sacrificialgoddess wrote:Hormones.

Only if you don't pay them. Scared Tiptoe

:::::chases Warlord down and smacks him soundly::::

Nice try...no luck, bucko.

Hey, I was a teenager once back when Methusala was a babe in dipers. Razz

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons from my stomach

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 am

Maybe I'm just revealing my essential bias against highly processed foods, but I wouldn't curse anyone with protein powder...ewwwww!

I'd keep the kid supplied with lots of natural peanut butter and raw veggies if he'll eat those with it. Adding more fiber to his PB will slow its absorption in his digestive tract and may relieve his craving even better than merely gorging on the PB itself.

The regular brands of peanut butter are loaded with sugar and salt which can be addictive, especially for someone who's possibly hormonal, hence my suggesting natural peanut butter.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyKweer on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:04 pm

My corrollaries to the OP:

1. Shop the EDGES of the store, where meats, dairy, veggies and fruits are found.

2. Do not trust processed foods, particularly those with high fructose corn syrup, refined carbs or high sugar content.

3. Caffeine is beneficial in moderation. Exceed no more than 2 gallons of diet soda per day in the summers. Pots of coffee on the side work well with this rule.

4. High carb foods such as rice, breads, pasta and potatoes are bland and tasteless, much like eating styrofoam packing peanuts, but most especially rice. There are FAR better carb sources which won't result so easily in fat around the waist, such as beans or peas.

5. Splenda is a wonderful thing and well worth the price. It is most excellent in sweet potato pies, even if you aren't diabetic.

HappyKweer

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffnzacsmom on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:35 pm

My rapidly approaching teen boy is a terror on my veggies, going to the Farmer's Market is almost entirely for him. I didn't know people actually ate, and enjoyed, radishes just bit straight into. We also go through peanut butter like its water. Too bad there isn't a program for families raising teenage boys, their food cost is way past those of babies and toddlers and most WIC foods are devoured by young men.
tiffnzacsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:38 pm

tiffnzacsmom wrote:My rapidly approaching teen boy is a terror on my veggies, going to the Farmer's Market is almost entirely for him. I didn't know people actually ate, and enjoyed, radishes just bit straight into. We also go through peanut butter like its water. Too bad there isn't a program for families raising teenage boys, their food cost is way past those of babies and toddlers and most WIC foods are devoured by young men.

Agreed ... I've but one teen in my house, and already we go through 2 gallons of milk each week. When my next boy turns teen, I think we'll need our own cow!
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffnzacsmom on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Highland cattle, are small and cute, unfortunately zoning regulations means the city would frown on me owning one.
tiffnzacsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 pm

HappyKweer wrote:3. Caffeine is beneficial in moderation. Exceed no more than 2 gallons of diet soda per day in the summers. Pots of coffee on the side work well with this rule.

Good gods and goddesses! There actually are people who drink anywhere near two GALLONS of diet soda daily!!!???

Diet colas also provide an extremely unhealthy dose of phosphoric acid which does horrendous things not only to tooth enamel but has been linked to failure to absorb calcium.

Yeeeeccchhhh! I can't imagine drinking even a liter of that crap daily. Guess that demonstrates how much I've retrained my tastebuds to prefer healthier stuff.

4. High carb foods such as rice, breads, pasta and potatoes are bland and tasteless, much like eating styrofoam packing peanuts, but most especially rice. There are FAR better carb sources which won't result so easily in fat around the waist, such as beans or peas.

Weeeelll, I take issue with this. Nothing wrong with actual whole-grain breads...and I don't mean the crap that supermarkets call whole-grain which typically has ONE whole-grain in minute amounts and lots of unbleached white flour with caramel coloring. Get a good whole-grain or multi-grain bread from a health food store or make your own. Bread isn't that tough to make once you get accustomed to doing so, especially if you have a bread machine.

Nothing wrong with brown rice either which retains its natural fiber and is incredibly flavorful. Takes an age to cook, but you can do up a sizable batch and reheat as needed. It nukes beautifully.

5. Splenda is a wonderful thing and well worth the price. It is most excellent in sweet potato pies, even if you aren't diabetic.

I use a bit of it now and again, but I have my qualms about the stuff. For one thing, it's made from regular white sugar. That stuff is processed enough to start with, and Splenda is even more so.

I'd suggest trying something like xylitol or Stevia, both of which are produced by means of somewhat fewer nasty chemicals.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 pm

You know, if you soak your brown rice, it cooks much more quickly.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 pm

We have a fancy fuzzy logic rice cooker, so it's dump in rice, water, select the setting and wait for the little tune that says it's done.

While those things are damnably expensive, they are miraculous. The rice is perfectly cooked every time, and you can keep it warm for hours with no alteration in flavor or texture. Somehow, they even adjust for your altitude. We took ours to Santa Fe once and got perfect rice at about 7500 ft without doing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody that eats a lot of rice, I heartily recommend saving your bucks and buying one.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Tiff & Sak...how bout goats in the city? Think you could pass them off as large dogs? Whistling
Happy Krewe...you started off great about shopping the perimeter of the store (thats what I've always done! cheers ) You really lost me on the caffine, sodas, & rice bullet points though! Caffine is cool w 2 cups of coffee per day! We really don't do sodas unless its a holiday or barbque w company. Suspect Your got some splain to do Lucy! pale Breads? Give me some good rye bread/preferrably German Rye w some mustard & German bologna or some snitzel! aroused
Pasta's? Hey watch yo mouth, with the pastas! Says the resident Dago. Censored Rice? affraid How dare you talk dirty about rice to a Louisiana family? LOL! Or would you rather me make some "dirty rice", jambalaya, rice & gravy, can't have gumbo w/o rice! So lets get to cooking so your taste buds can jump for more? aroused Dot! You go chic! Rice cookers are cool, so is the old way of cooking it on the stove. I like the rice cookers, cause you can keep it warm, go straight to fridge, & then just pop you some in the microwave for quick warm up! I just love me some food, all kinds, all ways, yum yum!
The Sweet & Highs, w the Splenda's all assorted fake family, give me some sugar darlin! I rather prefer honey w my teas though. Maw Maw gets 1 packet of Splenda w her coffee, I've been checking out what you said Dot. Most interesting, & natural? Hmm? Thanks for the idea!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:We have a fancy fuzzy logic rice cooker, so it's dump in rice, water, select the setting and wait for the little tune that says it's done.

While those things are damnably expensive, they are miraculous. The rice is perfectly cooked every time, and you can keep it warm for hours with no alteration in flavor or texture. Somehow, they even adjust for your altitude. We took ours to Santa Fe once and got perfect rice at about 7500 ft without doing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody that eats a lot of rice, I heartily recommend saving your bucks and buying one.

I had to reread

my first read said that it readjusted for attitude LOL-I want a cooker like that-hmmm they are in bad mood-lets put some alcohol in the rice
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Tiff & Sak...how bout goats in the city? Think you could pass them off as large dogs? Whistling
Happy Krewe...you started off great about shopping the perimeter of the store (thats what I've always done! cheers ) You really lost me on the caffine, sodas, & rice bullet points though! Caffine is cool w 2 cups of coffee per day! We really don't do sodas unless its a holiday or barbque w company. Suspect Your got some splain to do Lucy! pale Breads? Give me some good rye bread/preferrably German Rye w some mustard & German bologna or some snitzel! aroused
Pasta's? Hey watch yo mouth, with the pastas! Says the resident Dago. Censored Rice? affraid How dare you talk dirty about rice to a Louisiana family? LOL! Or would you rather me make some "dirty rice", jambalaya, rice & gravy, can't have gumbo w/o rice! So lets get to cooking so your taste buds can jump for more? aroused Dot! You go chic! Rice cookers are cool, so is the old way of cooking it on the stove. I like the rice cookers, cause you can keep it warm, go straight to fridge, & then just pop you some in the microwave for quick warm up! I just love me some food, all kinds, all ways, yum yum!
The Sweet & Highs, w the Splenda's all assorted fake family, give me some sugar darlin! I rather prefer honey w my teas though. Maw Maw gets 1 packet of Splenda w her coffee, I've been checking out what you said Dot. Most interesting, & natural? Hmm? Thanks for the idea!

dirty rice? wash yo mouf- thats rice dressing and you better make it with gen-u-wine chicken livers
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:11 pm

OMG!!!! Dave, that's simply evile!!! You're not just a heretic, hon - you're a culinary pervert....(but of course we still love you!)

The best 'end' for chicken livers is to be gently sauteed in schmaltz, and then smushed into a smooth mass with finely-grated (raw) onion and some more schmaltz....cooled, and then spread on 'black' bread. Or matzoh.

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:59 am

bounce oooo Leah? That sounds simply delish!

Yes Dave & we can throw in some crawfish or shrimp if you like! aroused
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:37 am

DotNotInOz wrote:We have a fancy fuzzy logic rice cooker, so it's dump in rice, water, select the setting and wait for the little tune that says it's done.

I may have to upgrade. I bought a little low end rice cooker (on, warm and I have to unplug it to turn it off) because I didn't know if I would really use it. I do, as it turns out, several times a week. I like to keep cooked brown rice in the 'fridge to warm up. It will cook decent brown rice if I soak the rice first. It would be nice to put it on at lunch or breakfast and have it ready when I get home for those meals.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:21 pm

I dunno - I learned to cook rice in my microwave and it usually works just fine..... I usually add some vinegar to it, about a 'big' teaspoon per cup of raw rice. The Filipino ladies used to do that: they also taught me how to make lumpia (Filipino version of spring rolls).

Willow, that was pretty much the recipe for 'chopped liver' hte way my Grandma taught me to make it. 'Schmaltz', for those who didn't know, is renderd chicken fat - we use a bit of olive oil, too. The trick is to cook the livers very very gently, so they're just a tiny bit pink. Liver is NOT GOOD when it's cooked 'hard', nope!

The other way we like liver is calves' liver, broiled after you sprinkle it with soy sauce and powdered ginger.

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:27 pm

Well Dot. You first have to have teeth for diet soda to affect them. Me, I don't have any nor do I have dentures & still eat whatever I want to eat. Being a diabetic means I can't drink non diet sodas. However a 2 liter bottle lasts me a week. But I admit to drinking 2 pots of coffee per day. It's the drink of Sailors & Security Guards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:01 am

Twisted Evil OLD/ANCIENT sailors, soldiers & Security OFFICERS. Cuz these NEWBIES drink Dr. Pepper, or Diet Coke with a large order of fast food! Get w the times ya ol fart! Wink

On 2 serious notes my dear Warlord:
1) Its hell @ drill finding coffee among the young ones. (They drink the flavored kind) Us older than dirts pitch in buy a couple of pounds (of coffee) & keep our mugs full. To our horror we couldn't even depend on the cooks in the morn to brew us a pot! pale My troops know that if I don't have coffee in the AM to get me started Sarge can & will be a bitch! Twisted Evil
2) Do you get Diet Rite from RC Cola company? Its diabetic friendly, if you didn't know! bounce
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 am

i had hell at the grocery store yesterday; half an aisle of coffee all ground-not one package of whole beans
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:43 pm

gillyflower wrote:
I may have to upgrade. I bought a little low end rice cooker (on, warm and I have to unplug it to turn it off) because I didn't know if I would really use it. I do, as it turns out, several times a week. I like to keep cooked brown rice in the 'fridge to warm up. It will cook decent brown rice if I soak the rice first. It would be nice to put it on at lunch or breakfast and have it ready when I get home for those meals.

Do it, Gilly. Seriously. I used one of those little cheapo ones myself for several years and thought it perfectly satisfactory at only about $20. Why would I need something that costs ten times that much, I thought.

SILLY ME! Little did I know!

The fuzzy logic cookers are sooooooo much easier and simpler to use. I've even forgotten leftover rice until the next morning, and simply sprinkled a wee bit of water on it and hit the "Cook/Reheat" button. In a little over 20 minutes, it's piping hot and truly just as good as if it had been freshly made. Astounding!

They generally cook rice for eating with chopsticks (clumpy and a bit gummy), so people wanting fluffy American-style rice may have to tinker with the amount of water, type of rice used and the setting. The instruction manual for mine suggests what to do if you prefer a drier, fluffier rice.

Ours is a Zojirushi, and it gets used just about every day. You actually can keep rice warm for up to 24 hours in it, and the rice will be perfectly textured from first to last. I didn't believe it until I tried that, but they aren't kidding. The things are amazing technology.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:48 pm

Davelaw wrote:i had hell at the grocery store yesterday; half an aisle of coffee all ground-not one package of whole beans

Ooooooohhh, I feel your pain, Dave.

I prefer my coffee freshly ground, too.

Check with the Unitarian Universalist churches in your fair city. I'd bet one or more of them sell Fair Trade coffee beans (and to-die-for chocolate! MMMMMM...yummers!). That's where I used to get mine when I lived in Wichita.

Health food stores should be a good source for whole bean coffee, too. In fact, some of the best I've ever gotten came from the big chains such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:39 am

A couple of things I've learned from my stomach:

Don't force feed -- it -will- make a reappearance.

If it leads to gas, bloating, cramps, and gnarly BMs, DON'T EAT IT.

Beets turn poop red. (Oh, yes, I panicked the first time I saw this phenomenon.)
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
Davelaw wrote:i had hell at the grocery store yesterday; half an aisle of coffee all ground-not one package of whole beans

Ooooooohhh, I feel your pain, Dave.

I prefer my coffee freshly ground, too.

Check with the Unitarian Universalist churches in your fair city. I'd bet one or more of them sell Fair Trade coffee beans (and to-die-for chocolate! MMMMMM...yummers!). That's where I used to get mine when I lived in Wichita.

Health food stores should be a good source for whole bean coffee, too. In fact, some of the best I've ever gotten came from the big chains such as Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

when I'm flush I buy my beans from the local mom and pop that competes with Starbucks; but Alas, I'm not always flush- they sell a blue mountain blend thats about a quarter blue mountain
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm

WMDKitty wrote:
Beets turn poop red. (Oh, yes, I panicked the first time I saw this phenomenon.)

That they do. I've had that experience myself since I looooove beets.

Reminds me of when I was in college and had a bladder infection. The infirmary gave me this prescription that the doctor advised me would "discolor my urine slightly."

Yeeeeaaah.

I nearly screamed the first time I peed after starting on that stuff. We're talking ORANGE...and not just orange soda or orange Kool-Aid intensity either. Think Easter egg dye solution, and you've got the image.

Even when you're anticipating something out of the ordinary, THAT was a shocker.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:35 pm

I wasn't expecting it....
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down