If you ask you will recieve.

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:26 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Well, I seriously doubt any god is planning to kill off all the other gods, Balder notwithstanding.

But Loki, (who plotted Balder's murder) was described as a jötunn, or giant in some Norse mythology, not really a god, but rather a super human along the lines of those angels who came and bred with earth humans, thus creating a race of humanoids like Goliath. I don't think it would be fair to include this entity as a god set on killing off all of the other gods. BTW, he later was referred to as a troll. Notice for all of his antics, he was never referred along the lines of Satan in Christiology.

Loki was also imprisoned by the gods until he is supposed to break free at ragnarok.

DeavonReye wrote:If you can be killed off, . . . were you ever actually even an "immortal"? scratch

Just thinking out loud.

My gods aren't immortal, just really long lived.

To continue thinking out loud, where did the idea of immortality become necessary?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:44 pm

[quote="allthegoodnamesweretaken"]
John A. Cancienne wrote:
sacrificialgoddess wrote:Well, I seriously doubt any god is planning to kill off all the other gods, Balder notwithstanding.

But Loki, (who plotted Balder's murder) was described as a jötunn, or giant in some Norse mythology, not really a god, but rather a super human along the lines of those angels who came and bred with earth humans, thus creating a race of humanoids like Goliath. I don't think it would be fair to include this entity as a god set on killing off all of the other gods. BTW, he later was referred to as a troll. Notice for all of his antics, he was never referred along the lines of Satan in Christiology.

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Loki was also imprisoned by the gods until he is supposed to break free at ragnarok.

I think in the mythology I read, he escaped. But I remember reading this too.

DeavonReye wrote:If you can be killed off, . . . were you ever actually even an "immortal"? scratch

Just thinking out loud.

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:My gods aren't immortal, just really long lived.

To continue thinking out loud, where did the idea of immortality become necessary?

all

Neither were mine. Cool Wink Some Celtic gods and a goddess or two were demoted by Christianity and became saints. scratch Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:52 pm

It depends on whether or not you look at is as past tense, or a possible future.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:56 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:It depends on whether or not you look at is as past tense, or a possible future.

Well even in physical death, they had a life and role to play with humans. In my beliefs, they still interact with the believers. For farmers, for instance, the Lord of the Green and the Lady have a lot to do with the planting and harvests.

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:28 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:

Just thinking out loud.

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:My gods aren't immortal, just really long lived.

all

Neither were mine. Cool Wink Some Celtic gods and a goddess or two were demoted by Christianity and became saints. scratch Rolling Eyes

Bridid was one that I know of. And, yeah, . . . . . . Rolling Eyes
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:30 pm

I find it incredible insulting to have our gods demoted, like man could actually do that.

But you are right Deavon, she was one of them. But we know she is still very much a Goddess. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:48 pm

I seem to be drawn to the idea of her. . . . . It is partly the fact that I am drawn to the Irish culture, but Brigid appeals to me.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:07 pm

<3 Brigid.

(Who doesn't?)

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Maybe I should pick up a book that talks about her. Not sure what, though.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:23 pm

DeavonReye wrote:I seem to be drawn to the idea of her. . . . . It is partly the fact that I am drawn to the Irish culture, but Brigid appeals to me.
You know if you feel drawn to her, she may be calling to you. Try to research her a bit, and the Irish culture in general. You may find it resonates with you. And one day you may find a Celtic God or Goddess (Or more then one) paying you a call. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Any good resources, off the top of your head (not literally, of course)?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 pm

Actually, I have the feeling MC can balance books on her head. :p

I know I've mentioned I've had a hand-woven Cross of Brigid over my doorframe for years and years.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Why thank you Tiger Razz

Now back to the question. Not right off the top of my head, sorry about that.

but one of my favourite odd shops is

http://poto.com/index2.ivnu

They have common books and the have uncommon and out of print books, but they also have a number you can call, and email address, for you to ask questions from the wealth of information they have collected over time.
And they don't mind sharing, they could probably steer you to the right research material. Just drop them an email. Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:36 pm

DeavonReye wrote:I seem to be drawn to the idea of her. . . . . It is partly the fact that I am drawn to the Irish culture, but Brigid appeals to me.

Here are a couple of sources for you, Deavon. If you google up Bridget you can find plenty enough books concerning the Celtic Gods and Goddesses, and well as a treasure trove of information on Bridget herself. http://www.ladybridget.com/brid.html and http://www.rahoorkhuit.net/goddess/goddess_quest/bridgit.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Me, too, Deavon....I wonder what draws us to her specifically?

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Hehe, I dunno, but I'd like to find out! I love most all things Irish but she's one of the few iconic god/esses that I have feelings for.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:33 am

Thank you for the resources.

I'm not sure what the draw is. scratch

It may be worth trying to figure out, though.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Beribee wrote:OK...I'm confused. Why would a non-Christian ask the Christian God for anything? And if they did receive it, who is to say where it came from?

Ah! Good question.

Let me explain how I view god: I dont view the Creator of All as belonging to any one religion/sect/creed. To me Creator is THE one god. It's just all the different religions/sects/creeds view Creator differently.

Creator has never steered me down a Chrisitan path.

