If you ask you will recieve.

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm not in the business in trying to tell God what to do, unlike some people I know. I'm not talking about anyone on this board, thank goodness! However, I have known plenty of people who thought that if you have enough faith/right belief/closeness to God, then you will get whatever you want from Him. I do mean whatever, from a job, money, a cure for a disease, etc. The converse, which I have been told about myself, is that if you are sick or have money problems or whatnot, it is due to your lack of faith/right belief/ some unresolved sin in your life. Familiar terms for this are Word of Faith, or the Prosperity Gospel. This is every bit as cruel as it sounds, and treats God like an ATM machine. Apparently some people think God never says 'no' to anything, which we all know is far from being true!

There have been times when I have asked for something that I desperately wanted, and had all the faith that He would come through, etc. I did not receive what I wanted. I did, however, eventually receive what I needed. By this I mean that it turned out that what I had asked for would not be the best thing for me in the long run. For instance, if a previous relationship had worked out as I constantly prayed for, I would still be with the other guy and not be with my husband. My husband is pretty much a perfect fit for me, and there were things with the other guy that I saw later that I would not want to raise children with-it was this guy and his family I heard the beliefs in the first paragraph in this post from. It was basically a Romans 8:28 situation-God caused all things to come together for the good of one who loved Him (me) and was called according to His purpose, but apparently the 'good' of me wasn't what I thought it would be, and God knows better than I do what will turn out better for me. I am not going to pretend that there was not a lot of pain involved; there certainly was, as many Bnetters saw. I am also not going to pretend that things turned out all hunky-dory across the board or that things will turn out easy for everyone. I am ust describing my situation and the reason for my faith in God's will being done and turning out for the best, even if I don't like it at the time. And I usually don't!

Another that comes to mind is 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. I think this pretty much negates the idea that having enough faith is a 'guaranteed winner'!

Sometimes God says 'no', just like our parents did. And, like our parents, it is usually for our own good that we don't get everything we want.
avatar
Beautiful_Dreamer

Posts : 131
Join date : 2009-08-18
Location : Georgia

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Davelaw on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:39 pm

or in the words of the great prophet Garth Brooks

Just the other night a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldnt help but think of the way things used to be.

She was the one that Id wanted for all times
And each night Id spend prayin that God would make her mine
And if hed only grant me this wish I wished back then
Id never ask for anything again.

(chorus)
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when youre talkin to the man upstairs
That just because he doesnt answer doesnt mean he dont care
Some of gods greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

She wasnt quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
Inn her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasnt much we could recall
I guess the lord knows what hes doin after all.

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thankedd the good lord
For the gifts in my life.

*chorus*
Some of gods greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of gods greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
avatar
Davelaw

Posts : 1684
Join date : 2009-07-18
Location : Houston Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 pm

I don't have much experience in asking personal gods for things. My experience has been with the Universe, it is a giant ATM and our life experiences are mandated by the law of attraction, including things we want if we purposefully manifest it (whether its for good for us or not!). I'm unclear about whether personal gods have the right/ability to interfere with that or not, and to what degree, etc... if someone has more insight on that feel free to discuss!

_________________
"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
avatar
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I don't have much experience in asking personal gods for things. My experience has been with the Universe, it is a giant ATM and our life experiences are mandated by the law of attraction, including things we want if we purposefully manifest it (whether its for good for us or not!). I'm unclear about whether personal gods have the right/ability to interfere with that or not, and to what degree, etc... if someone has more insight on that feel free to discuss!

TED, I understand what you're talking about, but others here might not. You might try to explain it better, particularly if my Dee decides to read this. Here's the argument for those who do not fully appreciate the concept: this sounds completely Christian, and where's the part come in the fine print about asking in Jayzus' name? I've actually had that tossed at me.

Here's the point.... The universe isn't just a wishing well. There is work involved. Much harder than physical labor. It's maintaining positive thoughts. Thoughts toward yourself, others, the environment, being content and happy in the place you are right now, and not fretful. It means breaking some old mindsets we've lugged around with us our entire lives, such as "I can't" and changing our thoughts into "I can. It's coming to the conclusion that we are our biggest enemy when it comes to being happy, and then doing something about it. And that happiness comes from first being grateful for what we already have and laying the foundation for gaining more.

