View previous topic View next topic Go down

Torchwood mini series

Post by Davelaw on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Brilliant just Brilliant
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Re: Torchwood mini series

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Oh, I have heard. I haven't seen, not just yet, but I have heard.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:16 am

Yeah, last night's episode was simply stunning.

I continue to be astounded at how creative and original that show is.

It also deserves commendation for portraying Jack Harkness as an omnisexual and surprise! simply a different type of person.

Incidentally, anyone interested in what determines sexual orientation will find BBC America's program, The Making of Me: John Barrowman, fascinating. The show focuses on the investigation of current research by the actor who plays Harkness.

Among the more intriguing theories he discovers is that a startling number of gay men have more than two older brothers. The more older brothers a man has (including any males his mother miscarried), the likelihood of his being gay increases substantially. The theory is that multiple male fetuses result in production of an antibody by the mother's body, similar to the reaction to donor tissue or the rh factor. Somehow, probably having to do with the amount of testosterone produced, this results in the boy being gay.

Since BBC America tends to repeat shows, I'm guessing that this one will be on again. Watch your listings for it. It was fascinating.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:59 pm

I'm loving it so far. We just got directv in the Feb so I hadn't really watched much Torchwood before. I love the ones where you don't know what the real enemy is, or what is going on and they develop the story as you go. If you know the enemy, you can confront it, and it just doesn't seem that scary to me. "We are coming, back, tomorrow" and "We are here" coming from the kids and the "Are you my mummy?" of Doctor Who's Empty Child are masterpieces!

I'm a big fan of Top Gear too!
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Day Three's conclusion was precisely the sort of shocker that Torchwood does so brilliantly.

Just when you're liking the Jack Harkness character, he does one of those stunning turnarounds that reminds you that he's almost as alien as any of the yukky-looking creatures that Torchwood is combatting.

Don't want to give any spoilers for anyone who hasn't been watching the series thus far as you really don't want to know these things beforehand. It's much more shivery to have them sprung on you.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:37 pm

I'm going to start watching now that it is on (I hope) OnDemand. I don't usually get the right channels to watch. I know people who said they weren't going to watch it again after this arc but then they were the ones who said that they weren't going to watch Primeval after the shocking turn there. I am still watching Primeval. That didn't bother me, which I think means that Torchwood won't either.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:49 pm

I couldn't get into Primeval. Just couldn't get into it.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

I love dinosaurs! Especially the kind that eat (stupid) people. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:58 pm

I think it sucks that there's no indication thus far that the BBC is going to do a regular season of Torchwood again in the near future.

All five episodes are running back-to-back on Sunday if you've not gotten into the series thus far.

The mini-series DVD will be released this coming Tuesday, 7/28.

One more on our must-have list. < sigh >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:01 pm

BBCAmerica? Or Sci-Fi?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:03 pm

It's only on BBC America.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm

BBC america- I sucked up an extra $15 a month to comcast just so I could get BBC america and watch this mini-series
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Yep, sounds like us, Dave.

We subscribed to an entire additional tier on both cable when we were on it and then DirectTV simply to get BBC America for Dr. Who and Torchwood. Had to take out the maximum package on Uverse, which we just got, to get all the arcane stuff hubby and I like.

But then, Torchwood, Dr. Who and NY Yankees games comprise the bulk of our entertainment. We lead a circumscribed existence. < heh >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm

Dave, I refused. If you have OnDemand from Comcast, you will find it there I think for free under series.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm

it was worth it _ i now have 150 more channels including GAC and VH1`classic-not to mention the new Dr Who coming saturday on BBC America
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:41 pm

all this stuff will eventually come to SyFy but only as filler to sandwhich between their Wrestling and their Horror plus Being Human looks really good too
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 pm

they did it again; my DVR is definitely going to be playing in the wee hours tomorrow when i come home from going out
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Warehouse 13 is pretty good. Have you caught any of it, Dave?

Day Four of Torchwood was simply stunning.

I now have no idea whatsoever what they're going to do in the final episode. I have a couple of nasty suspicions along the lines of "NO! They can't do that! It would simply be too damn awful," but if they do, it won't surprise me after the ending of tonight's episode.

Talk about dealing with immensely complex moral and ethical dilemmas. Sheeit! what a series!!!
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 pm

nope, I have not had the pleasure; nor have I got to watch every prior Torchwood episode but i think I've seen all the Torchwood and captain Jack episodes on Dr. Who all the way back to Queen Victoria
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:12 pm

I have had to live with Kat's fangirl reaction since Day Four went out here two weeks ago.

I also know how Day Five ends. *evil grin*
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:15 pm

bastard

said in love
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 pm

You don't have to live with Kat's reaction...
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:18 pm

true enough
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:21 pm

You can get Torchwood on Spacecast.com or the Canadian Space network. I'm a die hard Torchwood fan, its been the best Sci-Fi since Farscape ended.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:07 am

Ebon wrote:I also know how Day Five ends. *evil grin*

Nothing the least bit personal, Ebon, but I have mixed feelings of envy and hatred that you know what happens and dammit all to hell and back! I won't find out for another fourteen hours, not like I'm counting or anything.

I haven't felt this much frustrated anticipation since the verge of the final Harry Potter book's release date.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top