Core Values revisited

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Core Values revisited

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 pm

As many here know I've been going through a wee bit of a crisis lately that has caused me to doubt everything I believed in. My belief in the SUPREME BEING OF PURE LOVE & as well as my belief that Love was the most powerful force in the Universe. I'm still struggling to regain my belief in the Divine. Today I sought counseling from a good friend of over 30 years, who just happens to also be a Christian Minister. Pastor Maynard Peterson. He was the Pastor of one of the Churches that I had been a Lay Youth Minister in. For some here who don't know, I was Christian until 2000. But that's a different topic. Most of my friends here from that place that shall not be named know my story. Anyway to get back on track.
Maynard was a great help to me. It might sound funny or hypocritical that I went to a Christian Minister for counseling, but Maynard has been a close friend for years. I just wanted to update all of you here. You've been very supportive of me & very Loving towards me. I love you

Back to top Go down

Re: Core Values revisited

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 pm

I do not think it hypocritical, you went to a trusted friend, he helped you, that is what matter the most.

I am not Christian, but I do believe in benevolent forces and loving spiritual energies.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vorrin on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:22 pm

I dont find it hypocritical at all. There are many places a person can find guidance. I would have an issue with someone discounting a certain belief system for whatever reason. I am not a Christian but I do read the bible as well as many other spiritual texts. I find that it makes me more well rounded.

With all that said, I find it best for me personally when I come to a spiritual crossroads to look inward instead of outward for guidance. Only you really know what you seek. That and external guides may have ulterior motives.
Vorrin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:01 pm

I've turned to my best friend for bits of guidance over the years--and he's a Christian minister. During that time I've either been Deist or Pagan. Seeking wisdom from those whom you know to have a clue is never hypocritical.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Wisdom and good counsel come from many sources.

Some people actually ARE good Christians, too.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I have to say here, I don't believe in a being of pure love. Gods, like the rest of us, have their problems and faults, the Christian god as much as any other. Like the rest of us, they try to do their best, and like the rest of us they screw up. I don't think you are being hypocritical, Alex, but I do think setting the gods on a pedestal, as it were, will lead to a nervous breakdown. Hug2

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 pm

You know SG,, you have an excellent point, wish I said that! Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:You know SG,, you have an excellent point, wish I said that! Very Happy

Very Happy

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 am

My christian upbringing caused me to seek their council, when I was going through very difficult times. I tried to do their suggestions, but in the end, all they kept telling me is that "I need to get closer to God, pray, and read the bible". Those things didn't solve the problem, but they actually created new problems in me. . . . having to do WITH "getting closer to God by cultivating an intimate relationship with Jesus/God".

When their advice was less religious, though, . . . it was helpful. I hope you find help in your delema, warlord. Smile
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:53 am

I don't know what the big whoop is about going to a Christian minister for guidance. They are after all taught how to do that in seminary. It's part of the job description for a pastor. And I don't find it hypocritical at all, even if this person weren't a friend of over thirty years. Furthermore, if you can't seek guidance from a friend, who the hell can you turn to?

I also like what SG said about placing these gods of ours on pedestals. Our deities have a job to perform. And sometimes we, regardless of which god we believe in, are going to take exception when the way they perform don't follow the course we feel this god ought to be following. This is where doubt, followed by anger often creeps in. And like SG, I don't believe there is any such thing as a god of pure love any more than I believe there are gods of pure evil.

To me, especially if I were going through the personal trauma you were living through right now, Alex, I would use the words of MalcomX. He said "By any means necessary." And if this man, minister or not, friend or not gave you some comfort, then it was time well spent.

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm

As a Deist, I, like several others here do not believe in a "happy pappy" all loving God. Deists believe in a watchmaker God who created the universe and now allows it to run on its own. Should there be a major breakdown h/she is there to repair it, but there is no need for action on a day to day or even on an eon to eon basis.
As for seeking council from an old friend who happens to be a Christian minister, I see nothing wrong with it. Nor would I see anything wrong with seeking the same from any old friend be they a Jewish rabbi, a Muslim Iman, a Wiccan High Priestess, a clinical Psychologist, or a butcher, baker, or candlestick maker.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 am

Basicly what I'm trying to say is that I'm recovering from that unspeakable shock to my values & beliefs I've gone through the last month or so. Like most here there's been other times when I've had my core values/beliefs a little shaken, but still I was able to keep them. Those here who've known me for a long time know what I'm talking about, about other events in my life. But this time was a little too much. It's like that everything I've ever believed in, how I've tried to live my life, et cetera was wrong. And I'm fighting to get that back.

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am

Sometimes you have to throw out the old, and get new. Sometimes the new is better for you. I've been there.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:51 pm

warlord, I guess I don't know your story enough to respond. I know what it is like, however, to live with the spiritual questions. Neutral
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:12 pm

I can relate to your situation somewhat, Warlord.

After 9/11, my belief in "It's all good, and there must be a karmic reason for everything that happens" simply went down the toilet.

Only some rather intriguing spirit encounters thereafter kept me from becoming a militant atheist.

Even so, I still can't believe anymore that everything works for good in the "big cosmic picture." What are "good" and "evil" but matters of individual and societal perspective oftentimes when you get right down to it?

I've pretty much adopted the Torchwood belief system, "Things will reveal themselves ultimately to be nothing whatsoever like what you want to believe." I became resolved to adapt to that reality as best I can and move on.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:59 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:
Only some rather intriguing spirit encounters thereafter kept me from becoming a militant atheist.

Unless they are private, or they are things that are none of my business Surprised , . . . . can you speak to these intriguing spirit encounters, please? Smile
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:51 pm

As I mentioned earlier, hubby and I were watching tv as Tower 2, where his sister worked on the 105th floor, fell. We were about as certain as anyone could be that she was dead although, of course, wishing that she somehow could have gotten out.

Anyway, about twenty minutes after the building fell, I heard her voice in my head...one of those "You can HEAR me?" things. I damn near fell off the chair I was sitting in at the time as mediumship had never been in my bag of tricks, so to speak.

As I cautiously "tuned in" to what I was getting, I could see in mind's eye a misty gray scene with shadowy translucent forms densely packed, most emanating panic and confusion. I realized that these must be the spirits of the people who had died on the planes, in the buildings and on the grounds. I'm not sure if I was seeing them still hovering above the site as I didn't get a sense of physical location, merely that of a big crowd of spirits shifting some upward and downward but pretty much stuck wherever they were. If you can imagine a vertical moshpit...that would be rather how this appeared.

To make a long story shorter, I was able to focus and zero in on hubby's sister in the turmoil and to convey to her to draw upon the strength she'd gotten in life from her faith. You know, a modified "Look for the light" sort of thing.

She conveyed later that that helped her immensely to free herself from the spirit-mob and move on to where she needed to be.

Within the next few months, she sometimes introduced me to people in spirit with my permission. Those were the intriguing encounters to which I referred. I don't feel at liberty to speak in more detail about those since I no longer have contact with those other spirits and would feel that I'm violating a confidence if I revealed details.

All that said, while I think that these were actual encounters, I never got anything definite that I could authenticate, so I remain somewhat skeptical. I'm decidedly an amateur--and probably a dangerous one!--where mediumship is concerned.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:10 pm

I missed the edit cutoff again, attempting to add that while my background as a debate coach would otherwise spur me to investigate if any of the spirits I met were actually people who died in the WTC that day, I felt then and still feel curiously reluctant to do so. There's no rational way to explain that other than it seems like betraying a trust.

I wonder sometimes if there is a factor of that type that leads to no results when some carefully structured paranormal experiments fail. Skeptics such as James Randi say, "Well, see. This just proves that these are mere delusions or hallucinations."

I don't know. All I know is that the encounters I experienced felt just as real as making the acquaintance of a living person and talking to them. But then, that's also how hallucinations feel, so real that those involved are convinced it did happen.

I suppose you'd have to call me "doubtful but hopeful" in this respect.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DeavonReye on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm

That is truly an amazing story, Dot. In some way, I'd like to be able to experience that. . . . . . well, not THAT experience, since so many innocent people died that day No . . . . but to have an experience that may make me wonder a bit, but still know that SOMETHING happened.
DeavonReye

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:44 pm

I believe it happened, Dot, They are your UPG's. And I do not think they are delusions. I have ideas about delusions but words fail me and I would sound like I am having them.

But Dot I do believe what you experienced was quite real. That was an energetically charged time. Making experiences such as your possible.
I am sorry you lost a loved one in that tragedy.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:49 pm

Forrest Gump wrote:Sometimes, shit happens.

I don't believe there's an all loving god, any more than I believe there's an all hating one. If there were such thing as an all loving god, we would never had the story of Adam and Eve, Cain slewing Able, nor would the Canaanites have been destroyed by the Hebrew. There would never have been a reason for the biblegod to send baby Jesus down to let the Jews crucify him. (Christian version, folks). The truth is, if there were an all loving god, we'd be sheep in a pasture somewhere rutting. I don't believe in an all evil god either. If that were true, we'd all eat our young, and life just wouldn't exist.

What could test your faith? Did the sun not come up this morning? Has the moon gone dark in the night sky? Have all of the trees and flowers wilted and died? Have the rivers run dry? These to me are examples of my deities love. They created them ,and the turned us loose on the planet. My deities direct intervention stopped there. Period. How could they do otherwise without showing favor to one or the other. There can't be partial good, and not have partial bad. They just are......

Stop, for Christ's sakes trying to lay this at the feet of deities who merely observe, and shake their heads in amazement that we managed to keep from killing each other off before the fall of Adam.

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:55 pm

Um...just so ya know, the Canaanites were never destroyed by the Hebrews.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by mlarue75 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Warlord, sometimes what's most important to us changes, and it takes a crisis to make us realize that. Take your time. I believe there are many aspects of the divine to which we can dedicate ourselves, not just love. There is truth, joy, power, wisdom, etc. We are pretty small creatures and time-bound. We can only grasp what we can comprehend and what resonates within us. I say this without knowing anything about what's troubling you, but I've been through some fairly deep s**t myself in the last half-century. Be open to surprise.
mlarue75

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm

MaineCaptain wrote:I believe it happened, Dot, They are your UPG's. And I do not think they are delusions. I have ideas about delusions but words fail me and I would sound like I am having them.

But Dot I do believe what you experienced was quite real. That was an energetically charged time. Making experiences such as your possible.
I am sorry you lost a loved one in that tragedy.

Yeah, MC, deep down I believe these encounters were actual. There was a definite feeling of meeting an individual person with each one, even to specific mannerisms and ways of speaking.

Thanks for your sympathy.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 pm

SeventhCrow wrote:Um...just so ya know, the Canaanites were never destroyed by the Hebrews.

Has anyone ever told you that you obsess over the most minute details of a story, and gloss over the important stuff? Whistling Enough were destroyed to have certain writings about it in the bible. Now personally, the bible means little to me, especially when it concerns stuff like talking snakes or men rising up from the dead.

The point, (which you obviously chose to overlook), was that there is no such thing as an all loving god. For a god to bestow blessings on one particular group, and not the other is a far cry from benevolent. But the gods I worship are equal opportunity gods. We all share in the blessings and rough spots alike. Further, I think we create our own of both; not something that's passed down from the deity.

Is that a better explanation for you Crow? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top