Lessons from my stomach

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Lessons from my stomach

Post by Davelaw on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:26 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
WMDKitty wrote:
Beets turn poop red. (Oh, yes, I panicked the first time I saw this phenomenon.)

That they do. I've had that experience myself since I looooove beets.

Reminds me of when I was in college and had a bladder infection. The infirmary gave me this prescription that the doctor advised me would "discolor my urine slightly."

Yeeeeaaah.

I nearly screamed the first time I peed after starting on that stuff. We're talking ORANGE...and not just orange soda or orange Kool-Aid intensity either. Think Easter egg dye solution, and you've got the image.

Even when you're anticipating something out of the ordinary, THAT was a shocker.

but that stuff is good for cleaning THC out of your system in a hurry as well
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:09 am

*files that away for future reference*
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:16 am

I think it was Squirrel who told me that if you drink a whole bunch of Monsters, you pee green.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffnzacsmom on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 am

Why would anyone want to drink a whole lot of Monsters? I don't think my heart could take it and I lived for a month and a half of Full Throttle while working two full time jobs with OT.
tiffnzacsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:24 pm

I can tell you from experience that if you ever must do anything with acetone, you do NOT want to get even the slightest bit near your mouth.

I used to work in a factory that made disposable medical products, mostly IV sets but also surgical prep trays, enema buckets and...yep...douche bags (which is why we not-so-lovingly referred to the place as the douche bag factory.)

One night, I was assigned to use acetone on some parts that were to go into a prep tray. It was a tedious job requiring much soaking and careful wiping. People who'd worked with the stuff before warned me to be sure I washed my hands and arms thoroughly before going to lunch and not to get any of that stuff near my mouth. They didn't say why, so I simply assumed it was toxic or something of that sort.

I didn't think to wash before going on break later that night.

MINT GREEN do-do...I kid you not. Scared the pee-waddies outta me until I asked someone at work who said, laughing her ass off, "Forgot to wash thoroughly, didn't you?"
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:01 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Twisted Evil OLD/ANCIENT sailors, soldiers & Security OFFICERS. Cuz these NEWBIES drink Dr. Pepper, or Diet Coke with a large order of fast food! Get w the times ya ol fart! Wink

On 2 serious notes my dear Warlord:
1) Its hell @ drill finding coffee among the young ones. (They drink the flavored kind) Us older than dirts pitch in buy a couple of pounds (of coffee) & keep our mugs full. To our horror we couldn't even depend on the cooks in the morn to brew us a pot! pale My troops know that if I don't have coffee in the AM to get me started Sarge can & will be a bitch! Twisted Evil
2) Do you get Diet Rite from RC Cola company? Its diabetic friendly, if you didn't know! bounce

I didn't mention that my choice of diet soda is Dr. Pepper, with diet coke coming in second. Now PB&A bless her sweet loving heart drinks only, "gasp, dare I say this" diet pepsi.

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:43 am

Davelaw wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:We have a fancy fuzzy logic rice cooker, so it's dump in rice, water, select the setting and wait for the little tune that says it's done.

While those things are damnably expensive, they are miraculous. The rice is perfectly cooked every time, and you can keep it warm for hours with no alteration in flavor or texture. Somehow, they even adjust for your altitude. We took ours to Santa Fe once and got perfect rice at about 7500 ft without doing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody that eats a lot of rice, I heartily recommend saving your bucks and buying one.

I had to reread

my first read said that it readjusted for attitude LOL-I want a cooker like that-hmmm they are in bad mood-lets put some alcohol in the rice

Dave, you're as bad a smartass as my hubby.

Seriously though...the things really DO produce perfect rice every time. I've even tried putting a little too much water in, and the rice STILL turned out just right.

I make a bento box lunch for hubby nearly every day...not that he's Japanese, but we got heavily into Asian eating about six years ago and found that it's much easier to eat healthy when it's Asian. People at his work think I'm some kind of Wonder Woman since we both wake up at 4:00 a.m. because he has to be at work by 6:00, and I throw together his bento box in about 30 or 40 minutes. It's not nearly such a big deal as his co-workers think. But then, most of them go next door to Mickey D's or throw some yukky frozen dinner in the nuker for their lunch, so no wonder they think I'm some kind of cooking fiend.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:59 am

warlordofks wrote:I didn't mention that my choice of diet soda is Dr. Pepper, with diet coke coming in second. Now PB&A bless her sweet loving heart drinks only, "gasp, dare I say this" diet pepsi.

Meant to add earlier that I certainly wasn't lambasting diet colas for people such as yourself who can drink only diet sodas. My reference was more to the person who orders a Double Quarter Pounder with large fries and a diet Coke because the latter is less fattening.

Even so, I think that drinking any cola daily is unhealthy. As I said, those things contain some truly nasty chemicals whether they're diet or sugary.

