Teaching

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Teaching

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Random question to spice up the boards: *slaps everyone awake*

What would you do if a friend consdiered themselves to be *insert pagan-term here*, but was going about it in a completely Hollywood-ized or otherwise fluffy manner? I have attempted reccommending literature, but this particular person (I am not saying this to be rude) is not an avid reader and is barely average in intelligence (by birth); she's not dumb, she just has difficulties processing complicated information. By the same token, she keeps bouncing around, denying what she is one minute and then changing her mind and calls herself Wiccan again the next. At one point she accused me of telling her how to practice when she talked about something from Charmed which absolutely wasn't true of Wicca and I corrected her....she also seems to intentionally forget that witchcraft and Wicca are not neccessarily the same thing. I applaud her attempts at learning, and she's really been trying lately. I want to help her get a better understanding of what Wicca and paganism are, but I don't think I am able to communicate effectively to her, even though she's asked. What should I do?

Back to top Go down

Re: Teaching

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I should note that her mind is stuck at about a sixteen year old age- she thinks and behaves as though she is sixteen, though she functions just fine in day to day life. From her music to her clothes to her puppy loves and other obsessions, she is most definately a teenage girl in her mind (though she is 22). She has lived on her own, held jobs- nothing prevents her from functioning.

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Wait her out. She'll move on. Alternatively, an annotated Ravenwolf can work wonders. Assuming you can handle reading Ravenwolf all the way through without stabbing your eyes out so that you can actually annotate it.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 pm

Tameless_Heart wrote:Random question to spice up the boards: *slaps everyone awake*

What would you do if a friend consdiered themselves to be *insert pagan-term here*, but was going about it in a completely Hollywood-ized or otherwise fluffy manner? I have attempted reccommending literature, but this particular person (I am not saying this to be rude) is not an avid reader and is barely average in intelligence (by birth); she's not dumb, she just has difficulties processing complicated information. By the same token, she keeps bouncing around, denying what she is one minute and then changing her mind and calls herself Wiccan again the next. At one point she accused me of telling her how to practice when she talked about something from Charmed which absolutely wasn't true of Wicca and I corrected her....she also seems to intentionally forget that witchcraft and Wicca are not neccessarily the same thing. I applaud her attempts at learning, and she's really been trying lately. I want to help her get a better understanding of what Wicca and paganism are, but I don't think I am able to communicate effectively to her, even though she's asked. What should I do?

The only solution for ignorance is education. If they are unwilling to learn, they never will. Perhaps if she has issues with reading, one of the numerous pagan pod casts, or youtube video's may be more conducive to her education.

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:12 am

If they are unwilling to learn, I have found more often than not, pretty quickly they move on to a fluffy kind of Christianity.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:20 am

That's my experience too. What you hope is that they carry away a decent impression of your religion or the people in it, even if it is not for them.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Hmmm....I could try to Ravenwolf thing. I haven't read anything by her in....well, I don't think I've ever read anything by Ravenwolf. Might be entertaining. I hadn't thought of podcasts. I will look into that. Seshen did post those youtube vids awhile back, I guess i could reccommend those....thanks everyone, wish me luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaineCaptain on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:04 pm

Very good luck to you my friend Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 pm

Thank you Maine. ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post by itty on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:18 am

I have people I know who bounce from next big thing to next big thing. I have to say this is one that will sort itself out.
itty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:30 pm

I thought so too...but she's been at it for about a year now...Usually if she's going thru a phase she drops it sooner. I hope she drops it, to be honest...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Keep talking about it. Question, and when she gives incorrect answers, explain to her the difference as you understand them. Mentoring, or coaching isn't forbidden in your sect is it?

If she is truly dedicated to her new-found beliefs, she'll listen, and maybe even come around. If not...... (shrugs) at least she got well grounded information.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Very true John. Thanks. ^_^

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Honestly you can't teach them. All you can do is offer correction when they make mistakes. If they ask, direct them to some basic works you think explain things simply enough for a "scanner" not a deep reader to absorb, but honestly just the occasional correction is all you can hope to get through.

With most people its just a phase. With some people the phase can last a few decades....

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top