I Need To Let This Out

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I Need To Let This Out

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I use dowsing to find which pills I need to take.
Maybe you could use dowsing to figure out what I can give my Mainecoon for skin allergies? He has pulled the fur off his bottom. He keeps that up he will be naked..........Imagine a naked Mainecoon

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:56 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:
Maybe you could use dowsing to figure out what I can give my Mainecoon for skin allergies? He has pulled the fur off his bottom. He keeps that up he will be naked..........Imagine a naked Mainecoon

We have that problem. Here are the ways to fix it. Get ready to take notes.

1. The vet can give the kitty a Cortizone Shot. The problem is the vet does not like to give kitty the Cortizone shot. Shots like this are hard on the kitty's liver. Use this sparingly. Our kitty tends to need one about once every three months. We are trying to ease off of that just a bit.
2. Our vet told us to give the kitty fish pills. One a day. You know, the Omega 3 things. You can get them at Walmart for about 5 bucks. Just cut a pill open, squirt the fishy goodness into a saucer, and watch the kitty lap it up. This is good for the kitty's skin, and should make kitty less itchy.
3. There is a product called Feliway. It is kind of an aromatherapy for cats. You take this stuff, spray it all over a special, "just for kitty" blanket, and it is supposed to make him or her feel safe and loved and happy. That helps eliminate the psychological reasons for the scratching.

We have been at it for a couple of months now, and things seem to be getting better, she seems a lot happier and more secure, so I hope this helps your kitty.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:57 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:

very scary thot
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Davelaw wrote:
MaineCaptain wrote:

very scary thot

Very

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 pm

A Maine Coon is just a tamed Dire Cat.

/D&D anyone?

Last edited by WMDKitty on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:38 pm

No, but close. I was thinking D&D 3.5e.
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:42 pm

I could dowse choices like those easily.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 am

Has your vet considered the possibility of a food allergy? I keep seeing articles in my gluten-free magazine about people whose pets have chronic skin conditions of this sort.

Especially when all else fails, it generally turns out that the animal is allergic to a common food such as chicken or fish for cats. I recall one woman whose vet recommended she quit feeding all commercial foods and cook meat for the cat which she did faithfully for about a month only to have the skin problem go from hair loss to weepy and oozy. The vet recommended chicken...and guess what the cat turned out to be allergic to? As soon as all chicken was removed from its diet, the skin problem began clearing up within days.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:57 am

I actually think it is flea bite dermatitis, which the dog has as well.
This year has been so wet with rain (which I love by the way, but not the fleas) that fleas have been a problem in this area.

I think the Mainecoon is particularly sensitive to the bites, Poor guy.
And frontline does not seem to be working anymore.

I have started using different remedies now. But of course more natural things take time. I just need something to put on the itch thats safe until the problem gets less

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Ahhh, yeah, highly likely when you've had a lot of rain.

Fleas can be just nasty. I had a major infestation of them in carpeting some years ago. Kept wondering why the cats had taken to sleeping on the kitchen counters which drove me nuts until I was trying to pick a video from the floor-level cabinet one night and realized there were fleas crawling up my ankles!!!! EEEEWWW!

I hated to do it but had to flea bomb the house which was NOT fun in terms of making sure the residue was off food preparation surfaces and such.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I unfortunately can not bomb, I am attached and would have to vacat everyone in the building. In the 1980s this happened to me in another state, with my indoor only cats.

And we did bomb, I do not know how I survived that.

Now I have moved on to more natural methods after loosing a cat, (some years back) and not wanting to accidentally kill myself either.
But natural takes time.
And in the mean while fluffy cat poor guy itches and becomes more naked. I really feel bad

Edit to add, yes I remember from the 1980s incident of fleas crawling up my ankles, my neighbour has that now. I don't and am fighting tooth and nail to prevent it

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Add apple cider vinegar to water bowl....helps with stomach, uti infections, & allergies. Look it up! Oh yeah, its good for us HUMANS also!

Last edited by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added thought)
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:32 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if adding some garlic powder to the cat's food would help since it's likely flea-bite dermatitis. Fleas HATE biting an animal that tastes of garlic. Most of the cats I've had adored garlic.

Eating lots of garlic makes a person all but immune to mosquito bites, I've found.