For me, it isn't all about acquiring wealth, or some sort of social status, but just loving what I'm doing today, and who I am, and not allowing negative thoughts come in and screw it up. There's where the ATM (IMO) pays off. The rest, such as financial security, better relationships..... all of that is nothing more than the perks that comes with the positive thoughts we allow ourselves to feel.

This is a bitter pill for some to swallow, because they want to attach religion to it. For me, this has not one thing to do with religion. People could spend a small country's national debt in therapy learning the exact same thing. It's just this simple..... tell a kid he's stupid, and before long, he's sitting in a special ed class. Tell a kid that he (she, or it) is bright and intelligent, and that there is only one thing stopping him from reaching his goal is himself, and he will reach whatever he aspires to. Tell yourself you are unworthy for happiness in life, and you will never be happy. The list can go on ad nausium.

Maybe starting a thread on other religions would help people see where you're coming from on this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:29 am

John A. Cancienne wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I don't have much experience in asking personal gods for things. My experience has been with the Universe, it is a giant ATM and our life experiences are mandated by the law of attraction, including things we want if we purposefully manifest it (whether its for good for us or not!). I'm unclear about whether personal gods have the right/ability to interfere with that or not, and to what degree, etc... if someone has more insight on that feel free to discuss!

TED, I understand what you're talking about, but others here might not. You might try to explain it better, particularly if my Dee decides to read this. Here's the argument for those who do not fully appreciate the concept: this sounds completely Christian, and where's the part come in the fine print about asking in Jayzus' name? I've actually had that tossed at me.

Here's the point.... The universe isn't just a wishing well. There is work involved. Much harder than physical labor. It's maintaining positive thoughts. Thoughts toward yourself, others, the environment, being content and happy in the place you are right now, and not fretful. It means breaking some old mindsets we've lugged around with us our entire lives, such as "I can't" and changing our thoughts into "I can. It's coming to the conclusion that we are our biggest enemy when it comes to being happy, and then doing something about it. And that happiness comes from first being grateful for what we already have and laying the foundation for gaining more.

For me, it isn't all about acquiring wealth, or some sort of social status, but just loving what I'm doing today, and who I am, and not allowing negative thoughts come in and screw it up. There's where the ATM (IMO) pays off. The rest, such as financial security, better relationships..... all of that is nothing more than the perks that comes with the positive thoughts we allow ourselves to feel.

This is a bitter pill for some to swallow, because they want to attach religion to it. For me, this has not one thing to do with religion. People could spend a small country's national debt in therapy learning the exact same thing. It's just this simple..... tell a kid he's stupid, and before long, he's sitting in a special ed class. Tell a kid that he (she, or it) is bright and intelligent, and that there is only one thing stopping him from reaching his goal is himself, and he will reach whatever he aspires to. Tell yourself you are unworthy for happiness in life, and you will never be happy. The list can go on ad nausium.

Maybe starting a thread on other religions would help people see where you're coming from on this.

Thanks John. To be honest, when I first started on the religious debate stuff forever ago, I was gungho on trying to explain the Law of Attraction from my views of it and spent time trying to convince people of one thing or another. I'm over it. People are going to believe whatever they're willing to believe, and if they're not ready for the LoA, they're just not. The so-called problem with the LoA, and of course remember I'm offering this from the metaphysical perspective, is that it puts people in total control of their lives for better and for worse. They can handle the better, but they can't handle the law of metaphysics that the really bad stuff comes as a result of energy as well. They want to believe that really bad things 'just happen', but people like me who live in a law-and-order type universe don't have that luxury. In my universe things can't 'just happen', because everything is cause and effect, and all physical 'things' have an underlying metaphysical/energetical cause. But it's too much for most people to bear, especially when they've had trauma or 'bad things' themselves, so I've learned to just let them be with their it-just-happens ideas and go on with what I know as the truth.

The best thing I can compare knowledge of the Law of Attraction to is Plato's Allegory of the Cave. http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/platoscave.html When I've tried to share knowledge of the LoA it turns into that "Bad things just happen, like good things, and you need to have your 'eye fixed' if you see otherwise." And so I discuss the LoA with people who know its value, and disregard with the rest.