In fact, a few weeks ago while on an outing with my bro and a friend to both Cahokia Mounds and the Lady of the Snows Shrine we ended up unitentionally attending mass at the Snows. The Lady of the Snows Shrine is in a very beautiful wooded area with several outdoor places to worship and many gradens. We've visited there many times since we were kids. (They have one of the largest outdoor Christmas display in the country and would see it every year).

One thing we always wanted to do is a daytrip to both places and have a picnic lunch at the Snows or Mounds. We ended up doing so at the Snows since we hit it last. (Oh and the Mounds as usual were great: got to see a Native Art show that we didnt know was going on- awesome!)

While at the Snows we realized mass would be held within the hour and since my bro is Catholic and my friend grew up Catholic they wanted to attend. Being non-Christian but respectfull I sat quietly in the back and observed. (Always wanted to see mass.) During mass I asked Creator if there was anything in this faith or ceremony I needed to see or understand.

Creator said that I have no real need to be there, that Creator was there for those present who approach him in that manner of mass/Catholism. Since I approach Creator in a different way, I had no need to be there. In fact that is what inspired this thread.

And I'm still a non-Christian.

BTW, it was a nice mass. Surprised
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Oops, correct link:

Lady of the Snows Shrine
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm

jumbojava wrote:
Beribee wrote:OK...I'm confused. Why would a non-Christian ask the Christian God for anything? And if they did receive it, who is to say where it came from?

Ah! Good question.

Let me explain how I view god: I dont view the Creator of All as belonging to any one religion/sect/creed. To me Creator is THE one god. It's just all the different religions/sects/creeds view Creator differently.

Creator has never steered me down a Chrisitan path.

In fact, a few weeks ago while on an outing with my bro and a friend to both Cahokia Mounds and the Lady of the Snows Shrine we ended up unitentionally attending mass at the Snows. The Lady of the Snows Shrine is in a very beautiful wooded area with several outdoor places to worship and many gradens. We've visited there many times since we were kids. (They have one of the largest outdoor Christmas display in the country and would see it every year).

One thing we always wanted to do is a daytrip to both places and have a picnic lunch at the Snows or Mounds. We ended up doing so at the Snows since we hit it last. (Oh and the Mounds as usual were great: got to see a Native Art show that we didnt know was going on- awesome!)

While at the Snows we realized mass would be held within the hour and since my bro is Catholic and my friend grew up Catholic they wanted to attend. Being non-Christian but respectful I sat quietly in the back and observed. (Always wanted to see mass.) During mass I asked Creator if there was anything in this faith or ceremony I needed to see or understand.

Creator said that I have no real need to be there, that Creator was there for those present who approach him in that manner of mass/Catholism. Since I approach Creator in a different way, I had no need to be there. In fact that is what inspired this thread.

And I'm still a non-Christian.

BTW, it was a nice mass. Surprised

Good points, Jj. And something else to consider, Beribee; what harm does it do? I have no particular grudge against the Christian god, who BTW, I do consider a different god from those I worship. Likewise, I truly don't think the Christian god has any particular grudge against me for not taking him as my primary god either. He made his pact with Abraham to be the god of the Jews, and we all know Christianity in it’s beginnings evolved from Judaism. So I’m not bound by that pact, and I believe the Christian god understands this and respects it.

I look at it from this standpoint, Berri, it never hurts to call in reinforcements when things get tough. Now for me, things have never gotten so tough that my gods couldn't handle the situation, and grant me the wisdom I’ve needed to get over the humps.

I once watched a television program where Jerry Lewis, the comedian was a guest. Something was mentioned about his religion, (he’s Jewish), and he pulled from inside his shirt a chain which had a Star of David, the Crescent and Star of Islam, and a Crucifix. He said he wore all three just in case he needed extra help. It got a laugh, but I thought it was such a great symbol of respect for all three of the religions. If there were more people like him, who showed respect for the diverse religions in the world, perhaps there wouldn't be so damn much religious infighting, or wars where religious bigotry was at the heart of it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Oh, I totally agree, John. However, I don't think it would even enter my mind to ask someone else's god for assistance if I needed help with something. Maybe I'll try it sometime and see what happens!!! Shocked

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I'm not sure I'd want to try it, especially if the deity I was bothering had prohibitions against worshipping all others. I'd rather avoid a smiting....

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I would very definitely rather avoid a smiting, too......however, if you were deviating from your god(s) to the god that prohibits worshipping others, wouldn't that be okay? I think the problem would be if it was the other way around.....correct?

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:47 pm

But I think Berri, you and Tameless are missing the bigger picture on many counts. First, I have never had a need to call upon the Christian god. Not that it is prohibited (so far as I know) by those I worship. They allowed themselves to become intertwined with the Christian god, if by no other measure than becoming saints within Christianity. So, if you venerate some particular saint (considering whether or not you might be Catholic), you are having something to do with my gods, and at least one notable goddess.

Secondly, this restriction in all actuality is placed only upon the Jews. It was Abraham, the father of Judaism after all, that made to pact with Yahweh. Not the Christians who converted from outside that faith. In all reality, you aren't under the prohibition either.

And third, if you feel no need to call upon any god(s) beside your own, why worry about it? As I said before, I haven't found this need so far in my life. I can't think of any other person who believes as I do who has either. The main point of my reply was that I don't consider the Christian god to be any less of a god than my own. It's just that I don't find him to be greater either. And my gods (as I mentioned earlier) have found round about ways to do their handiwork. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:33 am

I can agree with that John.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top