Grammar gripes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grammar gripes

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:47 am

Dammit, people! I-T-S the possessive, meaning "belongs to it", is spelled just like that...its.

The absolute ONLY time one ought use I-T-apostrophe-S is when the meaning is "It is." (Well, actually, there are a few arcane exceptions, but I've not seen one of those contexts here yet.)

Yes, I admit it readily...I used to teach English, and this particular misuse frankly sandpapers my eyeballs every time I see it. So, humor me, will you please and use the appropriate form?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Grammar gripes

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:51 am

Oops. Did I fubar?

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:11 pm

If you're aware that you might have, TED, that's a good step toward avoiding annoying the hell out of me.

The "fubar" sorts usually don't care enough to ask if they might be offenders.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Laughing To be honest the it's/its drives me INSANE if I'm the one doing the reading. Because it obviously jumps out at me. The reason I mess up when I do is because I get distracted when posting. This one took me 5 minutes to post because of two phone calls and a guest checking in. silent

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Frankly, I've seen "it's" used for every meaning so often anymore that I've caught myself more than once typing that when the meaning clearly demands "its."

I won't let myself go beyond mention of how very much I detest "AWESOME!"
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Awesome point, Dot! Whistling

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Aw, I think "awesome is pretty far out.

Very Happy

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:33 pm

LOL! Crosspost with gilly.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 pm

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Sad Shocked Razz (Wonder if I should go back & read ALL of my posts, teacher!) DotNotInOz, really, I'm contemplating this! I am the worst speaker & writer of the English language! I was good in school, but out & about on the streets of Pittsburgh.... Rolling Eyes I'd get all confused & start speaking Pittsburghese! (I continue to tell people about that "H" at the end! And its Pitts burgh...NOT Picks burg!) Then after awhile, I thought who the hell speaks English anyways? Hell don't get around Italians/Irish/Germans/Russians/Jewish Yiddish or Slovaks of any kind...& expect English to flow fluently! Really! Americans are the worst/best at slang, borrowing from other languages, melding words together & then using entirely different words for the same meaning concerning regions/geography! I believe in High School, I started writing/typing the way I speak....woe is me. I know, my English teachers loved to hate me! After joining the Army & living in AL, IN, OK, TX, Europe, & NH...visiting Mexico & Canada...& residing in Louisiana (there's a word that Americans need to pronounce correctly)! Along with the Spanish /French influence & the Cajun slang of French....I'm so screwed up now, well y'all know that! I don't believe I'm the culprit of the "its/it's" though! Anything else in the English language spoken or written you can blame me! Wink
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:25 pm

Oh, I could go on about this for hours!!
Let's see.....
1. "their" and "they're"... Annoys the HELL out of me when it's misused.
2. Those people who say.. "Massatusetts"... I just want to grab them by the throat and scream "CH DOES NOT MAKE THE T SOUND!!!"
3. When "wash" is pronounced "warsh".
4. "Acrost" for "across"... my husband does this and it drives me INSANE. He's very careful about it when he's near me.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:56 pm

You're scary TMarie Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:23 pm

tmarie64 wrote:Oh, I could go on about this for hours!!
Let's see.....
2. Those people who say.. "Massatusetts"... I just want to grab them by the throat and scream "CH DOES NOT MAKE THE T SOUND!!!"
4. "Acrost" for "across"... my husband does this and it drives me INSANE. He's very careful about it when he's near me.

Axe instead of ask. Wink

Actually, around here, Tmarie, wash is pronounced "warsh." It just is. My accent is thick enough that it would probably drive you absolutely insane.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:32 pm

I think if I lived in a region where everyone did it, it wouldn't even register, SG. At least, not once I got used to hearing it.
But that whole "massatusetts" thing... I'll never get over that.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:33 pm

I actually don't know if I have ever heard that one, or not.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:57 pm

I find regional pronunciation variations more interesting than annoying.

I discovered while vacationing in New England years ago that Bostonians thought I was talking about a baby horse when I mentioned that there was a very loud cult in a building less than a block from my home. We had a few moments of giving each other DUH! looks after they asked me if the colt wasn't given sufficient exercise and thus was so noisy.

There was such a subtle difference in their pronunciations of cult and colt that without context I'd never have known which word they were using. I tried and tried but simply could not produce their pronunciation of colt. They got lots of amusement from my efforts and were baffled by my continual mispronunciations of a perfectly simple word.