_________________
"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
avatar
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3854
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:29 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
John A. Cancienne wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I don't have much experience in asking personal gods for things. My experience has been with the Universe, it is a giant ATM and our life experiences are mandated by the law of attraction, including things we want if we purposefully manifest it (whether its for good for us or not!). I'm unclear about whether personal gods have the right/ability to interfere with that or not, and to what degree, etc... if someone has more insight on that feel free to discuss!

TED, I understand what you're talking about, but others here might not. You might try to explain it better, particularly if my Dee decides to read this. Here's the argument for those who do not fully appreciate the concept: this sounds completely Christian, and where's the part come in the fine print about asking in Jayzus' name? I've actually had that tossed at me.

Here's the point.... The universe isn't just a wishing well. There is work involved. Much harder than physical labor. It's maintaining positive thoughts. Thoughts toward yourself, others, the environment, being content and happy in the place you are right now, and not fretful. It means breaking some old mindsets we've lugged around with us our entire lives, such as "I can't" and changing our thoughts into "I can. It's coming to the conclusion that we are our biggest enemy when it comes to being happy, and then doing something about it. And that happiness comes from first being grateful for what we already have and laying the foundation for gaining more.

For me, it isn't all about acquiring wealth, or some sort of social status, but just loving what I'm doing today, and who I am, and not allowing negative thoughts come in and screw it up. There's where the ATM (IMO) pays off. The rest, such as financial security, better relationships..... all of that is nothing more than the perks that comes with the positive thoughts we allow ourselves to feel.

This is a bitter pill for some to swallow, because they want to attach religion to it. For me, this has not one thing to do with religion. People could spend a small country's national debt in therapy learning the exact same thing. It's just this simple..... tell a kid he's stupid, and before long, he's sitting in a special ed class. Tell a kid that he (she, or it) is bright and intelligent, and that there is only one thing stopping him from reaching his goal is himself, and he will reach whatever he aspires to. Tell yourself you are unworthy for happiness in life, and you will never be happy. The list can go on ad nausium.

Maybe starting a thread on other religions would help people see where you're coming from on this.

Thanks John. To be honest, when I first started on the religious debate stuff forever ago, I was gungho on trying to explain the Law of Attraction from my views of it and spent time trying to convince people of one thing or another. I'm over it. People are going to believe whatever they're willing to believe, and if they're not ready for the LoA, they're just not. The so-called problem with the LoA, and of course remember I'm offering this from the metaphysical perspective, is that it puts people in total control of their lives for better and for worse. They can handle the better, but they can't handle the law of metaphysics that the really bad stuff comes as a result of energy as well. They want to believe that really bad things 'just happen', but people like me who live in a law-and-order type universe don't have that luxury. In my universe things can't 'just happen', because everything is cause and effect, and all physical 'things' have an underlying metaphysical/energetical cause. But it's too much for most people to bear, especially when they've had trauma or 'bad things' themselves, so I've learned to just let them be with their it-just-happens ideas and go on with what I know as the truth.

The best thing I can compare knowledge of the Law of Attraction to is Plato's Allegory of the Cave. http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/platoscave.html When I've tried to share knowledge of the LoA it turns into that "Bad things just happen, like good things, and you need to have your 'eye fixed' if you see otherwise." And so I discuss the LoA with people who know its value, and disregard with the rest.

I feel your pain, Joseph. I go through the same problem here on the home front with Willowcreek. But I keep trying to explain that it isn't just another cult within Christianity just the same. I can meld my beliefs with both the insights of the Celestine Prophesies as well as LoA, and continue on with my Celtic beliefs too. It's a mindset of thinking positive thoughts about my circumstances, and nothing more for me. She can't wrap her mind around that concept. And I believe this is the problem I see here..... people can't wrap their mind around the notion that if they feel good about where they are at in the present, the future just seems to get even better. For me, it's more than just sitting around with your hand stuck out waiting for someone to drop a winning loto ticket into your hand. This requires work. It ain't easy to continue to think positive thoughts for yourself when the world is in chaos, and others are loosing their minds over worry. Folks get the idea that one of us is just plain lost it, and neither side wants to be that person. But if you're going to drop a bomb, and say something like the universe is an ATM, you need to back it up with something to give yourself credibility. That was all I was trying to say. I understand what you're driving at. Even if I look at it from a slightly different angle, we basically agree in principle.

Some statements just need an explanation to go along with it. Let me give you an example.... I'm up for two promotions; one where I work, and one with the National Guard. So what am I doing about it? I'm walking around acting like I've already been promoted in both places. And I believe that it will happen. My proof? That will come after I pin sergeant stripes on my work uniform, and after I have the diamond in the middle of my chevrons in the Guard.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TPaine on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:45 am

If it's true that, "If you ask you will receive," it would be smart to be very careful about what you ask for. You may discover what you thought you wanted is more a curse than a gift. See Ovid's Metamorphoses: Book 11, Section 2.

avatar
TPaine

Posts : 650
Join date : 2009-04-13
Location : Southeastern Tennessee

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Mr. Payne, do you believe that when you feel good about yourself, others around you seem to react the same way? And do you then find yourself doing better at work, or dealing with family or friends, because since you feel so good about yourself, you feel better about them, and it seems to just radiate back to you? It's actually the same principle at play here.

As for myself, I believe I am not only best qualified for these promotions I'm up for, but by feeling good about myself, and in the positions, the responsibility they both carry, I believe I already contribute. I just have the positive belief that I'm going to get them. And I operate on the principle that I have them already.

It isn't such a big deal actually. What gets hard is when someone tries to plant seeds of doubt. Such as you are ever so subtly trying to do. Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TPaine on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:41 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:Mr. Payne, do you believe that when you feel good about yourself, others around you seem to react the same way? And do you then find yourself doing better at work, or dealing with family or friends, because since you feel so good about yourself, you feel better about them, and it seems to just radiate back to you? It's actually the same principle at play here.

As for myself, I believe I am not only best qualified for these promotions I'm up for, but by feeling good about myself, and in the positions, the responsibility they both carry, I believe I already contribute. I just have the positive belief that I'm going to get them. And I operate on the principle that I have them already.

It isn't such a big deal actually. What gets hard is when someone tries to plant seeds of doubt. Such as you are ever so subtly trying to do. Wink
If you think I'm trying to plant seeds of doubt, you misunderstand me. All I said is it's wise to think carefully about what you ask for, and consider the possible ramifications of receiving it. I said nothing negative anywhere about positive thinking. There's far to much evidence that if you feel good about yourself and project that image, others tend to see you in a more positive light. Therefore you're more likely to achieve goals you set for yourself. It also works the other way. If you have a negative self-image, and project that image, others tend to see you in a negative light, and you'll be less likely to achieve those goals.
I certainly agree that positive thoughts and a good self-image is an important characteristic to have not only to gain success and reach your goals, but also to have a pleasant life.

If I want to place "seeds of doubt" about something, you can be damn sure I won't try to be subtle about it. It's not my style. If I'm anything it overly blunt when expressing a position.
avatar
TPaine

Posts : 650
Join date : 2009-04-13
Location : Southeastern Tennessee

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Point taken TPayne.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:57 am

Johnno, so great to see you. I've been a lil bad with my leg getting to the computer for a while. I'm just trying out the rod in my leg for now!!

I totally agree that in order to increase one's (whatever it may be)....abundance, love, home, etc. We must all work on ourselves to do so. (For example a larger family!!):-) As the song says, It takes two b-a-b-y. Not simply ask God. Who says God is not everyone's God? Oh I know lots think that, that's their prerogative, but I've always erred on the side of one God for all. I have nothing against anyone having other Gods. Nor them trying to help by praying to other Gods for my or other's health needs etc. Sheesh sometimes as you know John, I need all the help I can physically & probably mentally can get. It isn't up to me to tell others who or what to believe in.

I believe in one God and others may believe in different Gods. It won't get my knickers in a knot. I think we should all pull together and not apart.

Wouldn't that be a nicer, more communicative, tolerant & compassionate world?

I do however, believe that praying for something right now etc., may not be what one may get, purely because it may not be right for you at that time. Possibly even giving up some, may find you with a lot more in future. Waiting for the right opportunity may find you being offered a better advantage a lil later. One may find the right partner, a better place to live, many things if people just wait and have faith that all thing are possible.

Each to his/her own. I believe it's great to love, live and laugh with all without any intolerance in any area!!

Still, to have a little and work to have that become much more, usually means self sacrifice. Maybe God may see how hard you work and decide to add a little more, maybe not. Maybe God knows we can do more, even when we think we can't!!

As much as I'd like to be blessed with more, I'd rather he saw what I did and added some help for others in need who were unbable to do more for themselves. (And I wouldn't care what religion they were. (If any.)

Johnnie love to you & the Beautiful One (Oh alright you two beautiful people xx BJ

Good to see you TED xx

BD xx
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 am

Hi TP,

Good to see you.

I have to go now as my leg and back are pretty painful and I'd like to get back tomorrow. Love BJ xx
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TPaine on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Davelaw wrote:or in the words of the great prophet Garth Brooks

Just the other night a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldnt help but think of the way things used to be.

She was the one that Id wanted for all times
And each night Id spend prayin that God would make her mine
And if hed only grant me this wish I wished back then
Id never ask for anything again.

(chorus)
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when youre talkin to the man upstairs
That just because he doesnt answer doesnt mean he dont care
Some of gods greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

She wasnt quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
Inn her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasnt much we could recall
I guess the lord knows what hes doin after all.

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thankedd the good lord
For the gifts in my life.

*chorus*
Some of gods greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of gods greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

Always remember, Dave, seven years later that same prophet wrote the following:

In another's eyes
I'm someone who
Loves her enough to walk away from you
I'd never cheat, I'd never lie
In another's eyes

In another's eyes
I can do no wrong
He believes in me and his faith is strong
I'd never fall or even compromise
In another's eyes

In another's eyes
I'm afraid that I can't see
This picture perfect portrait
That they paint of me
They don't realize
And I pray they never do
'Cause every time I look I'm seein' you
In another's eyes

In another's eyes
Starin' back at me
I see a sinking soul trying desperately
To turn the tide before it dies
In another's eyes

And what they don't see Lord is killing me
And it's a blessing and a curse that love is blind

So in another's eyes
I'm afraid that I can't see
This picture perfect portrait
That they paint of me
They don't realize
And I pray to God they never do
'Cause every time I look I'm seein' you
In another's eyes
In another's eyes
In another's eyes
avatar
TPaine

Posts : 650
Join date : 2009-04-13
Location : Southeastern Tennessee

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Ick. Country music.

_________________
Remember one thing about democracy. We can have anything we want and at the same time, we always end up with exactly what we deserve.

Edward Albee
avatar
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3199
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : Oklahoma

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by MaineCaptain on Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:26 pm

I like country music, I can't stand Garth Brooks.

_________________
Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.
avatar
MaineCaptain
Admin
Admin

Posts : 2869
Join date : 2009-04-01
Location : New England

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:22 am

Oh TED mate. There is a time for everything under Heaven.

'Work on your timing mate!!
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:37 am

Oh well I put in lots of other posts, but they aren't coming up. Do we only get the lil white rectangle? If so I've written more than half these posts which obviously will never be seen again!!

Personally, as a Christian, if I can still be called that, (ask JJ i'm sure she'd be a better judge than me), I don't care what anyone calls themselves, or believes in, I do believe that there is a general what goes around comes around etc.
Even though I don't know why I've had broken bones and other illness ad nauseum for the last ten years & more. I keep praying for health and for my friends too.

Huh I may believe, but I never discount another's belief.
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:41 am

OK so my really good posts have gone to a better or worse place. Never to be seen again, if ever.

Just how much can one write? Cos I tend to write novellas K?
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by BonnieJay on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:49 am

Hey Sacrificial,

I hated countrey music till I found a few Neil Diamond.....Blue Highways and some Kris Kristoffersons. Love 'em now. & I can't really see the twang in the songs. I think there are some really good ones. Who'd have thunk??

Give a little Get a Little!!
avatar
BonnieJay

Posts : 195
Join date : 2009-08-10
Location : Melbourne, Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TPaine on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:36 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Ick. Country music.
Is this better? It sure isn't country.

THE GREAT MANDALA (The Wheel of Life)
Peter Yarrow- Pepamar Music Corp.- ASCAP

So I told him that he'd better shut his mouth
And do his job like a man.
And he answered "Listen, Father,
I will never kill another."
He thinks he's better
than his brother that died
What the hell does he think he's doing
To his father who brought him up right?

Chorus:
Take your place on The Great Mandala
As it moves through your brief moment of time.
Win or lose now you must choose now
And if you lose you're only losing your life.

Tell the jailer not to bother
With his meal of bread and water today.
He is fasting 'til the killing's over
He's a martyr, he thinks he's a prophet.
But he's a coward, he's just playing a game
He can't do it, he can't change it
It's been going on for ten thousand years

(Chorus)

Tell the people they are safe now
Hunger stopped him, he lies still in his cell.
Death has gagged his accusations

We are free now, we can kill now,
We can hate now, now we can end the world
We're not guilty, he was crazy
And it's been going on for ten thousand years!

Take your place on The Great Mandala
As it moves through your brief moment of time.
Win or lose now you must choose now
And if you lose you've only wasted your life.
avatar
TPaine

Posts : 650
Join date : 2009-04-13
Location : Southeastern Tennessee

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by TPaine on Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:47 am

And here's one for TED. He should like this. Too bad it's just lyrics and not the exceptional voice. I guess I could send a You Tube link.

DIAMONDS AND RUST
(Words and Music by Joan Baez)

Well I'll be damned
Here comes your ghost again
But that's not unusual
It's just that the moon is full
And you happened to call
And here I sit
Hand on the telephone
Hearing a voice I'd known
A couple of light years ago
Heading straight for a fall

As I remember your eyes
Were bluer than robin's eggs
My poetry was lousy you said
Where are you calling from?
A booth in the midwest
Ten years ago
I bought you some cufflinks
You brought me something
We both know what memories can bring
They bring diamonds and rust

Well you burst on the scene
Already a legend
The unwashed phenomenon
The original vagabond
You strayed into my arms
And there you stayed
Temporarily lost at sea
The Madonna was yours for free
Yes the girl on the half-shell
Would keep you unharmed

Now I see you standing
With brown leaves falling around
And snow in your hair
Now you're smiling out the window
Of that crummy hotel
Over Washington Square
Our breath comes out white clouds
Mingles and hangs in the air
Speaking strictly for me
We both could have died then and there

Now you're telling me
You're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague
Because I need some of that vagueness now
It's all come back too clearly
Yes I loved you dearly
And if you're offering me diamonds and rust
I've already paid

© 1975 Chandos Music (ASCAP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMHSbcd_qI
avatar
TPaine

Posts : 650
Join date : 2009-04-13
Location : Southeastern Tennessee

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 am

Back in the latter 1980's, I was teaching in a small public high school in Southwest Kansas and heard an amusing story.

Seems that the previous year, the county fair committee was debating whom to book for the country music concert that was a fair tradition. This was a town of only about 1600 with an array of farms surrounding it, so who played the fair every year was of significant concern since many people were avid country music lovers.

The choices that year were between some group that was fairly popular in the area and thus difficult to book, another less-known group and some solo artist from Oklahoma that few people had even heard of.

The committee was pleased as punch to acquire the popular group.

And kicked themselves the following spring when that soloist from Oklahoma named Garth Brooks put out his first album and the rest, as the saying goes, was history.
avatar
DotNotInOz

Posts : 2795
Join date : 2009-04-02
Location : St Louis MO burb

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am

I don't really like country music. . . . . . . . . . . . not nearly dark enough for me.
avatar
DeavonReye

Posts : 769
Join date : 2009-06-15
Location : SW MO

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by gillyflower on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:09 am

I like a little of all kinds of music. Part of that I credit to my father who made me listen to all different kinds of music when I was young so that I could learn to appreciate it and have some knowledge about what I was listening to. I wasn't thanking him for that at the time, but since then I've become very grateful. He exposed me to and gave me a lifelong appreciation for a wide variety of music, and as they say, variety is the spice of life.

We have an oldie country music hour on at lunch time that a lot of people around here listen to even if they don't the rest of the time. They play great stuff.

_________________
Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
avatar
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Posts : 3400
Join date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 pm

But to get back to the OP topic. The quote is not true [title], . . . probably most of the time. It is just a way to boost HOPE in a person who is in a bad place. They look to their god and hope that what was promised [ask and you will receive] will happen, . . . .

It is a verse that is dangerous, because when the prayer is prayed and the subject of the prayer is righteous, . . . if it doesn't happen [the asked prayer being received], a person can become quite disillusioned with it all. Of course, disillusionment can cause a person to figure out why, study, read, and discover issues with a life long belief structure, . . . . so it can go both ways.
avatar
DeavonReye

Posts : 769
Join date : 2009-06-15
Location : SW MO

Back to top Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum