best TV shows never to be released on DVD

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

best TV shows never to be released on DVD

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm

was reading thru a list with that title and was reminded of the 1990-91 series Shannon's Deal-a John Sayles brain child-it was one of the most realistic portrayals of a American Criminal Defense "Street Lawyer"

Shannon was a high powered civil lawyer, who almost gets disbarred but loses everything else thru his gambling addiction-and then tries to rebuild his life as a store front criminal defender. Gritty and realisitic including unpaid bills, phones almost getting turned off, secretaries "holding their checks for a week" etc...

there is an episode of The Mentalist that seemed vaguely familiar -main character gives mobster advise on his golf game to gain information I now realize I had seen a version of that dialogue years before on Shannon's Deal

I used to think I hated Lawyer Shows. Perry Mason, LA Law, the Practice. But now I realize, I hate Idealized Lawyer Shows give me Rumpole of the Bailey or Shannon's Deal and I like it just fine
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Re: best TV shows never to be released on DVD

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Law and Order is excellent.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:Law and Order is excellent.

but doesn't really portray the prosecutor's as the a-moral bunch who prosecute anyone regardless of guilt that they really are
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah, it shows lawyers as human. What a rip!

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:13 pm

We can have different opinons; thats what makes us human.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Are you saying lawyers can't be human?

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:54 pm

I am a Lawyer. I am saying Law and Order only humanizes the prosecutors and not the defense. It shows the prosecutors always doing the right thing even when they lose; when in my opinion prosecutors often choose to do the wrong thing i.e. prosecute the innocent becuase they know they can persuade a Jury to give them a conviction.

Joseph, you do know that I am a real Lawyer and to me this is real life and not theory?
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Ah, I see what you're saying now regarding the prosecutors and defense. I was thrown for a loop there because I didn't read it right. I thought you were a lawyer! That's why I was confused when I thought you were saying all lawyers were a-moral.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:15 pm

as long as we are on the same page

and not all prosecutors are a-moral ; but some are- and TV really does not show that
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 pm

That really sucks.

You should write a book, Dave.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:53 pm

i have the idea for a few; mostly NOT about lawyers
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:56 pm

I've been called for jury duty on Monday, Dave. I'm thinking I'll take my laptop and do some work while I'm waiting to be dismissed. Last time I was called for a murder trial, they dismissed everyone with advanced education. Is that normal?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:57 pm

Your kidding? They do not want smart people on a jury? What do they want?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:00 pm

not necessarily; usually they only dismiss for education or experience if it could impact the case in some way-you don't a scientist or engineer on a case with experts becuase they are trained to second guess experts

I dismiss teachers on cases with kids and dope-because they know kids will lie about having dope
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:00 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:Your kidding? They do not want smart people on a jury? What do they want?

blank slates
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:09 pm

The lady next to me was chosen. She really, really did not want to be picked and was so scared and intimidated that her voice and knees shook. I think they wanted people they thought they could intimidate/sway?

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 pm

ahh, I see, that sadly makes some sense, that type is more moldable, and perhaps they think can be more influenced?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:13 pm

that can be the case sometimes- the defense is looking for the people who will follow their conscience even if it disagrees with everyone else-hung jury
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Makes sense Thank you Dave Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow, did I learn alot here! Thanks gang!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:34 pm

There must be something wrong with me. I'm sixty-two-years-old, have moved quite infrequently and have never once been called for jury duty. My wife has been called one time in Northern Virginia, about two weeks after we moved about 200 miles to Southeastern Virginia, which, of course, got her excused.
Prosecutors wouldn't like me because I don't necessarily accept what they say at face value, I'm willing to hang a jury if I feel strongly enough about my take on the evidence, and in a capital case would not vote for the capital punishment unless I'm convinced of guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt. I've visited the Innocence Project web site and realize there have been innocent people sentenced to death.
I have no idea if defense attorneys would dismiss me or not.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:53 pm

I was called once and forgot to show.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:56 pm

Hart to Hart was released on DVD and I bought the first and second season - They're cheap on Amazon.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:32 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I was called once and forgot to show.

Oh wow. Be glad you didn't do that where I am. The judge sent the sheriffs after everyone who did not show up.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:00 pm

gillyflower wrote:
TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I was called once and forgot to show.

Oh wow. Be glad you didn't do that where I am. The judge sent the sheriffs after everyone who did not show up.

Yeah, a friend also got one and forgot to show around the same time. She called the courthouse and they said that if the case was postponed or dismissed, as they usually are for the most part, it was no big deal. So I didn't bother to call about my case and they never bothered to keep in touch.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top