Bulbs and Europe

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bulbs and Europe

Post by gillyflower on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Several countries of course have already done this - not the USA of course! - but now Europe:

Europe's Ban on Old-Style Light Bulbs Begins
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/business/energy-environment/01iht-bulb.html?_r=1&src=twt&twt=nytimes

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Bulbs and Europe

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:05 pm

I know a lot of people have been stocking up incadescents. I love CFC bulbs because of the low energy costs - I use them whenever I can because I love a low power bill. But I also know that they're incapable of producing, at least for now, quality light. For people who read a lot, or paint, or take and display photographs, incadescents (or something equivalent) are a must. I also use "Sunshine" incadescent bulbs for SAD during the winter, when I require more sunlight and they produce $10-20 light bulbs that offer the same hormone-regulaing effect as sunlight.

I think, if they're going to try to regulate people's light usage, they should reward houses that have a certain percentage of CFC's versus Inc's. CFCs work great on the porch, in lamposts outside, in closets and washrooms and other places that don't require quality light. People who read a lot though, or sew or do art and so on really need better quality, or else they'll be in glasses much faster from the eyestrain.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Okay, this is from my daughter, the lighting designer. It is very possible to find decent CFCs. Look for bulbs that are less than 3000. Try out different kinds of bulbs and notice the light. Consider using brown or tinted shades, too. Also, do get the special CFCs for adjustable lights. The others won't work well.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

I thot this would be a thread about Tulips. Sad
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:24 pm

gillyflower wrote:Okay, this is from my daughter, the lighting designer. It is very possible to find decent CFCs. Look for bulbs that are less than 3000. Try out different kinds of bulbs and notice the light. Consider using brown or tinted shades, too. Also, do get the special CFCs for adjustable lights. The others won't work well.

Awesome - she knows a lot more about different types of CFCs than I knew existed. I hope they can make them more affordable soon.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:25 pm

Davelaw wrote:I thot this would be a thread about Tulips. Sad

LOL!

I'm sure Gilly won't mind a Holland tulip photo.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:53 pm

I think it is becoming an issue of industry outpacing regulation. I know walmart at least is not carrying ICDs anymore.

There is a bit of talk about mercury scare and what not, but I don't know how much of that is scare tactics and how much is truth.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:55 pm

I've been told they're just like regular florescents- if you break one, get away so you don't inhale the vapors, come back and carefully clean it up.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Not to mention that they make a lot of mess, and that powder is hard to get out of felt like you find on a pool table?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Not to mention that they make a lot of mess, and that powder is hard to get out of felt like you find on a pool table?

all

If you'd stop getting into bar fights and knocking the bulbs out of the lamps jumping off pool tables you wouldn't have that problem. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:09 pm

Suspect

geek
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 pm

Davelaw wrote:I thot this would be a thread about Tulips. Sad
Actually so did I Sad

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:52 pm

By the by, I have completely changed over. But I have to say as much as I want to save the planet I hate the bulbs. They hum, all of them, and I can hear it, I see the flicker too, which bugs me. and gives me a headache if I am not careful.

I do understand Europe's concerns. But as much as they bug me. I still converted over to them
I wish L.E.D bulbs were cheaper. I like them better, but that is years away, from being bright enough and affordable enough.

However I am converting to L.E.D's for my holiday lights.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:35 pm

confused Add my name to y'all's list Dave & MC! Europe/Bulbs? Silly me...I thought Holland & Tulips! Suspect
Light bulbs? Really Gilly I worry scratch wonder about you darlin! But I too heard something on the news about the big switch! They are not going to make anymore incadescent lights after some yr....2012 maybe? No thats a different thread all together now! Laughing
Last yr. I tried to sneak the new fangled LIGHT bulbs in starting w the bedroom lamps (John can't read anything unless its 10' away & thats w glasses) BUT he sure saw the difference in the lighting! I did also, but I thought it was just my eyes! So TED, your on to something there about the reading thing! Hmmm who'd of thunk? John was upset! Back to the old ones! Well I moved them into the livingroom, he hasn't noticed a thing! My next batch I'm thinking of the laundry room, & bathrooms! bounce !
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 am

Really, look at the box. Get the ones that are less than 3000. It makes a huge difference. My daughter had me buy all kinds of them and we played with them, figuring out which ones were best and some we just had to chuck. Don't give up!