I say cult with a distinct "uh" sound and colt with a definite long "o" one.

Scared the hell outta me when I realized that the only person in the workshop I was attending at the time who sounded at all normal to me was from Plano, TX. The New Englanders kept remarking about my charming Southern accent when I thought THEY were the ones with the accent!

Some of them said "Massatusetts" now that I think about it.

"Illinoise" drives me up the wall sideways!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:25 pm

"then" for "than"

People mix it up a lot and it bugs me. I think I do the it's/its thing. I get mixed up with the possessive. I get irritated when people say "ewe" for you. They do that up in the mountains, it is regional. And around here people way "50 cent" for 50 cents. Uh.

This is off topic, but speaking of misunderstanding, today one of my co-workers told a man to put his card in the computer - meaning type in his card number - but the guy took him literally and shoved his card into the floppy disk drive. Then he came back to complain that the computer didn't work. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:04 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
tmarie64 wrote:Oh, I could go on about this for hours!!
Let's see.....

Axe instead of ask. Wink

Actually, around here, Tmarie, wash is pronounced "warsh." It just is. My accent is thick enough that it would probably drive you absolutely insane.

I used to tease the hell out of my Mother for that Midwestern "warsh" or Oldtimers or the Walmarts-regional variations and mispronunciations dance a very fine line.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:06 pm

tmarie64 wrote:I think if I lived in a region where everyone did it, it wouldn't even register, SG. At least, not once I got used to hearing it.
But that whole "massatusetts" thing... I'll never get over that.

I thought the correct pronunciation was TAXachussets

runs and ducks Twisted Evil
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:37 am

Razz I must confess ladies & germs, that I am a TRUE Pittsburgher! Yep, I can ad lib, & pick up almost any regional accent, talk authentically like the locals. But... my children always & will forever warn their friends of my snafu's when it comes to certain words that they will NOT understand! I do NOT say House/ it's Haus...I do NOT say Alvin/it's Elvin....I do NOT say Elvis/it's Alvis..I do NOT say hands/it's hans. I do NOT say out/it's aht.

My southern family & co-workers KNOW when I have received a call from home....the accent & familiar words are very thick for days! cyclops
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 am

I have I grew up with a woman who could not leave the "T" out of "massatusetts", made me crazy too. And So does Axe instead of ask, which is also a new york thing, my girls friends brother says "axe"

That used to drive my Mother insane Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:22 pm

My best friend, originally from Queens, hates it that we say "carmel" out here instead of "ca-ra-mel." And I realize she's right, since that is how it's spelled, so I say it like that now.

She still says "harrable" instead of "horrible" though. Laughing

My grandpa says "warsh" and "Warshington" and it drives me bonkers.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:21 pm

this is so funny. The new york accent is odd, (not in a bad way) just unusual and unmistakable, and you know the funny thing? (rhetorical) it had gone away (for the most part) for a while and is making a comeback.

It is beginning to sound like it did in the late 1940s, the way My mother describe it when she first visited the place.
In the 70s and 80s you hardly noticed it and now more and more people have it. Of course, I mean the five boroughs not the state of New York, which is like another country all together. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:58 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:this is so funny. The new york accent is odd, (not in a bad way) just unusual and unmistakable, and you know the funny thing? (rhetorical) it had gone away (for the most part) for a while and is making a comeback....

Ummm...which of the several New York accents? I'm guessing you mean "dese," "toity-toid" and the infamous "fuggedaboudit" of the Flatbush area of Brooklyn?

I'm asking because hubby's from Brooklyn, the Midwood area several miles from Flatbush, and he speaks as much without a distinctive accent as does a national news anchor. His father has some of the Flatbush accent having grown up near there, but no one else in hubby's family has much of a discernible accent.

I've noticed that there are slight but discernible differences in accent between the various boroughs. Not as much of a contrast as the distinct Flatbush accent, but some.

So, do be more specific, please.

Of course, I mean the five boroughs not the state of New York, which is like another country all together. Very Happy

Upstate New York isn't merely like another country, it IS one as far as anyone who lives in NYC is concerned. Geez, they even distinguish between "The City" (used strictly to refer to Manhattan) and "the boroughs." Somebody's yet to explain that one to me since Manhattan IS a borough!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes it is the Unique sound that is largely Brooklyn and the lower east side of Manhattan, oddly Staten Island seems to be picking up a similar accent which they did not used to have Smile

You are right about calling Manhattan "the City" too, funny isn't it? Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top