Non-Christians = Feeder Fish for the God-Damned.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Non-Christians = Feeder Fish for the God-Damned.

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Because it is suppose to represent so much wealth that they can waste it on building roads? Maybe? Maybe not?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Very nice. Interesting thought

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:00 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Very nice. Interesting thought
Who's gonna have the job of keeping the streets pollished....???
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:06 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Why does heaven have golden streets? That is not my idea of any heaven, not even when I believed in one.

I know off topic, but it annoys me. Rolling Eyes

I didn't know heaven has golden streets? It's not the way I picture it!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Why does heaven have golden streets? That is not my idea of any heaven, not even when I believed in one.

symbolic-the things most precious to us are so common they are used to pave the roads
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:18 pm

MC, & Beribee...I didn't know about the golden streets either, until I ran into a shit load of Southern Baptists & Pentecostals. Catholics know of Pearly Gates, but thats it.
Whose gonna polish them? Maybe its that crowd in Purgatory.....sheesh, I can see it now, .....forced child labor.

Sorry, that was crase of me, wasn't it?
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 pm

Davelaw wrote:

symbolic-the things most precious to us are so common they are used to pave the roads

****pictures the streets paved with coffee grounds....***

Hm, a summer rain in heaven could be ..... heaven! CoffeeCup
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 pm

not the grounds -paved with beans
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:40 pm

I thought it was paved with good intentions?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Apparently, American Baptists aren't up on the particulars of the streets in heaven! I would also think that since it's heaven we're talking about, it's perfect, so therefore the golden streets would never need to be polished....which of course, fits in with my non-belief of purgatory!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm

gillyflower wrote:I thought it was paved with good intentions?

No, no Gilly....that's the road to hell!!! Silly girl!! Laughing

Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 am

There are SO many damn metaphors in Revelation that one could NEVER know anything about . . . .well, anything, and must rely totally on the interpretation of men. Of course, there would be no actual "streets of gold". It is just humans trying to make some place SOOO extravagant so they could potentially gain the most number of converts. Well, . . . that, and the fear of burning for all eternity, . . but I digress.

SG, who's the girl in your avatar?
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:28 am

uh, Revelation wasn't written to gain converts. It was written to give hope and promise revenge for those suffering intense persecution.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:54 am

DeavonReye wrote:There are SO many damn metaphors in Revelation that one could NEVER know anything about . . . .well, anything, and must rely totally on the interpretation of men. Of course, there would be no actual "streets of gold". It is just humans trying to make some place SOOO extravagant so they could potentially gain the most number of converts. Well, . . . that, and the fear of burning for all eternity, . . but I digress.

On the left is the beautiful and talented Tori Amos. Her music has molded my life. In the center, me. On the right, my handsome husband, Anthony. He takes me to a Tori concert every time she tours, because he loves me! Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jumbojava on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 am

Davelaw wrote:uh, Revelation wasn't written to gain converts. It was written to give hope and promise revenge for those suffering intense persecution.
Does that mean the second coming is actually the revenge of the Christian god...???
jumbojava

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:37 am

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
On the left is the beautiful and talented Tori Amos. Her music has molded my life. In the center, me. On the right, my handsome husband, Anthony. He takes me to a Tori concert every time she tours, because he loves me! Very Happy

You got to meet her and get a picture! WOW, how super. Great picture. Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:
DeavonReye wrote:There are SO many damn metaphors in Revelation that one could NEVER know anything about . . . .well, anything, and must rely totally on the interpretation of men. Of course, there would be no actual "streets of gold". It is just humans trying to make some place SOOO extravagant so they could potentially gain the most number of converts. Well, . . . that, and the fear of burning for all eternity, . . but I digress.

You are awesome, and are married to an awesome guy. I can see why you smile. Smile
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:22 pm

To each hir own...don't care for Tori Amos much myself.

Wish to hell I'd had a chance to get a pic of me next to Stephen Lynch when we heard him in concert last fall. Now, THAT's talent! (Actually, he merely talks extremely dirty quite cleverly, but the guy is FUNNY.)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 pm

Davelaw wrote:uh, Revelation wasn't written to gain converts. It was written to give hope and promise revenge for those suffering intense persecution.

Dave,
If you're saying that the Revelation of John was written for the people living at the time of it's writing (around 95 CE) following the destruction of Jerusalem and the persecution of the seven churches of Asia Minor the book actually makes some sense. Obviously, the scarlet colored seven-headed beast with the woman riding it is Rome, ancient Rome.
When the prophesy failed to come true, later Christians were forced to extend the promised events further and further into the future. This pattern continues today.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:44 am

agreed except for the last part

number one
even secular scholars don't speak of apocalyptic literature as prophecy that failed to come true but as the message of the persecuted disguised as prophetic language

number two

I've never been shy about admiting that my pov is from a literalist inerrantist perspective; so how does what i said previously accord with that perspective

i believe that scripture is often dual in purpose-with a meaning for the intended audience and then a broader meaning which only becomes clear over the recesses of time

that why I can affirm that Isaiah was speaking to Ahaz about current events and prophesying about a coming Messiah

or why I think the Revelator was speaking to seven actual Asian churches and prophetical dividing the future Church into seven distinct types with the predominant type now bwing the Last where christians think they are well-off and don't see their own spiritual poverty
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:24 am

That's sort of what Stephen King does, isn't it? He writes for the enjoyment and with meaning for the present audience but then his writing could be prophecies with broader meanings, a dual perspective if one decided that. He probably doesn't know that his is a prophet though. I bet he thought he was just making a buck writing for the current generation.

The point is that you could really apply what you said to practically any writer's work. Nostradamus anyone?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:29 am

gillyflower wrote:That's sort of what Stephen King does, isn't it? He writes for the enjoyment and with meaning for the present audience but then his writing could be prophecies with broader meanings, a dual perspective if one decided that. He probably doesn't know that his is a prophet though. I bet he thought he was just making a buck writing for the current generation.

The point is that you could really apply what you said to practically any writer's work. Nostradamus anyone?

if you left out the Divine inspiration aspect, yes
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:32 am

I think that negates talent. One can believe that the Gods give mankind their various talents or one can believe that it is a combination of a talent, hard work, ambition and luck when anyone manages to produce what the people of that time frame want to hear. Or one writes exactly what the bosses pushing an agenda want to spread, eh?

I left our the shrewdness of having the right marketing technique, too, and being able to tell what it is that the market wants.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:35 am

Writing for the bible is the same as writing for any other anthology. You got to please the editors. There are plenty of other articles, equally inspired, that didn't make the cut.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:40 am

not equally inspired-that where we differ

the pretenders knew the other writings were there and tried to be included
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top