If you ask you will recieve.

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: If you ask you will recieve.

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:17 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Of course, it's no secret, but as John said I would agree. When I first got into New Thought, I was a bit skeptical of the Law of Attraction. The more I studied and observed, though, the more I realized how very real it was. Nothing is an accident, nothing is chance, nothing is random, and nothing 'just happens'. All effects are the result of a cause, it's just the way the universe is. Some things aren't 'energy' while some things are 'mundane', everything is energy and everything every minute of every day is a reality created by energy, whether for better or for worse. The benefit (IMO) of New Thought, or at least the biggest, is realizing that then using it to one's advantage, rather than to one's disadvantage as the general population does. The LoA is not a popular view, and when I was 5, neither was the idea that I couldn't live on chocolate and ice cream and had to eat vegetables.

Although I firmly believe that one could live his entire life on nothing more than chocolate cake and ice cream, soon that prospect would come to be as painful as facing a huge bowl of Brussels Sprouts. Wink So it all evens out, I suppose.

On a different tack, though Joseph, did you ever get the book Celestine Prophesy and read it? I thought about it when you mentioned the part of nothing happening by coincidence. That theme is prevalent through out the book, and even shows how it applies in our lives. In fact, the notion of us even getting to know each other is a part of that process.

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:21 am

I never did, John. I have a hard time finding and making time to read. I did see the movie when it came out and enjoyed it greatly (yeah, I'm sure the book is better. Wink )

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:26 am

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I never did, John. I have a hard time finding and making time to read. I did see the movie when it came out and enjoyed it greatly (yeah, I'm sure the book is better. Wink )

The movie tried as best it could to follow the book to the letter, but the movie just couldn't do it justice in a 90 minute format. This is a book that I have found I read, and reread. I always discover something new in it when I do.

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:29 am

This is one of the things that we'll always disagree on (we as in people in general), simply because its a different view of how we understand the Universe to operate. The same goes for people who believe the world is flat and people who believe the Universe was created in 7 days - if you have a fundamental belief of 'this is how the Universe is and works' you can't digest another different belief.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks, John. It's one I may have to buy and add to my collection. Right now the only thing I'm reading is Legal Guide for Police and my other umpteen textbooks. pale

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:01 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Thanks, John. It's one I may have to buy and add to my collection. Right now the only thing I'm reading is Legal Guide for Police and my other umpteen textbooks. pale

If you're considering anything in law enforcement, Joseph, then you also need to pick up a copy of the Gift of Fear too. It will serve you well in the long run.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Davelaw wrote:obviously, we believe it to be defensive action by non peacefuls trying to destroy harmony
That is the point, my gods are not trying to destroy anyone's harmony. Just as other gods, followers are not trying to destroy anyone's harmony.

Your god has nothing to defend against.

Last edited by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:06 pm

then you have nothing to worry about-if they don't attack-there won't be a battle
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Since you responded to my previous post I will add

The way it is
written by many of the god of the bible's followers, it is the God of
the bible that is the aggressor.
Not the other way around.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:09 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Since you responded to my previous post I will add

The way it is
written by many of the god of the bible's followers, it is the God of
the bible that is the aggressor.
Not the other way around.

thats always a matter of perspective-isn't it?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:13 pm

Davelaw wrote:obviously, we believe it to be defensive action by non peacefuls trying to destroy harmony
IMHO the Christian god is one of the worst non-peacefull dieties ever.....
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 pm

I have never experienced any other gods that wanted to fight or destroy anyone else's gods, there may be stories in legend of epic battles, but the only full time book I have seen any of that in is the bible.
And personal experience with my gods, tells me their is no blood lust and battle hungry gods among them.

So why these things keep being stated , about other gods being defeated, by the God of the bible is beyond me. Question

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:19 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:I have never experienced any other gods that wanted to fight or destroy anyone else's gods, there may be stories in legend of epic battles, but the only full time book I have seen any of that in is the bible.

The Christian god's body count in the bible is pretty horrific.

And it's promised to come back and continue the bloodshed.

Not a peacefull diety in any sense of the word....
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:22 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:I have never experienced any other gods that wanted to fight or destroy anyone else's gods, there may be stories in legend of epic battles, but the only full time book I have seen any of that in is the bible.
And personal experience with my gods, tells me their is no blood lust and battle hungry gods among them.

So why these things keep being stated , about other gods being defeated, by the God of the bible is beyond me. Question

try the EDDA's and Ragnarock-or Kalki ending the age of Kali or Matreya ending the age of illusion-Mithra and the Bull of the Cosmos- the Titans and the Olympians
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:24 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Thanks, John. It's one I may have to buy and add to my collection. Right now the only thing I'm reading is Legal Guide for Police and my other umpteen textbooks. pale

If you're considering anything in law enforcement, Joseph, then you also need to pick up a copy of the Gift of Fear too. It will serve you well in the long run.

Thanks! I'll look into it. This semester is Criminal Photography and Con Law, w/english and psych.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Amazon (and ebay) loves me this week. I've ordered both seasons of Hart to Hart, my expensive psych textbook, Grimlins 1 and 2 on dvd today (after realizing I didn't have them!), A Wrinkle in Time and Hatchet for my young siblings, and How to Make Anyone Fall in Love With You for me simply for shits and giggles. Now I'm looking at the Gift of Fear. Laughing Bought it! Oh yeah and a coworker had me order a book of shadows since she doesn't have 'net.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Davelaw wrote:

try the EDDA's and Ragnarock-or Kalki ending the age of Kali or Matreya ending the age of illusion-Mithra and the Bull of the Cosmos- the Titans and the Olympians

They pale compared to the Christian god's rampages....
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:10 pm

True JJ, and my gods are not the Norse gods although I do have respect for them.
And their technique is different and so are the motives. And oddly the motives are what matters most.
The Norse gods are not cream puff by any means, but they do not threaten you for not believing in them or following them.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:22 pm

jumbojava wrote:

It's certianly portrayed that way, isn't it. But I think it's all about man trying to justify their actions which are decidedly ungodly. It's easier to sluff the blame by saying that someone's god ordained it to be that way, rather than just admitting that men are greedy, and in some instances evil. All gods at one time or another get blamed for a lot of stuff they never had anything to do with in the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:
jumbojava wrote:

It's certianly portrayed that way, isn't it. But I think it's all about man trying to justify their actions which are decidedly ungodly. It's easier to sluff the blame by saying that someone's god ordained it to be that way, rather than just admitting that men are greedy, and in some instances evil. All gods at one time or another get blamed for a lot of stuff they never had anything to do with in the first place.

I agree, I'm trying to be fair and not point fingers at this god or any other who's being blamed for things he probably never said or did.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:26 pm

And that same sentiment can be applied to Satan as well. The devil gets a lot of blame where it don't belong as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:47 pm

John A. Cancienne wrote:And that same sentiment can be applied to Satan as well. The devil gets a lot of blame where it don't belong as well.

But Satan is all bad, remember. That's the distinct Christian dualism, God is all good and Satan is all evil, no room for dark in the light or light in the dark.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I generally feel similar, I do not blame the Bible god for all the things his followers have done, and I do not believe in a devil being at all.

People want approval for the evil deeds they do so they say their god wanted it. Or they want to get off the hook and blame their devil.

I do not believe the gods have anything to do with any of it. Any of the gods.
Which is one of the reasons I find it ridiculous to say that one god will defeat another. For what purpose? There isn't any reason. And of recently, only those following this poor woe begotten Abrahamic god are the ones doing the threatening.

The gods know what they are doing they don't need people threatening each other in their names

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 pm

All I can go by is my own contact with Yahweh and he didn't have any problems with other gods nor with the people who followed them. His followers might be projecting their own warmongering ways upon their god.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:41 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
John A. Cancienne wrote:
jumbojava wrote:

I agree, I'm trying to be fair and not point fingers at this god or any other who's being blamed for things he probably never said or did.
I agree.

I contibute all the waring and bloodshed supposedly committed by dieties as fantasies and myths.

It's the people who commit such atrocities in the name of their god is what worries -and saddens- me.
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top