before we do house cleaning & bring in the new & improved, for the rest of the world, we 1st must "clean up our own act."
How do we do that? I don't know, here where I live we don't even have the cute blue recycle bins to separate our garbage from our trash! My daughter does in VA, my sister does in PA, my son does in CA! Thats unheard of here in this state. Recycle? What the hell is that? Family wise, we burn our vegetation & fallen wood, recycle our kitchen scraps, I make my own laundry detergent, clean w such things as vinegar & baking soda, & good olé fashion elbow grease, we don't buy in excess to cause waste. Why we here in LA don't recycle? Proper disposal of America's pollutants? No, Thank You. LA & MS along with NJ must kindly decline again being the rest of America's dumping ground. (Hell, I can't get the local drug store to take back MIL's not used anymore meds....guess I should sell them & make a profit, instead of flushing em down the toilet & polluting our fish?) Ah the American way! Profit, profit & more profit, & screw the rest.
As far as light bulbs, we try, try & try again. I'd rather do the candle thing like ALL! I like getting up before sunrise, doing what I need to do, & actually settling down for the night when the moon rises! Call me old fashion, call me strange, call me throwed off, but in our own ways American's left to their own thought process do care about our planet's future, now if we could get big business along w ignorant locals to think the same way. Rolling Eyes
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:47 am

Beribee wrote:

Did you know bears purr?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Nope, banning is not the answer for most things. We've all had our say on bans of different things.

I bought a nice lamp of this style.

I use the little frosted chandelier bulbs. I'll be stocking up, for sure!

Other than this lamp, I've switched all the bulbs to CFCs in my apartment. Yes, they obviously suck in the bathroom (and I don't even put on makeup in the bathroom! Anybody who ever has in florescent lights knows what that's like.) It's a money-saving measure, I prefer to just pay upfront for the expensive bulbs and have a cheap monthly power bill.

On my farm, I leave 4 CFC bulbs on 24/7 so it looks occupied. The power bill runs about $12 a month.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:42 pm

I have an all electric mobile home... Those bulbs don't make one bit of difference. At least not a noticeable one.
I flat refused to buy'em for the longest time because they only had 60 watt.
When 100 watt came out, I switched. However, there are places that they won't work, not yet anyway...the chandelier over my kitchen table, inside my oven, my fridge, and my freezer.
My daughter bitches about the light in the bathroom, but since I turn it on 5-10 minutes before she gets up, it's not an issue for her any longer. Plus, she's the greenest person in the house, so she toughs it out.
I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting rid of the chandelier, too. It's a dust and grease MAGNET, and is so hard to clean. But then, my husband walks into it, hits his head, almost on a regular basis, and the "piss-myself-laughing" factor is almost enough to outweigh the p.i.t.a. factor of cleaning it.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I would opt for an incadescent in your bathroom. Wink

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Tell your daughter Ted the hound will find her cuter if she applies her makeup in the proper lighting. Wink

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:00 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Beribee wrote:

Did you know bears purr?

No, but try humming a few bars of it.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:03 pm

The new bulbs work... I just have to turn it on and give it time to warm up before she gets in there.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:08 pm

Don't ever shine a fluorescent at a drag queen or you'll get a shoe in the face. Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:18 pm

OK, TED fess up tell us your drag queen stories
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:26 pm

Before my ex transitioned she was a drag queen. The fear of florescent lights carries over into the next life regardless.
LoLFlag

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:07 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I think we should all use candles when necessary, and otherwise live in the dark.

Very Happy

I lived on just candles for well over a year when I lived without electricity. Frankly, it was romantic and wonderful. Granted, I often caught my long hair on fire when I'd lean over the candle to brush my teeth (argh!) but the smell goes away relatively quick. Like Meatloaf said, "It was long ago and it was far away and it was so much better than it is today." I would go back to living without power happily and easily, ...minus the hot water.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:10 pm

At least once a year I will go camping with nothing more than a bed roll and a few gallons of emergency water (I don't feel like dying) just to get an appreciation for how good I have it.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:26 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Must resist urge to debate gun control and derail yet another thread.....aargh!

Ok, I'm better now. Wink

All. If you read my post the only thing I said was that I personally would like to see guns banned. In otherwords I was just giving my personal opinion. I didn't advocate for a ban. And I said that it would never happen because guns have been a big part of our culture since before we ever became a Country. And I also said that new laws aren't needed when the laws we presently have aren't being enforced fairly. Yes, I'm anti guns. But only for myself, not for anyone else. And you know my background so you should know why I'm against guns for myself & will never own one. Please my friend reread what I said. Smile

Here, I pulled up what I said in that post.

Gilly. I agree with Tmarie. Oh she & I have disagreed on many things as she herself will tell you. But as you said in another post banning things is a slippery slope. What would come next. There are those that would want to ban all religions except for the ( you name it here ) religion. And as someone else said why not then ban all cars except for Hybrids. Better yet are Electric Powered since they don't use carbon based fuels. Yes, there are some things that should be banned & we have laws enacted already to ban things like aerosols, et cetera. Personally for myself I would love to see guns banned. But thats just me. Besides which the laws about guns that we do already have aren't being enforced very good. And no matter how I might feel, guns have been a part of the American culture since before we ever became a nation. All we have to do is look back at Probition. We know it made the problem worse, not better & led to increased violence & crime. History is rife with similar actions caused by banning. No my Lady. Banning isn't the answer

Last edited by warlordofks on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors)

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:43 am

My friend, I know it is just your opinion, that's the reason that I responded in such a way as I did. If I thought it was anything but, you would have gotten a five page dissertation on why guns should not be banned. You don't have to trust me on that, I've done it before.

Rest assured, I will never get upset with you or anyone else over a difference of opinion. What would life be like if everyone agreed?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:43 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:My friend, I know it is just your opinion, that's the reason that I responded in such a way as I did. If I thought it was anything but, you would have gotten a five page dissertation on why guns should not be banned. You don't have to trust me on that, I've done it before.

Rest assured, I will never get upset with you or anyone else over a difference of opinion. What would life be like if everyone agreed?

all

Thanks All. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:03 am

I love it.
My dad is real mad about it though. He doesn't believe in global warming and is growling over this.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 am

I can't wrap my head around those who do not believe in global climate change.

It is evident in the seasons, that are different then they were just twenty years ago. My room mate grew up in Connecticut where it used to snow when he was a child.

Whether you disagree or not with what is causing it, It is happening. Interesting.

Maya no insult intended, it just baffles me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:48 am

It certainly is happening- those of us with seasons really see it. These days I'm leaning more toward natural cycles than human interference though. According to scientists with the indicators we have, we're supposed to get a mini-ice age in about 2050 to last a few years. Those of us who are alive by that point will be praying for incadescent bulbs to hold our hands over. Wink

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maya3 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 am

Maine,
no offense taken, I'm as upset about as you.
I couldn't even comment on what he said when I saw him, because it makes me so upset.

Maya
maya3

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 am

Yes I have heard it is suppose to be natural causes.

Pouring poisons into the atmosphere and into the ground can't possibly have any affect on anything can it?

That was NOT aimed at you Tiger. Or anyone else here.

It just amazes me.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:56 am

Oh I agree of course that harming the environment is bad. That's what we do, as humans; we're parasites. Like Itty had taught us, we kill others to live. We destroy whatever environment we touch - like other animals- because we have to live somewhere, we have to eat something, we have to wear something. The balancing act, I suppose, is trying to kill and destroy only what we have to, and try not to do it just for kicks.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Exactly Tiger, it is a balancing act. And for too many decades Human beings have been pushing everything off balance.

We do not have to do that, we can live more sustainably and people can still kill to eat, it is in the way it is done.

I forgot to say good Morning, Good Morning Tiger Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 pm

I agree, and you of course know that I still hold to the idea that there are way too many humans around to begin with and we're (past?) due another Black Death.

Good morning honey. Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top