Of course, your resultant garlic breath and body odor can make you immune to other humans, too, which may not be so desirable.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote: Add apple cider vinegar to water bowl....helps with stomach, uti infections, & allergies. Look it up! Oh yeah, its good for us HUMANS also!
I did not know that, I wonder if I could get them to drink a little? The Mainecoon has had uti in the past and I am always on the look out for symptoms, so far so good, but prevention would be great.

And Dot, garlic, I will give him the chance to try it, He is a little finicky, but I will try anything.
To make him feel better.

Thank you you two, Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:37 pm

Fresh garlic is also good, minced up & mixed w wet food for cats, any food for dogs...I cook with it a lot in gravies & sauces so...well you get it. With the apple cider vinegar, get the organic mother bottle. Less processed. I put in 1 capful in 16oz of water for the cats. You'll notice every bug stays away from the water bowl, from ants to flys to mosquitoes, fleas etc! Well same will happen with our beloved furry friends! You can also put apple cider vinegar on dry or wet food, or rinse your pets in it (please dilute) after shampoo. Also you can put acv in bird baths to help fight algae! Everything from Birds to farm animals like it also!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

I had not heard about the ACV I did not realize how versatile it is.
We always buy the organic kind. It has a prettier label too

I have started using Diatomaceous earth. (Must be food grade or it will kill you and your pets, they add things to the non food grade, that are poisonous ).

However food grade it safe and can be added to their food as well. I rubbed so much in to the fur of my indoor/outdoor cat, that he puffed with powder when you picked him up, but it did seem to help. He was itching much less, and when combed he did not have any. No flea dirt either.

And it is safe for them to wash off, as they do.

I have sprinkled it all over the house, but I ran out and am waiting for a refill to arrive.
It works wet or dry and can be sprinkled around the yard, to prevent a host of pests.

But of course we haven't been using it long enough to eliminate every generation of the fleas yet. My neighbour who has one entire room covered in the stuff has noticed a difference, and the ones that are still alive are weakened, so they must be dying.
But as I said natural products, do not always work as fast.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:01 pm

I get the Spectrum Organic from Krogers down here!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:03 pm

Diatomaceous earth.What is it MC?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:11 pm

Looked it up, duh...so how long have you been using this product MC? Get 4 5lb bags for under $60?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Diatomaceous earth is a pwder made from Diatoms, And yes I have found it for under 60 dollars. But the shipping is always high.

Here is where I have been getting it, but they are so slow
http://www.dirtworks.net/Organic-Pest-Control.html

I have only been using it for a few weeks probably a month, just longer enough for it to give me hope.

I just found this place.
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#

I am considering them next time. I think it is cheaper if I am reading the site correctly, although that might be questionable

If not the first site is $50. for 50 pounds but the shipping is high.

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:05 pm

Nice thing is it is a food supplement as well as pest control, so I feel better about using it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Ah yes... apple cider vinegar and garlic.. imo two of the grossest stuff in history but so healthy and versatile. ACV is good to bathe in when you lose water or are having skin problems etc. Good deoderant since it kills bacteria and some backwoods nuns use it as that daily. Ya'll know about my flea nightmares, I don't think they're still all gone... some people have to totally replace floors etc. There are bug bombs that kill everything and flea bombs that are 3x the price that kill everything AND put out a chemical that delays the haching of eggs for up to a few months. Nothing can kill flea eggs and those suckers lay constantly. I think you really have to bomb, wait two days, bomb, wait two days, bomb... I put the kids in the car and drove around for an hour while we bombed, and back then they were crawling with fleas themselves. Argh! What a nightmare from hell. I admit I've been slack this year with not being able to afford Advantage but we haven't had a problem so far.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:51 pm

That is why I am starting to use the Diatomaceous Earth, I know it does not work as quickly as the bombs, but It does seem to work, and it is not toxic to you or the kids.

Last time I bombed I think I breathed almost as much in as the fleas. I don't want to do that again either.

I, like you, have had horror stories. I prefer to not have them again. It can be rubbed into the fur an not hurt the pet. It can be sprinkle around the house and not hurt them or you and kill those evil beasts (fleas).

But it has to be the food grade, not the kind they sell for swimming pools.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:00 pm

I may have to check that out if I have another infestation, universe forbid.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum