Torchwood mini series

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Torchwood mini series

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:25 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:How long before they decide to take everyone of reproductive age in addition to the children so that they don't have to go through the process of taking them again?

Unworkable. The alien only got sufficient jollies from prepubescent kids. (Which, of course, triggered the audience's protective instincts and empathy.)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Now, some of carry semi-autos. What can I say, the ammo is much cheaper when you compare 9mm vs .38, or even .45 ACP v .45 Colt. Practice, practice, practice!

I can see how it would be difficult to write a season 4, Russel T. Davies said he had a plan in the behind the scenes for a season 4 if the BBC will have them back.

Here's how I could see it working out....

I don't remember all the names off the top of my head right now, but...

Gwen, only as a consultant. Her character was kind of flat anyway, and now she has a family. The torch (so to speak) is passed off to the two gals who wore the contacts and the military police gal who sided with Cap Jack in day five.

all

I was thinking along the same lines-Gwen as consultant, the two women and the scientist from the ministry and the military police woman as well as the police man -that makes a core group of 5 plus Gwen
give sthem access to Torchwood software as well as other secret government access from both the ministry and the military
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:29 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:How long before they decide to take everyone of reproductive age in addition to the children so that they don't have to go through the process of taking them again?

Unworkable. The alien only got sufficient jollies from prepubescent kids. (Which, of course, triggered the audience's protective instincts and empathy.)

Yes, but the people of reproductive age can be bred. They can even begin selection for specific "flavors". You've got to look past the immediate. We did it to cows after all.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:29 am

Once you have taken millions, you no longer have a small fraction of the race, but an organized crime structure supporting millions of users. We used that to break China back in the Opium wars.

China would only sell silk and tea for gold, they wanted no pollution of other nations or races, not even allowing our merchants to leave the trade enclaves to see the people. Sick of bleeding gold on the Chinese trade, we used the poppies of India and Afghanistan to introduce them to opium, within a generation we had all the gold back, they had sold us tea plants that now cover India, and the nations of Europe were dividing up the China.

I somehow don't see 456 as having the resistance to the drugs to turn back once millions of their own were addicted, and they had the power to subjugate the crop that could fill that need. Why harvest a tithe, when you can factory farm? Why allow humans birth control? Have a kid a year, we will let you keep enough to keep the breeding population. Why not look at fertility drugs to increase the productivity? Factory farming of humanity because you can never really meet the demand for almost free powerful drugs.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:31 am

I was thinking along the same lines-Gwen as consultant, the two women and the scientist from the ministry and the military police woman as well as the police man -that makes a core group of 5 plus Gwen
give sthem access to Torchwood software as well as other secret government access from both the ministry and the military

Gwen could show them the ropes from the beginning, and that would be a good way to segue from one to another.

However, after all this, there needs to be a big shake up in the government. They can't just leave it as is.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:36 am

John T Mainer wrote:Once you have taken millions, you no longer have a small fraction of the race, but an organized crime structure supporting millions of users. We used that to break China back in the Opium wars.

China would only sell silk and tea for gold, they wanted no pollution of other nations or races, not even allowing our merchants to leave the trade enclaves to see the people. Sick of bleeding gold on the Chinese trade, we used the poppies of India and Afghanistan to introduce them to opium, within a generation we had all the gold back, they had sold us tea plants that now cover India, and the nations of Europe were dividing up the China.

I somehow don't see 456 as having the resistance to the drugs to turn back once millions of their own were addicted, and they had the power to subjugate the crop that could fill that need. Why harvest a tithe, when you can factory farm? Why allow humans birth control? Have a kid a year, we will let you keep enough to keep the breeding population. Why not look at fertility drugs to increase the productivity? Factory farming of humanity because you can never really meet the demand for almost free powerful drugs.

Hm, what if we take control after enough of them are addicted? We start using our own children as commodities to trade for higher and higher technology until we can take over them. An addict will do just about anything for a fix, why not use that?

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:37 am

However, after all this, there needs to be a big shake up in the government. They can't just leave it as is.

that was implied

"I think i'll be making a lot more decisons from now on" or something to that effect
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Yeah, but what does that mean? I think this would be a revolutionary type offense. Would the populace be pacified by a change in power, or would they be riled up to the point of overthrowing the whole mess?

What would torchwoods role be in all this?

I think we've got great fodder for a few seasons here.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:23 pm

the PM will stay as a puppet under the threat of exposure
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah, but that can't last for ever.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:46 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote: I can see how it would be difficult to write a season 4, Russel T. Davies said he had a plan in the behind the scenes for a season 4 if the BBC will have them back.

He may well have been lying. Davies is off to Hollywood so, if there is a season 4, he will be only nominally involved.

John T Mainer wrote: Did anyone else recognize the futility of the 10%. The major seemed to. When they were told the children made chemicals that made the aliens "feel good" the gov't should have realized that 12 children fed the hunger that demanded millions of children; how many junkies would millions make? How desperate would they become when their drug problem spread through the whole of their race? How hard not to come back for 20%, after all, we paid before, and if we were going to fight it would have been then right?

Pay the Danegeld, and never be rid of the Dane. You'd think the English of all people would have remembered.

Those of us watching the series did notice and remember that. Given that one of Torchwood's themes was the failings of humanity, it may have been intentional that the characters didn't.

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote: How long before they decide to take everyone of reproductive age in addition to the children so that they don't have to go through the process of taking them again? Wouldn't it just be a matter of time before they decided on "domestication"?

Unworkable. If you remember, we saw one of the original 12 kids at one point and s/he looked like a rather ill kid still. We know the 456 were extracting some sort of drug from the kids and if that process prevents the kids getting older, the logical deduction is that they're shooting up on growth hormones. That would prevent the kids ever reaching sexual maturity and therefore, prevent them being domesticated.

Besides, why bother? Humanity is mostly confined to this one small world, you know where it is. They've surrendered before, they can't or won't hurt you and few of them have the capacity to flee. Why bother going through the trouble of taking control?
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 am

I was thinking of taking people who were already of reproductive age. They already know that the children are offspring, so why not take some that can create more offspring?

Yes, they have surrendered before, but that does not mean that they will always surrender.

I didn't know he was off to Hollywood. It's kind of sad, really.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:39 am

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:I was thinking of taking people who were already of reproductive age. They already know that the children are offspring, so why not take some that can create more offspring?

Yes, they have surrendered before, but that does not mean that they will always surrender.

I didn't know he was off to Hollywood. It's kind of sad, really.

all

it seems humans can only survive that noxious environment if physically attached to an alien-makes it rather hard to breed them
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Hollywood, or 456 land? Laughing

That's something I hadn't thought of actually. Still, they were able to tell us how to make an enclosed environment for them, one would think that they might be able to make something for a breeding pair.

They might only have use for them after they reach a certain age as well though. It's one thing to induce offspring from an individual, it's quite another to get them to care for it.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:34 pm

Davelaw wrote:Brilliant just Brilliant

Hey, I actually agree! Smile

Though one could of course nitpick ... but overall this mini series was quite effective and well done!

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:24 pm

It is sitting on my DVR waiting to be watched.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm

I enjoyed it so much! I wish I had watched the first two seasons - it was riveting.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:22 am

gillyflower wrote:I enjoyed it so much! I wish I had watched the first two seasons - it was riveting.

Apparently the first 2 seasons weren't so good though.

Btw. Did you know that 'Torchwood' is an anagram of 'Doctor Who' (the original series it was spun off)? Very Happy

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:17 am

Season 1 was a bit rough around the edges. Had some good ideas but Tosh and Ianto were pretty flat characters and there was far too much Narm. Season 2 was a vast improvement. Tosh and especially Ianto became fully rounded characters (complete with deadpan snark in Ianto's case), the CG was much improved (although still BBC quality) and the show develops mini-arcs. Highlight is Jack's epic reunion/bar-brawl with John Hart. The wedding episode is still atrocious though.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:14 pm

Celsus wrote:
gillyflower wrote:I enjoyed it so much! I wish I had watched the first two seasons - it was riveting.

I disagree emphatically. We watched each and every episode, oftentimes dashing home from dinner out even though we were recording it, and found virtually every episode exciting and quite original. As soon as a season became available on DVD, we bought it.

Both hubby and I will be extremely disappointed if Children of Earth marks the end of the series. If that proves to be so as seems likely, at least we can anticipate John Barrowman's occasional appearances as Capt. Jack on Doctor Who.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daldianus on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:17 am

DotNotInOz wrote:
Celsus wrote:

I disagree emphatically. We watched each and every episode, oftentimes dashing home from dinner out even though we were recording it, and found virtually every episode exciting and quite original. As soon as a season became available on DVD, we bought it.

Both hubby and I will be extremely disappointed if Children of Earth marks the end of the series. If that proves to be so as seems likely, at least we can anticipate John Barrowman's occasional appearances as Capt. Jack on Doctor Who.

Apparently there will be a 4th season.

Daldianus

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:48 am

Yay! I may be late coming to it but I've really enjoyed what I've seen and I can't say that about a many series, lately.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:50 pm

Celsus wrote:Apparently there will be a 4th season.

Where'd you hear that, C?

Only thing I've heard is Davies's statement during the "making of" segment that he's got ideas for a 4th season if the BBC picks it up again. Did they?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Torchwood 4--update

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:25 pm

Been announced that Season 4 will be screened in the summer of 2011.

Some strange new characters, but what else is new?

Should be interesting that the bulk of the action will be set in the U.S. Davies has gone Hollywood all the way, it seems. Hmmmm....
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:47 am

I'm willing to give it a try but I'm not holding out much hope.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top