If you ask you will recieve.

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Beribee on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 pm

OK...I'm confused. Why would a non-Christian ask the Christian God for anything? And if they did receive it, who is to say where it came from?

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:02 pm

I think that it does not matter if we ask for things for selfish matters or not. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to win the lottery. I see nothing wrong with winning the lottery. I don't think that you will be harmed for asking for something either. My gods may laugh at me but they sure aren't going to punish me for asking for a shiny new BMW.

I think the more you communicate with your gods the more you are going to grow. I don't see why you can't be yourself, in all your selfish glory with your god. If you can't be yourself with your gods, who can you be?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Beribee wrote:OK...I'm confused. Why would a non-Christian ask the Christian God for anything? And if they did receive it, who is to say where it came from?

I don't ask the Christian god - Yahweh - for anything. If he wants to give me some winning lottery tickets or something, however, I'm not going to turn it down.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:04 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I believe that if we ask (for whatever) out of purely selfish reasons we certainly CAN receive- and I think most anyone with bad experience in magic or energy can agree with me on that.

I agree with you, very easy to ask and receive the wrong thing, but as with all energy it does not discriminate. If your an idiot you will be smacked up side the head.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Yes Gilly I would not turn down those winning lottery tickets either. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Do you fear your gods, MC?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 pm

No I don't, Something about the relationship, it is gentle and caring. I have never been given reason to fear.

I have been well cared for as well.

I have made some terrible mistakes, especially when I was a child, and although I was very clearly corrected, I was also protected.
I have never been threatened. Smile

And I am usually warned now before making any really big mistakes, warned not threatened.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:08 pm

There you go. Whatever you do, whatever you ask for, your gods aren't going to harm you. You don't beat a child for asking for a candy bar. You may not give it to them but you won't harm them for asking.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:13 pm

This is very, very true. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:15 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I believe that if we ask (for whatever) out of purely selfish reasons we certainly CAN receive- and I think most anyone with bad experience in magic or energy can agree with me on that.

I agree with you, very easy to ask and receive the wrong thing, but as with all energy it does not discriminate. If your an idiot you will be smacked up side the head.

I've gotten a few of those! Scared

I guess we did go with different ideas here, I wasn't trying to infer anything about the Christian god, just the Universe in general.

Last edited by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:16 pm

I wasn't thinking Christian god either Embarassed

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Strangely enough, I like the Christian god a lot better now that I'm not following him. Embarassed

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 pm

That is funny, Gilly Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:26 pm

I kind of understand.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 pm

I understand as well.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:22 pm

gillyflower wrote:Do you fear your gods, MC?

Methinks if you have to fear your god(s), you're following the wrong one(s).
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Now, to the Christian credit, we were taught to 'fear God' in terms of respect and awe (ie: God is so great and mighty and we are so not), not in terms of being afraid.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Chaplain:
Let us praise God. O Lord...

Congregation:
O Lord...

Chaplain:
...Ooh, You are so big...

Congregation:
...ooh, You are so big...

Chaplain:
...So absolutely huge.

Congregation:
...So absolutely huge.

Chaplain:
Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

Congregation:
Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

Chaplain:
Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and...

Congregation:
And barefaced flattery.

Chaplain:
But You are so strong and, well, just so super.

Congregation:
Fantastic.

Humphrey:
Amen.

Congregation:
Amen.

Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Clap I've never seen that movie but I think I need to.

"...the chaplain was ready now to capitulate to despair entirely but was restrained by the memory of his wife, whom he loved and missed so pathetically with such sensual and exalted ardor, and by the lifelong trust he had placed in the wisdom and justice of an immortal, omnipotent, omniscient, humane, universal, anthropomorphic, English-speaking, Anglo-Saxon, pro-American God, which had begun to waver." Catch-22, Chapter 25, pg. 285

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 am

Hysterical
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:07 am

Willowcreek70633 wrote:Alright, Dave I'm goin there!

So, Dave your saying if you ask wrongly out of selfish intentions then you won't be answered? Work with me here, darlin....

And for the sexy questions? Then you cant ask for a mate, not even a soul mate!

silent

that was the scripture I was quoting; and sure you can- Biblical Lust isn't physical desire-its physical desire out of balance-the difference between attraction and obsession
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:09 am

It's one of those things about having a specialized language that is known only within a religious context. Unfortunately, when you are talking to people within and without the religion who don't understand that, they get the bible interpretations confused since they apply modern definitions to words. I've seen that on a regular basis among the Evangelicals.

Well, I still think that if you ask your god for something because you are unbalanced (another word that has different meanings) he isn't going to smite you for it. I think your god recognizes the mentally ill and the temporarily dazzled. He may not give you it, but then again he doesn't give normal stuff to people who aren't unbalanced and have real needs either.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm

scratch So where is this Biblical quote at? See thats where all the confusion is....you may speak English, but you have to "belong" to the specific group w the specialized language to 'GET IT'?

Quote scripture & verse....maybe I can read it & put that old William Shakespear/or Edgar Allen Poe...Catholic twist on it! LOL!

OM! No wonder I'm feeling a bit concerned. Angel
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Jas 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

James kjv
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I don't mean to sidetrack (as usual), but Dave, have you seen The Gathering? This conversation is making me think of those who "came to watch (the crucifixion) not out of reverence for our Lord, but out of lust."

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top