Lessons from my stomach

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lessons from my stomach

Post by Davelaw on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 pm

1) Don't go the grocery store; when your hungry.
2) If you have to cook your meal in stages; you probably have too much food.
3) Just because its cheaper to buy in bulk; doesn't mean one has to eat that way.
4) If your going to " cheat" and cook a roast as a steak-tenderize or marinate-you are dealing with a cheaper cut of meat.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons from my stomach

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:20 am

Smile Aw, Dave! After all that hard work, you should of stopped by for baked chicken breast bedded in rice w spinach & broccoli, side of cucumber salad, & garlic bread! Dessert, was a quick dish of warmed freshly canned pears smothered in Cinnamon, Vanilla, & Nutmeg!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:44 pm

another random food/ beverage thot

coffee is more needed in the mornings but smells and tastes better in the deep afternoon
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Very Happy I totally agree with you Dave. Here at our house it is a must have in the AM, to be fully awake & ready for the day! At 4PM, its a sit down & chat "How was your day" comfort drink!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:27 am

I'd add a couple of "don't needs" from Dan Ho's book, Rescue From Domestic Perfection.

Don't buy that food storage crap like plastic this's and that's or artsy-fartsy canisters so you can display your 8 varieties of dried pasta or beans. These days, so much science goes into food packaging that the bag or box it comes in is usually the best storage container, already labeled, including directions for cooking.

All you really need to store leftover food is a cup or mug for small amounts, larger bowls or plates for...you get it. Those, a roll of foil and one of plastic wrap will do the job beautifully for stuff going into the fridge. If you freeze much, though, you'll probably want some Ziplocs or freezer paper.

What kind of sense does it make to cut up a roast chicken or turkey and put the small bits in one plastic bag or container, the middle-sized in another and large pieces of meat in a third as I once did? Answer: none at all in terms of having more stuff to wash or throw away.

Cut off all the meat and put it on a plate or platter, separating pieces by size if you like. Cover with foil or plastic wrap. Simple, and you can probably use the same platter you served if from for storage if you do.

Most of us try to keep perishable foods far longer than advisable for best flavor. If you think you must store fresh fruit or veggies for a week or longer, you're buying too much to start with...and probably wasting a lot of it.

Very few people these days live far enough from the grocery store that they can only go there once weekly. Consequently, you don't need to stash food as if preparing for a siege.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by LeahOne on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 pm

The exception to that last is anyone harboring a teenage male.... especially one who will eat ALL the salad greens he can find!

LeahOne

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 am

LeahOne wrote:The exception to that last is anyone harboring a teenage male.... especially one who will eat ALL the salad greens he can find!

Well, sure, but that means the food is being eaten as opposed to stored for who knows how long. Can't relate as I never had kids, but I was speaking more to those of us who buy more food than we will eat in a reasonable amount of time. Cooking fancier fare than my mom did hasn't necessarily been an advantage. I tend to keep all sorts of foodstuffs in case I may need a bit of this or that and often have to throw out things that got shoved to the back of fridge or freezer and are too far gone to be edible.

I just cleaned out the freezer and found almost a dozen bags of frozen veggies, half of them containing less than a cupful. Granted, I'll eventually use those little bits for hubby's bento box lunches for work, but we don't have freezer space to spare since our apartment fridge is smaller than standard-sized. That many bags is ridiculous when we live only 3.5 miles from three different supermarkets. I still buy as I did when I lived thirty miles from a decent grocery store and could only get there once weekly.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:06 pm

alien Teenage Males??? Hmmm...yes I had one of those here recently! He moved out on his own this his Senior Yr! Our youngest of 5! Everyone thinks I'm going through "empty nest" blah blah....hey after 5, John & I along with Maw Maw, are sort of enjoying ourselves!!! The 3/4's cut down grocery bills is mind boggling! If I buy pizza, everyone can have more than 1 piece & eat it slowly enough to actually enjoy it! Fresh fruits? Wow, I can actually partake of a banana, mango or kiwi, without them disappearing before breakfast the next morn! Salad/fresh veggies? I can create a nice salad because I do have carrots along w bell peppers, broccoli & all the fixins! I've noticed my garlic is lasting much longer without the heathen around (he & an older brother eats them raw) which is fine, but not the whole bag of garlic!!!
DoNotInOz...trust me hon, you haven't missed a thing when it comes to grocery shopping for young uns! I do miss those 5 though! Miss them for eating of leftovers, as late night snacks!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Funny my closest neighbour just had her 19 year old move out. Of course he moved out of his mothers home and into the home of his girl friend's mother, after they told the girl friends mother his mother kicked him out Scared

Of course she had not actually done that, although he probably read it that way, since she did tell him, he needed to shape up and start taking responsibility or get out. So he got out.

He is not quite as mature as we are hoping, but he is going to school in a couple of weeks, so he should grow in that direction, yes?.
Now poor lady only has a preteen boy to deal with affraid

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 pm

Smile The whipper snapper! I wouldn't want him for a boyfriend! Yikes! Rolling Eyes Fibbing to his girlfriends mom, like that!

After our, James's, Sr. Yr in High School, he's zipping off to the Active Army! He's very balanced & pretty heavy on the maturity side compared to his 38 & 23yr old brothers. LMAO! So he wants to see if he can make it on his own, @ a friends place (right across the street from his girlfriend!) Suspect Hysterical Well its a bigger & different High School, with a lot more classes he can pick & choose from! He only needs 2 classes to graduate, so he can actually work a 40hr week! But let me tell you hon, I don't miss his eating capacity! Raising 4 boys for the past almost 30yrs, this grocer/cook needs a break!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:
DoNotInOz...trust me hon, you haven't missed a thing when it comes to grocery shopping for young uns! I do miss those 5 though! Miss them for eating of leftovers, as late night snacks!

I'm one of those weird women who never really wanted kids. I'd have been more than somewhat challenged had I had them as I detest babies and only like little kids marginally once they can speak intelligibly. (Gimme the near-adult ones any day which is why I enjoyed teaching high schoolers, preferably juniors and seniors. Fifteen-year-old guys, I must say, have to be some of the more impossible humans on the planet!)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:55 pm

I think that everyone has favorite ages. I am not much a baby person either. I like them a lot better when they are up to telling me what is wrong.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Smile The whipper snapper! I wouldn't want him for a boyfriend! Yikes! Rolling Eyes Fibbing to his girlfriends mom, like that!

After our, James's, Sr. Yr in High School, he's zipping off to the Active Army! He's very balanced & pretty heavy on the maturity side compared to his 38 & 23yr old brothers. LMAO! So he wants to see if he can make it on his own, @ a friends place (right across the street from his girlfriend!) Suspect Hysterical Well its a bigger & different High School, with a lot more classes he can pick & choose from! He only needs 2 classes to graduate, so he can actually work a 40hr week! But let me tell you hon, I don't miss his eating capacity! Raising 4 boys for the past almost 30yrs, this grocer/cook needs a break!
You made me laugh, NO I would not want him for a boy friend either, he will I am sure, grow out of it, but he is still suffering from the teenage I know better then anyone else, and I like being waited on stage.

He'll grow up, He is off to college this September and hopefully will catch on to the way life really is,
He was spoiled, rather effectively by a family friend as a young boy and has not come to realize that the world is not there to serve him.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:29 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
Willowcreek70633 wrote:

I'm one of those weird women who never really wanted kids. I'd have been more than somewhat challenged had I had them as I detest babies and only like little kids marginally once they can speak intelligibly. (Gimme the near-adult ones any day which is why I enjoyed teaching high schoolers, preferably juniors and seniors. Fifteen-year-old guys, I must say, have to be some of the more impossible humans on the planet!)

I have twin 15 year old sons.....and I just bought a box of Twinkies the other day for a treat for the family....(I NEVER buy Twinkies). I asked that they make it past 24 hours. Within a couple of hours, one of them had eaten FOUR of them....I was so mad at him! A half gallon of ice cream is gone in one day! I had to make a rule that cereal could only be eaten for breakfast because an entire box would only last a couple of days otherwise! AAAAHHHH!!! Rolling Eyes

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 pm

Maybe you need to sell your fridge and buy a vending machine. That might put a halt to things disappearing.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:34 pm

What an awesome idea, SG! Then I could actually use the money I make off of them for something OTHER than food! LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:38 pm

One of them is seriously addicted to peanut butter. One day I figured out that he was eating it by the spoonful right out of the container....no wonder I was going through it at a lightning pace!!! (His digestive tract wasn't liking it too much either! he he he) We had to institute a "one peanut butter sandwich per day" rule...bread required! YEESH....the rules I have to create! Rolling Eyes

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:00 pm

Beribee, then, you may understand what I meant when hubby said that he doesn't like the fifth Harry Potter book and movie very much because Harry seems so angry all the time.

I said, "Ummmm...he's FIFTEEN. That's the age when perfectly decent guys become absolutely, completely uncivilized. They seem intent upon saying and doing whatever they know will piss you off most."

I often wished I could wave a wand and have sophomore guys vanish for a year. Invariably, when they came back for their junior year they could behave like rational humans again instead of infuriating demons.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Hormones.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:27 pm

See, I found 14 to be MUCH more difficult to deal with than 15 (so far anyway)!

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Beribee you have a peanut-holic on your hands Very Happy Razz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:50 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Hormones.

Only if you don't pay them. Scared Tiptoe

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:58 pm

warlordofks wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Hormones.

Only if you don't pay them. Scared Tiptoe

:::::chases Warlord down and smacks him soundly::::

Nice try...no luck, bucko.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 pm

Hold him Dot...I've got a smack for him too! Whip2

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Hysterical I tried pimping my sons out, but other girls got to them 1st!

Beribee, what is wrong w PB? Children need protein lots of it! I've been known to sneak a peek @ John (NOW his mother), grabbing for the PB jar, spoon in hand! Its a craving for protein, hon...so buy him some protein powder & he can mix it with his milk & or cereal in the morn. When Jame was playing football, lifting weights, running track, etc. thats how he got his protein! Plus they are building muscles, & groiwng & hormones yes are kicking in! So let him try some different protein powders from GNC & y'all will survive this! (hmmm, I just answered my own question with Mom). Thanks Beribee!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top