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:05 am

They are a HUGE pain in the ass to dispose of. I work at Lowe's and when one gets broken in the box it's a huge p.i.t.a. to clean up.
On top of that, I can't afford to pay those prices to "experiment". I'm fortunate, I work in a place where I can see the different ones "in action", and can choose that way. Except they suck in the bathroom... they get brighter as they warm up, which is not something the 15 year old likes when she's trying to put on make up at 6:30 in the morning. I turn on the light, now, 5 minutes before she gets up, so it'll be done warming up when she gets in there.
I have to wonder, as one who already has lung problems... How safe are these bulbs? Is the little bit of electricity saved worth the long term risks? My electric bill has not significantly changed. I have all the new bulbs because of my "green" daughters... Also... what about appliances? I haven't seen these bulbs for ovens, refrigerators, and freezers.
Do I need to buy 1000 appliance bulbs so I know I'll have some for awhile after the "ban"?

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 am

Yes TMarie you may have to stock up. I wish we could lead a push for the L.E.D. bulbs anyone notice them? The are nice light, but you need a bunch together. I have heard they are safer and use less power then the the saver we are being forced to change over too.

And they don't hum.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:35 am

And they last forever.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:And they last forever.
Yes Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:52 pm

LEDs do... the "savers" don't. I work the return desk and last night alone I had to refund 4 different customers who bought those "5000 hour" bulbs and the bulbs quit after 2 weeks. One woman returned hers after 3 days.
At 11 bucks for 2 bulbs.... That's outrageous. Which is why we refunded them.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:14 pm

Problem with LED's is I have not found them cheap one place it is 90 dollars for one bulb, they may last forever, but I don't have the 90,
but the bulbs come in cool white warm white and soft.

I wish they were 15 a bulb I might be able to afford that

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

Give it time, they'll get there. Probably some time after they've figured a way to get them to wear out faster, but they'll get there.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:36 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Give it time, they'll get there. Probably some time after they've figured a way to get them to wear out faster, but they'll get there.

all

LOL...I was thinkin' the same thing, all!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 am

I brought this up at work, the change Europe is making, and the comment there was that it figures that Europe was taking steps that the US, a supposed world leader in saving the planet, won't, or doesn't do first, if at all. Why is it, do you suppose, that we Americans won't lead the way in mandating small cars or a change in bulbs or health care or anything else that might put us out a bit?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 am

tmarie64 wrote:They are a HUGE pain in the ass to dispose of. I work at Lowe's and when one gets broken in the box it's a huge p.i.t.a. to clean up.
On top of that, I can't afford to pay those prices to "experiment". I'm fortunate, I work in a place where I can see the different ones "in action", and can choose that way. Except they suck in the bathroom... they get brighter as they warm up, which is not something the 15 year old likes when she's trying to put on make up at 6:30 in the morning. I turn on the light, now, 5 minutes before she gets up, so it'll be done warming up when she gets in there.
I have to wonder, as one who already has lung problems... How safe are these bulbs? Is the little bit of electricity saved worth the long term risks? My electric bill has not significantly changed. I have all the new bulbs because of my "green" daughters... Also... what about appliances? I haven't seen these bulbs for ovens, refrigerators, and freezers.
Do I need to buy 1000 appliance bulbs so I know I'll have some for awhile after the "ban"?

!5 year olds don't like anything. They already know more than us old fogeys. As I used to tell my daughter. "You may have youth & enthusium on your side but I have old age & treachery on mine. Now that she's 24 she says she should've listen to me back in her childhood. Oh the irony of youth. Hysterical

But on this topic. I switched almost two years ago & haven't had any problems. And my electric bill went down $50.00 a month. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top