They must have Mr. Obvious writing the news now...

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: They must have Mr. Obvious writing the news now...

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:10 am

Celsus wrote:The NRA could probably use, and profit from, people like 'all' indeed!

A little bit of sanity and rationality wouldn't hurt them. On the contrary.

Even though, overall, I still think that American society worships weapons too much.

IMO, the American society worships anything material too much. Even our feel-good stuff is material. We have a great song by Dr. Hook that jokes about it, the lyric goes "We sing about beauty and we sing about truth, for ten thousand dollars a show!"

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 am

I remember that song! And every time I hear it I wish I had my daddy driving my limo and groupies throwing themselves at me too. And my face on the cover of the Rolling Stone. Isn't that the American Dream? Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:06 am

Dr. Hook was my favorite band as a kid (I know, what a loser) Laughing and while I've *mostly* outgrown the sappy songs they still had some good stuff. And then Chiyo got me turned on to the Freaker's Ball. Fame, fortune and the Rolling Stone...it IS the American Dream!

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:37 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Yup. There always has to be a victim, that's what makes it a crime. Guns and dogs prevent a lot of crime - I know a lot of felons and ex-prisoners, many of whom have been scared off a site by a 45 in the face or a dogs teeth. My maintenance man though he was scoring a big hit in a garage (lots of expensive tools) when a rotweiler IN the garage put some Jesus in 'im. Very Happy

*ahem* PROHIBITION. Some things are currently "crimes", but have no victims!
wmdkitty

http://itsmyworldcanthasnotyours.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:43 am

Aha, yes. There are those who see that as a crime against ones self, so there's still a victim, and there are those that see that as not a crime at all.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:45 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Aha, yes. There are those who see that as a crime against ones self, so there's still a victim, and there are those that see that as not a crime at all.

But I can't be a "victim" if I'm choosing to inhale! (A victim of the drug "war", on the other hand...)
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:54 am

To play devil's advocate, a lot of women say they can't be rape or abuse victims if they married their husband and choose to let him do it. Just because it's a choice - like BDSM - doesn't mean other people will see it as not hurting oneself. Many people feel the need to 'protect' people from their own selves.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 am

Uh... it's not technically rape if she consents to it, unless she's intoxicated to the point of not being able to render consent.

Abuse victims do NOT choose to be abused -- I am so sick of the "blame the victim" attitude by society, the "well, if she stays with him, she's made her choice." I'm sorry, but ... no. We stay with them because they have instilled fear and a sense of worthlessness in us, because they can and will do and say anything to make themselves look like the victim. It's been a bit over a year, now, and I'm still finding new ways he fucked me over.

Potheads? Yeah, we choose to inhale, and while I'll allow that inhaling smoke of any kind can't be, you know, healthy, it's a stretch to say that we're "victims" of marijuana. We go in knowing exactly what we're doing, and what to expect, and we're tired of being painted as these horrible monstrous criminals over a bloody harmless PLANT.

A plant!

If we're going to ban plants, I guess we should ban catnip, too, because cats get all fucked up on that, and do crazy things!
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:15 am

Pot monster! Laughing

Personally, I don't give a fruck what people do in their spare time as long as it doesn't affect or harm me or someone else. I'm very much against drunk driving, and stoned driving, and have no problem seeing people who do so rot behind bars. But whatever someone does in their own house in their own time that doesn't impede on my rights to safety doesn't really bother me. I guess that's why I'm a Lib.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:15 am

Oy, sanity! To have that would be a beautiful dream!

There is probably a bit of truth in this strip

http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/2009-08-08/

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:21 am

I don't think illegal drugs should be illegal. Pot is actually less harmful than cigarettes. Well, there is more tar and whatnot in pot, but I don't know of anyone who will smoke 60 joints a day.

Get the crack, crank and smack off the street too. Move it down to Walgreens and tax the F out of it. Then use the money to pay for the schools.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:17 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I don't think illegal drugs should be illegal. Pot is actually less harmful than cigarettes. Well, there is more tar and whatnot in pot, but I don't know of anyone who will smoke 60 joints a day.

Get the crack, crank and smack off the street too. Move it down to Walgreens and tax the F out of it. Then use the money to pay for the schools.

all

I agree.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:47 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I don't think illegal drugs should be illegal. Pot is actually less harmful than cigarettes. Well, there is more tar and whatnot in pot, but I don't know of anyone who will smoke 60 joints a day.

all

Or, in the case of pot, allow people to grow their own.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:49 pm

I honestly think that is the main problem governments have with pot. Hard to tax something you can grow in your backyard. And most folks don't have stills. Wink

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:38 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I honestly think that is the main problem governments have with pot. Hard to tax something you can grow in your backyard.

I'm not sure that's the main problem they have with it.

They don't tax the tomatoes you're growing in your garden and yet allow you to do so, right?

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:40 am

Gee, Celsus, then what is the problem?

The fact that they'd have to backtrack over decades -- nearly a century! -- of propaganda and scare tactics?
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:42 am

WMDKitty wrote:Gee, Celsus, then what is the problem?

The fact that they'd have to backtrack over decades -- nearly a century! -- of propaganda and scare tactics?

Bigotry? Misunderstandings? Honest and well-meant concerns?

Drugs are for people who are afraid of reality anyway Wink

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:49 am

Naw.

Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Besides, governmental restrictions on what an adult is allowed to consume are blatantly unconstitutional -- life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:20 am

WMDKitty wrote:Naw.

Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Thanks but I prefer reality Smile

Or 'escapes' that don't involve drugs.

Besides, governmental restrictions on what an adult is allowed to consume are blatantly unconstitutional -- life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Personally I think drugs, and also prostitution, should be legalized. But with the condition that people get taught about the consequences, physical, mental and emotional.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Good news!

Or bad.

I dunno.

The gunman is in heaven. His pastor said so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090809/ap_on_re_us/us_health_club_shooting

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wmdkitty on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:41 pm

*facepaw*

What... the hell.
wmdkitty

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:45 pm

What kitty said Rolling Eyes

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I love how he said We never espoused any sort of teaching... but we do believe once saved always saved and he's in heaven! lol. This is what I grew up with. ^

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:11 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Good news!

Or bad.

I dunno.

The gunman is in heaven. His pastor said so.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090809/ap_on_re_us/us_health_club_shooting

But doesn't he also say that 'God will hold him accountable'? Doesn't that imply some sort of punishment?

(I'm just talking from a Christian perspective now, it sounds all nuts to me)

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 am

According to the pastors statement in the article, he apparently won't get all the flashy bling in heaven the really good people get.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next