If you ask you will recieve.

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
John A. Cancienne wrote:And that same sentiment can be applied to Satan as well. The devil gets a lot of blame where it don't belong as well.

But Satan is all bad, remember. That's the distinct Christian dualism, God is all good and Satan is all evil, no room for dark in the light or light in the dark.

Oddly, in the bible satan only killed 10 people- at god's orders while god's body count is estimated around 33 million; and counting....
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:38 pm

jumbojava wrote:
I agree.

I contibute all the waring and bloodshed supposedly committed by dieties as fantasies and myths.

It's the people who commit such atrocities in the name of their god is what worries -and saddens- me.
That is how I feel about it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm

So, Y'all don't think gods have turf wars? And what about the tricksters and troublemakers-their actions don't result in conflict?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Davelaw wrote:So, Y'all don't think gods have turf wars?

No.

And what about the tricksters and troublemakers-their actions don't result in conflict?

Myths and legends designed to be used as teaching tools; not to be taken litterally.
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Davelaw wrote:So, Y'all don't think gods have turf wars?
No that is a human frailty, why would an advanced being have turf wars? That is extremely petty.

Davelaw wrote:And what about the tricksters and troublemakers-their actions don't result in conflict?
Even if they do exist that does not mean that they would war against each other. Tricksters tend to teach us lessons. Conflict is not a reason to be defeated. One learns and moves on. One does not need to defeat or have a big bully god defeat someone for you.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Yeesh.

What is written is not necessarily what happened, or will happen, but what is thought that we need to hear in order to grow spiritually. It's for us. I don't know if the gods fight each other or not. I am pretty sure if they did, we would never hear about it.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Very good point ALL, excellent point.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:And that same sentiment can be applied to Satan as well. The devil gets a lot of blame where it don't belong as well.

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:But Satan is all bad, remember. That's the distinct Christian dualism, God is all good and Satan is all evil, no room for dark in the light or light in the dark.

( Rolling Eyes waves TED off) That's the Christian's view of it, and for my part, it's their hang up.

Read on.........

Davelaw wrote:So, Y'all don't think gods have turf wars? And what about the tricksters and troublemakers-their actions don't result in conflict?

Actually, Dave, I don't believe in the deity Christians refer to as Satan as the evil twin of your god. Perhaps I'm the only one to ever notice this, I don't know, but all of the pictures of Satan I've ever seen bore a striking resemblance to Baal, the Canaanite and Phoenician deity. And the only battle I've ever encountered in the bible between gods was when Elijah, and the 450 prophets of Baal had a show down. Actually the gods didn't even do battle, they sent in their seconds to do the job. And again, curiously enough, your god won the show..... Like Arsenio Hall used to say on his show when he spoke of unusual happenings... "Something that makes you go Hummmmmmm" I think I'll just stand by my earlier statement. If the gods did even half of the stuff they get the blame for by humans, they wouldn't have enough time, even in their outside of time world do do anything good.

So far as I can tell, man's greed, malice, and even fear toward anything alien to their beliefs, toward anyone who has a different ethnicity, sexual orientation, belief system or culture is the culprit here. Not the gods. And to ease their conscience over these acts, they have the old reliable fall back of saying their actions were commanded by their gods. You can continue to believe whatever you like, but I suspect there's less godly (or even Satanic) instances of mass murder and the like than there is of man simply trying to justify his actions against his fellow humans.

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

I've seen turf wars among the gods. The problem with comparing them to the eddas and what not is the pagan gods turf wars always were inter-pantheistic. It was a private fight. The god projected in the bible took it into other religion's gods.

The story in 1 Kings 18 is nothing more that a one-upmanship testosterone-filled pissing contest between the bible god and the gods of nearby peoples.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:I've seen turf wars among the gods. The problem with comparing them to the eddas and what not is the pagan gods turf wars always were inter-pantheistic. It was a private fight. The god projected in the bible took it into other religion's gods.

I don't know if I'd call them turf wars, SG. The only ones I can think of were the Greek gods who did a lot of infighting trying to snuggle up closer in favoritism to Zeus. I don't recall them going after entire nations, however; just usually one of the other god's favorite human heroes. Oneupmanship is more what I'd call it here too..... And definitely showing human qualities in the process.

sacrificialgoddess wrote:The story in 1 Kings 18 is nothing more that a one-upmanship testosterone-filled pissing contest between the bible god and the gods of nearby peoples.

Like I said, they sent in their seconds.... they didn't even show up for the event as I recall.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:21 pm

That is why I said earlier that it is a human frailty to have turf wars and pissing contests,

I do think better then that, of Advanced beings. No, I do believe they have good and perhaps not good sides, but petty bickering is counter productive and from their point of view I think they are above petty bickering.

my two pence

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:52 pm

There can only be one
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:27 am

Davelaw wrote:There can only be one

We ain't talking about the cola wars here, Dave. And that snide comment sorta confirms all I said so far about the gods getting the blame for the stupid shit people pull. In person this assinine comment would set off, if nothing else, a shouting match. Thank you for proving my point so eloquently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 am

It's a reference to the Highlander franchise-and its not a snide comment but a nudge nudge wink wink comment-at least for fanboys.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 am

Davelaw wrote:It's a reference to the Highlander franchise-and its not a snide comment but a nudge nudge wink wink comment-at least for fanboys.

OK, Dave, I'll play your straight man for a second or two. What prompted the "nudge nudge wink wink"? Checking back, I can see no reference to "fanboys" or Highlander franchise. All I have to base any remarks on are previous posts. If it seems to reference one of the above, then I take it at face value.... So, if it's no problem for you, please enlighten me as to how that remark fit into the conversation? In other words, show this dumb old Cajun where he went wrong in reading it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:56 am

It seemed to me at the time that these talk of gods were more like immortal highlanders and so I said "there could only be one" talking to the invisible base of fanboys in a metaphoric sense.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:28 am

Davelaw wrote:It seemed to me at the time that these talk of gods were more like immortal highlanders and so I said "there could only be one" talking to the invisible base of fanboys in a metaphoric sense.

Rolling Eyes I gotta remember there are just some questions I should bever ask. Good save, David.

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:44 am

The dudes in Highlander kill each other off until there's only one of them left.

The implication appears to be that all you guys' deities will kill each other off until only Dave's "one" is left.

Good movie, btw, somewhat relevant to the discussion at hand since their method of offing each other is generally not only quite violent but very bloody indeed.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 am

Well, in all truth, I do think that there are squabbles within the pantheons and most likely squabbles between pantheons simply because in my tradition we ascribe to "As above, so below" hypothesis. There might be a glory hunter god or two that dream of conquering all the other gods, but just as on earth, the other gods aren't going to let that happen. I believe they strive for balance, co-operation and agreements between the pantheons, just as we do between our various countries.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 am

Well, I seriously doubt any god is planning to kill off all the other gods, Balder notwithstanding.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:26 am

True! I think that would be rather a lonely end. So many of them do appreciate the joys of sex and raising a glass with their buddies.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:36 am

Davelaw wrote:It seemed to me at the time that these talk of gods were more like immortal highlanders and so I said "there could only be one" talking to the invisible base of fanboys in a metaphoric sense.

I fail to see the correlation, but I suppose this is as good an analogy as any. Not being a fan of the Highlander, never watching any of the movies, or the series that they spawned, I'm going to have to let you have your nudges and winks and simply scratch until I can offer a halfway intelligent response.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Well, I seriously doubt any god is planning to kill off all the other gods, Balder notwithstanding.

But Loki, (who plotted Balder's murder) was described as a j├Âtunn, or giant in some Norse mythology, not really a god, but rather a super human along the lines of those angels who came and bred with earth humans, thus creating a race of humanoids like Goliath. I don't think it would be fair to include this entity as a god set on killing off all of the other gods. BTW, he later was referred to as a troll. Notice for all of his antics, he was never referred along the lines of Satan in Christiology.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 am

I have watched the Highlander, and although the immortals in question were skilled, and acquired those they had slain's knowledge. I never considered them gods of any kind.

I have never equated the highlander beings with The gods of old.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 am

If you can be killed off, . . . were you ever actually even an "immortal"? scratch

Just thinking out loud.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top