Bulbs and Europe

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 am

I was in an old apartment but I had my electric bill cut by a fourth when I made the switch. I am in an energy efficient house now that is twice as large but my bills are lower than they were in the apartment!

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:52 am

My 15 year old isn't the "typical"... She's actually very easy to get along with. I hate the way the bulb flashes bright, then goes dim, then takes at least 5 minutes to get back to bright.
And, as I said, my electric bill hasn't dropped noticeably yet. I'm guessing it's because the p.o.s. bulbs take so long to reach their brightest level.

I'm still waiting to see what they do about appliance bulbs. Oh, and outside lights.

_________________
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
— Dr. Seuss
avatar
tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : Richmond, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 am

You know, if you don't notice a change in electricity use, you might as well switch back to the old bulbs and save yourself all the frustration you feel. Maybe later on, down the road, there will be products that you like better.

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

gillyflower wrote:I brought this up at work, the change Europe is making, and the comment there was that it figures that Europe was taking steps that the US, a supposed world leader in saving the planet, won't, or doesn't do first, if at all. Why is it, do you suppose, that we Americans won't lead the way in mandating small cars or a change in bulbs or health care or anything else that might put us out a bit?
Excellent question, I wonder, but my answers and not polite, so I will stay silent this time.

I do have one of these savers in my outside light, and expected it to stop working last winter and it continued in spite of very frigid temps, so at least they are good in some ways.

That it stayed working is contrary to the label which gives temps that it should not be used below. It worked anyway. That was nice.

I do not like them, but I really do want to do my part to help the planet so, I will use them, until the LED's come in my price range, then I switch to those.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 pm

tmarie64 wrote:My 15 year old isn't the "typical"... She's actually very easy to get along with. I hate the way the bulb flashes bright, then goes dim, then takes at least 5 minutes to get back to bright.
And, as I said, my electric bill hasn't dropped noticeably yet. I'm guessing it's because the p.o.s. bulbs take so long to reach their brightest level.

I'm still waiting to see what they do about appliance bulbs. Oh, and outside lights.

I was just funning with you about your 15 year old. In all truthfullnes my daughter has never been a problem. She was in a accelerated curriculum. When she started Kindergarten she was reading on a 5th grade level. PB&A & I started teaching her to read at age 3 when she expressed a interest in learning to read. She was also ahead of the kids in math skills at age 5. She wanted to drop out of school in the second grade because she was tired of helping the teacher teach the other students in math & reading. That's when we got her into the Gifted program. I agree with how the bulbs are when you first turn them on. It takes a few min. to get bright enough. I'm sold on them. But I've heard other people express the same frustrations that have been expressed here. But I disagree that incandascent bulbs should be banned. I'd rather have people allowed to have a choice of which kind they want. Beer

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Why warlordofks? If saving the planet is a priority with the government, why give people a choice whether they want to do their part towards saving it?

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:44 pm

I think we should all use candles when necessary, and otherwise live in the dark.

Very Happy
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Cap, where are you finding LED bulbs? I can find the LEDs on strands and whatnot, but I haven't actually seen them in bulb form.

_________________
Remember one thing about democracy. We can have anything we want and at the same time, we always end up with exactly what we deserve.

Edward Albee
avatar
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3199
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Oklahoma

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:13 pm

I don't think the incandescents should be banned either. There are lamps that the new ones won't work in. And they don't come in ANY thing that looks good in a chandelier. Frankly, I don't want those ugly ass twisted bulbs hanging from over my dining table.
We don't sit down to eat together very often, schedules, my work, his work, their friends.... and when we do, we want it ALL to look nice.
Because, gilly, they are not as good as they need to be right now. And, if you advocate banning the incandescents, what's next? Banning all but hybrid cars, forcing everyone to buy hybrids or walk?
Banning all but healthy foods in the grocery store?
Requiring that everyone keep their thermostats set at 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter... and having random inspections to make sure they do?
Rationing electricity? Require everyone to buy reusable shopping bags and not allowing them to shop if they don't?

Yes, some of these are silly suggestions... but it's just a matter of time, if they take away one choice, until they take away another...and another...and another...

_________________
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
— Dr. Seuss
avatar
tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Posts : 1903
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : Richmond, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:33 pm

68 in the winter? What you want to do, catch me on fire?
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by Davelaw on Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:39 pm

I like them-they have really helped control my electric bill and the US leads through product sales; not through mandated laws

all you need to do in the US-is build a better mouse trap-if you build it they will come
avatar
Davelaw

Posts : 1684
Join date : 2009-07-18
Location : Houston Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:25 pm

tmarie64 wrote:I don't think the incandescents should be banned either. There are lamps that the new ones won't work in. And they don't come in ANY thing that looks good in a chandelier. Frankly, I don't want those ugly ass twisted bulbs hanging from over my dining table.
We don't sit down to eat together very often, schedules, my work, his work, their friends.... and when we do, we want it ALL to look nice.
Because, gilly, they are not as good as they need to be right now. And, if you advocate banning the incandescents, what's next? Banning all but hybrid cars, forcing everyone to buy hybrids or walk?
Banning all but healthy foods in the grocery store?
Requiring that everyone keep their thermostats set at 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter... and having random inspections to make sure they do?
Rationing electricity? Require everyone to buy reusable shopping bags and not allowing them to shop if they don't?

Yes, some of these are silly suggestions... but it's just a matter of time, if they take away one choice, until they take away another...and another...and another...

Nothing will ever be as good as it needs to be right now, Tmarie. I threw that out there because I think that it is pretty much a given that even if things are good for people or the planet, unless their are laws passed, people won't use seat belts (still a lot of people won't and take the ticket) or child seats or whatever. And yes, why not force everyone to buy hydrids or the companies to produce cars that use 40 miles or better to the gallon?

It's a very slippery slope isn't it? Ban one thing (like cars that don't have seat belts) and the next thing you know they have taken away your right to buy leather shoes. Or maybe the world might be a little better place, couldn't it? I don't mean to be snarky but maybe we need to think about what we want the world to be like in the future.


Last edited by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:30 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Cap, where are you finding LED bulbs? I can find the LEDs on strands and whatnot, but I haven't actually seen them in bulb form.

Here is one place that is almost afforadable for me

http://www.besthomeledlighting.com/product/PAR30-120-E27-W-60-W

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:32 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I think we should all use candles when necessary, and otherwise live in the dark.

Very Happy
You little stinker you Very Happy

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:35 pm

I think a lot of people live in the dark!

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:47 pm

To me, it really is funny. The greenest things that we can do are really the oldest ones.

Barring that, it seems that things that use the least amount of energy, also cost the least. Yeah, there are the hybrid cars, but they make some conventional cars that come pretty darn close or even do better for the type of driving I do, and cost a lot less. I'm usually on the highway, if I am driving at all, why would it make sense to spend 25K on a hybrid that gets 40 mpg highway, when I can get a similarly sized conventional car that gets 50 mpg highway, and costs half as much? What about some of the diesels that companies like VW are bringing to the market that can get drastically better? 78 is where my AC is now, and 68 would be an increase of 6 degrees for the heat. I do that because it costs less money, not because it is "green"

all
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:23 pm

yes I have seriously considered some version of diesel from VW, they are work horses and get great mileage.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:yes I have seriously considered some version of diesel from VW, they are work horses and get great mileage.


I think that the Diesel Golf is coming back in 2010 or 2011. Also, since Fiat bought Chrysler I here that there are plans to sell both Fiats and Alpha Romeos here.

all
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:17 pm

THat would be nice. I have a friend (acquaintance) , who works with all types of engines and we have discussed at length the benefits of diesel cars. And how they really are cleaner in the long run, being more efficient. They seem to last longer as well.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Gilly. I agree with Tmarie. Oh she & I have disagreed on many things as she herself will tell you. But as you said in another post banning things is a slippery slope. What would come next. There are those that would want to ban all religions except for the ( you name it here ) religion. And as someone else said why not then ban all cars except for Hybrids. Better yet are Electric Powered since they don't use carbon based fuels. Yes, there are some things that should be banned & we have laws enacted already to ban things like aerosols, et cetera. Personally for myself I would love to see guns banned. But thats just me. Besides which the laws about guns that we do already have aren't being enforced very good. And no matter how I might feel guns have been a part of the American culture since before we ever became a nature. All we have to do is look back at Probition. We know it made the problem worse, not better & led to increased violence & crime. History is rife with similar actions caused by banning. No my Lady. Banning isn't the answer. Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 pm

speaking of bans, you can buy VW diesels in Maine.
You can go to New Hampshire and buy it and legally bring it back and register it, but you can not buy one from a dealer in Maine.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:44 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:speaking of bans, you can buy VW diesels in Maine.
You can go to New Hampshire and buy it and legally bring it back and register it, but you can not buy one from a dealer in Maine.

Because it is a diesel, or because it is a Volkswagen?

_________________
Remember one thing about democracy. We can have anything we want and at the same time, we always end up with exactly what we deserve.

Edward Albee
avatar
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3199
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Oklahoma

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:11 pm

That is an interesting question.

The reasoning is because it is diesel. They use the Diesel is bad excuse. Disregarding the fact that they are more efficient and can use bio deisel if it is available.

But of course there are plenty of trucks that are in Maine that run diesel, so one does wonder. It has been this way for several years now. I do not know when that particular law was passed.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 am

Must resist urge to debate gun control and derail yet another thread.....aargh!

Ok, I'm better now. Wink
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 am

It's probably because it is a diesel passenger car. In the late 70's/ early 80's, GM made some truly horrendous diesels that were smelly, dirty, and underpowered. The new diesels I hear are nothing of the sort, but they are still stuck with the stigma of those old ones.

I like the Jetta myself, but I am also thinking of the golf that they are going to re-introduce as a diesel next year or so.

There is nothing wrong with my truck though, it'd be better to keep that really.

all
avatar
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Posts : 2700
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Some where in middle america

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum