If you ask you will recieve.

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by gillyflower on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Well, they explain it that you should only ask for certain things, that the god in question won't answer prayers that he (or the people who are telling you this) don't think worthy and/or won't answer prayers from people who aren't worthy. Judgement on this is made by who gets their prayers answered and what kind of prayers are answered, so it is pretty subjective.

It is is problematical, to say the least. Some people will say that *their* god doesn't answer prayers about winning the lottery for example and yet some people do get that prayer answered, don't they?

I am not Christian but I work on the principal that it never hurts to ask for exactly what you want from whatever gods you worship. In my experience, they aren't going to punish you for asking. They may laugh and otherwise advise you to start getting to work, go to school or take the steps yourself to make it happen. And once you take all the steps you can, well, then maybe they will push a little energy here or there to help you out. Besides, it helps you focus on what it is exactly that you do want.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:19 pm

My story was during the time I was in Christianity, seperated from my wife, going to a "bible believing church who believed in the power of prayer", so I assumed that "saving a marriage", . . .a "holy union that God brougth together", . . . was a righteous enough cause for answering my prayers and the prayers of many others. I discovered that God is powerless against a narcisist. Either that, or that verse is even more subjective than "being a right cause". It seems it goes to "what was going to happen anyway gets called an answer to prayer".
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 pm

In my religion, the gods mostly don't get involved in human matters and marriage is a human matter.

I suppose I'd feel let down too if they said that the god would answer my prayers and he didn't. If you were married to a narcissist then congratulations on getting free. Being married to a mentally ill person is not something I'd wish on anyone.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:56 pm

gilly, . . . I feel lucky sometimes. . . . . sometimes not. Kinda goes both ways. I really had many good times with her, and it seems she changed over night (towards the end). Anyway, yeah, it was a let down.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:08 pm

TPaine wrote:And here's one for TED. He should like this. Too bad it's just lyrics and not the exceptional voice. I guess I could send a You Tube link.

DIAMONDS AND RUST
(Words and Music by Joan Baez)

Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall

As I remember your eyes
Were bluer than robin's eggs
My poetry was lousy you said
Where are you calling from?
A booth in the midwest
Ten years ago
I bought you some cufflinks
You brought me something
We both know what memories can bring
They bring diamonds and rust

Well you burst on the scene
Already a legend
The unwashed phenomenon
The original vagabond
You strayed into my arms
And there you stayed
Temporarily lost at sea
The Madonna was yours for free
Yes the girl on the half-shell
Would keep you unharmed

Now I see you standing
With brown leaves falling around
And snow in your hair
Now you're smiling out the window
Of that crummy hotel
Over Washington Square
Our breath comes out white clouds
Mingles and hangs in the air
Speaking strictly for me
We both could have died then and there

Now you're telling me
You're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague
Because I need some of that vagueness now
It's all come back too clearly
Yes I loved you dearly
And if you're offering me diamonds and rust
I've already paid

©️ 1975 Chandos Music (ASCAP)

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI[/quote[/url]]

*squirts*

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Boy howdy, I'm here to tell ya that once ya master the art of manifestation, you may be sorry!

You know the old saying, Be careful what you ask for...you may get it. About 4-5 years ago I got pretty deep into the Law of Attraction and have been damn good at manifesting. Even taught it to close friends who can use it for good. When I got on a roll I started manifesting stuff left and right. Now that doesn't mean it falls out of the sky and lands on your feet, but it means the way is paved and everything falls into perfect place so you can buy/be given/get whatever you want.

I wanted my mentally ill ex. She hated me at the at the time. I got her! Oh boy.

I wanted my car. I got it! Oh boy. Smile

I wanted my house. The purchase went through the same day. Oh boy.

I wanted my second job. I got hired that day. Oh, boy.

And on and on it goes. Now, I'm here to say that manifestation is a miracle as far as health is concerned (who can afford insurance these days!) but when it comes to bringing stuff and PEOPLE (eek) into your life you'd better be damn sure that's what you want. The Universe gives you everything and anything you hold in your consciousness as real. Sometimes that really sucks!

It wasn't until AFTER all these flops that I learned the even deeper secret of manifestation, which is beyond the actual doing it... it's the art of manifesting a solution, not what you think the solution is. Manifest the correct place to live, not the house you think you want but turns out to be a nightmare. Manifest the best partner for you, not a woman or man you think you want but turns out to be psycho. Manifest the job that will best be a calling to you, not the one that you think you want because it's available and pays more. Oy, if only I focused more on that when I learned it!

Anyway, life is a journey. Aside from health, I've taken a long break from actively manifesting anything, though of course like everyone else, my experiences are created by my consciousness so active or not, I create my universe daily.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:31 pm

TED, is "manifesting" the same as "positive thinking"? I'm going to guess not, but will await your reply.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:47 pm

No, Deavon, manifesting is the act of willfully bringing about into experience something seen from the Unseen. It involves positive thinking, generally speaking, as a factor, but it's not the same thing.

Positive thinking is also very handy- it lowers blood pressure, increases lifespan and makes for an overall better life experience. Unfortunately, I was born a pessimist.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Are there any specific "rituals" (or whatever) that is done, or it is just an intense focus?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:19 pm

I have an ehow!

http://www.ehow.com/how_2134981_pray-scientifically-affirmative-prayer.html

Very Happy

Of course it's slightly more involved but that's really the premise.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for the link, TED.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by BonnieJay on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:35 am

Ok so mine didn't come out
BonnieJay

Back to top Go down

Post by BonnieJay on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:38 am

I don't know what I didn't do. Maybe what I did do. I think I typed too much.

Ke Sera Sera.

I hate it when I type all that and it doesn't come out!!
BonnieJay

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:10 am

Naw, BJ, likely not your fault.

The posting monster just slithered out from behind the message string and gobbled up your posting, that's all. Happens to everyone now and then.
< sassy wink & grin >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Haha, Dot!

I've learned its best if Im going to type a long message to type it in Wordpad or something similar then copy and paste it into the forum...gods know at Beliefnet I lost some mini-novels due to browser crashing that about drove me insane.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 pm

So now I just type shorter messages so I'm not too angry if I lose one. Laughing

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chokmah on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:19 pm

So manifesting is like The Secret?
Chokmah

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:36 pm

Yes, our faith published the book and movie The Secret, which is actually based on the book The Secret of the Ages by Robert Collier. http://tigerseyedowsing.com/ds/other/robert_collier.html I have it free on my site.

What The Secret (the movie, can't say for the book) did was dumb down The Secret of the Ages, take out the "we are one with God" component and make it sound like "oo, you think about it and it happens!" Close...but you think about it with heightened consciousness, otherwise you're just thinking about it. That's my bone with The Secret - gotta toss out the whole God concept in case it bothers someone. On the other hand it introduced a lot of people to metaphysics, and if they're really interested, they'll look further and learn more.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 pm

Deo and his wife Mandy of the late lamented Deo's Shadow express my problems with The Secret pretty well here:

http://www.deos-shadow.com/?p=48

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:46 pm

LoL!

Naturally, that's nothing like the Law of Attraction, but what can you expect from a guy who spent 5 minutes scanning the book The Secret (which already is not a great teaching of the LoA) in a bookstore? You'd do just as well letting me skim a shoddy book on quantum physics then have me try to explain it in a youtube video.

It would be though, like this vid, highly entertaining. I have a sense of humor and enjoyed it. My problem though is that there are people with no working knowledge (in many things) that attempt to debunk things they don't have a full understanding of. We see this with evolution all the time. Evolution isn't real. Why? Because the Universe was created in 7 days flat, no time for such folly. And so it goes.

Years ago when Harry Potter was getting popular (and I'd never heard of it) I had an aunt who was reading it to her mentally disabled schoolchildren. Another aunt lashed into her for reading things that were demonic, evil, and encouraged children to convert to Satanism and such terrible practices. Teacher-aunt asked "Have you ever read a Harry Potter book?" and left her sister in law stuttering uh, well, no... "Then don't condemn it if you don't know what you're talking about."

Though getting back to the Secret... I'm going to have to confess that I'm aware Rhonda's book is fairly crappy and I, too, have never read it. However, I do have a working knowledge of the Law of Attraction so dismiss the book if one would like but don't dismiss the Universal Law behind the book. Wink

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john5180 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:06 pm

And to add to what TED siad..... If one takes the themes of the different authors quoted in the book, and read up on them individually, you get a whole 'nother message as well. If the book does nothing else, it opens doors to a whole new group of people with different ideas and productive results.

For me, it's a matter of owning my thoughts. If I say I am angry, I therefore "own" that thought, and the result is anger. If I say I am happy, joyous and free, I have ownership of this too. And the result is even the most obstinate ass can't rob me of this feeling. The end result is I am happy, joyous and free. These feelings have a direct correlation to my view of people, places, and situations in my life. I can change them in an instant.... it's where my mind.... what I believe takes me. My thoughts direct the outcome of my day; positive or negative.

I know this is a simplified version of asking and receiving, but that's the way I understand it best.
john5180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

View previous topic View next topic Back to top