I've gotten so accustomed to healthier eating that I find most sodas taste like a chemical brew anymore...really nasty-tasting to me. As a teenager who guzzled the stuff, I'd never have guessed I'd reach this point, that's for sure!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:37 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
warlordofks wrote:I didn't mention that my choice of diet soda is Dr. Pepper, with diet coke coming in second. Now PB&A bless her sweet loving heart drinks only, "gasp, dare I say this" diet pepsi.

Meant to add earlier that I certainly wasn't lambasting diet colas for people such as yourself who can drink only diet sodas. My reference was more to the person who orders a Double Quarter Pounder with large fries and a diet Coke because the latter is less fattening.

Even so, I think that drinking any cola daily is unhealthy. As I said, those things contain some truly nasty chemicals whether they're diet or sugary.

I've gotten so accustomed to healthier eating that I find most sodas taste like a chemical brew anymore...really nasty-tasting to me. As a teenager who guzzled the stuff, I'd never have guessed I'd reach this point, that's for sure!

Coffee is still my preferred drink of choice. I drink it black with no sugar or cream. I'm not into those so called fancy coffee's.

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:32 am

If you get heartburn just looking at it, DON'T EAT IT.

If you're not hungry, DON'T FORCE IT.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
Willowcreek70633 wrote:
DoNotInOz...trust me hon, you haven't missed a thing when it comes to grocery shopping for young uns! I do miss those 5 though! Miss them for eating of leftovers, as late night snacks!

I'm one of those weird women who never really wanted kids. I'd have been more than somewhat challenged had I had them as I detest babies and only like little kids marginally once they can speak intelligibly. (Gimme the near-adult ones any day which is why I enjoyed teaching high schoolers, preferably juniors and seniors. Fifteen-year-old guys, I must say, have to be some of the more impossible humans on the planet!)

Well I'm glad to know I am not the only one who doesn't care one way or another about kids. Actually I think I'd like to have one, but I would probably adopt before anything else. I like babies and little kids, but I like to give them back too!

What did you teach? Teens are interesting, that's for sure!

I just know so many women my age (32) who either have babies, or want them. When I say 'want', I don't mean fleeting consideration, I mean actively trying to have one. I feel kind of left out, although that's certainly not a reason to have one. I feel like I am just the 'odd woman'...I'm also afraid that I will decide I want one later, when I am too old to have one without a lot of problems. I have a few medical conditions that could make pregnancy difficult...I wonder if my thoughts and feelings about kids are related to this, maybe God's way of keeping me from all of the pain others have had?
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:00 am

(((((Dot, Willow, and BD)))))

I'm child free. First, because of my disability. I don't know how CP effects either the baby-to-be, or the delivery process. Secondly, because they're so freakin' fragile! Third, because -- lets face it -- the walking pharmacy that I am; I am not parent material. (And I absolutely cannot handle vomit, and kids do a lot of that.)
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:53 pm

WMD,
Physical things are a big part of the concern for me too. I was in a car wreck and broke my pelvis...I have pins to hold it together, although I'm largely 'healed' now. For this reason I have to have a C-section, and probably early (not full-term). I don't know how early, and how that would affect the baby. I am also not too jazzed about the possibility of passing on my bipolar, but that's not a certainty and a lot of people with that illness are very talented in other ways. I haven't had a 'lot of episodes', but the last thing a kid needs to see is her mommy screaming and crying and talking about killing herself...or even if it's not that extreme, I don't know how good of a parent I would be. The depression stages are awful, which is which way I lean. I've been relatively stable and do well with medication, but there's no way to know that that will 'stick' a year from now.

My mother-in-law has bipolar as well...she had a substance abuse problem, like a very large percentage...they have a good relationship now but with that and it running in my family...*very* high likelihood of passing it on.

FWIW, it's a very good thing that you are thinking about your effect on a child...a lot of people don't do that when they really should.
Beautiful_Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:04 am

It would be selfish of me NOT to think about it.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:48 am

Very Happy ((Kitty & Beautiful)) I see everyone survived Thanksgiving w all the feasting! Me myself? This was the 1st yr that I actually pushed myself away from the table after just one plate! Ta da! cheers
BTW, I think that you both are very intelligent women concerning children: to want or not, to have or not! Having children of your own is NOT a prerequisite of being a Woman! Society says it is, but IMO, you can nurture, teach, love, care, protect: babies, little tykes, kids, or teens by volunteering in hospitals, rec centers, scouts, or church/school functions...those places will really open your eyes about the world of "having children of your own". Laughing
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:22 pm

BD, I taught speech and English and coached competitive speech events--things like informative speech, duet acting and interpretive reading. Also, debate.

I hear ya on not dealing well with vomit, Kitty. EEEEEWWWW! And the thought of a baby with diarrhea? That alone would be enough to put me off any desire to reproduce.

My mom always said when it's your own kid you don't mind cleaning up. I'm not so sure even she thought that the night my kid sister puked all over herself, our shared bed and me. Took mom a few hours to bathe both of us, strip the bed completely, get it remade and both us kids into clean pj's and back to sleep.

Nope. Gimme a good book and my selfish solitude any day.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:30 pm

sunny Looking back on those "mom" days....thats WHY I'm so DAMNED selfish today! Wink Cool Wink
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:46 pm

LOL Yes, I am selfish today but yes, I did my fair share of cleaning up. The truly memorable events become the stuff of family folklore as it should. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Dot, I feel grossed out when my cat pukes up his dinner...which is pretty much every day...I have no idea why he does that, I think he eats too fast. But anyway, if I get grossed out and irritated that I am the one who has to clean it up (even if my husband is in the room...I think he is grossed out too)...and when the same cat poops on the floor...then maybe it's not 'different when it is your own kid'.

Although I thought one thing was really weird. A couple of friends are the parents to an adorable 6-month-old girl...before she was born, the father mentioned that he had never changed a diaper. Another friend, a woman, said 'are you sure you want your own kid to be your first?'. Why would that even matter? This friend's (the commenter) mom also questioned the wisdom of one of our other friends' letting her three-month-old son stay at someone else's house overnight while she went to dinner...letting him stay 'overnight this soon?'...I thought that was really strange considering that the house he would be staying at was his grandparents' house. Why would that be a bad thing? Staying with Grandma strikes me as slightly different from dropping the kid off at a random neighbor's house. *confused* I guess some people are just nuts.
Beautiful_Dreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:45 am

I concur -- some people are just nuts.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:11 am

I think that the diaper changing remark was one made in jest because the first, or the first several times, a person changes the diaper on a baby it can be awkward. You want to do it just right and you don't want to hurt them by using the wrong stuff, so there is a learning curve, especially if the baby is of the opposite sex. That wears off with more practice.

Staying with Grandma and Granddad is not a bad thing at all, but perhaps the remark was made because the woman thought she was breast feeding. I don't know otherwise. It seems to me that if the mother wasn't breastfeeding the couple could use a good night's sleep for once.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:50 am

Very Happy Gilly, your so very right about the diaper changing! My SonIL got the knack of changing daughters diapers before my own daughter did! (she hated kids til she had her own Laughing ) Hope I remember how!
BTW they are coming in for the holidays lets see how Nana Dee does with the diaper changing, & the feeding, & the fussiness of almost 6month old Grand Daughter!
BD? Wonder if I still have the confidence! Rolling Eyes Haven't had a real baby in the home for 19yrs, oh my! Shocked I guess practicing on the 1st Grand child is a step into being that really cool granny that the grand kids love oh so much! If I have time maybe I'll keep y'all abreast of the news?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:53 am

gillyflower wrote:I think that the diaper changing remark was one made in jest because the first, or the first several times, a person changes the diaper on a baby it can be awkward.

I was grateful indeed that my mom had me practice on one of our old babydolls when I started babysitting. Of course, this was back in the days of cloth diapers with pins, so it was really helpful to get some practice on a "baby" that didn't wriggle before I had to try pinning a diaper on the real thing.

And the best tip she gave me was always to remember to lay a clean diaper over a boy's "wee-wee" (as she rather cutely put it) so as to prevent being "fountained."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:47 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
gillyflower wrote:I think that the diaper changing remark was one made in jest because the first, or the first several times, a person changes the diaper on a baby it can be awkward.

I was grateful indeed that my mom had me practice on one of our old babydolls when I started babysitting. Of course, this was back in the days of cloth diapers with pins, so it was really helpful to get some practice on a "baby" that didn't wriggle before I had to try pinning a diaper on the real thing.

And the best tip she gave me was always to remember to lay a clean diaper over a boy's "wee-wee" (as she rather cutely put it) so as to prevent being "fountained."

It ain't only baby boys who fountain you. My daughter did the same thing to me once when I was changing her diaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:51 pm

Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:Dot, I feel grossed out when my cat pukes up his dinner...which is pretty much every day...I have no idea why he does that, I think he eats too fast. But anyway, if I get grossed out and irritated that I am the one who has to clean it up (even if my husband is in the room...I think he is grossed out too)...and when the same cat poops on the floor...then maybe it's not 'different when it is your own kid'.

Although I thought one thing was really weird. A couple of friends are the parents to an adorable 6-month-old girl...before she was born, the father mentioned that he had never changed a diaper. Another friend, a woman, said 'are you sure you want your own kid to be your first?'. Why would that even matter? This friend's (the commenter) mom also questioned the wisdom of one of our other friends' letting her three-month-old son stay at someone else's house overnight while she went to dinner...letting him stay 'overnight this soon?'...I thought that was really strange considering that the house he would be staying at was his grandparents' house. Why would that be a bad thing? Staying with Grandma strikes me as slightly different from dropping the kid off at a random neighbor's house. *confused* I guess some people are just nuts.

Yes, we Grandparents are pretty good at being able to take care of our infant Grandkids including changing diapers, feeding them, & spoiling them rotten.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top