They must have Mr. Obvious writing the news now...

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

They must have Mr. Obvious writing the news now...

Post by tmarie64 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Gunman at Pa. health club was bitter over women

DUH! Ya think! Wonder where they got THAT idea... Walked into a "Women's only" aerobic class... looked around for a minute... shut off the lights and started shooting blindly.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: They must have Mr. Obvious writing the news now...

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:58 pm

In the daily paper around here, they made it a point to say that he hadn't had a date for 14 years and hadn't had sex for 19. It is kind of sad to think that if he had just used the money he spent on ammo to pay a hooker, this all could have been prevented.

Seriously though, what ever happened to the idea that if no one likes you, it's probably not due to a problem that they have?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:00 pm

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:10 pm

Well, ya know the general population is probably dumb enough to think that he probably hated lights.

Rolling Eyes

I think what actually bothers me the most here is that they made specific mention that he purchased the guns legally. Paranoid though I am, this tells me to expect a push for stricter gun legislation.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Okay, it may be obvious once you've read the story, but his motive could have been revenge against a woman who refused to go out with him, too. Sounds like he was alienated enough that he might have gone after this class simply because a female co-worker was preoccupied and failed to say, "Good morning," or something along those lines.

Seems like a pretty accurate headline to me, but then, I'm willing to cut the headline writer some slack because I know from school newspaper experience how damnably difficult it can be to write a decent headline.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm

You know what's really creepy? I work with a guy that really, really reminds me of that guy.

Then again, he didn't go after co-workers.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Interesting story. While I can sympathize with his position, in terms of how he feels, there's a point where you really just have to get a grip and worry about other things (like, am I sane?). What he did was something I very well could have seen myself doing as a teenager, when my hormones were totally out of control I was crazy as hell. The thing is though that you need to realize you ARE crazy.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I think what actually bothers me the most here is that they made specific mention that he purchased the guns legally. Paranoid though I am, this tells me to expect a push for stricter gun legislation.

all

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing, all!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:38 am

tmarie64 wrote:Gunman at Pa. health club was bitter over women

DUH! Ya think! Wonder where they got THAT idea... Walked into a "Women's only" aerobic class... looked around for a minute... shut off the lights and started shooting blindly.

Yeah, d'oh ... !

But do also check this out from the guy's online journal:

Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:01 am

Celsus wrote:But do also check this out from the guy's online journal:Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.

Reminds me of a heated discussion I had some years ago with a Southern Baptist woman who assured me that yes, indeed, a mass murderer would go to heaven if s/he has been "saved."

All of which leads me to refer to being saved as the "Jeff Dahmer Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 am

It doesn't make a lot of sense, that's true.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
Celsus wrote:But do also check this out from the guy's online journal:Maybe soon, I will see God and Jesus. At least that is what I was told. Eternal life does NOT depend on works. If it did, we will all be in hell. Christ paid for EVERY sin, so how can I or you be judged BY GOD for a sin when the penalty was ALREADY paid. People judge but that does not matter. I was reading the Bible and The Integrity of God beginning yesterday, because soon I will see them.

Reminds me of a heated discussion I had some years ago with a Southern Baptist woman who assured me that yes, indeed, a mass murderer would go to heaven if s/he has been "saved."

All of which leads me to refer to being saved as the "Jeff Dahmer Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card."

Well yes, absolutely. This was drilled into me too, it doesn't matter WHAT you do, because all sin is equal to God- in God's eyes, murder is the same as a white lie. It all makes him puke. But, through Jesus, all sin (murder, stealing a cookie, lusting, yada) is erased and it's all gravy. The Paul Plan of Salvation.

Then I stared reading the Bible a few years ago and discovered that didn't mesh at all with the Jesus plan of salvation. But, what Christian needs or cares about what Jesus had to say when you can find an easier out? Mad

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:39 am

Beribee wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I think what actually bothers me the most here is that they made specific mention that he purchased the guns legally. Paranoid though I am, this tells me to expect a push for stricter gun legislation.

all

It's happened in other countries.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 am

We have to make sure it doesn't happen here.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm trying. The best thing we can do is educate.

Oh, and get your permits. If you think it is a good thing for people to be able to do, take the class and get the permit, even if you have absolutely no intention of ever using it, or even owning a gun. Someone will let you borrow a gun if you need one for the class, hell, I'll let you borrow one for the class if you are close enough. If there are enough people who are signed up, they will realize that they won't be able to push something through.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 pm

USA Today mentioned 3 days ago that record number of people are getting concealed permits, up 3x the normal amount - namely fears of Obama putting on restictions.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 pm

I'm happy, but it drives me nuts to try to find ammo!
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Beribee wrote:

all

And we're still alive ... Rolling Eyes Wink

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:45 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:USA Today mentioned 3 days ago that record number of people are getting concealed permits, up 3x the normal amount - namely fears of Obama putting on restictions.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Dude, anyone that passes all the background checks are not the people who you need to worry about.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Celsus wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:
Beribee wrote:

all

And we're still alive ... Rolling Eyes Wink

For now.

In your country it's not so much a big deal, really, because (no offense) you're a tiny place and are overlooked. Especially when everything's okay with the government and it's all gravy in a safe neighborhood etc.

However, it really sucks to be Jewish or gay when the government's stripped you of your weapons and say "It's time for you and your family to visit the gas chambers now" and all you can really do is say "LoL okay! Let's go!"

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Hell, I'm not Jewish or gay, but I live in an area where it might take the police officers 45 minutes or more to respond to a call, and crime is rampant. There is no way that they are going to convince me that the police will protect me, I'll take what precautions I need on my own.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:31 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:For now.

In your country it's not so much a big deal, really, because (no offense) you're a tiny place and are overlooked. Especially when everything's okay with the government and it's all gravy in a safe neighborhood etc.

Same goes for all other European countries.

But yes, I admit that living in quite a safe place (Western Europe in general) doesn't make you think that you need guns to protect yourself.

However, it really sucks to be Jewish or gay when the government's stripped you of your weapons and say "It's time for you and your family to visit the gas chambers now" and all you can really do is say "LoL okay! Let's go!"

A gun doesn't help much in such a situation. Ok, you might kill a couple of the baddies but then they will destroy you anyway.

Violence only breeds violence.

But I can understand that IF you live in a rough and criminal neighborhood that you'd like, or even need, a gun to protect yourself ... but that's a sad statement about the place where you live.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:32 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Hell, I'm not Jewish or gay, but I live in an area where it might take the police officers 45 minutes or more to respond to a call, and crime is rampant. There is no way that they are going to convince me that the police will protect me, I'll take what precautions I need on my own.

Ok, in such a rough neighborhood owning a gun seems to be a good idea.

I'd rather think about moving though to a less hostile place, I guess.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Unfortunately, no neighborhood is guaranteed safe. Even if you live in the wealthiest and most glamorous suburb in town, it's going to be subject to robbery from the lower classes because of its status. Nobody is exempt from crime or the need of protection - just less likely.

I've lived everywhere, on a scale of 1-10, from the roughest projects to the safest of neighborhoods. Crime is everywhere, though of course small midwestern towns of 149 people have a lot less than a metro area of tens of thousands, like we have.

Just a random anecdote; In my grandmother's safe neighborhood a while back we had a rabid racoon try to attack us. It chased us back in the house and was trying to eat us (literally!) Then it tried to attack the neighbors dog. Of course a normal racoon wouldn't do such a thing but, that's rabies in action. I have a harder time shooting an animal than a person (personal preference, I like animals more) and wound up having the neighbor shoot it. But it prowled outside our door for hours.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next